HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #5 | Flyers at Rangers | Sun., Apr. 27, 2014 |12:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2014, 04:10 PM
KrazyKat

vCash: 500
from what ive seen this season

gill : makes good decisions with the puck, always does the safe play and can be a big physical presence and didnt look as slow as i thought.

gustaffson : often does does dumb things with the puck and bad pinches but is a fantastic puck mover and provides lots of offense of the back end.

If you pair Gus with Schenn it evens out as Schenn is a stay at home D who has played tremendous so far in the playoffs. But Schenn also plays very well with Macdonald.

Or you play Gill a veteran with tons of playoff experience with a guy like streit who already has offensive upside, with Gill who is a tad bit better than grossmann.

Berube is playing it safe. Gus would probably be the better player in my opinion but i see what berube see's. I dont think Gus will be traded. I think he will be on the Roster next season.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea that's the difference to be able to carry the play. It's unlikely that happens in the next three games in all honesty. That's why we need jake plus secondary scoring plus dmen to make up for the bums (other than g) that you listed. But the guys that have done work have gotten us to 2-2 with a backup goalie for one win.

I think schenn needs to be better more than anything as Simmonds and vinny aren't going to great anything on their own for that line.
Counting on a 22 yr old when he's playing with a 25 year old 60 pts forward and a future hall of famer is pretty ridiculous but that's where they're at.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:15 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Flyers need to win 1 in NY again to win the series, if they do that I think it's this and not game 7.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:20 PM
MP92

I've got no problem with Gill over Gus. A big, physical defensive dman in Grossmann got hurt. It only makes sense to replace him with a similar (an imo better player) than him. If Mark Streit or Timonen were the ones who got hurt, Gus would have a case for getting in the lineup. Gill is tremendous positionally, can pk and can protect the net better than Gus can who gets over-matched physically in his own zone and is more prone to a make a mistake. People can harp on Gill all they want for being slow, he rarely makes a bad play and has played in many big games throughout his career. Everyone should trust him more than a guy like Gus.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Swic21

I don't agree with the Hal Gill over Gus move at all. The Rangers speed to the outside is giving even Coburn fits. We need speed on the back end. Put Gus with Schenn, AMac with Streit, and Coby and Timonen. That still gives you a offensive and defensive guy on each pairing. Gill is gonna get burned. He is the slowest guy in the league, bar none, and is not what this team needs. I expect Gill to be a minus 2 and take 2 penalties tomorrow. Awful, awful decision by the staff. Gus is by far the better option.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Fast Rags Fwds, start the slowest d man in the NHL over a young pmd. Berubes decisions , if you can believe it, are actually getting worse as this series goes on. Rags Fwds will eat Gill alive.

This organization is going to ruin Ghost, Morin, Alt, Haag , and Gus and will always choose slow , big, and old dmen over young and skilled.
Havana to disagree. Gill is no slower than Grossman and has better hands. He makes quicker decisions with the puck and I think he will fill in nicely.

I like Laughton on the 4th line with Vinny and Hall. Put Raffl on the wing with Schenn and Simmonds.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:39 PM
FlyersFan61290

I'm a big Gus supporter but I'm OK will Gill. I think the real determining factor is that Gill can eat up pk minutes, that's probably when he's at his best. Those minutes will definitely be there too with the void left by Grossmann's injury and the way the Flyers have been getting shafted with bs calls. Gus has killed penalties in the past obviously but Gill definitely has the advantage in that department.

ES will be interesting because Gill is so slow but hopefully he'll be sheltered at ES. Another thing is, the series is essentially a best of three now so they can't afford to have Gus come in with jitters and potentially cost them the game. Gill has loads of experience and is even keeled as a result. Of course that wouldn't have been a problem if Gus was playing all year in place of Mez/Grossmann but whatever.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Any update on Laughton?

Old
04-26-2014, 05:47 PM
AFTeRMaTH
41st-78th-17th-11th

#GIVEMELAUGHTONORGIVEMEDEATH

hashtags

Old
04-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Swic21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Havana to disagree. Gill is no slower than Grossman and has better hands. He makes quicker decisions with the puck and I think he will fill in nicely.

I like Laughton on the 4th line with Vinny and Hall. Put Raffl on the wing with Schenn and Simmonds.
Gill is absolutely 100 percent slower than Grossmann lol. Grossmann isn't that slow he's just dumb. He's not the best skater but he's not that that slow. You will see slow tomorrow at 12pm est. Gill is beyond slow. Worst skater in the league by a long shot.

Old
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Gill is beyond slow. Worst skater in the league by a long shot.
he's not even the worst skater on his own team
ahem [hartnell]

Old
04-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Tankadelphia
Formerly neb45

We all know that gill is super slow, but from what ive seen, he has good positioning and a long reach since hes tall so i think he'll do well

Old
04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
RoDu

Gill knows he is slow too, so hopefully he'll take good angles and such. It is what it is

Old
04-26-2014, 07:36 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Flyers need to win 1 in NY again to win the series, if they do that I think it's this and not game 7.
I dunno. Flyers have proved themselves to be pretty clutch over the past few seasons and the Rags have been chokers.

Old
04-26-2014, 07:38 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Gill is absolutely 100 percent slower than Grossmann lol. Grossmann isn't that slow he's just dumb. He's not the best skater but he's not that that slow. You will see slow tomorrow at 12pm est. Gill is beyond slow. Worst skater in the league by a long shot.
Yeah but Gill plays smart, he rarely gets caught out of position. And he can handle the puck. I'd rather Gill than Grossmann by a longshot.

Old
04-26-2014, 07:44 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Is Gill seriously playing? WTF.

Old
04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

This exact injury is the reason why you get Hal Gill.

Vet, won before, size, reach. Sure he's slow, but can't be much slower than Grossmann.

Old
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The times Gill actually has played, he has actually looked better than Gtossman. But if the plan is to put him with Streit and play 20 minutes, I think that'll be trouble. Not worried about veteran leadership and winning, if that mattered, he wouldn't have been here on a tryout.

Would rather we just go with 7 defensemen though.

Old
04-26-2014, 07:56 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
This exact injury is the reason why you get Hal Gill.

Vet, won before, size, reach. Sure he's slow, but can't be much slower than Grossmann.
Sure he will come in and fill in the pk minutes, but my problem is we have to many big unskilled D as it is. Young and quick D is what's needed to create offense vs team like the Rags. Gus and Luke have proven chemistry , why not add what is a greater need.

Kimmo Coburn
Streit Amac
Gus Luke

Is a perfect mix IMO, we don't need to get older and slower just cause a big guy got hurt. Rags aren't that physical on the D

Old
04-26-2014, 08:05 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Sure he will come in and fill in the pk minutes, but my problem is we have to many big unskilled D as it is. Young and quick D is what's needed to create offense vs team like the Rags. Gus and Luke have proven chemistry , why not add what is a greater need.

Kimmo Coburn
Streit Amac
Gus Luke

Is a perfect mix IMO, we don't need to get older and slower just cause a big guy got hurt. Rags aren't that physical on the D
Ehh, problem with the Gus Luke pairing is they're both players that are prone to mistakes. I'd rather have someone solid in Gill then risk Gus ****ing up and letting one in when these games have been so close. Now, if we were playing a team like Pittsburgh, I'd say Gus over Gill.

But close scoring defensive games? Definitely Gill.

Old
04-26-2014, 08:14 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The times Gill actually has played, he has actually looked better than Gtossman. But if the plan is to put him with Streit and play 20 minutes, I think that'll be trouble. Not worried about veteran leadership and winning, if that mattered, he wouldn't have been here on a tryout.

Would rather we just go with 7 defensemen though.
That's one of the reasons Gill > Grossmann. Chief knows he's not a defensive stalwart back there and won't give him 20 a game.

Old
04-26-2014, 08:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Ehh, problem with the Gus Luke pairing is they're both players that are prone to mistakes.
Who on this team isn't prone to mistakes?

Old
04-26-2014, 08:19 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Ehh, problem with the Gus Luke pairing is they're both players that are prone to mistakes. I'd rather have someone solid in Gill then risk Gus ****ing up and letting one in when these games have been so close. Now, if we were playing a team like Pittsburgh, I'd say Gus over Gill.

But close scoring defensive games? Definitely Gill.
Gus and Luke play very well together. They put together one of the best runs of any pairing this season. It was a five or six game span where they had like 6 points between them and were a plus 8 while logging 18-20 minutes a game. Gus wasn't on for a single goal against and Luke was on for one and it was while on the PK. They were great, they just seem to complement each other perfectly.

I get why Gill would be in over Gus though, I'm just not too sure I agree with it.

Old
04-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Schmidty324

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Who on this team isn't prone to mistakes?
Hal Gill.

Old
04-26-2014, 08:22 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty324 View Post
Hal Gill.

Yeah, apparently.

Closed Thread