HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

interesting UFA's still available...young, cheap and once had upside!!! plus others..

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
shayne

vCash: 500
interesting UFA's still available...young, cheap and once had upside!!! plus others..

alexei smirnov ...ducks
libor ustraul...Atlanta...monster D prospect once upon a time
brad brown...buffalo
orszagh...preds
blackburn...rags...i know about the double blocker but still
cleary and tselios ...phoenix

a little older but jan Hlavac and bates battaglia with the rags and caps

and then the older vets that may still help like savage, damphousse cechmanec etc

Old
08-22-2005, 11:19 PM
McCabe24

I think someone would be smart to take a chance on Orszagh. He looked pretty good in Nashville, and if he can overcome his injury by training camp, he'd make a very solid addition to any teams 2nd/3rd lines. I think the only reason Nashville let him go was because they thought he wouldn't recover, but they loved him and he was still in their plans.

Smirnov is back in Russia, probably for good I believe...as may be Chistov.

Blackburn unfortunately may be at the end of his short career. It's a sad story...so much potential. I don't think any teams would take the chance on him though...now he's unfortunately "damaged goods".

I don't think there is much hope for Hlavac, Savage or Cechmanek though...either too old, too pricey, or just not good enough for today's new NHL.

Just my thoughts.

Old
08-23-2005, 02:14 AM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
I would like to see the wings take a chance on Orszagh, as some others on the wings board have suggested already. He could be a decent fill in on either one of our top lines. He could maybe put up 50 points or so with Dats and Hank or Shanny and Lang.

Old
08-23-2005, 02:17 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Radulov in Chicago as well. He's a bit inconsistent, but he's got a boat load of raw talent, I assume he'll play in Russia, but if Edmonton didnt have so many young kids trying to break through, I'd take a flyer on him for sure.

Old
08-23-2005, 02:31 AM
mercury

I could see Orszagh fitting in well in Philly. He could be a 20-20 guy with good linemates.

Old
08-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Beef03

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe24

Blackburn unfortunately may be at the end of his short career. It's a sad story...so much potential. I don't think any teams would take the chance on him though...now he's unfortunately "damaged goods".

I don't think it's quite over for Blackburn yet. First round selections will always get a second or third chance. However he will have to go down to the lower minors and work his way back up ala Fred Brathwaite. He's a project and given the right handlers could be back in the NHL one day.
He is not a solution, however, for today.

Old
08-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe24
I think someone would be smart to take a chance on Orszagh. He looked pretty good in Nashville, and if he can overcome his injury by training camp, he'd make a very solid addition to any teams 2nd/3rd lines. I think the only reason Nashville let him go was because they thought he wouldn't recover, but they loved him and he was still in their plans.
I'm sure someone will be willing to roll the dice on the guy. From what i remember, he was a decent player in Nashville and seems to be a bit of a fan favourite. Heres hoping he recovers in time for the start of the season and can find a team.

as for the older free agents, i don't think anyone has started the 'old, expensive and once had hair' thread yet, have they?

Old
08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
steveburfoot

Send a message via Yahoo to steveburfoot
Wouldn't Blackburn run in to the if you want insurance money you have to quit playing thing?
And would he give up a couple of million dollars in insurance money for the chance to work up from the minors?
As far as I am aware, Berard only came back as a team offered him an NHL contract so he could pay back the insurance money. I don't think blackburn is in that situation.
I think someone should take a chance on Cleary, he idd Ok here with the Yotes and has just been a victim to numbers

Old
08-23-2005, 09:59 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne
....tselios ...phoenix

a little older but jan Hlavac and bates battaglia with the rags and caps
Ever not dominate on the IHL/AHL level, Tselios is just a straight up bust. Hlavac is not worth it because of his inconsistency (don't forget the Charmin quality softness), and Battaglia is "you get what you get type of player". He doesn't have upside, and all he can basically do is hit people and grind. That's it. Still, out of that group Battaglia isn't exactly worthless but he shouldn't expect a big paycheck again.

Blackburn just needs time in the AHL. He'll be a NHL'er one day but maybe not the star everyone was hoping for. Maybe a better version of Jamie Storr I mention Storr because he's another goalie who should not have been subjected to NHL pressures so early in his professional career.

Last edited by HughJass*: 08-23-2005 at 10:09 AM. Reason: damn you, grammar
Old
08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Season Ticket Holder

I'm not sure anyone will sign Orszagh while he remains injured and it's unclear as to when he can start. His salary would just sit there going against the cap, which is why the Preds didn't resign him in the first place as far as I know (not because they didn't want him).

Once he's closer to ready I'm sure he'll find somewhere to play. And there might be a team with lots of cap room willing to sign him earlier rather than later: he seemed to be a legit 3rd liner, with 2nd line potential, gritty, speedy, decent offensive upside...

As for Blackburn, I can't imagine he can compete at the NHL level with two blockers, it just doesn't make any sense. There's also talk about insurance money, etc. etc. and it makes sense for him to take that I'd say. Bottomline, can a goalie in the NHL, starter or backup, legitimately play with 2 blockers? And if he can is he any better than the host of other goalie options that are out there? Unless Blackburn is at minimum marginally better than the worst backup out there with the 2 blockers, he's finished.

I'm sure a few of those other guys will find deals, although some might go to Europe (return to Russia).

STH

Old
08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Blackburn just needs time in the AHL. He'll be a NHL'er one day but maybe not the star everyone was hoping for. Maybe a better version of Jamie Storr I mention Storr because he's another goalie who should not have been subjected to NHL pressures so early in his professional career.
this seems to indicate you don't know what blackburn's situation is. he wasn't ruined by being rushed or by NHL pressure (though there's definatly a case to be made for the rangers leaving him in juniors instead of bringing him up), he suffered a bad nerve injury while working out during the summer, back in 2003 i think it was. bottom line is, he still can't use a catching glove. his arm just won't do the motion needed.

Old
08-23-2005, 06:20 PM
davalanche96

Now than colorado signed all players without Hahl. And they have cap space..I think then Orzagh and Damphousse could help the team...

Old
08-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Impossibles

Blackburn's insurance gives him the option of playing 15 games to see if he can resume his hockey career, he played a few games last year, and now has a few games this year to see if he is able to continue playing pro hockey.

So he will be at Rangers camp, but will make his decision soon. If he decides he can't do it, the payout is huge, like $5 million.

This info is from John Davidson, on MOJO radio in Vancouver.

Closed Thread