HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

Old
04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

vCash: 500
There was almost no play behind the net tonight. No one setting up, trying to fake out a D man, no one trying to make a play beneath the goal line. Everything was from the out side and way deep in the points through 2 layers of Rangers D. There needs to be more dynamic behavior in the offensive zone to break down the Rangers defensive alignment 5 on 5.

I expect their attitudes to change in this regard when Mason is behind them. Let's hope.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
We found our Shea Weber.

I'm just glad he's getting opportunities to get shots on net. He has a slow wind up & release but he can get pucks through traffic & on net when given time & space.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Grare

Just got back from the game...

Observations..

Giroux needs someone to take the focus off him, badly
B Schenns hockey sense was horrible, he needs someone to pass him the puck and set him up
L Schenn played really well
Vinny is a waste on the 4th line
Grossman out with Girouxs line is like a 5 vs 4.. whenever he touches the puck he can't create a play.. Either shoots it (blocked) or throws it around the boards
Emery couldn't make any big saves, bad showing for him

Flyers had the better puck possession imo but the Rangers had 3 players in front of Lundquist the whole game and blocked a lot of good looking shots

Grare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
If there is any one thing that should have people up in arms, it's the use of Jake Voracek tonight, the catalyst of the lone goal. You know, the top line winger who a major possession catalyst, given that the Flyers had more of the possession, especially given the score effects. Less than 15 minutes total, less than 11 5v5. He had the 2nd most shifts among forwards, so that means he's coming off the ice after shifts as long as 2, 8, 14 seconds, etc.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Yeah, I thought Voracek was again the Flyers' best player. Strange he played so little.

As for the bad...

I started to make a list of players who have played poorly and give my reasoning, but it started getting too long.

Thanks for letting Carcillo score, guys!

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grare View Post
Just got back from the game...

Observations..

Giroux needs someone to take the focus off him, badly
B Schenns hockey sense was horrible, he needs someone to pass him the puck and set him up
L Schenn played really well
Vinny is a waste on the 4th line
Grossman out with Girouxs line is like a 5 vs 4.. whenever he touches the puck he can't create a play.. Either shoots it (blocked) or throws it around the boards
Emery couldn't make any big saves, bad showing for him

Flyers had the better puck possession imo but the Rangers had 3 players in front of Lundquist the whole game and blocked a lot of good looking shots
I disagree his struggles are on him at this point, he's not playing very well & we need him to snap out of it. He's a playmaker but 2 shots on goal in 3 games isn't going to cut it.

Voracek is outplaying him by a good margin & could arguably be the best player in this series for both teams thus far.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:15 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Hartnell kills so many plays on that first line, though. He makes terrible passes and is just generally not good when the puck his on his stick.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
@KatieStrangESPN: ‪#‎NYR‬ ‪#‎PHI‬ Carcillo on fans booing him while injured: "Nothing surprises me about this city and the way people act."
Carcillo also has a history of being a embellishing little *****.
who cares what he thinks

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

just baffles me how this team cannot get good starts. start tonight was on but Emery was back to his old self. 12/16 at 5 on 5. ridiculous.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Grare

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I disagree his struggles are on him at this point, he's not playing very well & we need him to snap out of it. He's a playmaker but 2 shots on goal in 3 games isn't going to cut it.

Voracek is outplaying him by a good margin & could arguably be the best player in this series for both teams thus far.
Having a pure sniper with Giroux is exactly the type of player that he needs
When he's on the ice, the Rangers are on him like flys on ****!!
He's doing a good job passing to the point but the shots aren't getting through, and Hartnel and Grossman out with G and vora isnt a good match.

Voracek has been playing really well, good to see him beat the crap out of someone

Grare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Hartnell kills so many plays on that first line, though. He makes terrible passes and is just generally not good when the puck his on his stick.
He hasn't been helping matters but it's hard to say we need to get Giroux help when his linemate is dominating right now against the same matchup's.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:27 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
He hasn't been helping matters but it's hard to say we need to get Giroux help when his linemate is dominating right now against the same matchup's.
I think a lot of it has to do with Voracek's speed. Giroux doesn't have that.

While I think Giroux's been decent so far this series, I do agree he needs to be better to give the Flyers a chance.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:37 AM
RussianRocket10

Emery aside, the offense couldn't get the job done tonight. 0 for 5 on the powerplay and had 28 of their shots blocked. Incredibly frustrating.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:39 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

While I think Giroux's been decent so far this series, I do agree he needs to be better to give the Flyers a chance.
Voracek can be really dangerous when he's on, that speed & power is very lethal.

