HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014-15 Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Necropolis
ainec

vCash: 50
Connolly for Ellis is an intriguing deal. I still think that Connolly could very well be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL but not just in this team, looks like he won't get the opportunity. In Nashville he should have an opportunity to play a top-6 role with PP time. Same thing with Ellis, he probably won't ever get a top-4 role in Nashville playing behind Weber, Josi, Jones and MDZ (although he probably is better than MDZ) but in Lightning he should have a chance to be that top-4 guy. But I don't know enough of Ellis to be honest - how is he defensively? All I know about him is that he's a good PPQB, moves puck well up the ice, has ridiculous slapper, is small and slow skater (so basically a good offensive defenseman albeit a slow one) but I have no idea about his defensive qualities. He did have the highest +/- of the Nashville defensemen but +/- isn't a very reliable stat.

Old
06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
Yes, something around 35-40 points would be a good success for Connolly. Especially if he will play in 3rd line. So I agree with that. He's 22 by May.. but it's not matter. I'm just little bit sad, if I look at the players, which were drafted after him - Skinner, Schwartz, Tarasenko.. We'll see in camp, how he's doing. Hope he finally breakout.

And of course, about a potentially trade of Connolly, I mean it next offseason if he struggles again. Not this offseason.

He has the tools to be a very good hockey player at the NHL level. Time to used them..
It's hard to look at that draft and criticize Murray or SY. Both were just hired not long before the draft, they had to take the risk with Connolly. If he would've became a 30 goal scorer (Not saying he won't) He'd definetly be one of the top players that were drafted that year.

If I were SY that year, a risk was something they had to do. It could've helped the organization rebuild a little quicker (thank god we got Palat/Johnson).

I don't think either SY, Murray or their Area scout saw a lot of Connolly that year due to his Shoulder Injury.

PS What I don't understand is why TB doesn't get Brett Connolly a sport psychologist, I think it would help him out tremendously. I really want Connolly in our top 6/9 this year, I want to see what he can do. If we don't sign Callahan I could see him in front of the net on the PP.

Old
06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Werewolf

What are the boards thoughts on signing Stralman to play next to Hedman next year? At 27 years old - he is used to playing top 4 minutes, playoff and Cup run experience and pretty solid shut down type that will allow Hedman some freedom to roam a bit on defensive end. He is even a righty...not a perfect fit since he doesnt run the PP. But as a Salo replacement on top line - what are the thoughts on cap cost and signing for his services away from NYR?

Old
06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Thunder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
What are the boards thoughts on signing Stralman to play next to Hedman next year? At 27 years old - he is used to playing top 4 minutes, playoff and Cup run experience and pretty solid shut down type that will allow Hedman some freedom to roam a bit on defensive end. He is even a righty...not a perfect fit since he doesnt run the PP. But as a Salo replacement on top line - what are the thoughts on cap cost and signing for his services away from NYR?
He was a + 4 in the playoffs and was pretty solid, skating with Mark Staal. I think he could be a good fit here for a 2nd pairing defense. Price has to be right of course. I think he is one of the UFAs the Rangers lets go.

What do you guys think about Brian Boyle or Dominic Moore? Could really help on the 4th line.

Old
06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Necropolis
ainec

Quote:
I think Strålman would be a great fit. I was really impressed by what I saw of him in the playoffs. Very good hockey sense. And I think he should be able to play PP as well, he hasn't put up big point totals in NYR but a few years back people were saying that he has really good offensive game. Although it might be that he simply isn't that good offensively anymore since there are some Ranger fans that have said that "his offensive game has disappeared". I don't know about that really but yeah, if we can sign him I'm all in for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightning24 View Post
He was a + 4 in the playoffs and was pretty solid, skating with Mark Staal. I think he could be a good fit here for a 2nd pairing defense. Price has to be right of course. I think he is one of the UFAs the Rangers lets go.

What do you guys think about Brian Boyle or Dominic Moore? Could really help on the 4th line.
Can either of them play wing? If so, wouldn't mind signing one of them. I really liked Moore when he played in the Lightning, would be a solid guy to play with Thompson in the fourth line and he would bring some veteran presence to the team as well.

Old
06-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Werewolf

Apparently Stralman turned down $9 Million in 3 years from NYR as an extension during the season. Probably looking at $4 to $4.5 p/yr for 3+ years - not bad for a #2.

Old
06-16-2014, 12:14 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Makes all kinds of sense: even if Stralman doesn't pair well with Carle -- which, IMO, is where he'd ideally slot -- he'd be a safe bet to step right into the spot alongside Hedman vacated by Salo and thrive. Then again, Stralman makes sense for a number of teams and should be highly sought-after if he hits the free market.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 06-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old
06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Thunder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin View Post

Can either of them play wing? If so, wouldn't mind signing one of them. I really liked Moore when he played in the Lightning, would be a solid guy to play with Thompson in the fourth line and he would bring some veteran presence to the team as well.
I know Boyle has been playing the wing because Moore has been at center. Not sure about Moore. Boyle is also a great PK'er

Old
06-16-2014, 01:04 PM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightning24 View Post
I know Boyle has been playing the wing because Moore has been at center. Not sure about Moore. Boyle is also a great PK'er
A lot of teams are going to be after Boyle. I hope SY is on his services. Would be great on 3rd line, help the Rookies feels safe out there. (Drouin, Vlad (if he makes the team), ect.)

Also a line with Nate Thompson, Paquette, and Boyle would be a great energy line.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:38 PM
MattM92

Rumors going around that Vinny would accept a trade to the Panthers

Old
06-16-2014, 01:44 PM
TheDaysOf 04

Some news per https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Quote:
CAR G Cam Ward has full NTC but under right circumstances it's believed he'll waive. In any case, consider him available/expendable in CAR.
Quote:
DAL puts Aaron Rome on unconditional ($125) waivers for purposes of enacting a buyout. Only player on waivers today.
Quote:
DAL made an offer to pending UFA C Vern Fiddler but it was rejected. Stars believe Fiddler is going to UFA. #TSN
Quote:
CHI has told Michal Handzus it is going in a different direction. Big veteran Slovak centre will be going to UFA. #TSN
Quote:
COL shopping winger P.A. Parenteau. Two years left on his deal at $4M per year. #TSN
Quote:
Looks like Ales Hemsky going to UFA. OTT offered 3 yrs for about $10M. Rejected. Sens prepared to trade his UFA rights for pick. #TSN
Quote:
Whatever CBJ plans on doing, it needs to resolve R.J. Umberger situation first. Umberger asked for trade in May. 3 more yrs at $4.5M per. CBJ's last resort would be to buy out Umberger but Jackets hopeful there is a market for him. Remains to be seen the financial implications.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Thunder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslightning79 View Post
A lot of teams are going to be after Boyle. I hope SY is on his services. Would be great on 3rd line, help the Rookies feels safe out there. (Drouin, Vlad (if he makes the team), ect.)

Also a line with Nate Thompson, Paquette, and Boyle would be a great energy line.
Yeah, I know Boyle says he loves it on the Rangers, but if the money is somewhere else, I think he will bite. He is coming out of the playoffs smelling like a rose now. He has more goals than Rick Nash does in the playoffs.

Old
06-16-2014, 02:41 PM
OverpaidGrinder

Shawn Thornton not getting re upped by the B's. I don't know the Bolts well enough yet, would he be of use on the 4th line?

Old
06-16-2014, 02:49 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokedLightning View Post
Shawn Thornton not getting re upped by the B's. I don't know the Bolts well enough yet, would he be of use on the 4th line?
He would add grit, but not sure he fits with the speed and skill of the team. Even our 4th line has speed.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
If we do not sign callahan/ or another guy who fits that mold or an upgrade guy scorer who is top six I personally hope we sign zero others on offense and let the kids play even if that means connolly and paquette and panik etc.. get some time on line four id rather have them getting minutes than a free agent.

Obviously this means teddy is probably around again etc.. Just my two cents I dont see us no matter what being ready this year so why not give the kids the time even if they screw up is not a big deal and pays off in long run like next year the year after etc..

Just my opinion

Old
06-16-2014, 03:52 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
He would add grit, but not sure he fits with the speed and skill of the team. Even our 4th line has speed.
He's probably an upgrade over Crombeen in a couple of ways. I don't think he'd be taking a job from a prospect, so I wouldn't mind looking into the option. It also doesn't hurt to add guys who've been part of winning organizations.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:06 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
If we do not sign callahan/ or another guy who fits that mold or an upgrade guy scorer who is top six I personally hope we sign zero others on offense and let the kids play even if that means connolly and paquette and panik etc.. get some time on line four id rather have them getting minutes than a free agent.

Obviously this means teddy is probably around again etc.. Just my two cents I dont see us no matter what being ready this year so why not give the kids the time even if they screw up is not a big deal and pays off in long run like next year the year after etc..

