HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign Connor Crisp and Daniel Carr

Old
04-25-2014, 11:44 AM
RC51

vCash: 500
How would you like it if Crisp only turned out to be a BIGGER,STRONGER,MEANER and a 10 goal guy like WEISE.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If they don't sign him, as I said in another thread earlier, it would be because there is something off ice they don't like or they feel he wants too big a contract. Teams always make room for a 6'1" 2 way center who was top 20 in OHL scoring.

Thrower, given the big improvement in his play he should be even more of a no brainer, as long as everything checks out medically.
He gets an ELC, there's little to negotiate.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
How would you like it if Crisp only turned out to be a BIGGER,STRONGER,MEANER and a 10 goal guy like WEISE.
Just fine actually.

We are kind of short on those types of prospects that will be ready soon.

We have scorers coming up in the pipeline.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Huge speed difference there though..

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I thought Erik Nystrom played better than Vail in his short time in Hamilton, i hope he gets a contract too.

Nystrom has already signed in Sweden

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Tim Wallach

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not 100% sold on Vail, having watched him a LOT in the last three seasons.

I like a lot of what he brings, but I see big red flags. In fact, I see a fair bit of Leblanc in him. Is he worth a contract? Perhaps, but I think he's far from a sure thing.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
"Only"? That's probably a pretty realistic expectation of a guy with very limited offensive upside picked in the third round. Why would you expect him to be significantly more than that?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If I'm not mistaken Carr played really well in the playoffs.
Carr played really well all year. lol

borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
Carr played really well all year. lol
I just added it since elite prospects didn't have the stats readily available for people to read and make a determination that way.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 04:44 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Nystrom has already signed in Sweden
Does that prevent him from signing a ELC? I thought we did that with Nygren.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
A few scouting Reports. Looks like he has won the NCAA championship, good stuff.

`` Daniel Carr, LW, Union (6’0″ 194 lbs): The 22-year-old left winger has put up 108 points over three seasons playing playing on the Dutchmen top line. Union has lost a ton of offensive firepower after last season, but taking his game to the next level, Carr hasn’t missed a beat with 17 goals and 36 points in 31 games. Carr is a sniper with an excellent wrist shot and one timer. He’s got decent skating, which is aided by his good positioning and hockey sense. Carr finds holes in the defence and sets up where he can unleash his accurate and powerful shot. He also has decent vision and playmaking skill for a winger. He has attended NHL prospect camps the last two summers, and should sign with someone shortly after the end of his senior season.``

`` Carr recently completed his senior season with the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Union College Dutchmen, leading the team in scoring en route to an NCAA Division I national championship. In 39 games with Union, the Sherwood Park, Alberta native recorded 50 points (22 goals, 28 assists) and 28 penalty minutes. In 160 career games with the Dutchmen from 2010 to 2014, the 6’0”, 195-pound forward recorded 157 points (78 goals, 79 assists) and 112 penalty minutes. ``
For those that recall Timmins pick Colin Sullivan grew up in the vicinity, a real workout fanatic, growing up around the Union College program and probably watching their workouts & practices. Habs scouts working hard at building their own great program.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Gotta say, I don't understand why some people correlate these signings to the Vail case in any way? I mean, unless you show me that these put us at 49 contracts or whatever, which I'm not seeing.

Happy to see these signings, but I think it would be pretty much independent of anything related to Vail...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:51 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
Glad to see Crisp signed. I have seen him play in the OHL. He has alot of potential. He is big, strong and good around the net.. has a knack of getting the rebounds and potting the ugly goals.

I remember I was the only one on here happy that we drafted him. Glad he has joined the club!
No you werent. I was happy as hell to see Crisp drafted by the Habs. But the prevailing sentiment was definitely not in his favor on this board.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:56 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Agreed, if they want to sign Vail there is still lots of room on the 50 contract list. Same for Sorkin and Thrower.

The way Condon is playing they may let Mayer walk(mutual buyout) as well as Dubnyk Delmas St.Pierre Tarnasky Blunden Czarnik. Drewiske could also be bought out if room is needed.

I would hope if they plan NOT to sign one or both that they trade their rights for 2014 picks, maybe add a few mid rounders(3rd to 5th).
Sorkin needs to be signed. PPG from a 6'3" LW. That position is definitely a need for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Just fine actually.

We are kind of short on those types of prospects that will be ready soon.

We have scorers coming up in the pipeline.
Agree.

That is how you win Cups. Speed, skill and physicality in a nice mixture of all of them.

Crisp and Weise on a line together with White would look pretty damn great.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Hugo Sham

like i said on draft day, i like the McCarron and Crisp picks. Sure they're projects, but we are loaded with hudon, andrighetto, reway, bozon -- all kinds of undersized skill guys...it was good we drafted some beef and even better that we got DLR - who seems to be a mix of both

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Spearmint Rhino

Was happy with the draft pick and even pleasantly surprised with Crisp's highlight vid, he has more skill than advertised - won't be confused with Chucky anytime soon but he's a step above guys like Moen. He'll need to work on his defensive play to be a good bottom 6 player in the NHL

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:27 PM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Quote:
I'm expecting exactly that to be honest, both were drafted around same position?

Remember this place going ape sht last year when he was drafted? I didn't really know anyone outside of the top 35 or so he was a surprise to me anyways, but some people here were pissed. In a way they must feel the best about this, their surefire bust is starting to prove he is on the way to anything but.

Or the organization is just obsessed with his size at that age

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Mr. Hab

Go Connor Crisp Go!!!!

Connor is already training very hard (apparently like a machine!) with AARON DOWNEY

If he keeps getting ready (working hard) the way he has been...our Habs have a very bright future in Connor Crisp.

Can't wait to see Connor in a Hab jersey
(so glad Connor wasn't drafted by the Bruins or Leafs!!).

Connor Crisp (what a name!) and McCarron and De La Rose in Hab jerseys...*salivating*.

p.s.: welcome to Carr...still have to read up on Carr...but I trust our/Hab scouting...must be a good one. So...go Carr go!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-26-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Go Connor Crisp Go!!!!

Connor is already training very hard (apparently like a machine!) with AARON DOWNEY
With Aaron Downey....geez, that would mean some interesting fights coming....

Unless that's the training he's getting...that's more like it...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Gotta say, I don't understand why some people correlate these signings to the Vail case in any way? I mean, unless you show me that these put us at 49 contracts or whatever, which I'm not seeing.

Happy to see these signings, but I think it would be pretty much independent of anything related to Vail...
IMO it's because of a rumour earlier in the season that the Habs may not sign him. The longer he goes unsigned, the more that rumour appears accurate.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Kenny Powders

Connor Crisp just got a surgery done to his Shoulder per his twitter account. I doubt he will ge much done this off season which sucks a bit

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

We are at 37 right now. Guys that remains to be seen that will most likely get a contract:

Pateryn
Markov
Subban
Eller
Weise

But then, out of Vanek, Gionta, Bouillon, Murray, Weaver, Parros, White, Leblanc, Naatinen, Blunden, St-Pierre and Tarnasky....you will surely have at least 3 or 4 guys in there whether it's for the Habs or Habs/Dogs. And then, you still need to sign Thrower which they WILL sign.

I think that the guys who are surely out are:

Cichy
Nystrom
Parros
Dubnyk
Delmas
Czarnik

And there will be other in the list I mentioned before. But right now, you have almost 42 you can say that you are almost certain (including Markov). At least another 3 or 4 in the list I made of maybe's. So let say 45....add Thrower in there. The most pessimistic scenario sees the list at 46. And frankly, in the list I made, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 3 of 4 on that list coming back....we could see Vanek AND Gionta at a reduced price, AND Murray and Weaver and White and Leblanc and Blunden and St-Pierre....Just like that you reach your limit.

So no, you are right. We are not at 50 already. And there's some space in there. But you see how it started at the Habs camp....you saw how it was at the US camp. You hear that report 1 month ago that the news is that Vail is NOT going to be signed. You see Crisp and Carr being signed and no news on Vail.....not too far fetched to think that this is all but done.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I dunno, I don't have any insight in any of this, but I just think it would be "weird" to not sign Vail. I only watch him play in junior and know nothing about him other than that. But unless he's asking for ridiculous 1st round money, I can't see how he wouldn't be an auto-signing, basically. He's as good as most of the guys we auto-sign.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 08:48 PM
The Dream
Embiid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Hmm... that tweet seems to conflict with tpinheiro's scouting report. Interesting signing.
Well, good thing I am not a scout then.

All I was really saying is I don't think he will be all that great in a shutdown role. He needs to have a line with a good transition game, to make himself effective. A ton of goals he got this year was when he was trailing the play on rushes. Maybe if you guys get really lucky he could develop in too a Matt Read type player, who is not as good defensively but is better on the PP.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I dunno, I don't have any insight in any of this, but I just think it would be "weird" to not sign Vail. I only watch him play in junior and know nothing about him other than that. But unless he's asking for ridiculous 1st round money, I can't see how he wouldn't be an auto-signing, basically. He's as good as most of the guys we auto-sign.
That's why a lot of people keep bringing it up every time draftees like Crisp who aren't close to requiring a contract to remain with the organization are signed. Crisp in particular joined the Dogs at same time as Vail this season. His contract should be straight forward, there's a lock on how much each round drafted player can get as an ELC if I'm not mistaken.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote