HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NO OLN Hockey Coverage on Cablevision

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I've said it before and I'll say it again, NHL owners are the greediest people ever.

**** BETTMAN

$60 Million for OLN instead of taking in less money for ESPN...incredible

AND **** DOLAN TOO

Last edited by nyrmessier011: 08-23-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
These "cable wars" really irritate me. Why doesn't the government crack down on this by banning cable operators to own cable content. That seems like the easiest fix, I mean we have anti-trust/anti-commerce laws, why doesn't Senor Bush and Co. actually enforce them?

Old
08-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Do you know that Cablevision owns the Rangers? The same people selling me a Rangers ticket have a made a concious decision to prevent me from seeing 8 games a year on THEIR service in what amounts to a unrinating contest.
Ah I never knew that Cablevision owns the rangers. Do they own MSG and the Knicks too?

Old
08-23-2005, 12:59 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm hesitant to get irie with the NHL because I'm sure they (a) don't care and (b) probably have no influence over network contracts. My question is, who has the power to lift the blackout? OLN or the carrier?
It does make sense in the same way when local teams were on Espn2 the game would be blacked out because Msg-Fox-Metro ect would be the carrier, that may be what happens when the Isles/Rangers/Devils are the OLN game.

OLN just signed this contract, it's early. The Cablevision/Comcast problems are the biggest concern because of the lawsuit with the Mets that cablevision just lost.

Old
08-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
It does make sense in the same way when local teams were on Espn2 the game would be blacked out because Msg-Fox-Metro ect would be the carrier, that may be what happens when the Isles/Rangers/Devils are the OLN game.
That's not what the article says. What it says is that if you receive OLN as part of a tiered sports package, OLN will not broadcast the game to your carrier. The idea is to force carriers to put OLN on basic extended service. If your carrier will not, you won't see the game.

Old
08-24-2005, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
In an effort to force Cablevision to move OLN to basic, the NHL agreed to allow its games to be pawns. In choosing to allow the blackouts, it has made it impossible for 3 million viewers to see some of its games

"We are committed to the NHL. We hope to resolve this issue in the near term," an OLN spokesperson said, while confirming the Cablevision blackout.

After canceling a season, the NHL's attitude seems to want fans to trust it.

"We drop the puck on Oct. 5," an NHL spokesman said. "Fans shouldn't be overly concerned at this point
."
http://www.nypost.com/sports/27301.htm

The fan friendly NHL

Old
08-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
John Davidson, who will be Emrick's NBC partner, is also negotiating with OLN.
Wonder if that means JD will not be the analyst for Ranger games, or will just miss games on Monday and Tuesday?

Old
08-24-2005, 08:31 AM
True Blue

""We drop the puck on Oct. 5," an NHL spokesman said. "Fans shouldn't be overly concerned at this point." "

I do not understand how not allowing 3 million viewers to watch the season opener, after not being around for an entire year, is not a cause for concern.
It irks me becuase, it just seems like Bettman and the powers that be are almost trying to pretend like the lost season did not occur. They wish you to believe that it is buisiness as usual. Not a concern? How can it not be?
The other part that annoys me is that it seems that Bettman and the NHL are taking the whole "hockey fans are all diehards who will do anything to get their hockey" attitude just a little too far. I have not seen any overtures to fans after canceling an entire season. Baseball figured it out after the strike. They kissed up to the fans. The NFL did too after their strike. The NBA was able to figure out their CBA in one afternoon. Not the NHL. After the sheer stupidity of canceling an entire season, they seem to have the attitude that the NHL fan is like a sheep, flocking to their every whim. It seems to me, that this deal was struck with the idea that the average NHL fan will rush out and spend what is necessary so that there can be hockey in their lives.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Here was the response I got from Cablevision after asking about the OLN blackouts in our area:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. I understand your concern and would be happy to assist
you further. Please, be advised iO Sports Pak is available to all customers with
an iO digital converter or a CableCARD-equipped Digital Cable Ready TV. The OLN
channel is a part of iO Sports Pak.

iO Sports Pak is the ultimate in sports & active lifestyle entertainment! iO
Sports Pak includes ten exciting networks, spotlighting everything from extreme
sports and recreational activities to exclusive coverage of golf, soccer, and
college sports. The monthly cost is $4.95.

Please, call your local Sales to make your order.
Customer service at it's finest.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Here was the response I got from Cablevision after asking about the OLN blackouts in our area:

Customer service at it's finest.
Are you friggin kidding me? We trash the heck out of it and they try to sell it to us still? May be time to call and rant.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
""We drop the puck on Oct. 5," an NHL spokesman said. "Fans shouldn't be overly concerned at this point." "

I do not understand how not allowing 3 million viewers to watch the season opener, after not being around for an entire year, is not a cause for concern.
It irks me becuase, it just seems like Bettman and the powers that be are almost trying to pretend like the lost season did not occur. They wish you to believe that it is buisiness as usual. Not a concern? How can it not be?
The other part that annoys me is that it seems that Bettman and the NHL are taking the whole "hockey fans are all diehards who will do anything to get their hockey" attitude just a little too far. I have not seen any overtures to fans after canceling an entire season. Baseball figured it out after the strike. They kissed up to the fans. The NFL did too after their strike. The NBA was able to figure out their CBA in one afternoon. Not the NHL. After the sheer stupidity of canceling an entire season, they seem to have the attitude that the NHL fan is like a sheep, flocking to their every whim. It seems to me, that this deal was struck with the idea that the average NHL fan will rush out and spend what is necessary so that there can be hockey in their lives.
It seems like everyone that's not effected by this circumstance likes this OLN deal. Anyways, when Bettman says all that stuff he's talking about all the hockey fans in the US, and doesn't have to kiss up to the fans who live locally around new york, new jersey and long island, which have cablevision.

Old
08-24-2005, 11:00 AM
MikeT98213

I know it is not practical for many people, but everyone with Cablevision should seriously consider DirecTV. They understand the needs of sports fans and have never failed to deliver the games except, of course, for the Metro nonsense where Cablevision was able, through a loophole, to withhold them from satellite delivery.

When the Yankees created YES, DirecTV was the first to sign on with them and I'm pretty confident that DirecTV will sign on with the new Mets network while Mets fans bite their fingernails all the way until next Opening Day.

Old
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
It seems like everyone that's not effected by this circumstance likes this OLN deal. Anyways, when Bettman says all that stuff he's talking about all the hockey fans in the US, and doesn't have to kiss up to the fans who live locally around new york, new jersey and long island, which have cablevision.
1. I do not think that people are only negative because they have or do not have access to OLN. They just have opinions.
2. Yes, Bettman DOES have to kiss up to fans. Not only Bettman, but every single person who is responsible for the NHL and every single owner does as well. This is a sport that has no casual fans. This is the same sport that has the dubious distinction of being the only one in history to cancel an entire season. That act is going to cause the NHL to loose fans. There have been no new fans cultivated in the last 10 years. So, yes, Bettman and the NHL have some serious tukhus kissing to do if they want to win fans back. Otherwise, they are loosing fans that they cannot afford to loose. And pi$$ing of a fanbase that covers the tri-state area is not step in the right direction. This is no small market. Loose the fans in this area, and you are adding another nail in the NHL's coffin.

Old
08-24-2005, 06:59 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
The NHL is just so FiFTH RATE

its disgusting how low they've fallen

Old
08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
jratelle19

Well, since this raw deal from OLN and Cablevision does not affect the numerous fans in Nashville, Carolina or Florida, don't expect Bettman or the rest of his flunkies in the "New NHL" to bend over backwards to help rectify the matter.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:01 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Here is the response that I received from Cablevision regarding any possibility of OLN being moved to basic service:

Response (Mathew C) - 08/28/2005 11:12 PM
> Dear Valued Customer,
>
> Thank you for your e-mail, I understand your
> concerns and would be happy to address them.
>
> Cablevision carries two regional sports networks as
> part of our family tier of channels, MSG Network and
> FSN New York. Both channels are home to our three
> local hockey teams, the NY Rangers, NY Islanders and
> NJ Devils, and will be the primary distributor of up
> to 210 games for the 2005-2006 NHL season.
>
> All remaining NHL games will be televised on either
> WNBC or OLN; WNBC will carry 7 regular-season games
> and OLN will televise 58. OLN is one of the 10
> channels currently offered as part of Cablevision’s
> iO Sports Pak; it is available to all Family Cable
> customers and above with a digital cable box for an
> additional $4.95 per month. Currently there are no
> plans of moving it out of the IO service and into
> basic service. The iO Sports Pak includes 10
> exciting networks, spotlighting everything from
> extreme sports and recreational activities to
> exclusive coverage of golf, soccer, and college
> sports.
>
> Please visit us at www.cablevision.com for
> additional information about the iO Sports Pak or
> any of the other services that Cablevision has to
> offer.
>
> Thank you for choosing Cablevision,
>
>
>
> Matt
> Cablevision Shared Services

Old
08-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Appearently Matt doesn't know those games on OLN are blacked out for us.

Old
08-29-2005, 04:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Maybe Comcast can't blackout OLN afterall

From Larry Brooks

Quote:
Despite repeated OLN claims to the contrary, the NHL's new cable network partner does not have the contractual right to black out games carried by Cablevision on a digital subscription tier, unimpeachable sources have told The Post

According to sources with access to the contract between OLN and the NHL, the specific language granting the right to black out games that do not appear on basic extended cable applies only "on a going-forward basis."

This is terminology in the cable business legally understood to mean any future agreements that might be struck between OLN and new cable system carriers.

Beyond that, the contract explicitly gives the NHL the right to approve the telecast of any game over any cable syste.

That's regardless of whether the game would or would not appear on a subscription sports tier package
http://www.nypost.com/sports/27446.htm

If you have or plan to add the sports pack,you should be able to see all of the games on OLN on Cablevision

Old
08-29-2005, 08:11 AM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

what channel is OLN on Time Warner?

eom

Old
08-30-2005, 07:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
OLN REFUTES REPORT. Comcast-owned OLN, the NHL's new cable TV partner, refuted a newspaper report that declared that Cablevision subscribers would be able to watch NHL games this season on the company's sports tier.

"We cannot discuss specific language within the NHL contract," an OLN spokesman. "We can state with certainty that, while it's our desire to resolve this issue prior to our first game, the blackout guidelines previously communicated remain in effect."
- Steve Zipay
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

What's going on here?

Old
08-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
What's going on here?
"...it's our desire to resolve this issue prior to our first game" means, 'we expect Cablevision to buckle to our demands for placement on basic and higher rates for OLN'. There's just no way OLN is going to back off their legal agreement, especially now that they're getting exactly what they want.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Was it Brooks who wrote that article in the Post about OLN being shown on cablevision?

Fischler and Brooks should be part of the ice surface this year. Even if it wasnt him that wrote the article.

Anyway...This is nuts. Too good to be true yesterday I knew this would happen. OLN got the deal that they wanted with the NHL, they arent gonna let the likes of Dolan ***** out the hockey games they just ecstatically trumped ESPN for. This is big time for Comcast and they are gonna squeeze every penny out of the public and other cable providers. Cablevision has to comply or we are crap out of luck.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Was it Brooks who wrote that article in the Post about OLN being shown on cablevision?
Brooks' article said that the contract seemed to say that the blackout would only apply to cable operators who currently have no contract at all with OLN. OLN is now assuring us that's not the case.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Brooks' article said that the contract seemed to say that the blackout would only apply to cable operators who currently have no contract at all with OLN. OLN is now assuring us that's not the case.
What an idiot. "seemed"

Someone should "seem" to hit him in the the head with a tackhammer

Old
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

He has never seen the contract. He was only quoting unnamed sources with "access" to it.

Closed Thread