HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad Calls Against Montreal

Old
04-23-2014, 02:35 PM
HawksFanForLife

vCash: 500
Bad Calls Against Montreal

This is going to seem silly but I'm on your guy's side, I'm kind of in a debate with my dad who's pretty annoying when talking about hockey (Leafs fan) where he's talking about Montreal getting the advantage with refs. I showed him the stats that PP time-PK time the Habs are only 21st in the league. However now he's claiming that Montreal always gets the call in the most crucial. Anyone have an examples/footage of the Canadiens getting screwed over by the refs? I really want to show him the bias of his thinking.
Anyway I'm cheering for you guys (I love Canadian crowds besides the suits at ACC), I'm really hoping for a Habs/Hawks Final.

HawksFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
April 6, 2013 against Boston Eller got a penalty in the last minute where Chara blatantly dove lol. That's the first one I can think of.

Also, the reason we get a lot of PP's late is because we're fast so teams have their slower, defensive guys out there and they have to take penalties sometimes. Like last night, Bournival had Pacquette beat, so he had no option but to trip him.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForLife View Post
This is going to seem silly but I'm on your guy's side, I'm kind of in a debate with my dad who's pretty annoying when talking about hockey (Leafs fan) where he's talking about Montreal getting the advantage with refs. I showed him the stats that PP time-PK time the Habs are only 21st in the league. However now he's claiming that Montreal always gets the call in the most crucial. Anyone have an examples/footage of the Canadiens getting screwed over by the refs? I really want to show him the bias of his thinking.
Anyway I'm cheering for you guys (I love Canadian crowds besides the suits at ACC), I'm really hoping for a Habs/Hawks Final.
Your dad is wrong.

However, in this series I would probably agree with him that we got the breaks. Sometimes that's how it works out. But it certainly doesn't happen like that most of the time.

As for evidence, I'm sure others here will be more than willing to provide it for you.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
SB164

FYI: OP made the same thread on the main boards a couple of days ago. It got shut down pretty quickly.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:41 PM
HawksFanForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
FYI: OP made the same thread on the main boards a couple of days ago. It got shut down pretty quickly.
That was more so about asking for the stats, this is in response to my father's rebutal of that topic.

HawksFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

It's been a long time, but I believe game 4 against the Sens last season felt rather....suspicious...
Zibanejad's goal, Gonchar coasting slower than a car with a blown head gasket...

That was some of the most awful final ten minutes I have ever felt while watching a hockey game...

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Anyone have an examples/footage of the Canadiens getting screwed over by the refs? I really want to show him the bias of his thinking.
The non-call on the season ending injury ( high stick to the eye with a lot of bleeding) of Koivu during the playoff against Carolina the year Carolina have won the Stanley cup. It should have been a 4 minute power play for Montreal. Montreal would have won the match and the serie if the infraction was called.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:58 PM
missthenet

Also the first shift in game 3 last year against Ottawa PK was cross checked in the face right in front of the ref and no penalty called, this year Bourques goal on delayed penalty not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
It's been a long time, but I believe game 4 against the Sens last season felt rather....suspicious...
Zibanejad's goal, Gonchar coasting slower than a car with a blown head gasket...

That was some of the most awful final ten minutes I have ever felt while watching a hockey game...

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Brendan Gallagher being gang ***** by the Jets while trying to get onside on super bowl weekend was quite the screw job.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
The no-goal against the Bruins because the ref lost sight of the puck. Think it was Gionta's goal IIRC.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
TCIH

It's an easy out for fans of opposing teams. I'm kinda tired of people talking about it, it's something that should just be ignored.

If someone instantly brings up biased officiating in Québec, it's similar to someone instantly blaming the goalie when a team gets scored on. It's a sign of laziness or lack of knowledge of the game: someone that pays more attention to the story of a game than actually watching it with a critical eye.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Pricef

Chara's hit on Patches - no suspension (It was a hockey play)

Garba's hit on Eller - No Suspension

The kicked in goal by Ottawa in last year's playoffs

Just the first few that come to mind.

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Lshap

Quote:
I think the greater point is that Montreal has been screwed as much or as little as any other team. It's not like the Habs are victims of worse reffing; it's that they're not beneficiaries of favourable reffing.

Respectfully, your Dad has fallen into the same emotional trap as so many rival fans, who need to justify their loss or Montreal's win by anything other than Montreal being better. They hate the team, so they invent scenarios to discredit them. Every Habs powerplay is because of 'bias', never because of anything the opposition did. Their emotions will not allow them to give Montreal credit, and they'll go to wild lengths to make up conspiracies. Bruins fans are famous for this tiresome nonsense, and they've repeated it for so long that it's become a cultish mantra. Is it real? No. Every stat says otherwise. In fact, as you've noticed, Montreal has been one of the most penalized teams in the league. Do they get more calls at crucial times? Again, no. Fans only notice it more during crucial times, which gives them reason to bubble over with whacky theories.

