HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

Old
04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I love his confidence but he needs to start putting up points.
And shooting when he has a clear, point blank opportunity.

04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Slow down...
I mean he isn't technically wrong... but yeah slow down a bit haha.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
That's also because Lundqvist is one of the greatest goalies in the game, and Mason is only slightly better than Emery. Mason is the #1, but I don't think by very much. Not really the best comparison.

I would totally agree with you if it was 100% certain that Mase was healthy, but I really think from his interviews and just the timeframe that his neck was still bugging him a little but he was willing to brave it because its the playoffs.
It's useless arguing with you if you think a healthy mason is "only a little" better than Emery. The guy has no hip and literally cannot move post to post. Mason may not quite be a top 10 goalie yet, but he is a #1 and has been paid as such.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I mean he isn't technically wrong... but yeah slow down a bit haha.

lol well I guess it's just that the defense on this team worries me

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:59 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
And the 3rd goal, and the 4th. An average goaltending performance, not even a great one, gets that game to OT.
Yep. We controlled that game. ****** ass goaltending, on a stupid ass coaching decision cost us that game.

I will give the Rangers credit though, they block more shots than the Berlin Wall.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I love his confidence but he needs to start putting up points.
I would settle for just getting shots on net at this point. L. Schenn is out shooting him 8-2 so far this series.

Luke's having a good series but that shouldn't happen.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
2Claude2Giroux

When your team is possessing the puck like that against the Rangers, it's inexcusable that Voracek played so little.

They need to revamp that 2nd PP unit so badly.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

That's another thing, who would have thought LSchenn would be (arguably) the best defenseman so far this series and easily the better of the two brothers.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
You guys are all such a sad sack of soggy waffles.

You all ruin everything.

And are the main reason why none of us can have nice things. .
The man you are speaking of is named Ed... Ed Snider.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Wrubez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericWONT View Post
I absolutely agree. I think the reason why we've performed so well with just Giroux as our #1 (who, don't get me wrong, is a great player, just one that doesn't carry his team to any forms of success *cough Crosby, Ovechkin*) is because of our immense depth of solid, reliable scorers. Not many of them are showing up and we're getting production from guys like Streit and MacD. That's not ideal.
To be fair, hockey still remains a team game. Ovy is a perennial 40+ goal scorer but what exactly has he carried his team to? The craps are the shining example of a choke hazard in the PO.

Teams gameplan for Ovy just like they do for G. Same goes for Cindy. Flyers seem to always have the Pens number in big games bc we do do a good job containing their stars (that and flower seems to **** the bed against us). Sure, Cindy's got a cup but so does Malkin. Malkin was MVP of the 09 cup too if I recall.

I'm not dismissing either players' (Ovy, Cindy) talent, as much as I despise their very existence. They are both 1a and 1b in the league depending on who you ask. But I also think that if you put proper, CONSISTENTLY skilled linemates with Giroux, we would be easily putting him in the same "carry the team" convo.

We have already witnessed G take over games single handedly multiple times in both the reg and postseason. We all wish he could do it every night but it all comes back to the opposing gameplan and Hockey being a team oriented sport.

I bet if they put a Rick Nash or a Stamkos or hell even a JVR (at this point) with G, he would easily be a 30-35/85-90 reg season-er.

Not trying to discredit your point whatsoever, just think that G deserves a little more credit than he gets at times.

Edit: K maybe not "easily" 30-35/85-90 reg season-er, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility either. Get someone on that line that pulls attention from G and the Ice will open up for him...as long as he shoots the ******** puck

Last edited by Wrubez: 04-22-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Wrubez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
The man you are speaking of is named Ed... Ed Snider.

Leave him, his white hair, and his young ass wife alone.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Hollywood Couturier

So is Read getting a phone call?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrubez View Post
To be fair, hockey still remains a team game. Ovy is a perennial 40+ goal scorer but what exactly has he carried his team to? The craps are the shining example of a choke hazard in the PO.

Teams gameplan for Ovy just like they do for G. Same goes for Cindy. Flyers seem to always have the Pens number in big games bc we do do a good job containing their stars (that and flower seems to **** the bed against us). Sure, Cindy's got a cup but so does Malkin. Malkin was MVP of the 09 cup too if I recall.
The Ovechkin now isn't the same Ovechkin of a couple of years ago. He doesn't nearly possess the puck anymore nor does drive the play. The majority of his goals come off the work of others & the PP. He still has a great shot so his goal numbers are the same but if you notice his assist numbers have decreased drastically in large part because of this in recent years.

You still have to gameplan for him but it's not nearly as hard as it used to be. It's off topic but I felt like throwing that out there.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:19 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Don't think so... wasn't it sorta incidental contact?

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:21 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Well they improved from the last playoff game I went to. Last one I went to they lost 10-3 and Jordan staal had a hattrick. I thought they looked decent tonight. Emery gave up some softies. The biggest thing is our d not able to get point shots thru. They need to find a way to get around them blocking their shots

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:23 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Well they improved from the last playoff game I went to. Last one I went to they lost 10-3 and Jordan staal had a hattrick. I thought they looked decent tonight. Emery gave up some softies. The biggest thing is our d not able to get point shots thru. They need to find a way to get around them blocking their shots
Well, I am going to game 4, so let's hope I am better luck.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Streit had a good game. Goal, good stickwork defensively.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:25 PM
McNasty

Am I the only one completely unimpressed with Wayne Simmonds. I swear for a guy labeled so often as a PWF he seems like he never gets in there on the forecheck and just plants a guy, he'll try to finesse it through and jump around him.

Giroux has to be better, Schenn (and others) have been garbage at times but Giroux has to be the teams best player.

I don't have a problem with the ice time because for the majority of the 2nd and 3rd the Flyers controlled possession in the Rangers end. If they can sure up the first 20 and get some better goaltending there really isn't too much to change at even strength. I would like to see them get the puck behind the Rangers D more often.

Ultimately though this all starts from the back end, the Rangers breakouts for the most part are crisp whereas the Flyers still have the same strategy of force it to the boards where a guy is facing his own end and is forced to either play it back or make a dangerous pass into his own end.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:25 PM
BernieParent

So it seems, from reading this thread, like pretty much everything went wrong tonight.

Personally, I think that the comments from Mason indicated that he wasn't ready to endure 60 minutes of playoff hockey. Yes, Emery's pixie dust ran out tonight -- and I'll remind people that he did play a solid game and was a big part of the win in game 2 -- and the Flyers have pretty much no chance in this series if Emery plays the majority of it. However, I'm still of the mind that the Flyers weren't getting past the Rangers anyway and it would have been unwise to have run an injured Mason out there.

One the level of goaltending, it was a positive that Mason was able to get some work in to test his health and compete level.

There are just too many flaws in the team's make-up, talent level, and game plan for this team to survive long in the playoffs. They need more mobility, a more cohesive plan on the PP, and in their defensive zone. They need to maximize the strengths of their players, which they are very far from doing.

I called the Rangers in 5 and I'm pretty sure I won't be far off. That's just being realistic, from my perspective.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:26 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Depends, does Carcillo get an Oscar?

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Luke Schenn was tied for a game high of 5 shots with Rick Nash tonight.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
It's really too bad that the Flyers couldn't have involved B. Schenn in a trade for Vanek or Gaborik.
Dude, this is absurd. Really, really absurd.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

I called the Rangers in 5 and I'm pretty sure I won't be far off. That's just being realistic, from my perspective.
yeah i agree..

Rags in 5 is what im saying aswell..

if we had won tonite i mighta felt different. but we just threw away a game we had to win...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:39 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Well, I am going to game 4, so let's hope I am better luck.
Hope so! I normally get to 3 or 4 playoff games a year but took the lady to something special tonight and splurged on some really good seats, so that's probably all she wrote for me this playoff year. Like I said I don't think they played poorly. I thought they controlled play thru most of the game, you could just feel the Carcillo goal coming, and you can't keep spotting teams 2 goals and expect to win. I really though the Hartnell post went in, that could of changed the game had he scored there.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Luke Schenn was tied for a game high of 5 shots with Rick Nash tonight.
We found our Shea Weber.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote