HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft - Panthers Edition [Part II]

Old
04-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Interesting take, and one I can support. I have held the opinion throughout the year that Ekblad is not worth #1.

Panthers fans, please take a look at my recent article Why the Panthers May Go Against Consensus, Again

Old
04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
iam76

if we call his name i would do nothing but smile... it could blow up in our face but i would have 0 issues drafting him...

Also though i almost feel drafting him would be a signal that we can't get free agents to sign here either due to money or just exposure.

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
EnforceTheLaus
Dave Tallon

Been astounded watching him play. Though he's two years away.

Ehlers would be one if we drafted to take the lumps of people laughing at the pick for 2 years then turning to "whoa where did this kid come from!."

Ultimately I have him going as high as 6 but hopefully whoever drafts him lets him develop. Ultimately the biggest question is if he can maintain his speed and game at 190-210lbs.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
One thing I'd like to dispute now in the article:
Quote:
Mike Matheson is likely to make the leap from college into the Panthers dressing room next season, and Tallon is on the record saying Halifax Mooseheads defenseman Mackenzie Weegar will quarterback the Panthers power play for years to come.
I SERIOUSLY doubt that Matheson makes the leap from college to the NHL next season. Maybe from college to the AHL but not straight to the NHL...no way, he's not ready for that. Tallon saying that about Weegar doesnt mean he's going to be a top 4 d-man, either. I think Tallon has already back-pedaled a little from that statement too about Weegar.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:55 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
I have heard a few people saying they're willing to trade down to get him, but after learning more about him, trading down to pick him.... that approach really doesn't sit right with me.

Do you trade down to pick Patrick Kane? Do you trade down to pick MacKinnon? Do you trade down to draft Drouin?

Why not?

I know this sounds crazy, because he's not even projected to go top ten in a ton of rankings, (if only he was a good old Canadian boy ) but his speed, game and numbers are comparable to all of them.
Finally someone knows how to put down the hockey news

I'm totally in for trading to Buf or EDM for something AND Ehlers!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:56 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I SERIOUSLY doubt that Matheson makes the leap from college to the NHL next season. Maybe from college to the AHL but not straight to the NHL...no way, he's not ready for that. Tallon saying that about Weegar doesnt mean he's going to be a top 4 d-man, either. I think Tallon has already back-pedaled a little from that statement too about Weegar.
We'll see, some guys can do it. I don't know enough about their constant mannerisms to seriously dispute it..do you honestly?

Old
04-25-2014, 02:59 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
Interesting take, and one I can support. I have held the opinion throughout the year that Ekblad is not worth #1.

Panthers fans, please take a look at my recent article Why the Panthers May Go Against Consensus, Again
Cool, most might generally agree.

I'm still ok with being stuck with Ekblad if not Ehlers.

Old
04-25-2014, 03:27 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 61
Quote:
I don't think he will draft him at number 1. Did I write that or did you?

Thanks for implying I'm on drugs. Great comment.
If you can't take a critical comment, don't plug your stuff on our board

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:29 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
C'mon man. He didn't even state that we will draft him. Constructive criticism is much better than critical criticism. We're all friends here

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
No need for straw man arguments, buddy. I never said Tallon is drafting him.

Last edited by Cats2TheCup: 04-25-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:11 PM
coopdaloop123

Tallon REALLY likes this guy and from everyone I've talked to he is insanely fast and insanely talented ... his size just needs to catch up to the rest of him.

I'd have no problem if the Panthers traded back anywhere from 3-8 for a good piece and then this kid.

Sure, he won't make an impact in the NHL for about 2 years, but Barkov will only be 20/21 then and this could be an amazing combo!

It would be very much a Toews/Kane dynamic, except Ehler is faster than Kane, but doesn't have the same hands.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
We'll see, some guys can do it. I don't know enough about their constant mannerisms to seriously dispute it..do you honestly?
I don't think it matters that much if he can do it. Tallon already said he intends to bring in 2 vet men AND qualify Kulikov, Guds and Olsen. Along with Campbell, that makes 6 d-men already. Not to mention Jovo who's still under contract for now and Robak is on a 1-way deal next year and no longer exempt from waivers. Its a simple numbers game and there's no logical reason to think Matheson makes the jump next season.

Old
04-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
Tallon REALLY likes this guy and from everyone I've talked to he is insanely fast and insanely talented ... his size just needs to catch up to the rest of him.

I'd have no problem if the Panthers traded back anywhere from 3-8 for a good piece and then this kid.

Sure, he won't make an impact in the NHL for about 2 years, but Barkov will only be 20/21 then and this could be an amazing combo!

It would be very much a Toews/Kane dynamic, except Ehler is faster than Kane, but doesn't have the same hands.
I don't mind drafting him in the manner your talking about. Just wanted to point out that Toews and Kane rarely are on the same line except for like the PP. Its fine though as Ehlers could benefit from being next to big boy Bjugstad.

Old
04-25-2014, 05:19 PM
luby3131

The kid is a good player. Fast, skilled, smart, has definite top six potential. If we had a pick outside the top 5 I'd be banging on the table for him. Problem is, we have the #1 pick and a chance to select a defenseman with franchise potential. I just don't see how we pass on Ekblad fro anybody, let alone Ehlers.

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:22 PM
FrolikFan67

matheson will make the jump to the pros but not the nhl, he'll be in the ahl it sounds.

if we draft ekblad, i wonder if kulikov + 32nd + petrovic to carolina would be enough for the 7th (if ehlers is available).

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:55 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
matheson will make the jump to the pros but not the nhl, he'll be in the ahl it sounds.

if we draft ekblad, i wonder if kulikov + 32nd + petrovic to carolina would be enough for the 7th (if ehlers is available).
That'd be insanely overpaying for the 7th overall pick, kuli is a young former 1st rounder and Petro is a former 2nd rounder and the 32nd is basically a late 1st ... it wouldn't take nearly that much

Old
04-25-2014, 05:56 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
I don't mind drafting him in the manner your talking about. Just wanted to point out that Toews and Kane rarely are on the same line except for like the PP. Its fine though as Ehlers could benefit from being next to big boy Bjugstad.
Didn't mean it in that sense, sry, just meant that we'd have that stalwart center / sniper wing that we've always wanted.

Old
04-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
Interesting, really interesting.
Problem is that I also want Ekblad.
Imagine getting both

Hockeycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
That's OK. I dont know either. I said "likely", because a reporter hinted at in Tallons post season interview. Also, when did he retract that statement about Weegar? Because he was just in Halifax a few weeks ago when he said that on camera. The video is at the end of the post. But please provide a source if you can.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:30 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
That's OK. I dont know either. I said "likely", because a reporter hinted at in Tallons post season interview. Also, when did he retract that statement about Weegar? Because he was just in Halifax a few weeks ago when he said that on camera. The video is at the end of the post. But please provide a source if you can.
i just dont see tallon telling his prospects "yeah, i drafted you because of these talents, but i dont expect to have any impact"

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post
Interesting, really interesting.
Problem is that I also want Ekblad.
Imagine getting both
I don't think you can trade down the first pick for Ehlers since there is now way of knowing where he might go. It could be anything from 5 -->

If he is still on the board at 10+ DT could make a trade for the pick. SOmething like KUlikov.

Kellyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
I don't think you can trade down the first pick for Ehlers since there is now way of knowing where he might go. It could be anything from 5 -->

If he is still on the board at 10+ DT could make a trade for the pick. SOmething like KUlikov.
Yeah but with this year's bad UFA crop of d-men I don't see him dealing Kulikov. Who would take his place?
Maybe if we could sign Niskanen and acquire some like Boychuck for prospects +, but still...
Then it'd be:
Campbell - Boychuck/Similar player
Niskanen - Gudbranson
UFA/Petro/Olsen - Ekblad

Hockeycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post
Yeah but with this year's bad UFA crop of d-men I don't see him dealing Kulikov. Who would take his place?
Yeah probably wouldn't happen, just threw in a name. Anyway if Ehlers is on the board after #10 I could see DT making a trade.

Kellyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Aksu

Would love picking Ekblad + Ehlers in the first round.
Ehlers is fast and got skills but why isnt he expected to go in the first 10? His defensive side?

Aksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:31 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
I don't think it matters that much if he can do it. Tallon already said he intends to bring in 2 vet men AND qualify Kulikov, Guds and Olsen. Along with Campbell, that makes 6 d-men already. Not to mention Jovo who's still under contract for now and Robak is on a 1-way deal next year and no longer exempt from waivers. Its a simple numbers game and there's no logical reason to think Matheson makes the jump next season.
Does that hint at Jovo buyout or am I reading wrong? I wouldnt throw away millions of dollars to retire like Kovy did last year.