HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft - Panthers Edition [Part II]

Old
04-25-2014, 10:31 PM
ratmanfu

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
After reading and then watching some additional videos of this kid... yeah, I'm sold on this idea.

It's time to take a risk, and it'd be grand to have a Hertl/McKinnon added to our lineup 2 years from now.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:32 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

how far down could we trade the pick to ensure we would take him? The longer down the list he is there, the higher the return for trading the first overall.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksu View Post
Would love picking Ekblad + Ehlers in the first round.
Ehlers is fast and got skills but why isnt he expected to go in the first 10? His defensive side?
No, his defensive game is surprisingly pretty good. He's one of their best penalty killers, and well known in Halifax to sneak up, steal the puck, and dash into the opposite direction like a mad man.

He leads the league with a +65 in 63 games, so others aren't really scoring so much when he's on the ice.

His biggest knock is his weight, 164lbs, and maybe something else factors into his ranking too

Last edited by Cats2TheCup: 04-25-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
how far down could we trade the pick to ensure we would take him? The longer down the list he is there, the higher the return for trading the first overall.
I like the way you're thinking! Very well put. I really don't know what the other teams are thinking. Maybe 3rd. I hear Buffalo wants a center man and Oilers want Ekblad. 4th may be pushing our luck.

Gotta keep in mind hes in the playoffs right now. If the mooseheads win the championship he could skyrocket to the top and be the sexy new pick in the medias eyes.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:18 PM
FlaPanthers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
I like the way you're thinking! Very well put. I really don't know what the other teams are thinking. Maybe 3rd. I hear Buffalo wants a center man and Oilers want Ekblad. 4th may be pushing our luck.

Gotta keep in mind hes in the playoffs right now. If the mooseheads win the championship he could skyrocket to the top and be the sexy new pick in the medias eyes.
Good last point there.

As of now though, I think 5 is safe and 6 would be pushing it. Right now If we were to trade to say 5 with NYI I see:

NYI - Ekblad
BUF - Reinhart
EDM - Bennett/Draisaitl
CGY - Draisaitl/Bennett
FLA - Ehlers

With Dall Colle still on the board, which is why I think 6th would be pushing it. But again, doubt this happens, just hypothetical.

FlaPanthers11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:54 AM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers11 View Post
Good last point there.

As of now though, I think 5 is safe and 6 would be pushing it. Right now If we were to trade to say 5 with NYI I see:

NYI - Ekblad
BUF - Reinhart
EDM - Bennett/Draisaitl
CGY - Draisaitl/Bennett
FLA - Ehlers

With Dall Colle still on the board, which is why I think 6th would be pushing it. But again, doubt this happens, just hypothetical.
Hmmm...Where are the canucks picking? We have a pretty good relationship with them. If they're 6th or 7th and we can guarantee Ehlers would still be there that would probably our ideal trading partner and as far down as we could push it

Lol, maybe we can get Markstrom and Matthias back

Old
04-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Aksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
Hmmm...Where are the canucks picking? We have a pretty good relationship with them. If they're 6th or 7th and we can guarantee Ehlers would still be there that would probably our ideal trading partner and as far down as we could push it

Lol, maybe we can get Markstrom and Matthias back
Yea we need a good young goalie prospect since we traded our Mark or whatever his name was. This Markstrom kid has a lot of potential!

Aksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 06:12 AM
kelsier

Checked some of his vids from youtube and while they seemed nice I didn't get any kind of wooooaah vibe from'em. Fast & skilled future winger to Barkov's side always is tempting still. Nothing worth of trading down in the draft anyway.

kelsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Good article, Tallon's comments are intriguing. Guess we'll see. Maybe trade down with Edmonton and take him.

04-26-2014, 08:03 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Good article, Tallon's comments are intriguing. Guess we'll see. Maybe trade down with Edmonton and take him.
You don't trade down a potential franchise D-man to a winger no matter how promising if there are question marks (in this case size). You just don't. But thenagain, whoknows if Tallon does.

Old
04-26-2014, 08:07 AM
gudzilla

kuli+ for a top8 pick if he's avaible, i'd do it

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
You don't trade down a potential franchise D-man to a winger no matter how promising if there are question marks (in this case size). You just don't. But thenagain, whoknows if Tallon does.
We're pretty loaded on the bluine and need some offensive help, big time. I'm intrigued because of Tallon's saying he reminds him of Kane, and saying he reached a bit for Patrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
kuli+ for a top8 pick if he's avaible, i'd do it
Kuli's a RFA, though. I'd be surprised if we moved someone that was just re-signed, but who knows. I'd do it.

Where's MR and J17ster?

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 08:51 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We're pretty loaded on the bluine and need some offensive help, big time. I'm intrigued because of Tallon's saying he reminds him of Kane, and saying he reached a bit for Patrick.
Hello! Only because someone says player A reminds about player B doesn't mean that they are the same player. Kane was by no means a reach, he was a clear cut 1st pick of the draft. If Ehlers was on Kane's level he would be drafted 1st (no matter the nationality), especially on a relatively weak draft year as this. You'd be reaching with Ehlers and if it turned out a bust you'd take a huge setback. There are tons of prospects compared to Kane. Nylander, Teraväinen, Ehlers etc etc.

And really, being loaded on the blueline is by no means the same as having clear cut first pair defenders. You need to have a better look at the large scale picture.

Old
04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
gudzilla

Kane was a reach at #1, turris and JVR were the two favourites to go 1OA.

also,

ekblads potential offensive output (50p~ish) is still just 20~p less than the potential output of the sams

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
Hello! Only because someone says player A reminds about player B doesn't mean that they are the same player. Kane was by no means a reach, he was a clear cut 1st pick of the draft. If Ehlers was on Kane's level he would be drafted 1st (no matter the nationality), especially on a relatively weak draft year as this. You'd be reaching with Ehlers and if it turned out a bust you'd take a huge setback. There are tons of prospects compared to Kane. Nylander, Teraväinen, Ehlers etc etc.

And really, being loaded on the blueline is by no means the same as having clear cut first pair defenders. You need to have a better look at the large scale picture.
Relax. I am looking at the overall picture, and I'd be surprised if he's taken first overall ahead of Ekblad and the Sams, was just going on Tallon's comments. 'Potential franchise d-men' bust, too, and most say they take more time to develop. If be more than happy with Ekblad, but I wouldn't be at all upset if we were able to move the pick, take Ehlers, and upgrade somewhere else.

A lot would have to fall into place in order for us to take Ehlers, IMO, but his stock could rise in the playoffs, too.

And it was Tallon who said he took a chance.

Old
04-26-2014, 11:07 AM
ShootIt

I would do Kulikov +#32 to move back into the 1st round.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:30 PM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

Great article, just have one problem with the suggestion to select him with our pick, with a top pick you always look to get an NHL ready player and it seems like he is not nhl ready so I'd rather take Reinhardt or Bennett and put them on the wing

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:31 PM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I would do Kulikov +#32 to move back into the 1st round.
Yea if we could find a taker id like to see a trade like that happen

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Haj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Great article, just have one problem with the suggestion to select him with our pick, with a top pick you always look to get an NHL ready player and it seems like he is not nhl ready so I'd rather take Reinhardt or Bennett and put them on the wing

I respectfully disagree with you here. The Panthers should take whatever player has the highest chance of being a game breaking talent. If they judge Ehlers to be that player over the other prospects, then they should absolutely take him first overall.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Ehlers is not generally ranked in the top 5 because he's boom or bust. He's very talented and exciting but let's face it. He's 165 lbs., if that. He is not a guaranteed player. Ekblad and the Sams are guaranteed players, and likely guaranteed impact players. I believe even Jeff Marek in the Panthers Parkway podcast said while he loves Ehlers he is boom/bust.

I doubt Tallon takes a risk on a player like Ehlers instead of adding to our talent pool with a sure thing like Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett. Including trading down. But who knows. I just see no need. You can grab wingers in free agency. Tallon only drafts Ehlers if he really thinks he can be a 35-40 goal guy, that primary goal scoring weapon. That's a pretty big risk. Otherwise Tallon will have plenty of time to work on his golf game in 3-5 years.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Haj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Ehlers is not generally ranked in the top 5 because he's boom or bust. He's very talented and exciting but let's face it. He's 165 lbs., if that. He is not a guaranteed player. Ekblad and the Sams are guaranteed players, and likely guaranteed impact players. I believe even Jeff Marek in the Panthers Parkway podcast said while he loves Ehlers he is boom/bust.

I doubt Tallon takes a risk on a player like Ehlers instead of adding to our talent pool with a sure thing like Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett. Including trading down. But who knows. I just see no need. You can grab wingers in free agency. Tallon only drafts Ehlers if he really thinks he can be a 35-40 goal guy, that primary goal scoring weapon. That's a pretty big risk. Otherwise Tallon will have plenty of time to work on his golf game in 3-5 years.
I agree with this. Its easier to score goals in the Q than in the other junior leagues. Basically, it comes down to do you think Ehlers goal scoring / hockey sense will translate to the NHL level. I have no idea how you would evaluate this.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Good post, thanks man.

Old
04-26-2014, 02:29 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
I really have no preference who we pick first, but in my opinion, we MUST make the pick. I will feel sick to my stomach if we trade it.

CatscratchFever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 04:42 PM
klabob

Quote:

If the biggest issue with Ehlers is his weight, then you take him because that won't be a factor in a couple of years. He's the best offensive player and the best goal scorer and that's our biggest need.
Saying that the Sams and Ekblad are garanteed players is a far fetched. They are far for from certain to reach their ceilling. It's just that the Sams could be useful on the bottom 6 something that Ehlers couldn't do well. But if you draft them because they could still be useful outside of a top line role if they don't reach their potential then you are drafting them for the wrong reason.

You can grab a winger in free agency, but if Tallon is very high on Niskanen then the need for a offensive dman is not as pressing and you can rool and take an offensive dynamo like Ehlers. If Ekblad is an other Gud, he'll work on his golf game as well.

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Basically, it comes down to do you think Ehlers goal scoring / hockey sense will translate to the NHL level. I have no idea how you would evaluate this.
Absolutely true, and that's a great point. Have to remember though, that goes for every prospect, not just Ehlers. No one ever really knows how scoring, defense or hockey sense will translate at the NHL level beforehand. However one thing that will certainly not get lost in translation is his speed. He's an incredible skater, he'll be one of the fastest in the NHL already upon arrival, and that alone could give him that extra edge to be a valuable asset on our wing and penalty kill if for some reason his scoring touch disappears in the big leagues.

Then again, he's already spent time playing against men, he played with and against NHL players during the lockout, so it's not like he's never experienced elite competition. Hopefully Tallon can grab some footage from those days!

I think comparing his numbers against MacKinnon's are probably as close as we can get at this point when judging how his game will translate at the NHL level because MacKinnon was on the same team, in the same league, with a lot of the same guys and only one year removed (I would have compared his numbers to Drouin, but Drouin hasn't played in the NHL yet).

MacKinnon's extreme tenacity and bigger frame along with his skills are what make him such an impact player in the NHL, but that can't really be quantified. His stats can. Tallon can only work with so much...but on June 27th, in two short months, he's gonna have to pick someone, roll that dice, and hope for the best. Not the safest, but the BEST.

Last edited by Cats2TheCup: 04-26-2014 at 07:52 PM.