Notices

How Good Is Sutter?

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
How Good Is Sutter?

The Flames are the ONLY team with no RFAs of note to sign. The only one.

Davidson says "Over a short period of time, he has proven to be one of the best hockey minds in the business".

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Mo...83166-sun.html

He was wasting his time on the bench in San Jose I guess. Gotta appreciate King and company for recognizing his talent too.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:04 PM
kruezer

I certainly do like the job Sutter has done with the RFAs for sure. The more and more time he gets as GM the better he looks.

I really wouldn't mind if he stepped upstairs completely after this year, focus himself completely on GMing, so long as he can get a coach that is on the same page as he is.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
chriss_co

i have to admit i underestimated how good of a GM Sutter has proven to be.. he has done well in trades and in contracts

the one thing tho that bugs me a bit is the fact that the Flames have kind of locked up much of the team for awhile now.. and especially for next year when the cap is expected to decrease, im not sure if calgary will have any room to maneuveur or even sign their own players to larger contracts (ie if lombardi or kobasew go nuts this year - tho that is more a dream than likely to occur)

Old
08-22-2005, 08:34 PM
abracanada

You have got to like the future of this franchise. Things are under control financially with the new CBA, excellent group of owners, and some real skill at the helm.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:41 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
i have to admit i underestimated how good of a GM Sutter has proven to be.. he has done well in trades and in contracts

the one thing tho that bugs me a bit is the fact that the Flames have kind of locked up much of the team for awhile now.. and especially for next year when the cap is expected to decrease, im not sure if calgary will have any room to maneuveur or even sign their own players to larger contracts (ie if lombardi or kobasew go nuts this year - tho that is more a dream than likely to occur)
I agree on that CC, next summer I could see Calgary being forced to deal someone to clear some cap space, it will be a test of the depth I think, but I think they have more depth now than for the past 8 years and taking a hit by trading a guy for picks may not be too problematic.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I agree on that CC, next summer I could see Calgary being forced to deal someone to clear some cap space, it will be a test of the depth I think, but I think they have more depth now than for the past 8 years and taking a hit by trading a guy for picks may not be too problematic.

and on top of that, every team will be forced to move salary, so it wont seem like much of a hit since most other successful teams will be in the same boat.

Closed Thread