I'm not saying he's playing the worst on the team right now or anything like that but for his standards he's not playing very well & if it doesn't change soon we're not going to have much of a chance. It's just the reality of the situation this team goes as he goes.

There's also other guys who need to step it up as well though so it's hard to really single out guys I have to admit. Hartnell, Vinny, B. Schenn, Read, Timonen, etc.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-23-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old
04-23-2014, 12:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

IF the Flyers go on to lose this series Berube should get as much heat as Lavy did when it comes to beating the Rangers and Devils. Different coach and it still appears they don't have the overall personel to beat the Rangers.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:42 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

A lot of it also has to do with the fact that Giroux is NYR's primary gameplan. That gives Voracek extra time and space, and he's used it effectively.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
A lot of it also has to do with the fact that Giroux is NYR's primary gameplan. That gives Voracek extra time and space, and he's used it effectively.
If only our 2nd line could do anything at all to capitalize on that, and maybe even take some attention from Giroux so he can work too.

04-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
IF the Flyers go on to lose this series Berube should get as much heat as Lavy did when it comes to beating the Rangers and Devils. Different coach and it still appears they don't have the overall personel to beat the Rangers.
Easily. Voracek's ice time tonight and his bizarre, inexplicable devotion to Grossmann are puzzling to say the least. The only acceptable excuse for these things would be that he's guzzling a medically questionable amount of grain alcohol behind the bench. However, he doesn't appear to be wearing his pants as a hat or screaming at the water cooler because he thinks it's Roenick, so that doesn't seem to be the case; therefore, there is no excuse.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:58 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
There's also other guys who need to step it up as well though so it's hard to really single out guys I have to admit. Hartnell, Vinny, B. Schenn, Read, Timonen, etc.
Yep. What's up with Read? I feel like he's been disappointing for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Makes sense. The Rangers are certainly doing a good job of being physical with Giroux.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Glad someone said it. And the Rangers have a different coach with a completely different philosophy no less. Didn't let a playoff appearance (2nd round in this case) cloud their judgement.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:13 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Brayden Schenn was not good. he was awful like he's been for the last 2 months.
Hate to say it but Schenner has zero hockey sense:
Completely overwhelmed when getting quality scoring chances in front of the net, fails to backcheck or even move his legs which leads to the last goal against ... god awful again

Just another case of having all the tools but no toolbox!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:15 AM
peacepipe

I really hope they win next game so the post game thread and the people saying the series is over in 5 or no way they win will sing a completely different tune and be right back on the wagon

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Easily. Voracek's ice time tonight and his bizarre, inexplicable devotion to Grossmann are puzzling to say the least. The only acceptable excuse for these things would be that he's guzzling a medically questionable amount of grain alcohol behind the bench. However, he doesn't appear to be wearing his pants as a hat or screaming at the water cooler because he thinks it's Roenick, so that doesn't seem to be the case; therefore, there is no excuse.
Jake has been the Flyers best forward at even strength. I don't get it either.
I am not shocked about Grossmann being rolled out there constantly. The organization has always loved guys like that. big, slow lumbering defenseman who will block a shot and hit a guy every now and then. all the while ignoring the other things he should be doing on the ice.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:17 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Hate to say it but Schenner has zero hockey sense:
Completely overwhelmed when getting quality scoring chances in front of the net, fails to backcheck or even move his legs which leads to the last goal against ... god awful again

Just another case of having all the tools but no toolbox!
yep. just like his brother. a ton of talent but the hockey IQ is rather low.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Jake has been the Flyers best forward at even strength. I don't get it either.
I am not shocked about Grossmann being rolled out there constantly. The organization has always loved guys like that. big, slow lumbering defenseman who will block a shot and hit a guy every now and then. all the while ignoring the other things he should be doing on the ice.
The low point that sticks out to me is when he had the puck passed to him. He stands there. A Ranger slides over into the shooting lane. At this point, Grossmann has three clear, viable options. He can pass to his partner. He can pass to the left wing. He can dump it somewhere and hope they fight it out or there's a lucky bounce out of the corner.

He elected to fire a weak shot into the shotblocker who immediately took the puck into our own zone. That right there really summed Grossmann's presence up on one play. He, with plenty of time, makes the dumbest choice possible shy of just skating back and firing it at his own net.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote