HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #4 | Rangers at Flyers | Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 |7:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Laughton not playing?!?!??!?

I bet he needs some practice time. Vinny still sucks

Old
04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

It probably has to do with Laughton not knowing the system. When he got his cup of coffee in the NHL, Lavi was still coach. But even then,he'd still bring more than Rinaldo.

Old
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
blinds

Rinaldo over Laughton.. that's how you win games. /s

Old
04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
What? The only team with 7 20-goal scorers is not a team with bad secondary scoring.

No one really knows how Laughton will adapt to the NHL game defensively. Inserting him in the lineup may work like it did for Akeson, but Laughton isn't going to save the series on his own (like Akeson).

I really don't get why people are getting bent out of shape about Laughton.
I meant in terms of a drop-off in talent and it's worth noting that even though we have seven twenty goal scorers few of them are defensively responsible, none of them are likely ever 30 goal guys (Simmonds is close though and Hartnell has been in the past), and after Giroux none of them are even 70 point guys most seasons.

Our secondary scoring is more quantity then it is quality if that helps.

Also, nobody is really getting bent out of shape, but putting in Laughton over even Rinaldo alone is improvement. That's what a coach is supposed to do, field the best players and combinations to field the best roster possible. Berube doesn't do that in many regards with lineup decisions.

Old
04-24-2014, 09:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

They're likely weighing the options to whether they want to commit to the possibility of burning a year off if necessary.

If they're unwilling to there's no point of throwing him out there just to pull him later on unless your hand is forced because of an injury, suspension, etc. of course.

Old
04-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

If that's the issue then play him for 9 games and worry about it then...

Old
04-24-2014, 09:37 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Also, nobody is really getting bent out of shape, but putting in Laughton over even Rinaldo alone is improvement. That's what a coach is supposed to do, field the best players and combinations to field the best roster possible. Berube doesn't do that in many regards with lineup decisions.
There's the key word, though.

Laughton, who has minimal experience taking faceoffs against NHL centres, will either come in at a huge disadvantage in his natural position, or come into the middle of the playoffs in an unnatural position.

I'm baffled that Emery started Game 3, but I understand why Laughton isn't coming into Game 4.

Edit: and, yes, people are definitely getting bent out of shape over this decision (like they were about the Emery Game 3 decision).

04-24-2014, 09:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
If that's the issue then play him for 9 games and worry about it then...
It's going to be tough to make an impact to where they'll keep you past that mark when playing a limited role on the 4th line.

It would suck to tell him he has to watch from the pressbox for the remaining games because they don't want to burn off a year when/if the team is in the thick of it.

I just think that would be the ultimate tease to a 20 year old in what would be his first experience of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-24-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old
04-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
There's the key word, though.

Laughton, who has minimal experience taking faceoffs against NHL centres, will either come in at a huge disadvantage in his natural position, or come into the middle of the playoffs in an unnatural position.

I'm baffled that Emery started Game 3, but I understand why Laughton isn't coming into Game 4.

Edit: and, yes, people are definitely getting bent out of shape over this decision (like they were about the Emery Game 3 decision).
I'm just under the assumption that Laughton would be at wing if he were put in. We still have the same glut of centers that we've had all season, albeit the fact that Schenn and Lecavalier aren't really mainstay centers at this point.

Old
04-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It's going to be tough to make an impact to where they'll keep you past that mark when playing a limited role on the 4th line.

It would suck to tell him he has to watch from the pressbox for the remaining games because they don't want to burn off a year when/if the team is in the thick of it.

I just think that would be the ultimate tease to a 20 year old in what would be his first experience of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Maybe, but give him a choice of playing 9 games with a small chance of more or 0 games and I'd bet he'd take the 9. Anyway, if they get to the point where he's played 9 games that would mean they're deep into the 2nd round and I'd be more worried about keeping the run alive than about a year of an ELC.

Old
04-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
I'm just under the assumption that Laughton would be at wing if he were put in. We still have the same glut of centers that we've had all season, albeit the fact that Schenn and Lecavalier aren't really mainstay centers at this point.
Why would he be at wing?

Raffl and Hall have both played a lot of wing this year so why not just put them on his wings on the 4th line?

Old
04-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Why would he be at wing?

Raffl and Hall have both played a lot of wing this year so why not just put them on his wings on the 4th line?
If were putting Laughton in on a fourth line role there's no real reason to have him at center I think. Only spot where he should be at center is the second line since it doesn't really have one but obviously we shouldn't do that.

Like CF said if you put him at center he's likely to be torn apart by established NHL guys (especially since the Rags have home-ice this series) in both the face-off circle and maybe even defensively. I don't know how Hall is doing face-off wise honestly but he's been a beast at it the rest of this season and he's perfectly fine defensively so there's no need to displace him.

On that fourth line the winger, Rinaldo, is the one who needs a replacement with potential so that's where Laughton should go hypothetically. If were putting Laughton in (hypothetically, again) it's for defensive prowess and possibly some youthful energy primarily, both of which can still be achieved just fine at wing.

It also wouldn't mean you can't move him back to center after the series. If the Flyers advance and he plays well you can either shift Couturier to 2C and Laughton to 3C (or vice versa) against teams less dangerous then the Rangers (which is pretty much everyone besides Boston for the Flyers) or keep him at wing and move him back to center after the season.

Aside from the ELC years stuff I don't see what the big deal would be with any of that.

Edit: Just to summarize, this is the playoffs and if Laughton is being put in its to advance rounds. It's about winning. We don't really have to worry about Laughtons long-term center development if that's not why he's being put in, get what I mean? If it were the regular season, sure, put him in at center and shift Hall to wing with growing pains and all but it's not that situation.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 04-24-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old
04-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
If were putting Laughton in on a fourth line role there's no real reason to have him at center I think. Only spot where he should be at center is the second line since it doesn't really have one but obviously we shouldn't do that.

Like CF said if you put him at center he's likely to be torn apart by established NHL guys (especially since the Rags have home-ice this series) in both the face-off circle and maybe even defensively. I don't know how Hall is doing face-off wise honestly but he's been a beast at it the rest of this season and he's perfectly fine defensively so there's no need to displace him.

On that fourth line the winger, Rinaldo, is the one who needs a replacement with potential so that's where Laughton should go hypothetically. If were putting Laughton in (hypothetically, again) it's for defensive prowess and possibly some youthful energy primarily, both of which can still be achieved just fine at wing.

It also wouldn't mean you can't move him back to center after the series. If the Flyers advance and he plays well you can either shift Couturier to 2C and Laughton to 3C (or vice versa) against teams less dangerous then the Rangers (which is pretty much everyone besides Boston for the Flyers) or keep him at wing and move him back to center after the season.

Aside from the ELC years stuff I don't see what the big deal would be with any of that.

Edit: Just to summarize, this is the playoffs and if Laughton is being put in its to advance rounds. It's about winning. We don't really have to worry about Laughtons long-term center development if that's not why he's being put in, get what I mean? If it were the regular season, sure, put him in at center and shift Hall to wing with growing pains and all but it's not that situation.
Hmmm, makes sense, thanks.

Old
04-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Yeah, my vote would be for Laughton at wing too.

04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, my vote would be for Laughton at wing too.
How would you feel about him on the 2nd D pairing?

Old
04-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Giroux is going to have a 3-4 point night, the PP will work, and the Flyers will win.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
They're likely weighing the options to whether they want to commit to the possibility of burning a year off if necessary.

If they're unwilling to there's no point of throwing him out there just to pull him later on unless your hand is forced because of an injury, suspension, etc. of course.
If putting Laughton in means we get at least 9 more playoff games this season then do it now and worry about that later. The way this team has been inconsistent with its play it's awfully ballsy to worry about 9 games and burning a year on a contract when this club has done little to make me believe they'll extend this series with the Rangers past Game 5.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:38 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
If putting Laughton in means we get at least 9 more playoff games this season then do it now and worry about that later. The way this team has been inconsistent with its play it's awfully ballsy to worry about 9 games and burning a year on a contract when this club has done little to make me believe they'll extend this series with the Rangers past Game 5.
If the Flyers get that far it won't be because of Laugton, that was my point. It's hard to make an impact while playing on the fourth line.

I can totally see why someone would have reservations about about the whole situation.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
They don't have to weigh that until he's played in 9 games. He's not playing tonight because they don't think it's a good idea to throw him out there without even getting to practice with the team.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Feelin' lucky tonight. I think there is going to be a stolen game by the Flyers.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:48 AM
duffy9748

Reading these boards you would think the Flyers are down 0-3.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
No one really knows how Laughton will adapt to the NHL game defensively. Inserting him in the lineup may work like it did for Akeson, but Laughton isn't going to save the series on his own (like Akeson).

I really don't get why people are getting bent out of shape about Laughton.
I don't either. Now if Rinaldo has another game of contributing nothing tonight and Laughton isn't inserted for game 5 after being with the team for three or four days, then I'll start getting bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Good news. I won't complain if he doesn't play till game 5, though. He needs a little practice time to get in sync with the team.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
They don't have to weigh that until he's played in 9 games. He's not playing tonight because they don't think it's a good idea to throw him out there without even getting to practice with the team.
Much more accurate.

Quote:
I don't either. Now if Rinaldo has another game of contributing nothing tonight and Laughton isn't inserted for game 5 after being with the team for three or four days, then I'll start getting bent.
Also how I feel. Not a big deal right now, but after this game if there's an opportunity to probably improve your team in the playoffs with pretty much no major negative consequences then you do it. It's as simple as that.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Reading these boards you would think the Flyers are down 0-3.
They way they have played they very easily could be. Game two was a game they got outplayed but were able to win. They've been overmatched all series long. I'm not really a panicky guy, but this is definitely a panicky situation.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

win *****es

Closed Thread