HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

All Black Gear in Pickup

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2014, 06:29 AM
beeker16

vCash: 500
All Black Gear in Pickup

What are the general thoughts on this?
Black helmet, jersey, gloves, pants, socks etc.

Annoying or helpful during pickup?

Old
05-28-2014, 07:50 AM
leftwinger37

As long as they have a dark and a light jersey, I don't really care what color their gear is. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is having all black gear annoying?

Although I see more and more guys these days playing pickup with two or three complete kits in different colorways (matching jerseys, socks, pants, gloves, helmets, etc.), I still have to believe that the majority of people only own one set of gear. More often than not, it tends to be black.

The guys that I play with complain more about people that wear grey as it is confusing for both the light and the dark squads.

Old
05-28-2014, 09:34 AM
OpenIceHit42

I donít get the issue? For my league team, we have to have same color pants, helmet and matching unis. So during pickup games Iíll wear a black (or white) practice jersey, our practice socks (Kings black/white/silver colors) and the rest of my gear is black.

Old
05-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Canadiens1958

Puck Visibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
As long as they have a dark and a light jersey, I don't really care what color their gear is. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is having all black gear annoying?

Although I see more and more guys these days playing pickup with two or three complete kits in different colorways (matching jerseys, socks, pants, gloves, helmets, etc.), I still have to believe that the majority of people only own one set of gear. More often than not, it tends to be black.

The guys that I play with complain more about people that wear grey as it is confusing for both the light and the dark squads.
Puck visibility issues.

Old
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The one thing you learn if you play pickup hockey is the simple concept of a black and a WHITE jersey is lost on some guys. There will always be at least one guy in red, yellow or grey.

Old
05-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The one thing you learn if you play pickup hockey is the simple concept of a black and a WHITE jersey is lost on some guys. There will always be at least one guy in red, yellow or grey.
yeah i always laugh at this. there's always those few guys wearing ridiculous colors and it throws everyone off

as for all black gear, i'm guilty of that whenever i wear a black jersey for pickup. my helmet, gloves, pants, and socks are all black. never even thought about it though nor has anyone ever told me anything. just as long as i'm clearly on the dark team and not wearing a color like red or orange i figure all is well

Old
05-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No issues at all. Black is the most common color for protective gear.

The only weird thing in pickup is when a guy comes dressed up like he came from an NHL team. Like wearing an Ovechkin jersey, caps colored helmet/socks/gloves/pants etc.

Old
05-28-2014, 12:11 PM
MattGTI

As stated prior- black is pretty much the most common color in hockey equipment, and pretty much a safe bet when buying equipment as it doesn't really clash as much as most colors with whatever team you are playing on.

There are mulitple NHL teams that have almost all black in their home uniforms(jersey/pants/socks/gloves/helmets) and nobody has an issue with it. So I can't see how anyone at a pickup game should.

Old
05-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
We usually just do light colors vs darker colors at our rink. Not everyone has white/black.

05-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Martin Riggs
Formerly Murphy 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

The only weird thing in pickup is when a guy comes dressed up like he came from an NHL team. Like wearing an Ovechkin jersey, caps colored helmet/socks/gloves/pants etc.
I saw a guy once who was done up in all Quebec Nordiques gear. Looked pretty authentic. We all got a kick out of it actually. In that instance only would something like that be acceptable.

Old
05-29-2014, 11:05 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:

I like to match my socks to my jersey, but yeah, when you're getting the pants shells and buying specific-coloured gloves and helmet, then maybe you're going too far. But hey, everybody gets their kicks their own way! If that's them having fun, then ok.

When the OP made this topic, I was wondering if he was worried he was looking too "evil", like he was trying hard to be the bad guy. Like Team Iceland in the Mighty Ducks

Old
05-29-2014, 12:32 PM
19Backstrom
Bring it on Isles :)

Quote:

Why is this an issue ?

Old
05-29-2014, 03:00 PM
MattGTI

I wouldn't say its an "issue" per se. Its more along the lines of just kind of lame.

To each their own though. I am certainly not the guy to judge what another guy wears to pickup hockey. Although, I think the full on authentic NHL get up to a pickup is overkill. Especially if you are rocking a pro's name on your back.

Old
05-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

My goalie always wears all black, even his black jersey every game despite the fact that our team jerseys are light grey and he has one. He has a matte black mask and black leg pads, blocker and glove.

He will even wear the black jersey when we play other teams with black jerseys. Refs never seem to care.

Old
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
PlayoffBeard365

I wouldn't chirp someone for going all ninja but I like some added color personally. I wear navy, black and white. Most guys seem to try to look as rag tag as possible but I prefer to coordinate. IMHO it really doesn't matter what you wear in pick up as long as you like it and all white based jerseys are on white team and all other colors are on dark team.

Old
05-29-2014, 08:32 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Why is this an issue ?
I know what Jarick means, but it's not easy to put into words. Maybe it's because most people show up to the rink with whatever, usually mismatched and don't care. But one then what one person steps out looking like he's ready to take warmups with the team on it's jersey, it's just odd.

I thought for a second that maybe I fell into this category. I have a pair of Penguins prostock pants and matching socks (both were a deal and ran me less than $70 total), but I wear an offsetting jersey and the blue helmet completely clashes with everything.

I think I'm safe.

Old
05-29-2014, 10:31 PM
19Backstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Puck visibility issues.
That's an excuse. You don't see the Blackhawks complaining that the Kings' uni is completely black...

Old
05-30-2014, 09:39 AM
jazzykat

My hockey pants have duct tape over a big hole in the nylon covering. I don't have to worry about being too stylish.

Old
05-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Canadiens1958

Pick-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
That's an excuse. You don't see the Blackhawks complaining that the Kings' uni is completely black...
Not aware that the Blackhawks and Kings were playing pick-up as per the opening post. Nor is the Kings uni completely black as the poster posited.

Comment stands for pick-up and other levels where the skill and experience levels ar barely above minimal.

Old
05-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Devil Dancer

As long as no one is wearing gray or yellow IDGAF.

Old
05-30-2014, 05:34 PM
TieClark

I never even though about most of this stuff being relatively new to mens league. But the odd colours are normally, at least from my experience, a case of younger guys wearing their old practice jerseys. Generally D got black and forwards got colours to match the lines.

The whole matching NHL team stuff does seem weird to me. I mean it'd probably feel pretty cool to wear all Leafs stuff but when you're playing pickup it just seems off. Like wearing a suit to hockey game...

Old
05-31-2014, 02:19 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

I wore practically all black once to a pick up game and guys started to call me Johnny Cash, I thought it was pretty cool. I think it's a little funny when guys wear full NHL style sweaters, but hey who cares. My rink is super laid back tho, we don't have too many of those "whoa I'm way too cool to wear matching socks" kinda guys. Ultimately, those who really care about the gear people wear are the ones who take it a little too seriously. Go have fun. But really grey or yellow sweaters do bother me just beceuace it can be hard to tell which team they are on. Easy solution, just don't pass them the puck. If they ask you why you don't pass it to them just say, "I couldn't tell what team you're on" hopefully they will pick up on the subtle tip.

Old
05-31-2014, 03:07 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Not aware that the Blackhawks and Kings were playing pick-up as per the opening post. Nor is the Kings uni completely black as the poster posited.

Comment stands for pick-up and other levels where the skill and experience levels ar barely above minimal.
That's flawed logic though. There are plenty of squirt, mite, pee wee, and lower level adult leagues that have a team with almost all black in their color scheme. Sans a stripe or two in their socks, and maybe a the logo on the crest of their jersey. While the skill level can be debated in terms of relevancy. The fact remains the majority of them probably aren't overly skilled. As stated prior a ridiculously high % of black helmets, pants, and gloves are worn by players of every skill level. Most teams with a black jersey have black socks in any organized league. Pick up is pick up, it should be one team in white, and one team in solids. If someone has a black jersey and socks. So be it.

Last edited by MattGTI: 05-31-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old
05-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Just bought some pro stock all black gloves, I will pretty much be all black except my tuuks are standard white. Didnt plan it or try to do it but im not a flashy person so im not attracted to all kinds of colors and designs on my gear

Old
05-31-2014, 05:02 PM
19Backstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
That's flawed logic though. There are plenty of squirt, mite, pee wee, and lower level adult leagues that have a team with almost all black in their color scheme. Sans a stripe or two in their socks, and maybe a the logo on the crest of their jersey. While the skill level can be debated in terms of relevancy. The fact remains the majority of them probably aren't overly skilled. As stated prior a ridiculously high % of helmets, pants, and gloves are worn by players of every skill level. Most teams with a black jersey have black socks in any organized league. Pick up is pick up, it should be one team in white, and one team in solids. If someone has a black jersey and socks. So be it.
This.

Closed Thread