HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Braydon Coburn

Old
05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
He had some brutal turnovers on breakout passes in the Ranger series. Two in game 7 alone. (Coburn supporter-- but wth). Passing into skates or just getting the puck stolen from him in the Flyers end, leading to immediate quality scoring chances for the Rangers.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Really disappointed in Coburns play in Game 7. Really made bonehead plays and continues to be such a frustrating player to watch. He should have had Carcillo on the first goal, no excuses.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
deadhead

Coburn's biggest problem is people look at his physical skills and want him to do more than he's capable of, despite being a good skater, he lacks the offensive skills to be a force in the offensive zone.

However, the size and speed allows him to be an exceptional defensive defensemen if he is allowed to focus on perfecting that part of his game - which is why I'd like to see him paired with Ghost - this would allow Ghost to use his skills to be an offensive force with Coburn using his skating ability to cover for an aggressive partner.

A lot of defenseman play is simply a matter of pairing the right guys in the right system, just look at Luke Schenn, paired with a mobile puck moving defenseman where he can focus on being the responsible partner he looks like a solid top 4 guy, paired with another stiff where he's required to skate and pass on a regular basis he looks hopeless.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
So, are the chances someone can get Philly to move him better, worse, or about the same as last summer/early in the season?

Hard to tell as an outsider. Seems like he had a pretty strong finish, but a 1st round exit might lead to changes. Colorado could use him big time to play with EJ, and let Hejda shift down to partner with Barrie.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
So, are the chances someone can get Philly to move him better, worse, or about the same as last summer/early in the season?

Hard to tell as an outsider. Seems like he had a pretty strong finish, but a 1st round exit might lead to changes. Colorado could use him big time to play with EJ, and let Hejda shift down to partner with Barrie.
I'd say worse or the same. They need him to log big minutes and PK (especially with Timonen likely gone), and they don't have anyone to replace him.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I'd say worse or the same. They need him to log big minutes and PK (especially with Timonen likely gone), and they don't have anyone to replace him.
That's about what I expected. Thanks.

Colorado really needs a D like him, but the piece they'd want to center a deal around is probably PAP, and he doesn't seem like a great fit in Philly, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine they'd ask for McGinn+ instead if they were to have talks.

Old
05-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
That's about what I expected. Thanks.

Colorado really needs a D like him, but the piece they'd want to center a deal around is probably PAP, and he doesn't seem like a great fit in Philly, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine they'd ask for McGinn+ instead if they were to have talks.
Ryan O'Reilly would interest the Flyers, especially after his successful switch to left wing, if the aves choose to resign Statsny instead and put him up for trade. The Flyers would definitely have to add and I think Colorado fans would want a better defenseman than Coburn. The reality however, is that Coburn would be the best established defenseman the Aves could get in trade. Any one better and then your talking legitimate #1s and nobody is trading one of those.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Ryan O'Reilly would interest the Flyers, especially after his successful switch to left wing, if the aves choose to resign Statsny instead and put him up for trade. The Flyers would definitely have to add and I think Colorado fans would want a better defenseman than Coburn. The reality however, is that Coburn would be the best established defenseman the Aves could get in trade. Any one better and then your talking legitimate #1s and nobody is trading one of those.
I agree with that, and that's why I think it would be tough for Colorado to get Philly to part with Coburn, but Holmgren is always unpredictable, and the Flyers management never seems very patient given the pressure.

I'm pretty sure they'd look for a lesser D man, rather than give up O'Reilly, but it's understandable if that's what it would take for the Flyers to be interested. They might get better value for more of a project in Cowen, if the Sens are impatient with his development.

Old
05-05-2014, 12:45 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Coburn is on the trade block this summer, for good or for ill.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I agree with that, and that's why I think it would be tough for Colorado to get Philly to part with Coburn, but Holmgren is always unpredictable, and the Flyers management never seems very patient given the pressure.
That's why the ROR situation will be interesting this summer. If, and it is a big if, Colorado decides to trade OReilly, I see the Flyers willing to make a substantial bid. He is the exact kind of player Holmgren loves, a two way center turned left wing, and left wing is only position he mentioned by name he was definitely looking to upgrade. Its would be very Flyer like to overpay for a winger at the expense of an already shaky defense.

Old
05-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Coburn is on the trade block this summer, for good or for ill.
it would surprise the hell out of me. Our defense is going to suck next year with or without coburn but to lose him the amount of suckage would be off the chart. that is unless ghost becomes keith w/ a slapshot

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
it would surprise the hell out of me. Our defense is going to suck next year with or without coburn but to lose him the amount of suckage would be off the chart. that is unless ghost becomes keith w/ a slapshot
If we go into next season with the troops we currently have, as you said, we are going to suck. There's no way Holmgren will not be trying to wheel and deal, and I would imagine at least one defensemen will be one of his targets.

There's not many assets on this team that hold value and we could be willing to part with.

B. Schenn
L. Schenn
Coburn

That's it, I'd say, off the NHL roster. Everyone else would have negative value (Hartnell, Lecavalier) or not enough value to be worth moving.

You'd have to be crazy to think Coburn won't a chip holmgren places on the table.

Old
05-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Holmgren specifically mentioned adding a 1st line left wing. Vanek is the only one available thru free agency and he is signing with Minnesota. So that leaves trade. Flyers don't have much to offer to get that winger except maybe Coburn. It would be very Flyers like to upgrade the forward position by weakening the defense even more.

Old
05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Holmgren specifically mentioned adding a 1st line left wing. Vanek is the only one available thru free agency and he is signing with Minnesota. So that leaves trade. Flyers don't have much to offer to get that winger except maybe Coburn. It would be very Flyers like to upgrade the forward position by weakening the defense even more.
Interesting. Where did Holmgren mention adding a 1st line LW?

Old
05-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Interesting. Where did Holmgren mention adding a 1st line LW?
Quote:
. Holmgren said that adding a first-line left wing would be at the top of his priority list, which doesn't bode well for Scott Hartnell, who has 5 years left on his deal . . .
http://articles.philly.com/2014-05-0...on-stanley-cup

That's according to Seravalli at his end of the year press conference.

Old
05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Mgkibbles

This has to be the year he's gone. Just has to be. I get that he matches up size and speed wise with a lot of big, skilled forwards...but he's a ****ing idiot. I'm done.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:41 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
This has to be the year he's gone. Just has to be. I get that he matches up size and speed wise with a lot of big, skilled forwards...but he's a ****ing idiot. I'm done.
His brainfarts during regular season can be really frustrating but I think Hartnell played a very contained game in the playoffs. Simmonds, Schenn and Hall all took more penalties than Hartnell, