HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Maclean's comment re: French refs

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2014, 12:35 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
Yup, and apologized for it and explained what he meant. He said the wrong word and clearly feels bad about it.
Good on him to apologize.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Don't see why we should make a big deal out of this, Ron Maclean's been the voice of reason on HNIC for a long time. If you feel like he made a mistake whether in wording or whatever, he deserves a pass.
Anyone in juxtaposition to Cherry, will sound more reasonable. Goes without saying.

I would surmise that his reputation as the reasonable guy was probably the result of his "role" -- a lot of the stuff he says in retort or as a lead-in to Cherry segments, looks scripted. Not as much the case when he's ad-libbing with his other Taranna-cohorts.

For anyone wondering about the on-air testiness between Cherry and Maclean -- someone who was on a flight with them and sat right next to them, told me he could not believe how friendly they are with each other, FWIW. Apparently clashing personas create interest and keep bringing in the dough. Whatever it takes.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:39 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I realize it's Cherry and not Ron but the two are one and the same these days.

http://m.thestar.com/#!/news/canadia...c57d12bfb289ec

"Mind you, if the perception of bias is everything, the motivation for blowing a whistle should also be considered. Don Cherry, the CBC icon, sounded nearly as dismayed as Forsberg when he spoke about the gold-medal officiating situation, but for a different reason.

Cherry, interviewed while he watched Canada practice in advance of the big game, said it’s his experience that Canadian referees working a Team Canada game “bend over backwards” to make a show of their impartiality."

Old
04-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Teufelsdreck

I didn't hear the remarks. I don't think MacLean has bad intentions. He may have goofed.

I'll watch Habs games broadcast in any language, even Korean, but I don't care for some of the French language talk show commentators.

I like Hughson. Isn't he from Western Canada rather than Ontario? He praises the Habs when they're playing well. I don't like the broadcasters from Philadelphia, Boston, Carolina, or either of the Florida cities. I like Kelly Hrudey but nor Glenn Healey. I like Kevin Weekes on the NHL network, although he's a commentator rather than an announcer. I don't care for Pierre McGuire.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:25 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I teach 11-12 year olds in Alberta many of which play and follow hockey. We spend a great deal of time on the Charter and by extension language rights. Quebec is a part of Canada. I do my part to try and get rid of western ignorance at an early age. Canadian ref working a game involving a Canadian team. That's it, that's all it should be. Kid comes in tomorrow and chirps about a French ref and my job gets harder.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:34 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I didn't think MacLean's comments were meant to be offensive and taken the way people are taking it. He just said he doesn't think local refs should ref elimination games. Not because refs of a certain area are biased, but to mitigate any doubt of even refereeing. It's a valid issue, it just wasn't phrased properly. Ron's a professional and certainly doesn't deserve all the attacks.
What's important is what do people get out of it, not what he meant to say.

Seems those questions only come up when it's about the Habs and local referees.

Remember the Doan circa?

Old
04-23-2014, 01:38 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I agree. This is the main issue. BUT I think the point is that fans tend to attack refs from Quebec for being biased and thus, the NHL should avoid assignments like this in elimination games not because the criticisms are true, just to make it as even as possible on the surface.
So if they do that to Québec refs. Will they have to do it for American refs in USA? Ontarian refs in Ott/TO? etc..

Why just do it to Québec refs in Montréal? That's the problem, to me. It would still be discriminating to the Québécois referees.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:17 AM
MicroFracture

even if that wasn't his intention to come across that way, the fact remains that the subject is only brought up when it's about Montreal. If people here were trying to insinuate that anglo refs side with teams from anglophone markets, we'd be the laughing stock of the league, but here we're supposed to fall over backwards to give him the benefit of the doubt even if it was pretty obvious.

And yeah, like it or not, I've been reading hockey boards long enough to know that hatred for the Habs is often partially rooted in xenophobia.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:42 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yeah, the outrage is a bit much.

Ron's a great host and an asset to HNIC. This was clearly part of the chosen-upon narrative to play up the drama of the series.

