HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

heatley's immigration status

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
heatley's immigration status

he is now under police custody and facing a very serious charge. Does anyone know about his immigration status? Is he a US citizen, can he be bared from entering the US if he leaves?

Old
10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

only if he is convicted of a felony

Old
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
he is now under police custody and facing a very serious charge. Does anyone know about his immigration status? Is he a US citizen, can he be bared from entering the US if he leaves?
He is a professional athlete. He will get no more than a slap on the wrist.

Maybe a few thousand dollar fine or something, I don't know how he will be able to make ends meet now with only x million dollars minus a few thousand bucks!!

Old
10-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Lard_Lad

I don't think he'll have a problem getting back into the U.S. Craig MacTavish didn't, and he served time in Massachusetts for vehicular homicide.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
He is a professional athlete. He will get no more than a slap on the wrist.
I certainly hope he gets a LOT more than that. I hope he serves time like any other citizen would do. He deserves the book thrown at him for what he did.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Jeez, some of you guys are being pretty harsh. Heatley is a super nice guy with a picture-perfect record as far as being a nice guy goes. Law abiding citizen. Car accidents like this happen all the damn time. And because Heatley's an athlete making lots of money, people jump all over him. You think he meant for that to happen?

~Canucklehead~

10-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Mizral

I don't mean to compare the two people AT ALL..

But Canucklehead, I don't see how that matters. OJ Simpson was considered one of the nicest pro athletes in the States for years.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I don't mean to compare the two people AT ALL..

But Canucklehead, I don't see how that matters. OJ Simpson was considered one of the nicest pro athletes in the States for years.
Hahhahaha
The 2 situations are VERY DIFFERENT!!

Old
10-01-2003, 05:12 PM
degroat*

I think it's hillarious that people really think that people get off for things becuase they are pro athletes. The very same things that pro athletes get off for regular joes get off for on a daily basis.. but, it's not made public.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I think it's hillarious that people really think that people get off for things becuase they are pro athletes. The very same things that pro athletes get off for regular joes get off for on a daily basis.. but, it's not made public.
True. People very rarely are punished to the full extent of the law.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
True. People very rarely are punished to the full extent of the law.
That's cause overcrowding of jails costs taxpayers' money. Heatley may deserve to have his liscence revoked for a couple years, but unless Snyder dies, the kid doesn't deserve much else other than a fine and loads (and I mean loads) of community service he wouldn't normally do with the Thrashers, unless it is proven he was drinking before the accident (toxicology reports take a week or two). Now if Snyder dies, its a whole new ball of wax that this kid is facing. Hell, I knew a kid who went to jail, because the parents of his friends wouldn't go pick them up, and he loaded up a Honda CRX with like 9 people. 5 died on a wet road cause he was goin too fast, and the road slightly curved. He ended up spendin a year in jail for the deaths of five of his friends. Similar situation to Heatley if Snyder dies, which to god I hope he doesn't for his (Snyder's) family's sake.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Jeez, some of you guys are being pretty harsh. Heatley is a super nice guy with a picture-perfect record as far as being a nice guy goes. Law abiding citizen. Car accidents like this happen all the damn time.
Yeah, especially when you down a couple of beers and drive at speeds in excess of 80 MPH on a curvy, hilly residential street in the middle of the night. That's pretty far from "law abiding", last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
You think he meant for that to happen?
Doesn't matter. In the least.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
I don't think he'll have a problem getting back into the U.S. Craig MacTavish didn't, and he served time in Massachusetts for vehicular homicide.
i think this is a very important point that not many people are aware of, but does show us how much has changed over the years. Nobody will ever look at heater the same now that the media is so involved in how the fans view players. MacT was able to restart his life without much problems, and really got things together

Old
10-01-2003, 06:01 PM
DarioinDenver

I believe the law states that visas can be pulled and immigrants can be extridited from the US if they commit "Aggrivated" Felonies. Most of these wouldn't apply to Heatley as of yet (murder, ****, felony assault etc...) but aggrivated felonies are also characterised in a general sense as crimes that have a jail sentence of 2 years or more.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
Hahhahaha
The 2 situations are VERY DIFFERENT!!
You're right, because Heatley will get convicted.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

In the end, and because of his status, his lawyer will successfully argue that Heatley can give a lot more back to the community by agreeing to a huge community service program where he speaks to youths about the dangers of driving wrecklessly.

At the end of the day, he'll be able to do a lot of good if he embraces such a program. And hopefully Snyder will recover to the point where we can look back at this 5 years from now, and say the incident and aftermath probably saved lives.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:56 PM
Benji Frank

It could affect whether he's allowed leave the States or not...

For a number of years Bob Probert could only play games in the States, 'cuz he had some drug charges on his rap sheet and would 't be allowed back into the country if he left ....

Last year, Billy Tibbetts never played in Canada either as he wasn't allowed leave the States......

Old
10-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Silver

Having had some fun with the INS myself, I have a hunch on this one:

(Assuming Heatley is convicted of the felony charge here...)
If he was Mexican and didn't have a lawyer, he'd be deported as soon as his sentence (even if suspended) was done.

But, he's going to have a lawyer. A good one. And that is what makes things move at the INS. I think he'll be fine as far as immigration status goes. He may have trouble avoiding prison, however.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:07 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Having had some fun with the INS myself, I have a hunch on this one:

(Assuming Heatley is convicted of the felony charge here...)
If he was Mexican and didn't have a lawyer, he'd be deported as soon as his sentence (even if suspended) was done.

But, he's going to have a lawyer. A good one. And that is what makes things move at the INS. I think he'll be fine as far as immigration status goes. He may have trouble avoiding prison, however.
What exactly is the INS you speak of?

Old
10-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
Yeah, especially when you down a couple of beers and drive at speeds in excess of 80 MPH on a curvy, hilly residential street in the middle of the night. That's pretty far from "law abiding", last time I checked.
His tox. reports are not back yet, so to say something like this is poor.

I think at 22, most of us would drive the same car 80 mph and think nothing of it. Heck, the best part of driving is on curvy roads. It is stupid, but at 22 most of us are.

Old
10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
What exactly is the INS you speak of?
The Immigration and Naturalization Service (of the U.S.). However, sometime after Sept. 11, 2001 the name was changed to the BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service).

Old
10-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
His tox. reports are not back yet, so to say something like this is poor.
The toxicology reports may not be back yet, but the police have already interviewed a bartender who served him "one or two" beers before the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
I think at 22, most of us would drive the same car 80 mph and think nothing of it. Heck, the best part of driving is on curvy roads. It is stupid, but at 22 most of us are.
Yeah, and when you do something that stupid and ruin someone else's life, you have to pay the price. Heatly deserves to pay a big one, and I hope he is made to do so.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Fire Bobby Clarke

To all you Heatley bashers...RELAX

People have to remember he is still a kid...and from past expiriences kids *uck up. I hope people don't bash this kid because he is a very extremely talented hockey player and from what I have seen in interviews a really nice down to earth kid.

I am not knocking Snyder but people always tend to make someone with major injuries in a same vehicle car crash a victim and the driver a villian.

As soon as snyder stepped into the Ferrari do you think he was saying "hey Danny make sure you do the speed limit"...no he wanted to ride in a ferrari...you know what I mean.

Bottom line is, this was a very unfortunate accident and I hope both players recover well and in Snyders case I hope to see him play hockey again.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:13 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
I think how Heatley is punished depends on what happens to Snyder. If Snyder makes a full recovery, and hopefully, plays hockey again, I don't think Heatley gets much, probably a stiff fine and hours upon hours of community service. But, after that, it'll just get worse.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Bobby Clarke
To all you Heatley bashers...RELAX

People have to remember he is still a kid...and from past expiriences kids *uck up. I hope people don't bash this kid because he is a very extremely talented hockey player and from what I have seen in interviews a really nice down to earth kid.

I am not knocking Snyder but people always tend to make someone with major injuries in a same vehicle car crash a victim and the driver a villian.

As soon as snyder stepped into the Ferrari do you think he was saying "hey Danny make sure you do the speed limit"...no he wanted to ride in a ferrari...you know what I mean.

Bottom line is, this was a very unfortunate accident and I hope both players recover well and in Snyders case I hope to see him play hockey again.
it is the drivers responsibilty to make sure he obeys the law. heatley did not. its a shame that you can not see that heatley deserves to serve a long jail time. the good thing about it is he is in georgia not where hockey is NOT king. Where justice is served, heatley deserves to rot in jail and think about the crime he commited. yes we have all done stupid stuff in our life but what he did was careless. i dont care if he is a nice guy. he commmited a crime and shold be punished. just because he can score 50 goals does not give him the right to do what ever he wants!

Closed Thread