HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The NEW Official MMA Thread (Pride and UFC etc)

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Hey, at least Diego finally beat the crap outta that blanket!
That he did. Too bad he couldn't finish him off though.

Old
10-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Great all around night I'd say.

Good to see Leben win, but I was more happy to see Koscheck lose in such a turn of events. I was just through telling my roomate how they keep feeding TUF fighters C-level fighters when "WHAM!" Fickett brought up that knee. Awesome stuff!

Hated the Tanner/Loiseau match. I'm starting to not like Loiseau altogether. I mean, honestly, winning via cut from elbow strikes is one of the cheapest ways to win. UFC really needs to consider outlawing elbows the way Pride does. Tanner completely dominated every aspect of that fight until Crow started razoring down those elbows. BOOOOOOO! Tanner looked really determined from the get go though, too bad he'll end up with an L on his record.

TUF2 was decent today. Matt Hughes really is a hard *** in every aspect of life though. No wonder he's so dominant in the octagon with his level of competetiveness. Looks like it's Rich's turn to lose a fighter now. Wouldn't it be funny if it was Rashad. Anyways, Seth looked really good with his kicks, but both fighters sat on their hands too much and failed to follow up good combinations.

Old
10-04-2005, 12:12 AM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
Some good fights tonite on Spike but the first two were outstanding, I was surprised in the first, I thought Koschek had it but he got popped and DAMN, I dont think he even knew what was goin on from that kick before he got choked out...the fight on the show...sucked as usual...except for when dude got kicked in the nuts twice

Old
10-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveHabs
Some good fights tonite on Spike but the first two were outstanding, I was surprised in the first, I thought Koschek had it but he got popped and DAMN, I dont think he even knew what was goin on from that kick before he got choked out...the fight on the show...sucked as usual...except for when dude got kicked in the nuts twice
Yeah, I'm still waiting for a quality fight on TUF2. For the record, I don't think Gurgel/Von Flue was THAT great.

I got really excited when it looked like it was going to be Jardine/Whitehead. One of those two fighters will win the HW division IMO.

Old
10-04-2005, 12:33 AM
MassiveHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Yeah, I'm still waiting for a quality fight on TUF2. For the record, I don't think Gurgel/Von Flue was THAT great.

I got really excited when it looked like it was going to be Jardine/Whitehead. One of those two fighters will win the HW division IMO.

Yup, the gurgel/von flue fight I agree, they threw lots o punches but nothin really looked like it had a lot of head behind it...I dunno, Im hopin they are just weeding out the ****** fighters

Old
10-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

What a crazy night. First the Blanket pretty much got KO'ed ( I know I know, he was choked out) then Leben wins via submission. Who honestly thought that Koshcheck was going to be the first TUF guy to lose? And Sam doesn't really count since he fought Bonnar.

I liked Loiseau until tonight. When he cut Tanner, then pointed at him to try and get Big John to stop the fight, I lost all respect for him. You don't try to win by cut stoppage. That's a load of crap, and I almost want UFC to get rid of elbows now because I see why Pride doesn't have them. I've never seen someone who was proud to win a fight because they landed a few elbows and then scoring a few cuts. That isn't a win, and I think those should be considered no contests.

For TUF, it was more of the same. Matt pushes his guys really hard, Rich keeps on NOT coaching, and then we have one of the fighters lose a fight that looks like he didn't want to win in the first place. Let's hope Mr. F-bomb Dana White's speech next week can light a fire under some of these guys.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about Matt's coaching style? Personally I think it's great. These guys want to be champions in the UFC, so they should train like a UFC champion, and if they can't hack it, then they should pack it up and call it a career.

Old
10-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
What a crazy night. First the Blanket pretty much got KO'ed ( I know I know, he was choked out) then Leben wins via submission. Who honestly thought that Koshcheck was going to be the first TUF guy to lose? And Sam doesn't really count since he fought Bonnar.

I liked Loiseau until tonight. When he cut Tanner, then pointed at him to try and get Big John to stop the fight, I lost all respect for him. You don't try to win by cut stoppage. That's a load of crap, and I almost want UFC to get rid of elbows now because I see why Pride doesn't have them. I've never seen someone who was proud to win a fight because they landed a few elbows and then scoring a few cuts. That isn't a win, and I think those should be considered no contests.

For TUF, it was more of the same. Matt pushes his guys really hard, Rich keeps on NOT coaching, and then we have one of the fighters lose a fight that looks like he didn't want to win in the first place. Let's hope Mr. F-bomb Dana White's speech next week can light a fire under some of these guys.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about Matt's coaching style? Personally I think it's great. These guys want to be champions in the UFC, so they should train like a UFC champion, and if they can't hack it, then they should pack it up and call it a career.
It's not that I don't respect Loiseau for winning within the rules of the game, but it's a crap win nonetheless. Evan Tanner was Mr. Elbow for a long time, so I'd feel the same way if it were him winning the fight via elbows as well. Loiseau is obviously more talented than most others in throwing the elbows, but elbows are easier to throw than punches, and as we already said, a cheap way to get a victory. Bas Rutten commented on UFC allowing elbows in an interview and he was spot on when he said "No one even gets knocked out from an elbow. And do you think they'd ever stop a street fight from a cut? I know I wouldn't quit." The man has spoken.

I don't know that I love Matt's coaching style, but I don't know that I hate it. It certainly will do them all good in the end, and as he said tonight, he isn't doing to them things that he wouldn't do himself. What I don't like is Matt's 'woman-like' gruges that he seems to create when he doesn't like a guy at first impresssion. I felt really bad for Jason after he got no love from Matt or his team after his loss. It seems like he's a guy who has a lot of drive to make it in the sport, and only wanted Matt's help. Seems like Rich is a better fit for him anyways. All in all, I don't think Matt's coaching techniques are as bad as some perceive them to be, however they are a huge contrast from Rich's laid back approach. To each their own; both are successful coaches nonetheless.

Old
10-04-2005, 03:28 AM
QuickDynamite

Awesome night of fights MMA tonight. This was a pretty groundbreaking day with UFC going head to head against WWE.

Kind of disapointed to see Koscheck lose the fight after totally dominating pretty much the entire match. He's got the attitude of a champion though, i'm sure he'll bounce back. I liked Fickett's celebration after the fight though, grabbing one of his trainers and throwing elbows at him. Pretty funny.

Vera looked pretty impressive. Had some really dangerous stikes, what's with calling out Chuck already? I haven't even seen the guy fight until tonight and he's already calling out Chuck? I'd love to see Liddell beat this guy into a bloody pulp.

Good to see Lebel win. Can't say I'm a big fan of his, but I like to see TUF guys win. And winning by submission of all things? LOL

Loiseau looked good tonight. His stikes are just dangerous. I gotta agree with everyone here, pointing out to the ref a guys cut is just a pathetic way to win a fight. You'd think being Canadian I would be a homer and cheer on Louiseau to win, but in reality I was pulling for Tanner the entire time.

As far as TUF, I felt pretty bad for Von Flue. He went out, put out everything he had, and got no respect for his fellow teammates of even his own coach. He was a total underdog, a replacement and beat the guy who was the favourite to win. Pretty smart strategy for Hughes to give up Von Flue to Team Franklin after a brutal fight and after just getting 40 stiches.

I love Hughes (one of my favourite fighters), but I was pretty disapointed with the lack of respect he was giving Von Flue. I'm happy he was moved over to Team Franklin, they should give him some respect he deserves. Funny seeing him flip the bird to Hughes after being moved. Franklin better hope his team wins the Welterweight challenge, or I could see Cummo or Stevenson going after Von Flue next week.

Hughes sure is a hard *** of a coach. Granted, you gotta be a hard *** coach if you want your students to suceed and win. But these guys must hate having Hughes as a coach.

Pretty good fight tonight. Petruzelli looked pretty deadly tonight, he was just picking apart Christison at every opportunity. Poor guy took two hard low blows, OUCH! What about that kick he pulled? It was like a jumping roundhouse kick to Christinson's head. That was just a thing of beauty. I'm betting Hughes wasn't a big fan of Christison, he looked pretty fatigued throughout the fight. Probably why he picked him.

Petruzelli looks pretty undersized compared to the other Heavyweights. But his strikes are awesome. I didn't see anything next week's preview, but i'm guessing Hughes will get a Heavyweight from Team Franklin?

BTW, I was watching TNA wrestling after TUF. And Tito Ortiz was there, I guess an overrated MMA fighter has to get a job somewhere.

Old
10-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

I didn't say I lost respect for Loiseau because he won via cut by elbows. I said I lost respect for him because instead of just fighting, he looked and John and pointed at Tanner's cuts. You fight until the fight is over, not until you see you can win by a technicality.

As for Jason not getting any "love" from his team after the win, you can chalk that up to two things: 1. Editing and 2. Matt Hughes playing up his "bad guy" image to make the shows watchable. Do you honestly think he would sit there and talk about his current game of solitaire right after a fight? The producers saw the show wasn't shaping up very well, so they gave Matt some "encouragement" to spice things up a bit.

Old
10-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Shamrock vs. Sakuraba confirmed.

I wonder what weight they'll meet at.

Sakuraba can't hit 205 (although he competes in it) and has majors issues with 205'ers. Shamrock usually walks around 230 (though cutting to 205 isn't that hard; he did it vs. Franklin).

So 205 I guess...

Old
10-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Why won't Shamrock just hang up the boots already. Is he hurting for money that badly?

Old
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I'm not getting tonight's fight, but here's my calls.

Arlovski - TKO rd. 1
Griffin - Sub rd. 2
Babalu - Sub rd. 1
Riggs - Dec.
Hinkle - TKO rd. 2
Hallman - Sub rd. 2

I don't know any of the guys in the other two fights.

Last edited by Ensane: 10-07-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old
10-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

I'm not getting tonights PPV either. The card just isn't worth 30 bucks.

Plus, I'll probably be getting trashed for the big game tomorrow. All you better be watching and cheering on JoePa and the Nittany Lions. Ohio State doesn't stand a chance.

Here's some extra incentive:

The game is a white out, like with the Jets/Yotes in the playoofs, everyone will be wearing white t-shirts. Add in the fact that it's supposed to rain a lot tomorrow............well, I'll let you do the math.

Old
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
My friend is gettin it...I wasn't sure to go or not (not a big UFC fan) but I think I might just to watch Arlovski (damn good fighter). But then again...Sharks game tonight.

10-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

LOL

I didn't see it (gotta find the footage though!) but apparently Arlovski Ko'd Buentello in 15 seconds.

Good thing he grew his beard out.

Old
10-09-2005, 08:21 PM
MassiveHabs

Videos for UFC 55?

Anybody find anywhere to see the replay or clips?

Old
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

I'm probably going to disappear from this thread for a while as I wait for the PPV to be uploaded to a certain site. I'm actually trying hard not to read any results before I watch it.

Old
10-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I'm downloading it from a torrent site right now.

I know all the results though, I just want to see how some of the fights finished.

Old
10-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Finally uploaded on my favorite torrent site, and I just watched it.

Ron Faircloth vs. Alessio Sakara

No contest due to a groin kick by Faircloth in the very beginning of the second round. Looked pretty bad because Sakara was dry heaving in the ring and was taken to the hospital.

Now, the first round was great. Sakara totally dominated. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say that his hand speed was very Belfort-esque

Keigo Kunihara vs. Marcio Cruz
Don't think they showed this fight, just the highlights. It was won by a sloppy looking RNC.

Dennis Hallman vs. Jorge Rivera

Hallman was destroyed. But he almost surprised Rivera with a heelhook at the very end of the fight, but couldn't quite get it and time ran out. He looked really really gassed by the end of the first as well.

Chael Sonnen vs. Renato Sobral

Babalu looked really good, and the fight was slighty in his favor the whole time. Sonnen was really good while in guard, but then got sloppy and almost got caught in a triangle. He escaped, only to immediately throw a punch and get caught in a triangle for good.

Joe Riggs vs. Chris Lytle
Riggs is a beast. To drop from 300+ pounds down to 170 is incredible. He's in great shape, and he was just too strong for Lytle.

Elvis Sinosic vs. Forrest Griffin

I thought Griffin was overmatched in this one, but he proved me wrong. Just stood there and brawled. Took a pretty good beating for while, then hit Elvis right on the button and he dropped. I thought it was stopped too quickly, but Forrest had him in the spot to finish him off soon after anyways.

Branden Lee Hinkle vs. Sean Gannon

Total publicity stunt here. Two UFC new comers, but Gannon had no business being in the ring. Ony reason he was brought in was because he's that cop that took part in the underground fight against Kimbo Slice that was broadcast online.

His strength was pretty impressive though. He was caught in 4 or 5 kimuras, and was so strong that he just pulled his arm right out of it like he was armwrestling.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Paul Buentello

Wow wow wow! Really all you can say about the Pitbull. What a punch!!! At first, you couldn't see it. It looked like Arlovski punched him the went for the takedown, then Big John stopped it before he could do anything. The crowed started booing because they thought it was yet another terrible early stoppage by the UFC. Then they showed the replay and the crowd's opinion quickly changed. the punch knocked out Buentello (or Bunotello or Benotello as all the other fighters kept calling him) and he just folded over at the waist and his arms went limp at his side. If Arlovski wasn't under him, he would've fell flat on his face. You could see he was out cold when he hit the mat.

Not a big card, but good, entertaining fights from top to bottom, and despite not having any big name matches, it would've been worth the purchase.

Old
10-12-2005, 03:48 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I agree with all you said essentially, although I fully expected Forrest to demolish Sinosec.

That night Babalu reaffirmed my stance that not only is he the best defensive grappler, but he's the most underrated 205 in the world.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Until Forrest got that one punch that dropped Elvis, I thought he was getting worked pretty badly.

And I'd like to see Babalu take on Liddell again. What other LHW would be up for a title shot? Griffin? Couture part 3?

Old
10-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Until Forrest got that one punch that dropped Elvis, I thought he was getting worked pretty badly.

And I'd like to see Babalu take on Liddell again. What other LHW would be up for a title shot? Griffin? Couture part 3?
I heard Couture/Liddell 3 is imminent in early 06. Forrest and Babalu should fight to get the winner IMO.

Sinosec was certainly winning on points until he got dropped, but it'd take a lot more than what he threw at Forrest to knock him down/out. Forrest has a great chin and he's a savage; it's almost like he wants guys to hit him. Sinosec doesn't really have that kind of pure knockout power to get a KO victory over Forrest, so I had little doubt the tables would turn.

Old
10-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Couture/Liddell 3 should be interesting. I'd like to see how Couture would do this time around without getting poked in the eye.

I'm kind of hoping Liddell wins, and calls out Silva again because Chuck is no kid and he only has a few years left at the top. I think he's at his prime right now (never thought I'd say that about a 35 year old ). If he ever stands a chance at beating the Pride champion, it's now or never.

Old
10-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Finally watched Bushido. Not really in the talkative mood right now after our heartbreaking loss to Michigan, so I'll just keep it to a few points.

Minowa is boring, and I hope they fight again so Baroni can beat his face in.

Baroni needs to learn how to fight on the ground.

Coleman is a roided up moron.

I don't like two round fights.

And last but definitely not least:

Gomi is one of my favorite fighters now after seeing him fight for the first time.

Old
10-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Amorphis

In case you didn't know, a Beyond the Glory on the UFC will be on today at 6:00. I'll be watching the Pats game, but the replay the show again at 1:00 am. There will also be a new Pride show on tonight at 9:00 on FSN.

Closed Thread