HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2014, 11:21 PM
  #151
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Just so you guys know, Oshawa is down 0 -3 in there OHL series. Your 2nd line center might be ready for Game 5 of the Flyers/Rangers series.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:22 PM
  #152
ILoveStephanieBrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
@KatieStrangESPN: ‪#‎NYR‬ ‪#‎PHI‬ Carcillo on fans booing him while injured: "Nothing surprises me about this city and the way people act."
If him laying on the ice like one of those embellishing soccer players is your definition of "injured", okay, sure. Someone should remind him he plays for a fanbase who chanted ''buy a porsche'' to Hextall and Potvin

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:22 PM
  #153
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Voracek 13 minutes toi. Completely inexcusable. Should have been 23
I'm seriously speechless. No wonder he snapped at one point.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:23 PM
  #154
SaskFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
13:51 for Jake

Best player in the series is 9th in ice time among forwards. That says it all
That is bizarre. How is that even possible?

SaskFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
  #155
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,796
vCash: 500
We have the dumbest coach in hockey, let's just all accept that right now so nobody ever says something stupid about him being good again.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
  #156
ericWONT
Ron Hakstol
 
ericWONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delaware/Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Match that with the fact that our depth isn't producing, not gonna bode well for the Flyguys.

A lot of people were saying if the Flyers secondary scoring didn't show up, we were gonna lose. Can't say I disagree at this point.
I absolutely agree. I think the reason why we've performed so well with just Giroux as our #1 (who, don't get me wrong, is a great player, just one that doesn't carry his team to any forms of success *cough Crosby, Ovechkin*) is because of our immense depth of solid, reliable scorers. Not many of them are showing up and we're getting production from guys like Streit and MacD. That's not ideal.

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
  #157
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
+Voracek
+L. Schenn
-Everyone else

Schenn is getting way too much hate. Both him and Read have been terrible for a while yet Read is only just getting noticed now, while Schenn is getting flak for very little, besides playing just as bad as other players on the team. Hartnell, Vinny, Kimmo, and Grossmann were all way worse then Schenn tonight. At least Brayden tried. Hartnell looks like he's ascended into a euphoric state.

Also anyone complaining about Rinaldo needs to be quiet. He hasn't done anything wrong this series where as certain players play like ECHLers and are given a free pass. Mason in net for game 4 please.

Berube and Giroux need to stop ******* around

/rant

If this team loses next game they should be sent to the Planet of the Apes.
I agree with pretty much all of this, except Rinaldo. I think the issue is that he's getting ice time, it's not that he's playing bad. Rinaldo can't be getting those kind of minutes when Giroux and Voracek barely get 16. We need to put our best players in a position to succeed, not try to be fair.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
  #158
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
It really depresses me to see how much money is locked into Lecavalier, Streit and Macdonald.

That could have been used so much more wisely.

Ugh.
Streit has been pretty good this season. Probably our best mainstay D honestly. At the very least he's the only truly offensively capable one. Contract length is bleh but he's been pretty good all things considered.

Mac is on a contract that isn't a bargain in any regard (meaning his new extension), but he's exactly as described. In a sheltered role on the second pairing her probably be excellent. At the vet least he's as good or better of an option then most of our D sadly.

I ****ing hate the Lecavalier contract though. Did the moment it was signed. He's a top six player...that can't play in the top six. It doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Ehh, there's just a huge ********** against the kid here. Any game he doesn't produce
just plays into the confirmation bias. He's still what, 22? Turning into the next JVR where people just concentrate on the negatives and don't give him credit for what he's doing right.

He had a good game, he was a part of a lot of chances and didn't make any big defensive gaffes. He's one of our best forwards at zone entry, he's great at controlling the puck on the boards, he can actually dish it, and he's been winning a lot of puck battles. One of our faster guys too.

Guy just had his first 20-goal season and has been asked to carry his own line for most of it. He's still got enormous potential in my book and you can see it in the little things he does with the puck.
He's not nearly the same player as JVR. I'll admit I was impatient with JVR personally but even I said that he could max out as a 30 G, 60 P winger one day and I know others did. Problem was he was enveloping like a snail after we were already patient with him and got him instead of Patrick Kane. It was a ton of sour grapes with him and also we just needed to compete now and who the **** knew when JVR would finish developing. We actually saw 30-30 talent in him. Nose for the net, skated well, big body, underrated if under-utilized shot.

Schenn is just wholly disappointing. It was said at the beginning of the season and it's still true today. He's great at finishing opportunities in the slot area...but that's it. In literally every other facet if the game he ranges from average/bland to sub-par. That's pretty damn bad. Even Hartnell excels in something other then finishing slot opportunities.

If were being honest, what has he done to earn large faith really? He looks disappointing, his numbers aren't overly impressive, we can't figure out if he's a winger or center. 22 isn't as young as you're making it out to be either. Players definitely do sometimes take until around then to hit their stride but most impact players and high draft picks that fully pan out (and both Schenns were high picks) don't take this long to show it. Even Couturier is an elite shutdown presence at 18/19.

Schenn hasn't been anything special in any way honestly and considering we already have Hartnell plus Summonds being a garbage goal scorer won't cut it for him.

He'd have a lot better time of it if he had any hockey sense and just played a smart positional game instead of chasing the puck or getting destroyed on the boards like he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Rinaldo has no place on a playoff team. He played like a neutered dog tonight because we can't afford to take his reputation penalties. 7 minutes of a warm body on the ice
In fairness that's more of an organizational stupidity thing then anything else. When have we not had at least one useless designated goon that the casual fans love because hell punch and hurt people? We also just don't have many good and actual fourth liners. We have Hall and maybe VV then...yep.

I used to be a big fan if Rinaldo but that's basically what he is. He hits like a train, chirps, and fights. That's pretty goon-like. He doesn't have scoring, face-off, or PK ability.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:25 PM
  #159
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm seriously speechless. No wonder he snapped at one point.
Best player on the ice for either team the entire series

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:25 PM
  #160
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
What makes you say that? The effort is there. The execution isn't
They came out slow and continued to do what was clearly being read and shut down. The key to beating lundqvist is to get him lost in the play in front of the net. He's not a good scrambler... Yet, we keep taking point shots from the same locations and watch them get blocked while we set up for the same play again... The rangers have done their homework; they know how this team functions and how to shut them down. The flyers have done NOTHING to cater their approach to the rangers game. NOTHING whatsoever. They constantly get pinned in their own zone because no one is on the same page on the breakout, which they continuously attempt to run spread while the rangers are trapping. Everything about this game shows a lack of ability to play outside of a set system, which has clearly been figured out.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:26 PM
  #161
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Voracek 13 minutes toi. Completely inexcusable. Should have been 23
How is that possible?

Looking at the ice time. Read is playing way too much. I think we need to change things up and get

couts with G and jake.

Schenn read and simmer.

Hartnell raff and akeson.

Vinny hall rinaldo.


Couts has no one to check in this series. Nash shoots from the circle and St. Louis is containable and when he's not it's not the type of player he checks well anyway. Get couts with G and get some sustained offense.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:27 PM
  #162
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
I absolutely agree. I think the reason why we've performed so well with just Giroux as our #1 (who, don't get me wrong, is a great player, just one that doesn't carry his team to any forms of success *cough Crosby, Ovechkin*) is because of our immense depth of solid, reliable scorers. Not many of them are showing up and we're getting production from guys like Streit and MacD. That's not ideal.
I don't know, I think the fact that we're getting goals from defensemen should tell Berube that that is where the Rangers are weak. They're stifling our forwards, but leaving our defense open to make plays. We need to take more point shots and play for rebounds, Henrik is giving up some fat ones.

This Rangers team is just incredibly good at shutting down our forward-reliant offense. There's no space for the forwards, we need the D more involved.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:27 PM
  #163
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Just so you guys know, Oshawa is down 0 -3 in there OHL series. Your 2nd line center might be ready for Game 5 of the Flyers/Rangers series.
I thought he wasn't on the black aces list

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:28 PM
  #164
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
I absolutely agree. I think the reason why we've performed so well with just Giroux as our #1 (who, don't get me wrong, is a great player, just one that doesn't carry his team to any forms of success *cough Crosby, Ovechkin*) is because of our immense depth of solid, reliable scorers. Not many of them are showing up and we're getting production from guys like Streit and MacD. That's not ideal.
It doesn't help when the ice-time and lineup decisions are complete **** at times.

Were not playing an offensive juggernaught either. Were playing the Rangers. Scoring one to three goals should be enough to win any given game if the team plays like they have half the time and there aren't soft goals being given up.

The officiating has also been **** too honestly.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
  #165
ericWONT
Ron Hakstol
 
ericWONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delaware/Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I don't know, I think the fact that we're getting goals from defensemen should tell Berube that that is where the Rangers are weak. They're stifling our forwards, but leaving our defense open to make plays. We need to take more point shots and play for rebounds, Henrik is giving up some fat ones.

This Rangers team is just incredibly good at shutting down our forward-reliant offense. There's no space for the forwards, we need the D more involved.
Although I do agree, forwards' jobs are to avoid the defense to set up/make plays to get some goals. If they can't do that, there's something wrong.

I've always thought that a big issue is this dump and chase strategy. Make it difficult to actually set up plays which allow for screens and those slapshots from the point to be sent in.

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
  #166
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 633
Seriously, this is refereeing in the NHL. Look at Gomer's face.


healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
  #167
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
Well, to be honest, at the given moment, Emery was the better player coming off of a great showing up in MSG. Mason had been sitting around with a thumb up his *** for about a week. Who knows if he would've done better. Berube was not in the wrong for putting in Emery. He worked for his W, he comes back the next game. Now Mason is 100% and Emery isn't hot, so it's a no brainer.
If Lundqvist gets hurt and his backup pitches 4 straight shutouts, Hank still starts in net as soon as he's healthy. The same should apply to any #1 goalie. Ray Emery didn't pitch a single shutout either btw. He played a very mediocre game 2 where his lateral movement was continually exploited and he managed to sneak away w/ a win.

This "hot hand" crap is moronic. You don't roll w/ your #5 pitcher over your ace in game 7 of the World Series because he managed to eek out a 6-5 win last time out. You don't roll w/ your backup QB in the Super Bowl because he won the NFC championship 6-3 on 10 of 40 passing w/ 3 INTs. You don't bench LeBron for game 7 of the finals because the backup SF had 20 pts and banked in the game winner in game 6.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:31 PM
  #168
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I thought he wasn't on the black aces list
I don't think that matters. As far as I know, he is listed on the reserve list.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:31 PM
  #169
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,090
vCash: 500
Simmonds though...I do expect him to produce more. in 14 PO games with the Flyers, he has all of 2 goals and 5 assists.

Once he's in the POs he looks good going through the neutral zone, but once he's in the offensive zone he's generally a non-factor. It's kinda frustrating. But he's also got garbage for linemates, so it's hard to be mad. In fact, I can't be.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:32 PM
  #170
n62
Registered User
 
n62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Who cares who was in net. They scored 1 goal.

n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:32 PM
  #171
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
How is that possible?

Looking at the ice time. Read is playing way too much. I think we need to change things up and get

couts with G and jake.

Schenn read and simmer.

Hartnell raff and akeson.

Vinny hall rinaldo.


Couts has no one to check in this series. Nash shoots from the circle and St. Louis is containable and when he's not it's not the type of player he checks well anyway. Get couts with G and get some sustained offense.
What a way to utilize your best defensive center by putting him on the wing of a scoring line.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:32 PM
  #172
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
Who cares who was in net. They scored 1 goal.
And with the goals Emery allowed, that should have been enough for OT. At least give them a damned chance to win.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
  #173
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I'm glad not doing anything wrong is the bar here. Rinaldo is a useless hockey player straight up
It's also really hard to do anything egregiously bad when even your max of six minutes a ****ing game is probably too much ice-time.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
  #174
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
Who cares who was in net. They scored 1 goal.
My point exactly.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:34 PM
  #175
ericWONT
Ron Hakstol
 
ericWONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delaware/Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
If Lundqvist gets hurt and his backup pitches 4 straight shutouts, Hank still starts in net as soon as he's healthy. The same should apply to any #1 goalie. Ray Emery didn't pitch a single shutout either btw. He played a very mediocre game 2 where his lateral movement was continually exploited and he managed to sneak away w/ a win.

This "hot hand" crap is moronic. You don't roll w/ your #5 pitcher over your ace in game 7 of the World Series because he managed to eek out a 6-5 win last time out. You don't roll w/ your backup QB in the Super Bowl because he won the NFC championship 6-3 on 10 of 40 passing w/ 3 INTs. You don't bench LeBron for game 7 of the finals because the backup SF had 20 pts and banked in the game winner in game 6.
That's also because Lundqvist is one of the greatest goalies in the game, and Mason is only slightly better than Emery. Mason is the #1, but I don't think by very much. Not really the best comparison.

I would totally agree with you if it was 100% certain that Mase was healthy, but I really think from his interviews and just the timeframe that his neck was still bugging him a little but he was willing to brave it because its the playoffs.

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.