HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simpson Goes To Anaheim... Travis Green to Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Face Wash

vCash: 500
Simpson Goes To Anaheim... and all the moves

Toronto took Peter Tenkrat from CLB. Nothing for the Kings, which is expected...

www.tsn.ca

Pittsburgh takes D Nolan Baumgartner from Vancouver
Nashville takes F Wade Brookbank from Ottawa
Atlanta takes F Serge Aubin from Colorado
Montreal takes F Darren Langdon from Vancouver
New York Rangers take F Joel Bouchard from Pittsburgh
New York Rangers take F Sheldon Keefe from Tampa Bay
New York Rangers take F Mike Siklenka from Philadelphia
Nashville takes G Chris Mason from Florida
Atlanta takes Ronald Petrovicky from New York Rangers
Montreal takes F Steve Begin from Buffalo
Washington takes Brian Willsie from Colorado
Washington takes Denis Hamel from Ottawa
Anaheim takes Todd Simpson from Phoenix
St. Louis takes Jeff Heerema from NYR
Florida takes G Steve Valiquette from Edmonton
Carolina takes G Jani Hurme from Florida, trades Hurme to Atlanta for a fourth-round pick

Old
10-03-2003, 11:08 AM
jfont

Awards:
why in the heck didn't the kings pick up a defenseman.

of the list of unprotected players I can identify 2 defenseman that could really help the kings and add some more size at the blueline. you'd think they'll do something with norton going down (granted he's a 6-7 defenseman).

taylor should have pounced on todd simpson who went to the ducks. now i know we pick before the ducks pick...the kings could have had todd for free (well not really i think he gets paid $1.5M)...which is a bargain if you need defensive help.

another player i wanted was chris theirien...big physical defenseman...only makes 2 million dollars (around that much i believe).

why didn't we pick up one of these guys? this is rediculous. i know the defense is playing very well in preseason...but thats all it is preseason. modry is still out and miller won't be back for a while...the kings should have picked up these guys for insurance at least.

10-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Kings didn't pick anyone up because of salary issues, all the guys available were at best #6 d-man, who earlier in their careers were better than that, and thus are paid better than #6 d-man. Todd Simpson is a pylon.

The Kings D will be Norstrom, Miller, Modry, Lubo, Corvo and 2 of Gleason, Grebeshkov, Muir, Zizka, Strbak, Kuznetsov (If he gets here)

Old
10-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Kings didn't pick anyone up because of salary issues, all the guys available were at best #6 d-man, who earlier in their careers were better than that, and thus are paid better than #6 d-man. Todd Simpson is a pylon.

The Kings D will be Norstrom, Miller, Modry, Lubo, Corvo and 2 of Gleason, Grebeshkov, Muir, Zizka, Strbak, Kuznetsov (If he gets here)

Old
10-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Face Wash

I don't have a problem with the Kings not picking anyone... No one on that list for the $$ was any better than the young players we have and/or Muir...

Old
10-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
The Kings don't need another #6/#7 defenseman like the ones available for the waiver draft. When everybody is health they have about 5 or 6 guys that are better than anybody listed. Most of the Kings defenseman also have more upside, so why block these guys with washed-up, tired old dmen?
If the Kings need a dman, they need a bonafide PP QB like Schnieder was for the Kings. Currently, I have no faith in the combined abilities of Modry, Visnovsky and Corvo to lead the PP like Schnieder did. Really I hope those three prove me wrong, because I know the Kings will not acquire a dman of Schnieder's ilk to man the PP. The Kings won't spend the money and they don't want to give up the cheap young prospects or the players with expiring contracts that are going to make this team flexible once the the new CBA comes down.
So, be happy with the team you have, because it's the team you will be seeing for the rest of this season (excluding the all-to-frequent players arriving from Manchester).

Old
10-04-2003, 06:24 AM
StianM

Got to believe that Taylor is working on a trade for another physical d-man... He has said that he's looking for one, and that was before we knew we were without Norton until christmas. On top of that, we'll probably be without Miller for a few gamess to...

Old
10-04-2003, 07:57 AM
jfont

Awards:
For $1.5M:

Simpson, 6'-3" 220 pounds...8 points and a plus 7 on a yotes team that didn't make the playoffs last year (3rd in his team IIRC). He also logged in 17 min. of ice time (5th of all yotes defenseman) and some yotes fans even peg him as a leader.

Now, that really doesn't look like a #6-7 defenseman to me... and by all accounts, if he was picked up by the kings, he would surely be a great help since they have so many injuries to the backline.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:11 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by _KingZ_
Got to believe that Taylor is working on a trade for another physical d-man... He has said that he's looking for one, and that was before we knew we were without Norton until christmas. On top of that, we'll probably be without Miller for a few gamess to...
On the other hand, he plugs in THREE guys who hadn't played a single game in the pre-season due to injury (Modry, Grebeshkov and Lilja) and with these three "virgins" in the lineup, they stifle the Ducks to the tune of no goals, and 17 shots. He's seen an impressive Tim Gleason all camp, and has fringe players like Bryan Muir and Jason Holland who now "know the system" and can fill in during short spurts when a player (like Miller) is injured for brief stretches. I'm not so sure he's in bad shape. Over the long haul we might see a glaring deficiency, but starting the season, I would say we have enough defensemen around to make for both a tough decision during final cut time, and a surplus of young talent if a trade becomes a necessity.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:21 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
On the other hand, he plugs in THREE guys who hadn't played a single game in the pre-season due to injury (Modry, Grebeshkov and Lilja)
ahem, i think you meant strbak...

Closed Thread