We swept the ****ing Lightning, we're giving them nothing to dissect or talk about. Think about it pragmatically - they need talking points but we're too good and the Bolts too bad for any worthwhile arguments.
Would have been nice for them to focus on this. I was watching CBC post game and had to tune out and turn on TSN 990... you wouldn't have known the habs just won a playoff series on CBC.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:18 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Ok he said he was sorry and he meant a local ref.... local being province of Québec because Charron was from Gatineau.

Guess Charron shouldn't work in Ottawa either.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:42 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
He's still saying that he thinks french speaking refs are partial to the Habs... as if an english speaking montrealer ref couldn't be. Or, the opposite way, couldn't english speaking refs be partial
AGAINST montreal, according this this "logic"? He should have kept his mouth shut.
He didn't say that though, what he was saying is "even though he believes the refs have integrity, the league should have never put a french ref in game 4 after the allegations after game 3, in the interest of looking unbiased" I'm not saying he's right, but what he said was hardly an attack on French refs, he defended Charron on air the night the controversial call took place, but in the interest of looking impartial, maybe the league should have been more sensitive. I think it's hogwash, but hardly an outrage.

You're putting the St. Laurent in a position where it's nearly impossible for him to be completely impartial, in fact, putting a Quebecois ref in for game 4 was doing the habs a disservice. He went out of his way to bend over backwards for the lightning in order to look impartial. He should have never been put in that situation as no matter what he does, someone is going to be pissed, either us, or them.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:43 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Ok he said he was sorry and he meant a local ref.... local being province of Québec because Charron was from Gatineau.

Guess Charron shouldn't work in Ottawa either.

Terrible comment. You expect that stuff from Don.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I was hoping that CBC would push us as the local team. Big deception on this side, they were pretty much all homers for TB.

It was stupid to make this comment about local referees. You MUST assume that your refs are professional.

Charron was an horrible QMJHL referee that had/have no control on his emotions. He got in the NHL because of great mesurables but it's not the way they should recruit.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
even if that wasn't his intention to come across that way, the fact remains that the subject is only brought up when it's about Montreal. If people here were trying to insinuate that anglo refs side with teams from anglophone markets, we'd be the laughing stock of the league, but here we're supposed to fall over backwards to give him the benefit of the doubt even if it was pretty obvious.

And yeah, like it or not, I've been reading hockey boards long enough to know that hatred for the Habs is often partially rooted in xenophobia.
I didn't hear what Ron said. It was intermission and I don't watch those segments on CBC, TSN or RDS. But I'm getting different versions about what he said which tells me different people heard different things. But let's go with the extreme version. He did say he doubts French Canadian refs should call Montreal games. That was stupid for someone who has worked in broadcasting for so long. And it was hypocritical considering what he and his resident blowhard said when Forsberg complained about the ref selection for the gold match at the Olympics.

But That all of a sudden gets blown up into hatred for the Habs and the CBC is bias.

Really? And RDS isn't bias. On RDS it isn't NHL coverage. It is only Habs coverage 24/7. And let me ask you the hatred for the Leafs in Quebec doesn't stem from xenophobia? Really? Please stop playing the martyr especially since we in this province backed the bigoted PQ Charter with majority numbers.

There are bigots and xenophobes on both side of the language divide. Don't try telling me it's only in T.O.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:19 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Man, I'm totally neutral here and IMHO you're overreacting here.

His comments were in no way racist, but were his mere opinion. There are thought processes behind picking referees for sports that are played on a huge stage (Soccer, Olympics etc.)

Why not for hockey?

Hockey matters to us in Canada. It absolutely does.

I don't think he distrusts French referees. He just wants protective measures before an issue gets magnified.
Ok then. Should Ontario-born refs be barred from games in Toronto and Ottawa? Answer this simple question.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Sorry, apology won't work with me. He found a way to get out of it, but I didn't know that your a "local" when you are from Gatineau. This "perception" is solely based on the prejudice that runs for too many years throughout the league. Again, I've never heard McLean saying that for an Ontarian. He's now using the "Alberta" example to prove a point he never tried to prove before. Using the Olympics example is BS as there were often referees from the country that played the game that was involved and said nothing about it.

Anybody knows that if Dave Jackson would have had that 4th game, MacLean would not have said anything about it.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-23-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old
04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

How many goals was Paquette on the ice for? How many penalties did he take? What about Barbiero? And Killorn, the goalie interference call... Obviously the Quebec born players on Tampa lost on purpose.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
BLONG7

He may have not meant it, he may have clarified what he said, but bottom line is, CBC has always catered to the Leafs, and spewed crap vs the Habs...Ron's time is up....glad Rogers will be changing things up next season...

Old
04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

It's just incredible that we should refrain from using a french referee to satisfy the racism, the bigotry and the idiots that decides to think that french referees only purpose is to serve the Habs and not do their job. Just wow.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He may have not meant it, he may have clarified what he said, but bottom line is, CBC has always catered to the Leafs, and spewed crap vs the Habs...Ron's time is up....glad Rogers will be changing things up next season...
There are excuses that do serve the purpose of clarifying what you wanted to say. And there are excuses that serves the purpose to try to soften the blow of what you said. May people chose whatever side they want. I know where I am. But we will move on, just find MacLean to be another stupid individual and be really happy to only see him once a year hosting Battle of the Blades....

Old
04-23-2014, 06:55 AM
Erik Estrada

One of the last death throes of the CBC.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

l
But to end this quickly and finally there is just one thing to do.

Someone should make a formal request and officially ask that the NHL make sure from now on that any referee officiating in a game in Canada is not from the province where the game is played that night. Simple as that, but make it an official demand to be included in the Rules Book. And really try to make it stick.

Show and fully recognise by that demand that Canada has an anti french bias and dont just complain about that but just make sure that every other team doesnt get the biased treatment we'd get if Ron McLean's suggestions are followed.

That would be the positive approach to again being treated like a 2nd class citizen in a country that claims treating all of its citizens as equals. Equals unless they speak french that is...

Old
04-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
l
But to end this quickly and finally there is just one thing to do.

Someone should make a formal request and officially ask that the NHL make sure from now on that any referee officiating in a game in Canada is not from the province where the game is played that night. Simple as that, but make it an official demand to be included in the Rules Book. And really try to make it stick.

Show and fully recognise by that demand that Canada has an anti french bias and dont just complain about that but just make sure that every other team doesnt get the biased treatment we'd get if Ron McLean's suggestions are followed.

That would be the positive approach to again being treated like a 2nd class citizen in a country that claims treating all of its citizens as equals. Equals unless they speak french that is...

Better watch it. Your rickety soap box may collapse and you'll get splinters.

Canada has an anti-French bias? The percentage of anti-French in Canada is probably as much as anti-English in Quebec.

Maybe we should ask Paris and London how they feel about that.

Old
04-23-2014, 07:12 AM
AH

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18121008/

Maclean issues apology. I didnt see the segment but the quotes issued in the article are firing-worthy.

Old
04-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
He didn't say that though, what he was saying is "even though he believes the refs have integrity, the league should have never put a french ref in game 4 after the allegations after game 3, in the interest of looking unbiased" I'm not saying he's right, but what he said was hardly an attack on French refs, he defended Charron on air the night the controversial call took place, but in the interest of looking impartial, maybe the league should have been more sensitive. I think it's hogwash, but hardly an outrage.

You're putting the St. Laurent in a position where it's nearly impossible for him to be completely impartial, in fact, putting a Quebecois ref in for game 4 was doing the habs a disservice. He went out of his way to bend over backwards for the lightning in order to look impartial. He should have never been put in that situation as no matter what he does, someone is going to be pissed, either us, or them.
This is what I understood from his comments too. He has a point. I think people are interpreting it as franco vs anglo but the comment seems more directed at avoiding this type of situation. I think in the Olympics, for example, refs of games are from countries that are not in the game they are reffing. It's not that the refs are bad but no need to give those people that additional pressure and distraction of potential criticism.

If you make it so Ontario refs don't ref teams in Ontario, Quebec refs don't ref teams in Quebec, etc, you remove that distraction in the NHL. It's no secret a lot of people think 'Typical Montreal'.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 04-23-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Closed Thread