HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Draft Watch & Discussion VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2014, 03:40 PM
dangerMcdanger

vCash: 500
I just hope that the oilers scouts have seen a lot of Draisatl in PA, and are not basing their opinion off a few games where they "saw him good" or bad. I know going to PA sucks so they may have been reluctant to get out there, and could be basing the pick off of the WJC's for the most part.

Old
04-25-2014, 04:00 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think between Reinhart (provided he falls), Bennett, or Draistal if the pick is between those three, they should just take the BPA.

We're not fixing all of our problems in one draft, but having 2 potential no.1 centers going forward is something this team has not had for a long time and it's a decent foundation to work from going ahead.

At least you can build from something (decent center depth and good wingers to surround them with).

I'm comfortable with any combo of RNH + Bennett/Reinhart/Draistal going forward.
Honestly, so am I. It's extremely unlikely one of the top centers we don't pick will suddenly become a superstar and we'll all be angry.

This is the least emotionally invested in a draft I've been in some time.

Old
04-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Pondcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
Another way to look at it is that it shouldnt matter how physical or defensive Draisaitl or Bennett or Reinhart is....take whoever the scouts have enough data on and whoever MacT thinks they should take, fine. Sure we can debate the qualities of the prospects but the team won't live or die with this pick.

We need Eberle, Gagner and Yakupov to play better defensively and physically not Leon or the Sams....who we yet to, and may never even, draft.

I'm happy to have guys drafted with pedigree and have them come up slowly, or step right in, whatever...but I don't believe you can trust an 18 year old to carry heavy minutes when guys 3-5 years in are unable to do it.

Ultimately they need a personnel change, which has been said time and time again, and who they draft is almost/should be inconsequential to what happens next year.

Old
04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Aceonfire*

The more I see and read about Bennett, the more I hope he falls to the Oilers.

I was totally wrong about this kid.

But considering how good he is..

Florida and Buffalo are likely going to take Reinhart/Bennett..

Which leaves the Oilers in a difficult position. They obviously want Draisaitl, but Ekblad is the best defenseman in his draft class.

Old
04-25-2014, 04:29 PM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Nuge is comparable is Datzyuk.
Reinhart is a Nuge Toews split.
Bennet is a Hall Toews split.
Leon is a Kopitar, Big Joe comparable and for those saying he isn't "that big" it's true but scouting reports are very similar. A Kopitar lite certainly doesn't suck and fills a need.
Draisaitl is the Kopitar\Joe of juniors. Without the extra 2 inches there is no way he becomes Kopitar lite. Draisaitl's puck posession plays are great against kids who are 10-20lbs lighter than him but wont work against NHL Dmen.

Reminds me of Mark McNeill more than Joe Thornton.

Bennett is also nothing like Toews with his size. He is more like a Yakupov-Cogliano split ..

Old
04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Draisaitl is the Kopitar\Joe of juniors. Without the extra 2 inches there is no way he becomes Kopitar lite. Draisaitl's puck posession plays are great against kids who are 10-20lbs lighter than him but wont work against NHL Dmen.

Reminds me of Mark McNeill more than Joe Thornton.

Bennett is also nothing like Toews with his size. He is more like a Yakupov-Cogliano split ..
Bennett is 2 inches taller than both. Plus he is much more defensively responsible. He is a Mike Richards. But I can see the Toews comparison.

Its not like Toews makes his living using his size to dominate. He uses a non stop motor, plus solid defensive play and good offensive skills

Old
04-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Another way to look at it is that it shouldnt matter how physical or defensive Draisaitl or Bennett or Reinhart is....take whoever the scouts have enough data on and whoever MacT thinks they should take, fine. Sure we can debate the qualities of the prospects but the team won't live or die with this pick.

We need Eberle, Gagner and Yakupov to play better defensively and physically not Leon or the Sams....who we yet to, and may never even, draft.
Agreed. Eberle will never be good defensively, and he will also get pushed around along the boards. But it doesn't take skill to back check, or battle for a puck in the corner.

If he can do back check and compete at all times, im perfectly ok with him being a 65-75 point 1 way winger

Old
04-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Soundwave

I don't see Gagner or (perhaps sadly) Yakupov being here past this summer so I don't really think the pick should be based on a lineup with those two in it.

Old
04-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Pondcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
The Gritty

Hall-Bennett-Yakupov
Penner-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Richards-Callahan
Hendricks-Gordon-Clifford

Nurse-Seidenberg
Klefbom-Petry
Ference-Schultz

The "High Scoring" (note quotations)

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Reinhart-Yakupov
Gagner-Richards-Callahan
Horak-Gordon-Arcobello

Nurse-Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Larsen

The Defensive and also is impossibler than the others...

Hall-Dubinsky-Perron
Bailey-Hopkins-Eberle
Lander-Richards-Moss
Hendricks-Gordon-Gazdic

Klefbom-Subban
Ference-Ekblad
Marincin-Petry

The German

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Horak-Goc-Chase
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick

Erhoff-Seidenberg
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

Last edited by Pondcake: 04-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old
04-25-2014, 06:54 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
Maybe it's just in different forums, I know the prospect one had a lot of Oilers should take LD because the Oilers need size in the top six.

Nice to see most people around here want the Oilers to take the best prospect (assuming Bennett is).
I think most people realize the size thing between LD and SB is a nonissue. Both are very different players

I want to know who best plays pivot. I dont want another dime a dozen winger. They may list as centres but i think LD plays a centre game and SB plays a wingers game.

If we draft at 3 and reinhart and ekblad is gone... I know the Oilers will choose the best CENTRE. Not another winger. It will be theguy to take draws and distribute pucks for the high octane wingers.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
DearOldUncleTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I think most people realize the size thing between LD and SB is a nonissue. Both are very different players

I want to know who best plays pivot. I dont want another dime a dozen winger. They may list as centres but i think LD plays a centre game and SB plays a wingers game.

If we draft at 3 and reinhart and ekblad is gone... I know the Oilers will choose the best CENTRE. Not another winger. It will be theguy to take draws and distribute pucks for the high octane wingers.
Really? Everything I've seen of them says the opposite.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post

I see it as the complete opposite, Drasaitl will most likely be moved over to the wing as he plays well on the boards and doesn't have great foot speed. Where as Bennett has the skating to be able to get back defensively at center. To me Drasaitl would make a nice PWF winger and Bennett a Gritty two way center. But thats just me.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:26 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
Stauffer interviewed Ekblad today. Sadly I tuned out after he brought up playing on the same athletic club as Bouwmeester (wtf???) so I can't provide details.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
aspin

I have watched these highlights tonnes of times and the more and more I watch them the more convinced I get.

Watch them for yourselves and I know you will not all agree but:

This first person has a tiny bit more speed and a bit more strength than the second person but the second person has better hands for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svCdZiNfbvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvEkofKKdlQ

Neither of them control the play like this third person does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkR-F14cK1Y

The interviews and checks on work ethic, etc. of course will be key but by everyone's accounts they are good. Keep in mind that the kids with more size and weight take a bit longer to get used to their bigger body than the guys that are smaller. To me Bennet reminds me a lot of Gagner mixed with a bit of Cogliano.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Took a pill in Sbisa
2showToffoliIwascool

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
The more I see and read about Bennett, the more I hope he falls to the Oilers.

I was totally wrong about this kid.

But considering how good he is..

Florida and Buffalo are likely going to take Reinhart/Bennett..

Which leaves the Oilers in a difficult position. They obviously want Draisaitl, but Ekblad is the best defenseman in his draft class.
I'm not sure why people think Florida wouldn't covet Ekblad ahead of Bennett

Old
04-25-2014, 08:04 PM
viran45

Been listening to both 1260 and 630 last few days and both stations have been pumping LD. Even so far as to say oilers should take LD if Reinhart falls. I know we have a similar build in player in RNH but to me regardless you take the bpa.

Anyone else finding the same thing last couple days? I think it was lowetide today and 630 ched last night.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin View Post
I have watched these highlights tonnes of times and the more and more I watch them the more convinced I get.

Watch them for yourselves and I know you will not all agree but:

This first person has a tiny bit more speed and a bit more strength than the second person but the second person has better hands for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svCdZiNfbvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvEkofKKdlQ

Neither of them control the play like this third person does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkR-F14cK1Y

The interviews and checks on work ethic, etc. of course will be key but by everyone's accounts they are good. Keep in mind that the kids with more size and weight take a bit longer to get used to their bigger body than the guys that are smaller. To me Bennet reminds me a lot of Gagner mixed with a bit of Cogliano.
Can't agree with any of that.

Bennett looks fast and big compared to Gagner, who even against junior competition looks slow and dependant on his stickhandling tricks.

Draisalti looks Gagner slow in a highlight package dedicated exclusively to plays where he's at best, and frequently manhandles opposition in a way that gives credence to the idea that he is more physically mature than his peers.

Not that any of that matters, as scouting players based on highlights is a pretty poor way to get an accurate opinion of a player's abilities.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:39 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

Bennett looks fast and big compared to Gagner, who even against junior competition looks slow and dependant on his stickhandling tricks.

Draisalti looks Gagner slow in a highlight package dedicated exclusively to plays where he's at best, and frequently manhandles opposition in a way that gives credence to the idea that he is more physically mature than his peers.

Not that any of that matters, as scouting players based on highlights is a pretty poor way to get an accurate opinion of a player's abilities.

I can't agree more with the bolded. Does anyone remember far enough back to remember how pumped Oilers fans were for http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=51224 this guy based on his highlight video.

Oilers fans were convinced he'd be the equivalent to what Valeri Nichushkin is today.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:04 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by viran45 View Post
Been listening to both 1260 and 630 last few days and both stations have been pumping LD. Even so far as to say oilers should take LD if Reinhart falls. I know we have a similar build in player in RNH but to me regardless you take the bpa.

Anyone else finding the same thing last couple days? I think it was lowetide today and 630 ched last night.
That's been a season-long thing with the local media. I don't get it personally. You'd think his birth certificate said "Edmonton" on it. Yeesh.

And to the guy who compared Bennett to Gagner...4:20 was hours ago man. Put down the pipe!

Old
04-25-2014, 09:16 PM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

I wish Robby Fabbri was bigger.

The more I watch Guelph, the more I think he's going to be a steal.

Elite hands, great skater, great vision, top-end shot and passing, a non-stop motor and pretty good defensively too.

Unfortunately he's only listed at 5'10'' 165lbs.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:17 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

I dont mind if a player dominates physically against peers that are same age, one year older or one year younger...as most of those leagues are in that age range....WHEN THE PHYSICAL DOMINANCE COMES FROM WORK ETHIC IN THE GYM. Big difference between a guy who can dominate with size at 6-4 and didnt have to work for it, and a guy who is avergage height but weighs higher than average because he is a gym rat and hits the bricks every day religiously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I see it as the complete opposite, Drasaitl will most likely be moved over to the wing as he plays well on the boards and doesn't have great foot speed. Where as Bennett has the skating to be able to get back defensively at center. To me Drasaitl would make a nice PWF winger and Bennett a Gritty two way center. But thats just me.
so be it than... I always felt my wingers should be explosive and most coaches for their top six agree.

My point was, without having a horse in this race, who plays center the most in their kids league and who needs to be pamperred against children by playing wing. I dont know...which is why i ask.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:23 PM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viran45 View Post

Yeah, I don't really understand the "too similar to RNH" stuff.

I just can't fathom how two RNHs on a team could be a bad thing.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:23 PM
McLotto 97
Believe in 13.5%

vCash: 305
First preference for me is a center. If AE drops to 3 I think you have yo take him although I would think long and hard about it. I will be really happy with any of the 3 centers. I would rate them as follows

SR 8.1 B
SB 8.0 C
LD 7.9 C

We have no choice but to trust the scouting staff. I just hope they do not try to outsmart the rest of the league. Pick your guy and tell us how proud you are to select him

Old
04-25-2014, 09:24 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I wish Robby Fabbri was bigger.

The more I watch Guelph, the more I think he's going to be a steal.

Elite hands, great skater, great vision, top-end shot and passing, a non-stop motor and pretty good defensively too.

Unfortunately he's only listed at 5'10'' 165lbs.
Isn't this similar to what Bennett is?

Old
04-25-2014, 09:28 PM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Isn't this similar to what Bennett is?
Pretty much.

Bennett has the size(3" 15lb difference), nastiness and better defense.

Fabbri has the better hands.

Closed Thread