HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Gallagher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2015, 05:43 PM
  #76
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Rapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
It's mental toughness. Gallagher has needed it since every single league he came up in said he would never make it. Small players have to work harder to show they belong in the NHL it's nice to see start scoring he started slowly but has picked it up.
He was my odds on favorite for the Calder and I'm still convinced he got jobbed.
He was the most effective rookie of his class.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 10:58 PM
  #77
Tyson
Registered User
 
Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 11,299
vCash: 500
Amazing how small European players get picked in the first round but a kid like Gallagher gets chosen in the 5th round because of his size.
He is putting up numbers of a player chosen in the 1st round. A damn warrior he is!

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:19 AM
  #78
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 14,951
vCash: 500
ive been calling the crease gallagher's office for a while now

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 08:59 AM
  #79
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,810
vCash: 1907
I remember thinking that Gallagher was an overrated prospect, similar to Avtsin, just a guy who people got hyped up about because of his junior point total. So glad that he made the team, so glad he became an impact player, and so glad he might actually be taking it even a step further and becoming a bonafide first liner.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:04 AM
  #80
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Amazing how small European players get picked in the first round but a kid like Gallagher gets chosen in the 5th round because of his size.
He is putting up numbers of a player chosen in the 1st round. A damn warrior he is!
To be fair he didn't have great hands, wasn't particularly fast and didn't have a good shot.

There's a lot of players like him in the CHL that don't amount to anything.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
  #81
Beendair Donedat
Registered User
 
Beendair Donedat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
To be fair he didn't have great hands, wasn't particularly fast and didn't have a good shot.

There's a lot of players like him in the CHL that don't amount to anything.
Sigh.

He's the all time leader in goals for the Vancouver Giants and had years of 41, 44 and 41 goals scored. He was known for his terrific hands both for tipping pucks and scoring in tight spots and for his lighting quick release and accuracy behind a very solid shot.

That's on the scouting report for this very site! The only reason he went in the fifth round was the concern about his size at the pro level.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:32 AM
  #82
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Sigh.

He's the all time leader in goals for the Vancouver Giants and had years of 41, 44 and 41 goals scored. He was known for his terrific hands both for tipping pucks and scoring in tight spots and for his lighting quick release and accuracy behind a very solid shot.

That's on the scouting report for this very site! The only reason he went in the fifth round was the concern about his size at the pro level.
I didn't mean that he had poor hands or a poor shot. Just that they weren't anything spectacular to consider him before the 5th round.

Even back then the consensus was that he got his points with sheer determination along with a decent set of skills. At least that's how I remember it.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:38 AM
  #83
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,856
vCash: 500
Awards:
The thinking was, yeah he can get those goals and points around the front of the net playing against junior guys, but how in the world is he going to survive playing that kind of game against the Charas and the Prongers of the league?

What's even more insane about Gallagher's progression is that he only played 36 AHL games before becoming an NHLer, and even then, it's because the NHL was locked out. It's entirely possible he would have made the jump from juniors to the NHL with no AHL time in between. Pretty crazy to think.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:39 AM
  #84
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I didn't mean that he had poor hands or a poor shot. Just that they weren't anything spectacular to consider him before the 5th round.

Even back then the consensus was that he got his points with sheer determination along with a decent set of skills. At least that's how I remember it.
His size dropped him in the draft. He had a very good East-West game and scored a lot of goals from the low slot with a tip or hot wrister. And yes, he was always the most determined player on all his teams. Still is, as far as I can see.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:54 AM
  #85
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,604
vCash: 5901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Amazing how small European players get picked in the first round but a kid like Gallagher gets chosen in the 5th round because of his size.
He is putting up numbers of a player chosen in the 1st round. A damn warrior he is!
As per a random tweet (unconfirmed stats):

Robert Rice ‏@RobertB_Rice 24h24 hours ago
#Habs Brendan Gallagher is 8th in scoring among 2010 draft picks. 7th in goals. Everyone ahead of him? Went in the first 16 picks.


Last edited by Runner77: 10-26-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:57 AM
  #86
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
I really think he's the spark for this team. If he's not going, the rest of the team is not the same.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:58 AM
  #87
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,604
vCash: 5901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
ive been calling the crease gallagher's office for a while now
This:



If you google "Gally's office", there's a site where it's being offered.

Recent pic from Buffalo GDT:



Last edited by Runner77: 10-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 11:15 AM
  #88
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,604
vCash: 5901
A capture from his boy's band ad with Sugar Sammy:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa_Z...us8tLomdnrzpSS

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 11:19 AM
  #89
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
I still think that his talent is quite limited.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 11:45 AM
  #90
Plastic Joseph
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I still think that his talent is quite limited.
Who cares? Not every player on a SCF winning team has to be oozing talent, some need to do the dirty work and Gallagher is a perfect cog for the Habs right now.

Plastic Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 11:47 AM
  #91
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
I've been noticing that his passing skills seem to be improved. I'm not saying that simply because he has 5 or so assists so far this season. I've seen him make passes that I don't think he would have had the vision and precision to have been able to make last season.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 11:52 AM
  #92
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I still think that his talent is quite limited.
I respectfully disagree. He's not using all his talent because he's always in the paint. He's tough enough to manage that, but, IMO, it's not actually the best use of his abilities. Eller or soon, McCarron, are much better options for the front of net.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:00 PM
  #93
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,856
vCash: 500
Awards:
Ryan Smyth could barely shoot a puck but was a player anyone would take on their team in his prime. Same for Gallagher. Who cares about technical polish. He gets it done.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:08 PM
  #94
Sam I Am
Registered User
 
Sam I Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I respectfully disagree. He's not using all his talent because he's always in the paint. He's tough enough to manage that, but, IMO, it's not actually the best use of his abilities. Eller or soon, McCarron, are much better options for the front of net.
Gallagher is a very good puck-handler and has an incredible instinct for the net. His shot is very good.

He is a scorer and has been at every level of hockey. Someone has already alluded to his all-time club records in junior. I would add that he was extremely menacing pretty much every shift he played during the WJC even though his goal total for the tournament didn't completely reflect that.

Sure, his compete level is off the charts. But there is much more to him than that.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:09 PM
  #95
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Gallagher is a very good puck-handler and has an incredible instinct for the net. His shot is very good.

He is a scorer and has been at every level of hockey. Someone has already alluded to his all-time club records in junior. I would add that he was extremely menacing pretty much every shift he played during the WJC even though his goal total for the tournament didn't completely reflect that.

Sure, his compete level is off the charts. But there is much more to him than that.
Exactly what I'm saying.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:22 PM
  #96
G0bias
Registered User
 
G0bias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
I've been wanting the Patch-Plek-Gally as our first line for a long time. But I'll be honest, I didn't expect Gally to keep pace with them offensively. He's doing great.

G0bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:25 PM
  #97
Halakitlikethat
Registered User
 
Halakitlikethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Prince George BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
legit first liner. what a deal bergy signed him to aswell.

Halakitlikethat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:26 PM
  #98
ColinO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Any chance we can get Gallagher to play RW on the 1s line and the 2nd line? Then I think we would really be in business.

ColinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:38 PM
  #99
DJyellow
Registered User
 
DJyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
As per a random tweet (unconfirmed stats):

Robert Rice ‏@RobertB_Rice 24h24 hours ago
#Habs Brendan Gallagher is 8th in scoring among 2010 draft picks. 7th in goals. Everyone ahead of him? Went in the first 16 picks.
I confirm these stats (just sort by points)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html

Here's the top 20 in points from the 2010 class

Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall
Jeff Skinner
Ryan Johansen
Cam Fowler
Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz
Brendan Gallagher
Justin Faulk
Mikael Granlund
Tyler Toffoli
Nick Bjugstad
Charlie Coyle
Mark Stone
Nino Niederreiter
Brock Nelson
Riley Sheahan
Alexander Burmistrov
Evgeny Kuznetsov

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:44 PM
  #100
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,604
vCash: 5901
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
I confirm these stats (just sort by points)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html(...)
Thanks for that. Good to see it was accurate.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.