Just my opinion
Why such heartless pessimism? With Stamkos and Bishop healthy again we should at least be able to keep pace with the top teams in the East. Many of the kids will get their opportunities, but, that hardly means that they or the team will be best served by them getting them all at once. I think we sign at least two forwards this offseason. Callahan or his similarly priced replacement, and a cheap depth bottom 6 LW or C. The 'payoff' is the playoffs and our youth getting to take that next step together.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokedLightning View Post
From what Bruins fans have said, it sounds like Thornton is done. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire this offseason.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Why such heartless pessimism? With Stamkos and Bishop healthy again we should at least be able to keep pace with the top teams in the East. Many of the kids will get their opportunities, but, that hardly means that they or the team will be best served by them getting them all at once. I think we sign at least two forwards this offseason. Callahan or his similarly priced replacement, and a cheap depth bottom 6 LW or C. The 'payoff' is the playoffs and our youth getting to take that next step together.
its not HEARTLESS PESSIMISM?

I believe in this team but I always believe you pay your dues. We need to get a few more kids (the core ) situated for a year. We need to struggle and overcome AGAIN like last year. We need to pay our dues do the playoffs and PROBABLY LOSE.

Than I think we can fight for cups. Maybe we get lucky? Maybe the magic all comes together but we are young I think we need to get 5-6 more kids into the mix this year if possible and let them learn grow and play and next year we will be better for it

If we sign 2 fowards who is off the team?

We would have to lose someone on top of kucherov going down to ahl?

So how does that work with that plan? I get some think kucherov should go down I dont? Unless we were all in the the two guys were like marleau and callahan.

Than add two d guys which I dont see us doing. So let the kids play let them grow gain confidence it will pay off just like it did this year with the injuries.

stamkos johnson palat
flipper purcell connolly
drouin killorn brown
thompson crombeen panik

Kucherov? Paquette? Namestnikov? All ready. Erne very close to ready?
We will probably wind up doing the 8 d thing again so 13 forwards.

Add two forwards who in the top 12 are you moving out? or are you saying lets run 14 f and 7 d?

Who would be the d? Does the money work? etc..

What is best for the future? I am just being practical if we cant legit wise make a true upgrade 2 dmen and 2 forwards proven that MATTER why not let the kids take this team and see who steps up?

I dont think Erne stays up cause would waste a year of elc I believe? Correct me if wrong someone please

I dont care to add 2 year guys who really wont be here when it matters myself.

Maybe bolye gets 3-4 years but I would avoid that myself.

Just how I think we can add our own tough guys physical guys etc.. when time is right if that is the difference.

Right now I want the kids to play as much as possible.

Old
06-16-2014, 05:20 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
its not HEARTLESS PESSIMISM?

[snip]

If we sign 2 fowards who is off the team? At the least, Callahan, Pyatt, and Malone possibly more depending on trades or training camp performances or lack thereof.

We would have to lose someone on top of kucherov going down to ahl? I believe Kucherov will earn and deserve a spot over Purcell, Connolly, Panik, Brown, and Crombeen as a RW on the 2014/15 roster, barring him being traded.

So how does that work with that plan? It fills the void created Marty and potentially Callahan's departure(s). It also consolidates depth of two veteran forwards into the role of one (while saving overall money for D-help and/or Cally's raise) with few long term implications.

I get some think kucherov should go down I dont? Nor do I, see above.

[snip]

Add two forwards who in the top 12 are you moving out? I'm moving whoever isn't ready of a top 6 role, yet, down and/or out.

or are you saying lets run 14 f and 7 d? I'd rather go 13/8 until a solid D foundation is established.

Who would be the d? Hedman+trade target, Carle+Gudas or FA signing, then Brewer+Sustr or Barberio+FA signing/Gudas depeninding on who was signed.

Does the money work? Depends on the players acquired, but, could certainly be made to work.

What is best for the future? To continue allowing our young players to develop at their own pace in winning environents best set up for their success. Winning matters even if you don't win it all.

I am just being practical if we cant legit wise make a true upgrade 2 dmen and 2 forwards proven that MATTER why not let the kids take this team and see who steps up? I would argue its impractical to expect to be able to shoehorn kids into spots above their skill level and expect to win and continue their development in a positive direction. Just because we can't upgrade all 4 of those positions doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to maintain the production across all facets of the game that they brought.

[snip]
my reasoning and responses in blue.

Old
06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
HoseEmDown

I agree with Robert in that we don't need any forwards top 6 or bottom 6. We have no spots available with ot without Callahan. Purcell/Connolly/Kucherov can play 2nd line RW if needed. 3rd line seems set and we play only 2 4th liners most games so bringing in another is just wasting money for a pressbox player. One top 4 RHD is all this team needs as we have plenty of internal options for the rest of the spots.

Old
06-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
my reasoning and responses in blue.
What is best for the future? To continue allowing our young players to develop at their own pace in winning environents best set up for their success. Winning matters even if you don't win it all.

I am just being practical if we cant legit wise make a true upgrade 2 dmen and 2 forwards proven that MATTER why not let the kids take this team and see who steps up? I would argue its impractical to expect to be able to shoehorn kids into spots above their skill level and expect to win and continue their development in a positive direction. Just because we can't upgrade all 4 of those positions doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to maintain the production across all facets of the game that they brought.

I get your reasoning but not sure how to replace st louis? Hoping drouin can do it time will tell He should be adequate though worst case a 45 point year or something which will be fine for us overall imho. Who else did we lose? Why add a bottom six guy?

We wont know their skill level and they wont know it without having the shot Im down on barberio and connolly and panik for varying reasoning but get this is a year we NEED to allow them to grow and either bust out with us or make it big

Not everyone will make it great news? We got three to four back up ready plans So give them a shot to prove they can do this is not too much to ask imho.

panik connolly and drouin must be up this year.

I put the team sort of we have to field the 12 guys? Unless we move teddy which I doubt happens. (without something happening for a d guy or two).

stamkos palat johnson
flipper purcell connolly
killer drouin brown
thompson crombeen panik.

All of those guys bolded are out of options and will not clear waivers? Maybe crombeen the rest we lose if we play that game? All these guys panik brown connolly drouin deserve their time to work things out and see what they have in NHL?

This is why im not looking for more guys etc.. I think all four of these guys are nhl guys. I will trade them for a D man etc.. than look over our status at that time but I do not want to throw anyone away.

Crombeen is needed against bigger teams on a good contract for what he does no reason to bury him without a better player coming along?

I am ok with kucherov in AHL to give these kids a look and see how they do this year meaning panik and brown and connolly which we have seen a little of.

I do not like throwing away guys that have worth and all of them have shown worth.

They need their time and shots so if we add two guys to this team?

Their shots are pretty much done imho. Someone has to move somehow to make that work. I think unless is for a younger RFA of similar value or for D somehow its not the right move

P.S. We won all last year without stamkos at times without marty at times with marty going through his crap?

What makes next year different besides adding probably the best calder candidate on the planet to the team?

I would love to add D but unless like said going all in for an immediate cup run? The kids have proven they can play and win. Give them more time and will prove that again

P.S. TWO TIMES P.S. Lol

we got 8 guys on D who can play right now not counting cote or kostka who might be resigned

hedman carle gudas sustr barberio brewer thats six
korobov came back and koekoek thats eight?

kostka and cote is 10.

everyone on our board pretty much wants to give barbs a shot.

If there is EVER a year we take a small step back for the year after to take a huge step forward? This is probably it and im ok with whatever management does myself. It will pay off and we should have a good idea of who we are and what is needed in future.

NOT saying this is what happens just saying will accept what we do or not do at this time. Support be happy and honestly I expect us to win!!

Last edited by Unfinished Business: 06-16-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old
06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
ganiseri

If callahan doesnt sign, what are your thoughts about the lineups? Who will play where and who will take callys place in second line?

Old
06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiseri View Post
If callahan doesnt sign, what are your thoughts about the lineups? Who will play where and who will take callys place in second line?
not sure?

first line would assume would be
stamkos palat johnson

second line believe would be
flipper purcell/killorn connolly/panik/brown

third line believe would be
drouin (kucherov) panik/brown/connolly

fourth line believe would be
thompson crombeen x x x so brown panik (paquette) Thats 14 guys.

first up would be vladdy namestnikov.

I think all these guys can play and are ready for those duties I put up.

I am good with moving purcell and playing any of these kids in his spot but can see him here on second line and having a much better year than last year.

Old
06-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Stamper

We don't need more forwards in the top 9, the only one I see we could use is Brian Boyle, but he ain't a necessity by any means. And because 'our year' is not the next year I see no reason to go with the kids, because barring serious injuries ala Stamkos and Bishop, and to some extent Palat and Filppula, we will get to POs and might even win a couple of games or a series.

That's around how much you can expect from a team that's so heavily dependent of rookies, and givin those kids time to play is the priority, not 'creating a winning culture' with signing some mercenaries for a couple of years who will just force the kids into the press box or A.

Closed Thread