HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Maclean's comment re: French refs

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2014, 10:44 PM
headliner

vCash: 500
For me, MacLean's credibility started to wane when he began being Cherry's lackey. "Oh, you're so great, Don! You were right!" etc.

Tonight's comment is out of line. It's one thing for a subjective fan to say something like that...oh...wait.....he IS a subjective fan...of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

That whole broadcast is made up of Leaf sell-outs.

Hughson, Simpson, MacLean, Cherry, Stock...are all skewed to the Leafs' fan's perspective....which means not showing any Habs' love.

That series was big-time Tampa-biased.

And the next one will be anti-Hab as well. Cherry will be all Bruins...which will skew the rest. Detroit would be a favourite because of the Cinderella story, and Babcock being gold-medal coach.

Us against the world, boys!

Old
04-22-2014, 10:48 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
For the country? lol, give it a rest.
I teach 11-12 year olds in Alberta many of which play and follow hockey. We spend a great deal of time on the Charter and by extension language rights. Quebec is a part of Canada. I do my part to try and get rid of western ignorance at an early age. Canadian ref working a game involving a Canadian team. That's it, that's all it should be. Kid comes in tomorrow and chirps about a French ref and my job gets harder.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 364
Who cares what Ron "Maxwell Smart" Maclean has to say? The guy is just a tool serving at the pleasure of Don Cherry.

There have been many instances where refs who originate from the area where a playoff game is played, take on a more exacting approach, perhaps out of fear of not appearing impartial enough -- just as there have been refs who have come across as being soft on their childhood team or team from their hometown city. It's just human nature, despite all the rigorous training and the aura of impartiality that refs tries to muster. In the end, it all balances out -- especially that different crews rotate in and out of games.

As for the whole CBC Taranna-ball washing crew, meh, what else is new? To them, Canada's team (as if the label matters) will always be the Laffs. It's to be expected. People who spend so much time within a NY-wannabe-centre-of-the-earth vortex, eventually end up being sucked in it.

These CBC prima donnas are totally unsalvageable -- any level of recrimination is not going to matter one bit.

Last edited by Runner77: 04-23-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old
04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yeah, the outrage is a bit much.

Ron's a great host and an asset to HNIC. This was clearly part of the chosen-upon narrative to play up the drama of the series.

We swept the ****ing Lightning, we're giving them nothing to dissect or talk about. Think about it pragmatically - they need talking points but we're too good and the Bolts too bad for any worthwhile arguments.
french comment or no french comment I'm not even french, but I strongly disagree, he is a terrible terrible host and not an asset to hnic at all, he is an idiot. I often question if he even knows hockey, some of the things he says are baffling. I also hate how he talks as if he played in the nhl when he has never played hockey. Not saying you have to play to be on the show but don't act like you know things you don't. He is also quite arrogant and talks down to people all the time.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:02 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

McLean is an idiot. It doesn't matter the context of what he was trying to bring it up in, there is no justifiable context in which this needed to be brought up.

How long until Strombo takes over?

Old
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
You guys are missing the context here. He wasn't saying, or even intending to imply, that French refs would be biased towards Montreal at all in Game 4. Step back for a second, and try not to be looking to get offended by something at every opportunity.

How often do we have to put up with rival fans claiming that our Habs get biased officiating when playing in Montreal. Hint, it's often. Even when posters take the time to show them stats proving otherwise, it gets repeated, and repeated.

Now amplify that by 100 for the playoffs. Add in a controversial (even though as usual, it shoudn't be) call in game 3. Not only are you putting a French ref in a situation that reeks of failure, you're giving the moronic another soapbox to stand on after the Habs won. The optics for the NHL wouldn't have been good.

Now imagine that a French ref had to make, or mistakenly makes a controversial call in game 4. He's going to be crucified, regardless of if the call was correct.

Ron wasn't being bigoted towards french refs, he just understands the implications the league could face, and the dialogue that fans and some media would create should something have happened. Business wise, it would be a smart move by the NHL to do whatever than can to needlessly avoid controversy. Even if we all know said controversy shouldn't exist.
Nah sorry, still doesn't explain it. Like somebody said on Twitter....did we ever hear him say that there's shouldn't be any Canadian referees for a game involving Canada in the Olympics?

The call Charron made was the correct one. By not having a french ref, you are admitting that the idiots were right. Right, by saying it was a bad call. Right by saying that french refs favour the Habs. I can tell you that the same situation and NOBODY talks about NOT having an Ontarien ref in a game involving Toronto or Ottawa. Somehow, Americans, Canadians, Ontarians, or whoever cannot be seen as choosing a favorite but french refs can.....That's so much BS, whether MacLean said it as a whole or just for that game based on the supposed event that took place before is still pretty stupid. I'm not worried though....can't wait to see how many francos will still be left for round 2.....

Yet, no matter how many are still there, we will be at the wrong end of it. If both Charron and St.Laurent are out....it's a proof that they favoured us and were bad and were booted out. If they are still in, well it's for the possibility to favor us against Boston.

Sorry, but if you do that, no Ontarians in Ottawa or Toronto. No Americans or Canadian if it involves a US Team vs a Canadian team etc. Can,t wait to see that happen.....

I'm just stunned as to the level of stupidity around that subject. We keep critizicing the refs. Every freakin team say the refs are awful and EVERY game there are decisions that are bad enough that chances the outcome of a game. Refs ARE bad. Or are badly coached. Or are badly managed...whatever. That's an OVERALL concept accepted by everybody until.....it happens at the Bell Centre by a french ref. At worst....the guy then CANNOT be just bad. He HAS to have the Habs as his favorite team.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-22-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
It's two fold for me. First is he insinuating québécois refs in the NHL are not as trustworthy. Second, in his eyes does he believe that this league has American refs, Canadian refs and French refs? Like I said it is a giant step backwards for the country as a whole to put that distinction out there.
Honestly, I can't help but laugh when the distinction comes up organically....

Old
04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Stephen

Quote:
If his ball-lapping buddies had any guts, they would have commented on it a little bit more.... Does doofus Ron think it's ok to have English only ref's coaching Toronto games? Isn't that a conflict?
Hmmm, Kerry Fraser was from Sarnia, but it may as well have been SoCal...

Old
04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
If his ball-lapping buddies had any guts, they would have commented on it a little bit more.... Does doofus Ron think it's ok to have English only ref's coaching Toronto games? Isn't that a conflict?
We'd need a lot of French refs to cover 29 English markets...

Old
04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Valois

It pains me because I really do like the idea of the CBC, but there's a reason that despite french being my second language I will basically always choose RDS or TVA or really any other channel for Habs or Sens over CBC. Glad I missed this comment, it's such a stupid line of thinking and I thought Maclean would be above it. Even if he's suggesting the better move would be to put in a non-french ref to avoid controversy, what message does that send? People shouldn't get to do their job because a bunch of sore fans hold a cultural double standard?

Old
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yeah, the outrage is a bit much.

Ron's a great host and an asset to HNIC. This was clearly part of the chosen-upon narrative to play up the drama of the series.

We swept the ****ing Lightning, we're giving them nothing to dissect or talk about. Think about it pragmatically - they need talking points but we're too good and the Bolts too bad for any worthwhile arguments.
I agree, a little too much outrage here. But its a valid criticism.

And for all the times I've defended the CBC and saying that we're treated evenly like other teams, I really haven't seen that this year. PJ Stock is basically a troll, you've got Cherry wearing Lightning colours tonight talking about anything other than Montreal... and then this fiasco. It really is a bit much...

Strombo can't come soon enough. Sure will be nice to have at least one Hab fan out there.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2014/0...-with-comments

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...service=mobile

Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree, a little too much outrage here. But its a valid criticism.

And for all the times I've defended the CBC and saying that we're treated evenly like other teams, I really haven't seen that this year. PJ Stock is basically a troll, you've got Cherry wearing Lightning colours tonight talking about anything other than Montreal... and then this fiasco. It really is a bit much...

Strombo can't come soon enough. Sure will be nice to have at least one Hab fan out there.
Well, that's just business as usual for a lot of people, really. Not complaining, just stating the obvious.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:51 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Friedman doing damage control on twitter right now.

Ron to speak on it next segment.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Ron to speak on it next segment.
Maclean is apologizing right now...

Now THAT is rattled.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Come on dude, I appreciate tradition but Ron's best days are over. He's a mumbling old geek.
The irony of this is his partner in crime Mr. Donald S. Cherry spent a complete "Coaches Corner"
In Sotchi explaining how Sweden was questioning a Canadian ref being chosen for the gold medal game. He went on to say how ridiculous the Swede's were and how the canadian ref would not only bend over backwards to be neutral, but would surely call a penalty on Canada first. He did it was a bad call on Kunitz and Cherry played it up in the first intermission like only Donald S. can.

How it works both ways is beyond me.

Classic

Old
04-22-2014, 11:56 PM
CrazyShea

Ron's on now apologizing about his comments

Old
04-22-2014, 11:57 PM
1UP

Well, that was damage control.

Man did he feel epically bad.

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Okay, sincere and complete apology... Good for him.

That ends that.

Nothing wrong with eating crow. When you do, the flames extinguish quickly. Good for Maclean coming clean here.

Old
Fenwick McCorsi
Smarten up

He just cleared it up between the 3rd period and OT. Too tired to quote anything, but he basically said he meant no offense and that it applies to all refs from any area in that kind of a situation due to how emotionally charged the visiting team was in an elimination game.

Either way... Go Habs Go!

Last edited by Fenwick McCorsi: 04-22-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: You guys are way too fast, whoops lol
Old
04-23-2014, 12:00 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Maclean looks like he can't wait for this segment to be over. He's staying really quiet.

Wow he looks upset.

Old
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Okay, sincere and complete apology... Good for him.

That ends that.

Nothing wrong with eating crow. When you do, the flames extinguish quickly. Good for Maclean coming clean here.
Agreed. He qualified his statement an also admitted he messed up. Don't care that Friedman said he understood what he was saying, it's the people listening.

Old
Varlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
You guys are missing the context here. He wasn't saying, or even intending to imply, that French refs would be biased towards Montreal at all in Game 4. Step back for a second, and try not to be looking to get offended by something at every opportunity.

How often do we have to put up with rival fans claiming that our Habs get biased officiating when playing in Montreal. Hint, it's often. Even when posters take the time to show them stats proving otherwise, it gets repeated, and repeated.

Now amplify that by 100 for the playoffs. Add in a controversial (even though as usual, it shoudn't be) call in game 3. Not only are you putting a French ref in a situation that reeks of failure, you're giving the moronic another soapbox to stand on after the Habs won. The optics for the NHL wouldn't have been good.

Now imagine that a French ref had to make, or mistakenly makes a controversial call in game 4. He's going to be crucified, regardless of if the call was correct.

Ron wasn't being bigoted towards french refs, he just understands the implications the league could face, and the dialogue that fans and some media would create should something have happened. Business wise, it would be a smart move by the NHL to do whatever than can to needlessly avoid controversy. Even if we all know said controversy shouldn't exist.
But it only applies to french referees? Plenty of refs from the Toronto area reffing toronto games, never heard a peep out of him about it before.

Old
Jacques Trap*

Quote:

@FriedgeHNIC: I dont know exactly what is being reported right now, but all Ron was discussing what the perception of local referees officiating games...

@FriedgeHNIC: I was the one who used the word "French." If I would have said "anglophone," Ron would have said that ref should not be involved either

@FriedgeHNIC: Again, I am hearing all of this second hand, but it sounds like Ron is being unfairly attacked. Nothing nefarious was intended at all.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Haaabs

I don't see the big deal, he gave his opinion on how having a ref working a game in which the team from that ref's hometown is playing. I guess some people interpreted it as an attack on Quebecers but I didn't take it that way.

Either way, he apologized and explained what he was saying so its a closed issue really. The media likes blowing things out of proportion, lets leave that to them

Closed Thread