People will imagine what they want to imagine, which is why I avoid discussing religion and hockey.

By the way, I would absolutely love to face the Hawks in the SCF! Good luck to us both!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The 5 blatant non-calls on Bolts players last night before they finally called the tripping penalty that led to the winning PP goal.

The delayed penalty whistle the game before where we might well have scored (actually did, but granted the TB players relaxed due to the whistle) when nobody touched the puck to draw the whistle.

I mean, it's a steady stream. And for that matter, aside from the Stamkos off-side, I'm not seeing any "bad calls" in favour of the Habs. What were those "bad calls" again? Oh right, they did call a penalty when a guy did trip another player. But just the timing was somehow not right because they were previously ignoring the rulebook and it was the last 5 minutes of the game? Or they waved off a goal precisely per the definition in the rulebook, even though sometimes they ignore the rulebook? Which were the "bad calls" again, the ones where they actually applied the rulebook, or the ones where they ignored it?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The 5 blatant non-calls on Bolts players last night before they finally called the tripping penalty that led to the winning PP goal.

The delayed penalty whistle the game before where we might well have scored (actually did, but granted the TB players relaxed due to the whistle) when nobody touched the puck to draw the whistle.

I mean, it's a steady stream. And for that matter, aside from the Stamkos off-side, I'm not seeing any "bad calls" in favour of the Habs. What were those "bad calls" again? Oh right, they did call a penalty when a guy did trip another player. But just the timing was somehow not right because they were previously ignoring the rulebook and it was the last 5 minutes of the game? Or they waved off a goal precisely per the definition in the rulebook, even though sometimes they ignore the rulebook? Which were the "bad calls" again, the ones where they actually applied the rulebook, or the ones where they ignored it?
Great post

Old
04-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Duramarier

Youtube Phill Kessel offside breakaway goal. A Leafs player in a bruins uniform in Montreal during playoff. You got it all in 1 video.

Duramarier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Shaby23

As i said before, people are hating the Habs and that's why they think the refs are biased. Nothing we can do about that. They gonna hate us no matter what happens.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramarier View Post
Youtube Phill Kessel offside breakaway goal. A Leafs player in a bruins uniform in Montreal during playoff. You got it all in 1 video.
Wow that was BRUTAL. I don't remember seeing that plastered all over TSN, HNIC.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

The first two periods of last night's game were pretty hilariously biased towards the Lightning. Couldn't expect any less.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
The no-goal against the Bruins because the ref lost sight of the puck. Think it was Gionta's goal IIRC.
We talking about in the playoffs (2011? I think), the one where the ref lost sight of the puck (despite it being about a foot or so to Thomas' right), Gionta scored before the whistle and got it waved off on "intent to blow the whistle" ?

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Seems like a case of confirmation bias. We all do it in everyday life, it's such an easy trap to fall into. He believes that the Habs get special treatment, so he collects examples for his memory that confirms this and disposes of examples that disconfirm (when the opposite happens, or when nothing happens).

It's really easy to see on HF, especially now with the built in tag for it: "Montreal typical." If a call goes for the Habs you see a steady flood of people chiming in "Montreal typical," but if a big call goes the other way you get crickets (or Habs fans pointing out the hypocrisy). The fans who believe this is a pattern see the pattern and then even do something to reinforce the memory - going online and posting about it.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Respectfully, your Dad has fallen into the same emotional trap as so many rival fans, who need to justify their loss or Montreal's win by anything other than Montreal being better. They hate the team, so they invent scenarios to discredit them. Every Habs powerplay is because of 'bias', never because of anything the opposition did. Their emotions will not allow them to give Montreal credit, and they'll go to wild lengths to make up conspiracies. Bruins fans are famous for this tiresome nonsense, and they've repeated it for so long that it's become a cultish mantra. Is it real? No. Every stat says otherwise. In fact, as you've noticed, Montreal has been one of the most penalized teams in the league. Do they get more calls at crucial times? Again, no. Fans only notice it more during crucial times, which gives them reason to bubble over with whacky theories.
Confirmation bias, when situations that support a pre-conceived narrative are remembered while those that don't are forgotten. It's incredibly common, we all do to some degree or another, but in terms of religion, politics or sports it tends to be beyond the pale.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
Confirmation bias, when situations that support a pre-conceived narrative are remembered while those that don't are forgotten. It's incredibly common, we all do to some degree or another, but in terms of religion, politics or sports it tends to be beyond the pale.
Astrology is another great example.

Oh, and around HF: "jinx" threads or posts.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
We talking about in the playoffs (2011? I think), the one where the ref lost sight of the puck (despite it being about a foot or so to Thomas' right), Gionta scored before the whistle and got it waved off on "intent to blow the whistle" ?
Yep.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricef View Post
Chara's hit on Patches - no suspension (It was a hockey play)

Garba's hit on Eller - No Suspension

The kicked in goal by Ottawa in last year's playoffs

Just the first few that come to mind.
Gryba was suspended two games, actually.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote