HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Summer

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
wasting time

vCash: 500
St Martin and Ohlund locked up to long term contracts.

McCabe and Kaberle are probably sitting outside JFJ's door right now.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:41 PM
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
there's still Chara, Redden, McCauley, Luongo, Nabokov, Theodore and other great players to choose from
one of these names is not like the other
one of these names just doesn't belong
can you tell me which name is not like the other
by the time i finish this song

Old
08-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
one of these names is not like the other
one of these names just doesn't belong
can you tell me which name is not like the other
by the time i finish this song
Luongo

He is a UFA in 2 years if not signed to a long term deal in the mean time ..

Since he had his Arbitration case today and the ruling in expected tomorrow the likelyhood of that happening is slim at this point ..

Old
08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
St Martin and Ohlund locked up to long term contracts.

McCabe and Kaberle are probably sitting outside JFJ's door right now.
McCabe and Kaberle have contracts St Louis and Ohlund were RFA and unsigned so there is a difference there..

Old
08-26-2005, 07:49 PM
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Luongo

He is a UFA in 2 years if not signed to a long term deal in the mean time ..

Since he had his Arbitration case today and the ruling in expected tomorrow the likelyhood of that happening is slim at this point ..
woulda said mccauley (as in he isn't in the same class as the others) but, luongo (and his ufa status) is another one i didn't think of.

Old
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
desperateblue

Well I will agree to disagree with you guys on McCabe, I think he is not a 3.5 mil a season dman but he will show us who is right this yr.
Either way I like the fact that we will be much more serious buyers next Aug.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:05 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada94
Right it looks like Fergy's plan has failed miserably in so many ways. Marleau, Vinny, Joe, Hossa, Havlat, Naslund, Morrison, and list goes on were all restricted and are locked up with Mutly years deals. So they're isn't going to be anyone young SUPERSTAR talent for free agents next summer. Say if Edmonton signs Ryan Smyth for a year he is a free agent do u think Fegy should try to sign him?
People keep focussing on the wrong thing, the cap. The real reality is that most teams in the NHL that are at or close to the cap will lose money. What was the one year lock-out all about anyway? A bunch of small market teams are spending in 2005 more money than they did in 2003. We all know revenues will be down in 2005. The Leafs will do OK because they may occassionally have cap problems they will never have budgetory problems and there will be teams out there hemmoraging come the end of the year. The NHL is a business and teams that make money will thrive and teams that don't will implode, it is only a matter of time. I find it so amusing that so many teams (fans) keep talking about the cap, the average payroll prior to the lock-out was 42 million and most teams lost money. That 42 million minus 24% is now approximately 32 million. How can a team pay 39 million in 2005 with reduced revenue make money? There will be a lot of high priced talent available cheap as the season goes on. The Jeremy Roenick trade was the template of things to come. Teams with money will prevail. Hang in there Leaf fans.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
FYI Havlat accepted his QO so it is just for this year ..

FWIW .. That still makes players like Samsonov, Havlat, Gagne, Redden, Chara, Jovo Brodeur etc etc.

However . Why is it only next year you are concerned about ??

Mats Sundin is still under contract for 3 more years as our franchise player and when his contract ends and he is turning 37-38 then all the recent Thornton, Hossa, Marleau will be as well ..

Also what about the RFA .. Will Atlanta be able to afford both Kovalchuk and Heatley at 5 mil+ long term ? Both are still unsigned .. What about TB situation .. Martin St. Louis the league MVP remains unsigned and Brad Richards is due next year .. With Vinny's big contract there could be fallout there ..

I think it is short-sightedness to panic because a few players that are not even Leafs property signed multi-year deals with their former teams .. If Allison and Lindros have big years then Toronto will need a bunch of money to resign them alone..
Havlat is not an UFA next season.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue
Well I will agree to disagree with you guys on McCabe, I think he is not a 3.5 mil a season dman but he will show us who is right this yr.
Either way I like the fact that we will be much more serious buyers next Aug.
You know while everyone keeps expecting this big buying spree next year ..

IF .. Lindros and Allison have big years like we all hope and expect they will and with McCabe and Kaberle both about to become UFA .. Fergy may in fact blow most of his budget and cap in retaining these 4 players ..

He has done this before when he resigned the team before the lockout and he may do it again ..

Just something to keep in mind ..

Old
08-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:

IF .. Lindros and Allison have big years like we all hope and expect they will and with McCabe and Kaberle both about to become UFA .. Fergy may in fact blow most of his budget and cap in retaining these 4 players ..
Very true and I've thought of this myself. However if Allison and Lindros do have big years and play like they're capable, I'd have no problem with them being our big signings. But at least we have the option to let them go.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:

He has done this before when he resigned the team before the lockout and he may do it again ..

Just something to keep in mind ..
Add to that wisdom that until the NHL stabilizes after the lockout to a point where everyone knows that the following years revenue will be higher than the last (and therefore the cap will be higher too) then the whole "next year's cap" discussion is a total mystery.

In light of the fact that the cap could go up, down or stay the same, one year contracts and conservatism is the way to go. Once the revenue picture of the league is stabilized then you can lock up players for longer terms and ensure you have a winning team for years to come while the other teams that were not patient and spent like crazy are stuck with their mistakes and can't improve their teams.

Old
08-26-2005, 10:16 PM
MentalPowerHouse

There are still some good UFAs next year.

Doan? Saku? am sure if you look on every team there is atleast one good UFA

A ton of good goalies too, Turco anyone?

Old
08-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I would love to see Marty Turco playin in Toronto next year.... I just hope we dont have to break the bank to land someone like him....

Closed Thread