HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The long lay-off between series. Good or bad?

View Poll Results: The long lay-off between series. Good or bad?
Good 103 66.88%
Bad 15 9.74%
Depends on what happens in the Boston - Detroit series / no opinion / other 36 23.38%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
BrendanGallagher11

vCash: 500
Very bad. We usually struggle our first serious game or games after long breaks

Example: First game of season Olympic break and any other break

I expect game 1 to be slow offensively for us.

BrendanGallagher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
a little TOO long of a rest will definitely be bad, but only for tthe next round

the GOOD news is, .. if its boston...wont take us too long to get jumpstarted again, theyre the only opponent that can do that to us

but i will say this, every team that hopes to win the cup better have a sweep in there somewhere, not only for confidence, but just for gas in the tank in general, i absolutely love that the habs have the rest of the 3 rounds of the playoffs to play having had a decent little stretch to rest up and heal up in minor areas, no matter HOW you cut it, its definitely an advantage to be injury risk free / fatigue free for a solid week

all i can say is i just hope it doesnt go 7 for bruins momentum / over-rest purposes

5 would be nice, 6 would be perfect

and if detroit somehow pulls it off, hey, ..game 1 at the BELL baby, thatll shake off some cob webs in a hurry too

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 04:13 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Absolutely a plus for the Habs to have the longest break possible, the reasons being as follows;

1) The recovery of Galchenyuk, Moen, any of our players that have minor injuries.
2) Time for practicing systems, different defence pairings learning more about each others tendencies, eg Weaver, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn working with Murray, Boullion, and the top four in case of injuries. Power play alignments, players coming back from injuries, getting their timing back, getting caught up to the pace again.
3) The experience of being in and around the Habs at playoff times for our prospects to learn how to prepare from our best players, without the pressure of gamedays. This being a great teaching tool for the prospects and will have better results for the team if they need them to step in.

With all of the players available the Habs can have some really gamelilke practices, to run the PP & PK and just great atmosphere for all coaches & players to come together building trust in new players & prospects. I really can't see a down side for the Habs, in having the break.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 05:22 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Good. Banged up bodies get much needed rest and the vets can recharge their batteries.

Rest is key during the playoffs. They could have up to ten days off so take a few days away from the arena and then it is back to work.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 06:47 AM
habtastic

We all thought that the Tbay series was going to be close, even with Bishop out. (Okay, so some didn't, but very few.) Nobody expected to see the utter dominance of this team and I challenge the idea that we got lucky with calls. Tbay got PPs that they scored on + just couldn't handle our pace and system.

Point being that the team we saw over the past four games was a team ready for the playoffs and one that IMO shocked the heck out of everyone in terms of what a complete game we could play. Execution was great and it was everyone contributing. Even when we were doing well during the season, this was not the case. When Price plays below his average (taking the entire series into account -- I thought he was excellent in crucial situations and made saves look easy) and we dominate...something is up. I think this team will surprise us with how resilient they will be to the supposed rustiness that might set it.

I also like the idea of practice and rest. Very much hoping for the Wings to find a solution to take it to 7 games.

I'm also surprisingly baffled by what I would do with Chucky if he's back. I actually think Prust was very good overall in his role and on that line. Couple of lapses but great forecheck.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 06:49 AM
RIPFORUMRDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
We all thought that the Tbay series was going to be close, even with Bishop out. (Okay, so some didn't, but very few.) Nobody expected to see the utter dominance of this team and I challenge the idea that we got lucky with calls. Tbay got PPs that they scored on + just couldn't handle our pace and system.

Point being that the team we saw over the past four games was a team ready for the playoffs and one that IMO shocked the heck out of everyone in terms of what a complete game we could play. Execution was great and it was everyone contributing. Even when we were doing well during the season, this was not the case. When Price plays below his average (taking the entire series into account -- I thought he was excellent in crucial situations and made saves look easy) and we dominate...something is up. I think this team will surprise us with how resilient they will be to the supposed rustiness that might set it.

I also like the idea of practice and rest. Very much hoping for the Wings to find a solution to take it to 7 games.

I'm also surprisingly baffled by what I would do with Chucky if he's back. I actually think Prust was very good overall in his role and on that line. Couple of lapses but great forecheck.
Imo we should play with 14 forward and 4 defense only

RIPFORUMRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Good: Montréal players can now go to the Golf course, beat the Leafs, and come back for round 2.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:11 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanGallagher11 View Post
Very bad. We usually struggle our first serious game or games after long breaks

Example: First game of season Olympic break and any other break

I expect game 1 to be slow offensively for us.
Look guys, I found THE one that doesn't see this as a great thing.

You really think that the team is going to lose focus IN THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS? With Therrien as the coach? Comon. You can't put a price tag on taking time to recharge the batteries and taking care that those minor injuries heal up properly.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

No idea if it's good or bad. But if we lose next series I'll use it as an excuse anyway.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Cupmonger

Good:
-Gives time for the injuries to heal
-Allows players to be fresh
-Gives time to work on aspects of the system that wasn't so great during the last series
-Gives time to analyze opponents game system
-Players are more healthy than theirs

Bad:
-Going into the next round cold
-Breaks our momentum
-Rust
-History of not doing so well after long breaks
-Opponents are still hot from their series

I'm mainly worried if the break goes on for 6 or more days. I think it could make our team more complacent. However, if our boys can keep warm and motivated, all the while improving on aspects of their game such as the special teams and defensive coverage, then that would be great.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:16 AM
LePoche69

Good AND bad.

But definitly good if the team is destined to go further in the playoffs, like conference final.

And definitly bad for at least the first 10 minutes of the first game.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:17 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No idea if it's good or bad. But if we lose next series I'll use it as an excuse anyway.
I would have "liked" that comment on facebook.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:22 AM
3low5*

Always choose the sweep, the rest for a bunch of bruised up players is always a good thing.

Thing is, should the habs fail big in the next round people will equate it to the long lay off. To me that is BS. Who is to say a shorter lay off would have changed things? And you never know, if games 5-6-7 had to happen, maybe Price and Subban get injured. You just never know. Always choose the rest!

3low5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Galchenfou

I hope Rask gets bishoped

Galchenfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
ROSSter

A rest in the marathon that is NHL playoff hockey is a good thing. The body will thank them.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Good. No risk of incurring further injuries from a drawn-out series. Currently injured players can rest up. Less fatigue.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
SB164

According to Arpon Basu:

Since '06 there have been eight 1st rd sweeps in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Only two of those teams won in the 2nd round (DET '09, PIT '08).

But each of those second round winners made the Cup final.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:10 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Selon l'attaquant Dale Weise, plusieurs membres du CH ne sont pas au sommet de leur forme. «Cette pause, c'est immense à ce moment-ci de la saison, a expliqué Weise.
Quote:
«Cette pause est très importante pour nous, parce que ce sera l'occasion de se remettre des petites blessures», a noté le gardien Carey Price.
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...8_section_POS1

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Didn't read the posts but this is a very good thing for this club. Price is still banged up, he just doesn't seem to be moving like he was earlier in the year and this gives him a solid week off of treatment and healing, which is the best possible thing for this club.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Good: Montréal players can now go to the Golf course, beat the Leafs, and come back for round 2.
I did a spit-take with my lunch.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Didn't read the posts but this is a very good thing for this club. Price is still banged up, he just doesn't seem to be moving like he was earlier in the year and this gives him a solid week off of treatment and healing, which is the best possible thing for this club.
This makes a lot of sense.

In general, what we lose in momentum, we gain in regained health. As others have said, it's a chance to refill the tank.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

No one will make me believe that rest is a bad thing

Our timing might be off 3-4 shifts in game 1, but that's about it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:07 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No one will make me believe that rest is a bad thing

Our timing might be off 3-4 shifts in game 1, but that's about it
At first I thought I didn't like it. Earlier in the season the Habs looked great and after 5 days off looked terrible. But in the playoffs, I doubt you need help find your intensity, especially against the Bruins. I also assume it will be the Bruins since Detroit has 1 goal in 3 games.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:21 PM
jpchabby

I voted that it depends... If the Boston-Detroit series finishes in 5 games, both Mtl and Boston would have a long pause, so it wouldn't change anything IMO.

Generally, I don't like it... almost 2 weeks without playing? It's nice we won a series so easily, but that's a lot of time without playing, and I fear our momentum could be a thing of the past.

But then again, with the Bell Centre crowd, it's hard not to have some sort of momentum.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
At first I thought I didn't like it. Earlier in the season the Habs looked great and after 5 days off looked terrible. But in the playoffs, I doubt you need help find your intensity, especially against the Bruins. I also assume it will be the Bruins since Detroit has 1 goal in 3 games.
It's actually 2 goals but ya I agree with you. Zetterberg or not I don't see the Wings winning this series, I'd be very surprised to be honest. Bruins are just too deep

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote