HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff AV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  #1
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Playoff AV

First of all, this loss stung like no other loss has in my life. It hit a particular nerve. I literally have thought of radically toning down my Rangers viewing habits. So I don't know if this is me getting back on the horse of what, but I'm completely shellshocked. We didn't lose by a large margin or anything and we dominated the first and even outplayed them in the second. But seeing the way they played in the 3rd gave me the realization that this team isn't winning **** this year and likely isn't getting past this mediocre Flyers team is a tough one. This has been my favorite team post-lockout and that's why this loss has hit me particularly hard because I realized this team is the same **** as every year, no matter how they look and no matter the advanced stats, it's all a bunch of heartache every year and it's grinding on me, I should be enjoying life spending Friday trying to get girls not depressed that my favorite team has disappointed me for yet another time. But more specifically to this team another realization, a daunting one hit me:

Canucks fans were right about AV. Rather playoff AV. The guy can't make an adjustment in the playoffs to save his life. To see the Rangers look as helpless and as overmatched as they have just 2 games ago by this mediocre as **** defense in the 3rd period made me lose faith in this guy. The Rangers have had moments like this in the regular season, but more often than not they played well in the 3rd but just couldn't solve the goalie. However, twice in the same series the Rangers looked helpless and lost in the 3rd period. It was humiliating. And it's not all AV by a long shot. The Flyers were quicker to every puck, won every one on one battle, and generally looked like they wanted it more. Maybe it's more of a flaw in this team that seems pretty one dimensional and the dimension doesn't work down in the 3rd. However, I legit don't remember Torts teams looking this inept in 3rd periods of playoff games when down. At least not twice in a row to the same ****ing opponent. The team looked lost, had no direction. I have really lost a lot of faith in a man I respected and enjoyed his style of play. Anyway, this was a very long winded way of saying, anyone else lose some faith in the coach after seeing everything Canucks fans criticized him for come to fruition? Oh and get outplayed by a rookie meathead coach. I think this deserves it's own thread and it's probably an overreaction based on 2 out of 4 losses, but playoff AV has really disappointed me. Seems like Canucks fans were right and we have a coach that can't adjust in the playoffs and that means we have a coach that we probably can't win with unless we get an absolute juggernaut and even with that he couldn't win in 2011.

If the mods think this belongs in the post-game thread or isn't thread worthy lock her up, but I think talking about playoff AV is important, early on in his tenure or not, because this isn't his first coaching job.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:44 AM
  #2
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
I with you, it was frustrating to watch. I want to give AV a little more time. When your best offensive player isn't getting engaged in the action it's tough for us to win. MSL has been good. Zucc has been good. It's time for Nash to get us some scoring. This was the only game I've been disappointed in. I thought they played well in Game 2, this game however when they fell behind it's like they gave up. Didn't really test Mason after that, who made some nice early saves.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:51 AM
  #3
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I with you, it was frustrating to watch. I want to give AV a little more time. When your best offensive player isn't getting engaged in the action it's tough for us to win. MSL has been good. Zucc has been good. It's time for Nash to get us some scoring. This was the only game I've been disappointed in. I thought they played well in Game 2, this game however when they fell behind it's like they gave up. Didn't really test Mason after that, who made some nice early saves.
This game was similar to game 2. They were pretty good in the 2nd I thought, though not nearly as good as the first. But that 3rd period was a disgrace, it was humiliating. I've NEVER seen a Torts coached team lie down like this in the 3rd period two consecutive games in the same series. This wasn't Boston we were playing. This looked like men against boys. How AV hasn't come up with a way to beat the ****ing trap and this "juggernaut" defense in the 3rd is inexplicable. Once I was ok with. My confidence in him has been completely shaken. This is bush league coaching. Did they not practice or talk about what to do after game 2? Or is the team so terrible that it didn't work?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:11 AM
  #4
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
This game was similar to game 2. They were pretty good in the 2nd I thought, though not nearly as good as the first. But that 3rd period was a disgrace, it was humiliating. I've NEVER seen a Torts coached team lie down like this in the 3rd period two consecutive games in the same series. This wasn't Boston we were playing. This looked like men against boys. How AV hasn't come up with a way to beat the ****ing trap and this "juggernaut" defense in the 3rd is inexplicable. Once I was ok with. My confidence in him has been completely shaken. This is bush league coaching. Did they not practice or talk about what to do after game 2? Or is the team so terrible that it didn't work?
My biggest gripe with last nights loss and others have said the same, was how we didn't work the puck in deep or lay the body on their defensman after the Grossman injury. With only five defenseman left, you need to make the work, however we made it easy for them. No excuses on his powerplay selection to start the period. I would've gone with MSL, Zuccarello, Nash, and McDonagh. Nash and Zuccarello would attempt to at least shoot the puck. I know Nash hasn't been successful on the powerplay of late, but 4 on 3, I want him on the ice. Stepan,Richards,MSL and McDonagh = everyone just looking to pass.

Edit: I realize there's no centerman on the ice there. I would bring in Boyle just to win the faceoff and then take him off the ice, or leave him on and screen the goalie at least.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:21 AM
  #5
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
My biggest gripe with last nights loss and others have said the same, was how we didn't work the puck in deep or lay the body on their defensman after the Grossman injury. With only five defenseman left, you need to make the work, however we made it easy for them. No excuses on his powerplay selection to start the period. I would've gone with MSL, Zuccarello, Nash, and McDonagh. Nash and Zuccarello would attempt to at least shoot the puck. I know Nash hasn't been successful on the powerplay of late, but 4 on 3, I want him on the ice. Stepan,Richards,MSL and McDonagh = everyone just looking to pass.

Edit: I realize there's no centerman on the ice there. I would bring in Boyle just to win the faceoff and then take him off the ice, or leave him on and screen the goalie at least.
I forgot about the Grossman injury. Ugh. Just so much fail. Every dump in, it looked like 10 Flyers on the ice, they'd take puck away from the Rangers like little boys. It was a pathetic display. It was frankly shocking considering I really thought that the team showed killer instinct in the first. The Rangers should have been up at least 2-0 after 1.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:57 PM
  #6
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,140
vCash: 137
4 games in and Canucks fans were right all along about AV. Okay

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:57 PM
  #7
Capt McDonut
Tanner Glass=Sniper
 
Capt McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
I just think this man to man system doesn't work.. We constant lose guy in front of the net or in the slot

Capt McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
  #8
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,140
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bto131 View Post
I just think this man to man system doesn't work.. We constant lose guy in front of the net or in the slot
Well, for this whole "system that doesn't work" we were 4th in GAA in the league. But stats should never get in the way of baseless arguments.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:02 PM
  #9
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
The series isn't over. Relax.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:04 PM
  #10
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,274
vCash: 500
Another emotional over reaction? Shocking.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:23 PM
  #11
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
The man to man system is not the reason why we can't play from behind.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:26 PM
  #12
JCrusher*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
First of all, this loss stung like no other loss has in my life. It hit a particular nerve. I literally have thought of radically toning down my Rangers viewing habits. So I don't know if this is me getting back on the horse of what, but I'm completely shellshocked. We didn't lose by a large margin or anything and we dominated the first and even outplayed them in the second. But seeing the way they played in the 3rd gave me the realization that this team isn't winning **** this year and likely isn't getting past this mediocre Flyers team is a tough one. This has been my favorite team post-lockout and that's why this loss has hit me particularly hard because I realized this team is the same **** as every year, no matter how they look and no matter the advanced stats, it's all a bunch of heartache every year and it's grinding on me, I should be enjoying life spending Friday trying to get girls not depressed that my favorite team has disappointed me for yet another time. But more specifically to this team another realization, a daunting one hit me:

Canucks fans were right about AV. Rather playoff AV. The guy can't make an adjustment in the playoffs to save his life. To see the Rangers look as helpless and as overmatched as they have just 2 games ago by this mediocre as **** defense in the 3rd period made me lose faith in this guy. The Rangers have had moments like this in the regular season, but more often than not they played well in the 3rd but just couldn't solve the goalie. However, twice in the same series the Rangers looked helpless and lost in the 3rd period. It was humiliating. And it's not all AV by a long shot. The Flyers were quicker to every puck, won every one on one battle, and generally looked like they wanted it more. Maybe it's more of a flaw in this team that seems pretty one dimensional and the dimension doesn't work down in the 3rd. However, I legit don't remember Torts teams looking this inept in 3rd periods of playoff games when down. At least not twice in a row to the same ****ing opponent. The team looked lost, had no direction. I have really lost a lot of faith in a man I respected and enjoyed his style of play. Anyway, this was a very long winded way of saying, anyone else lose some faith in the coach after seeing everything Canucks fans criticized him for come to fruition? Oh and get outplayed by a rookie meathead coach. I think this deserves it's own thread and it's probably an overreaction based on 2 out of 4 losses, but playoff AV has really disappointed me. Seems like Canucks fans were right and we have a coach that can't adjust in the playoffs and that means we have a coach that we probably can't win with unless we get an absolute juggernaut and even with that he couldn't win in 2011.

If the mods think this belongs in the post-game thread or isn't thread worthy lock her up, but I think talking about playoff AV is important, early on in his tenure or not, because this isn't his first coaching job.

You are gonna give yourself a heart attack dude If you thoguht thsi was gonna be a quick easy series than you are fooling yourself. I hate the flyers but they are still a tough team. The Rangers will still win this series but it was always gonna be a battle

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
  #13
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,289
vCash: 50
lol are people going to blame the coach AGAIN?

If the team gets similar results from two different coaches, what should that tell you?

Besides, it's still four games in. The loss was frustrating but people acting like this is over seriously need to chill and realize it's just a game they have no control over.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:40 PM
  #14
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
You are gonna give yourself a heart attack dude If you thoguht thsi was gonna be a quick easy series than you are fooling yourself. I hate the flyers but they are still a tough team. The Rangers will still win this series but it was always gonna be a battle
We should have won at least 3 games already. It's just that seeing that 3rd period made me realize that I'm stuck in perpetual ******** with this team. It was daunting realization. Plus that it's not normal to get as worked up about losses as I do. I need to take a break or something.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:42 PM
  #15
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
lol are people going to blame the coach AGAIN?

If the team gets similar results from two different coaches, what should that tell you?

Besides, it's still four games in. The loss was frustrating but people acting like this is over seriously need to chill and realize it's just a game they have no control over.
He couldn't have made adjustments after last game we didn't get a sniff in the 3rd?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:50 PM
  #16
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,140
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
He couldn't have made adjustments after last game we didn't get a sniff in the 3rd?
What adjustments should've been made? We've seen it before. These ****ing idiots build a lead and do nothing for the rest of the ****ing game. It's not a coaching issue.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 01:50 PM
  #17
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Also BB, what part of this does it seem like I'm solely blaming the coach? Selective reading?

Quote:
And it's not all AV by a long shot. The Flyers were quicker to every puck, won every one on one battle, and generally looked like they wanted it more. Maybe it's more of a flaw in this team that seems pretty one dimensional and the dimension doesn't work down in the 3rd.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 02:06 PM
  #18
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,246
vCash: 500
AV wasn't adjusting? He was just tossing random lines out at the end of the game to try to get anything out of the players. I really don't know what he should've done any differently.

Maybe he should've started talbot

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 02:14 PM
  #19
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
I'm not even asking for them to tie it up, but look like a ****ing NHL team, it's embarrassing.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 02:17 PM
  #20
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm not even asking for them to tie it up, but look like a ****ing NHL team, it's embarrassing.
Well if we didn't even look like an NHL team I'm glad our goalie kept us in the game.

Seriously though I would rather have "playoff AV" than torts at his best.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 02:22 PM
  #21
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
Well if we didn't even look like an NHL team I'm glad our goalie kept us in the game.

Seriously though I would rather have "playoff AV" than torts at his best.
I HATE Torts, I'm glad he's not making the playoffs. I hate his style of hockey. That said, I can't remember the last time his team looked so inept in 2 in the same series in the 3rd down a goal. But really Hank didn't have to keep us in the game because the exciting Flyers were dumping the puck in for almost the entirety of the final 20 minutes.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 03:07 PM
  #22
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I HATE Torts, I'm glad he's not making the playoffs. I hate his style of hockey. That said, I can't remember the last time his team looked so inept in 2 in the same series in the 3rd down a goal. But really Hank didn't have to keep us in the game because the exciting Flyers were dumping the puck in for almost the entirety of the final 20 minutes.
You've already forgotten last year's Boston series? Or the Caps series? Or basically any of the Torts series. Even in 11-'12 they weren't that impressive and couldn't put teams away.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:04 PM
  #23
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,789
vCash: 350
While I was pissed with their third period play, the Rangers utterly dominated the first and second periods. Unfortunately there was only one goal to show for it. That's crappy but it's gonna happen.

Really though, if you take 1 out of 2 on the road and you have home ice that's about as much as you can ask for. We should be much more upset about game 2 if anything.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:11 PM
  #24
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 5,464
vCash: 783
Let me ask you, would you rather have playoff AV or would you rather walk dogs with Torts at one of Vancouver's lovely parks?

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:16 PM
  #25
Aufheben
Global Moderator
#planttheparade2015
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 15,930
vCash: 69
I feel like...4 games is way too soon for this stuff...

__________________
X X X X - X _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _
Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.