HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Connor Crisp and Daniel Carr

Old
04-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why are everybody so darn high on Vail?
Vail has good size and is incredibly versatile. He's not blowing the doors of anyone but he can play literally any position on the ice besides goaltending and has throughout his OHL career.

I guess they just don't think his game is going to convert to the pro ranks or they would have put him on the 50 man roster.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Power Man
Grrrr

vCash: 500
We signed a crisp car?

Wtf

Power Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:27 PM
CanadianSharks

Great for Crisp. I remember everyone being so upset about "wasting" our precious 3rd round pick on him, but he had a great season. I think Crisp might have a future in the bottom 6, but it remains to be seen if he continues along this upward trajectory. Never heard of Carr.

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Love the Carr signing. Didn't think we'd get him. Good all-situation guy. Was fun to watch on the Union team.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:56 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
So what is the real picture?
I don't know...

On one hand we have a voting committee who thought he was the best defensive forward in the league and on the other, we have a HFboards poster who doesn't think he is good defensively.

I really don't know who to believe..

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:45 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I don't know...

On one hand we have a voting committee who thought he was the best defensive forward in the league and on the other, we have a HFboards poster who doesn't think he is good defensively.

I really don't know who to believe..
I wouldn't dismiss the report of someone who have seen him play a lot. But from him saying he wasn't the best on his line to the best in the leagueit's a bit puzzling.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:28 PM
TooMuchMan

Saw Carr a good bit at B's Dev Camp a few years ago and had a chance to talk to him and then-Union teammate Wayne Simpson. Carr's a good kid. Liked his north-south game. Don't see him having a really high ceiling but certainly a guy who if he develops appropriately can contribute at the next level.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:20 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I thought Vail was a good prospect??

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:41 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
Scouting Report

Here are the full scouting reports for Daniel Carr and Connor Crisp from Top Shelf Prospects. Just to give Habs fans a bit more perspective on what these signings mean.

Full reports: http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/...-connor-crisp/

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:20 AM
IcemanTBI

Glad to see Crisp signed. I have seen him play in the OHL. He has alot of potential. He is big, strong and good around the net.. has a knack of getting the rebounds and potting the ugly goals.

I remember I was the only one on here happy that we drafted him. Glad he has joined the club!

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:29 AM
NobleSix
I usually post drunk

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I thought Vail was a good prospect??
He is. If habs don't sign him, i'll be a bit confused to say the least. I find it hard to imagine the habs wouldn't sign him, unless he wants nothing to do with Montreal.

NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:40 AM
HabsFanInTO
HabsFanInBC Now

Carr

Saw Carr play a few games in Powell River (BCHL) before he headed to Union. Racked up 27 pts in 22 games here.

HabsFanInTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Joe Meloni ‏@JoeMeloni 49 min
@MikeObrand Great two-way forward. Led national title team in scoring and voted best D forward in his league.

I guess that seals it, Vail won't be signed.

Hmm... that tweet seems to conflict with tpinheiro's scouting report. Interesting signing.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:22 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post
He is. If habs don't sign him, i'll be a bit confused to say the least. I find it hard to imagine the habs wouldn't sign him, unless he wants nothing to do with Montreal.
Something happened at training camp, and correct me if I'm wrong but I remember seeing many tweets about him being invisible and not impressing MB. He did have a solid year but maybe there's more to this than what we know

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Smokey Thompson

There was an interview with Carr yesterday and the interviewer asked why he chose the Habs. He answered with something like "there's strong leadership at the helm" and that he spoke to other players who told him the same thing.

That's honestly something we haven't heard in over a decade. Molson and Bergy are on their way to making this a respectable and upper echelon organization.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Something happened at training camp, and correct me if I'm wrong but I remember seeing many tweets about him being invisible and not impressing MB. He did have a solid year but maybe there's more to this than what we know
Vail had a terrible camp and did not earn an invite to main camp. At the time it was seen as a big message to him. Clearly the team is/was not sold on him.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:40 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
I don't see why MB would sit on initial assessment if a player turns his effort around and proves him wrong in the long run. He doesn't strikes me as the sort of man who would let his ego stand in the way of getting the best players.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
HCH

There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions about Vail here. The team still has a month in which to sign him and Thrower. Whose to say talks aren't ongoing. We already know Bergevin doesn't negotiate in the press so almost all of the comments made are pure speculation.

As for room on the 50 man roster, if the Habs think he is a legitimate prospect they will find room.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:48 AM
No Team Needed

I like Vail a lot. Third/fourth line center potential and has had experience playing defence. Just a very reliable player. If he isn't sticking, there's gonna be a good reason for it.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions about Vail here. The team still has a month in which to sign him and Thrower. Whose to say talks aren't ongoing. We already know Bergevin doesn't negotiate in the press so almost all of the comments made are pure speculation.

As for room on the 50 man roster, if the Habs think he is a legitimate prospect they will find room.
Agreed, if they want to sign Vail there is still lots of room on the 50 contract list. Same for Sorkin and Thrower.

The way Condon is playing they may let Mayer walk(mutual buyout) as well as Dubnyk Delmas St.Pierre Tarnasky Blunden Czarnik. Drewiske could also be bought out if room is needed.

I would hope if they plan NOT to sign one or both that they trade their rights for 2014 picks, maybe add a few mid rounders(3rd to 5th).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I like Vail a lot. Third/fourth line center potential and has had experience playing defence. Just a very reliable player. If he isn't sticking, there's gonna be a good reason for it.
If they don't sign him, as I said in another thread earlier, it would be because there is something off ice they don't like or they feel he wants too big a contract. Teams always make room for a 6'1" 2 way center who was top 20 in OHL scoring.

Thrower, given the big improvement in his play he should be even more of a no brainer, as long as everything checks out medically.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If they don't sign him, as I said in another thread earlier, it would be because there is something off ice they don't like or they feel he wants too big a contract. Teams always make room for a 6'1" 2 way center who was top 20 in OHL scoring.

Thrower, given the big improvement in his play he should be even more of a no brainer, as long as everything checks out medically.
I can't recall whether it was the US under 18, under 19 or both but didn't Vail get sent home pretty early from that as well? It seems that Vail hasn't really impressed much outside the OHL, and it doesn't seem like his latest stint in Hamilton changed anyone's opinion. I also seem to recall him saying in an interview that he wanted to show Habs management that he deserved a contract or something similar, and it doesn't seem like he did that.

Either way, I wouldn't rush to the conclusion that his issues are off-ice related as it is possible that the Habs just don't see him being an impact player at the NHL or even AHL level.

Really hope they get Thrower signed though. Will feel alot better about letting Vail go.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Halifaxhab*

I really feel Thrower earned a contract, not to mention, there is never enough blueline depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I can't recall whether it was the US under 18, under 19 or both but didn't Vail get sent home pretty early from that as well? It seems that Vail hasn't really impressed much outside the OHL, and it doesn't seem like his latest stint in Hamilton changed anyone's opinion. I also seem to recall him saying in an interview that he wanted to show Habs management that he deserved a contract or something similar, and it doesn't seem like he did that.

Either way, I wouldn't rush to the conclusion that his issues are off-ice related as it is possible that the Habs just don't see him being an impact player at the NHL or even AHL level.

Really hope they get Thrower signed though. Will feel alot better about letting Vail go.
it is about KARAKTER

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:01 PM
ChoseLa

I thought Erik Nystrom played better than Vail in his short time in Hamilton, i hope he gets a contract too.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Crisp before Vail scare me.... That would be such a waste to not sign Vail!
How did he look with the Dogs in the few games he played?

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote