HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

A sobering look on the poor in America

Old
04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
They don't "rarely" go Republican when it comes time to vote for a president. They vote for the most conservative candidate, which is the Republican. And the Democrats they do elect are extremely conservative.
Historically still wrong, I think it has to do more with the amount going military, which Republican a president is more beneficial for them.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
They don't "rarely" go Republican when it comes time to vote for a president. They vote for the most conservative candidate, which is the Republican. And the Democrats they do elect are extremely conservative.
They aren't DINOs. They are a completely different breed of political folk. Pro-union to the point of being violent about it.

They've only went Republican recently.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
They aren't DINOs. They are a completely different breed of political folk. Pro-union to the point of being violent about it.

They've only went Republican recently.
Even voted for Carter for a 2nd term, lol.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Misfits View Post
Historically still wrong, I think it has to do more with the amount going military, which Republican a president is more beneficial for them.
The last time they voted for a non-Southern Democrat was 1988. They're now solidly conservative. I mean, "historically" Maine and Vermont were the only states to vote against FDR in 1936! The new normal is that WV only votes for Republicans and extremely conservative Democrats.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The last time they voted for a non-Southern Democrat was 1988. They're now solidly conservative. I mean, "historically" Maine and Vermont were the only states to vote against FDR in 1936! The new normal is that WV only votes for Republicans and extremely conservative Democrats.
You're just incorrect. They would've voted for Hillary over Romney for sure and over McCain. She was leading McCain by 5 points.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Sevanston

Carter's one of the more underrated American presidents, especially by fiscal conservatives.

A number of Reagan's great deregulation successes were actually things that started under Jimmy. He's also one of the few presidents that's taken an "all of the above" approach to energy policy and actually stuck to it. Part of the reason WV voted for him was probably that, despite his fight with the miners union, he was still very pro-coal, just like he was pro-solar, pro-nuclear, pro-wind, etc.

He got left holding the bag with Iran and the 70s economy, and he was punished for it. That happens to presidents, sometimes they get held accountable for things that they really couldn't do much about. But all in all, Carter was pretty good.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
You're just incorrect. They would've voted for Hillary over Romney for sure and over McCain. She was leading McCain by 5 points.
Hillary is also a conservative Democrat. When the nominee is a liberal, he gets crushed in West Virginia, fact. They are extremely conservative voters. What is the argument here?

Old
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Hillary is also a conservative Democrat. When the nominee is a liberal, he gets crushed in West Virginia, fact. They are extremely conservative voters. What is the argument here?
She's not a conservative Democrat at all. What are you talking about? She's closer to moderate than liberal, but she's certainly not a conservative Democrat. My argument is that I know a lot more about the state and what it votes for than you do.

Joe Manchin is a conservative Democrat. Hillary Clinton is not.

WV currently has one relatively liberal Democrat senator and one conservative Democrat senator.

Last edited by Bird Law: 04-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old
04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Even voted for Carter for a 2nd term, lol.
Oh the horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Carter's one of the more underrated American presidents, especially by fiscal conservatives.

A number of Reagan's great deregulation successes were actually things that started under Jimmy. He's also one of the few presidents that's taken an "all of the above" approach to energy policy and actually stuck to it. Part of the reason WV voted for him was probably that, despite his fight with the miners union, he was still very pro-coal, just like he was pro-solar, pro-nuclear, pro-wind, etc.

He got left holding the bag with Iran and the 70s economy, and he was punished for it. That happens to presidents, sometimes they get held accountable for things that they really couldn't do much about. But all in all, Carter was pretty good.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Last edited by Doppler Drift: 04-22-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Saw the second post
Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Oh the horror.
Carter is a great guy. His appearance on Maher was awesome.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

To win in WV:
Pro Coal
Pro Military
Pro Guns
Pro Benefits
Pro Union

Reason Bush did so good was because of Cheney, which owner Haliburton, who outside of the coal miners made good money in the state.

WV is probably the most armed per capita state, don't mess with the guns.

With the mass exodus of younger folks seeking jobs and military to get out of WV, lots of older folk on benefits, so you can't touch that.

Some of those places they talk about people being that poor don't care and don't want you coming there either. Lots of weird ass people around that state. Company my dad worked for built that bridge in War WV. If you have ever been to War, you know what bridge that is.

The Union was pretty much created the way it is from WV Coal industry. Unions are very hard core up there.

A lot of the really rural areas voters vote for who ever gave them the most money at the polls.

And honestly, I don't think the politicians in WV want them educated, dumb people are easier to control.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

McDowell is sort of nuts in general. It's a pretty big swath of land with only around 20K people living there.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
McDowell is sort of nuts in general. It's a pretty big swath of land with only around 20K people living there.
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of WV.... Yeah, it's a documentary.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of WV.... Yeah, it's a documentary.
That's Boone County, homie.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
To win in WV:
Pro Coal
Pro Military
Pro Guns
Pro Benefits
Pro Union

Reason Bush did so good was because of Cheney, which owner Haliburton, who outside of the coal miners made good money in the state.

WV is probably the most armed per capita state, don't mess with the guns.

With the mass exodus of younger folks seeking jobs and military to get out of WV, lots of older folk on benefits, so you can't touch that.

Some of those places they talk about people being that poor don't care and don't want you coming there either. Lots of weird ass people around that state. Company my dad worked for built that bridge in War WV. If you have ever been to War, you know what bridge that is.

The Union was pretty much created the way it is from WV Coal industry. Unions are very hard core up there.

A lot of the really rural areas voters vote for who ever gave them the most money at the polls.

And honestly, I don't think the politicians in WV want them educated, dumb people are easier to control.
So in other words the candidate has to be a DINO, RINO or Independent.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
So in other words the candidate has to be a DINO, RINO or Independent.
Not at all. Jay Rockefeller certainly isn't a DINO. Manchin is a conservative Democrat but I would say he's closer to an independent than anything else since he votes with the Dems a lot.

I don't think it's possible to be a DINO and be ultra-pro union and pro-benefits.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
That's Boone County, homie.
I know.... McDowell is what, an hour away?

Old
04-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Not at all. Jay Rockefeller certainly isn't a DINO. Manchin is a conservative Democrat but I would say he's closer to an independent than anything else since he votes with the Dems a lot.

I don't think it's possible to be a DINO and be ultra-pro union and pro-benefits.
Manchin got in cause of the Coal Bowl stuff from being governor.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I know.... McDowell is what, an hour away?
Roughly. In all reality, the entire SW area of the state is just dreadful.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Manchin got in cause of the Coal Bowl stuff from being governor.
Yep. His support for coal is second to none. I think everyone remembers his AR-15 cap and trade ad. His battles with Blankenship, though, were hysterical.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

With that said, this should probably get back on topic.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Ugmo

Quote:

Rockefeller won that seat in 1984. He wouldn't win it today, and it's not going to go to a Democrat this year. It's a conversative state. Enough with the nonsense.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Rockefeller won that seat in 1984. He wouldn't win it today, and it's not going to go to a Democrat this year. It's a conversative state. Enough with the nonsense.
I actually agree with you. What the ****?

Incumbency trumps a lot of things.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The only one spewing nonsense here is you, man. If Rockefeller wouldn't win it today, you'd of expected him to have at least a remote challenger during the last cycle. Even after he endorsed Obama (whom the state didn't like). You'd also have expected Hillary to get trumped by McCain (whom she would have defeated quite easily there).

The state is not strictly conservative at all. It's conservative on social issues and liberal on many economic issues. There isn't a more pro union state in the country, I'd say. I wouldn't classify the state one way or the other since the politics are so strange inside the state compared to other states.

One of the most liberal Attorney Generals in the country presided in the state for years. He was finally taken out, though, in the last cycle.

Let me know the next time you call someone conservative who is insanely pro-union and pro-government benefits.

Old
04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
The only one spewing nonsense here is you, man. If Rockefeller wouldn't win it today, you'd of expected him to have at least a remote challenger during the last cycle. Even after he endorsed Obama (whom the state didn't like). You'd also have expected Hillary to get trumped by McCain (whom she would have defeated quite easily there).

The state is not strictly conservative at all. It's conservative on social issues and liberal on many economic issues. There isn't a more pro union state in the country, I'd say. I wouldn't classify the state one way or the other since the politics are so strange inside the state compared to other states.

One of the most liberal Attorney Generals in the country presided in the state for years. He was finally taken out, though, in the last cycle.

Let me know the next time you call someone conservative who is insanely pro-union and pro-government benefits.
He means if he were to run for the first time today.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote