HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Importance of Defensive Commitment

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 07:53 PM
RoyIsALegend*

vCash: 500
The Importance of Defensive Commitment

We all know that the Avalanche will likely be in the top three for goals scored this upcoming season. An abundance of weapons, and I don't think anybody is questioning our offense this year.

As always, goaltending is a question. Now, I don't think it's right to go ahead and assume failure with our young duo, but at the same time we must allow room for error in case David Aebischer or Phillipe Sauve do slip. Pierre Lacroix would not hesitate to bring in a quality starting netminder, as he has always addressed our needs at the deadline.

When you look at our defense corps, we have three guys who can be considered above-average in their own zones. Adam Foote, Rob Blake and Karlis Skrastins(from what I've seen and read) are all highly dependable in our own zone, but Blake is also counted on for a significant amount of offense. That leaves basically two rear-guards who think defense first, with Foote having a career year last season(11 G 20 A 31 P +30) and likely to push up at times too.

JM Liles, Derek Morris and Martin Skoula are all considered offense-first defensemen. Therefore...

...considering the *inexperience* of the goaltending and the lack of defensive-minded defensemen, do you feel the Avalanche will have enough of a defensive commitment to be successful?

Thoughts?

Old
10-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I think Granato and Toch really have to hammer it home. It's the only thing that's been stated as a weakness by others. Honestly, I don't think it will be a problem--but then again I'm predicting Aebischer will hold his own. If he can't, obviously the boys in front of him need to step it up a notch given their abilities. I wouldn't mind adding another strong crease clearing stay at home type on the third pairing however to play on the occasional odd game. McAllister IMO isn't sufficient enough in this department.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Yayo

Shawn Heins and Todd Simpsons could have fit that description...

Old
10-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I think this more has to do with coaching than actual talent on the blueline. Tony Granato et al have to put a system in place, and there has to be total buy-in. Not to Hitchcockian restrictions, certainly, but there has to be more commitment shown that what was displayed during the playoffs last season, and even the red-hot latter half of the season, where Roy bailed Colorado out time and time again.

Old
10-03-2003, 10:59 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

As always, goaltending is a question.

Always must have just begun? Perhaps you were thinking of the Canucks when you wrote that comment!

Old
10-03-2003, 11:02 PM
dempsey_k*

It's a wild homeristic guess, but I think if any team can demolish "the trap" it'll be this years Avalanche, and flexibility with defence as offence and offence as defence will be favored instead of sitting back and waiting for it.

Or we could wind up like the New York Rangers ...

Closed Thread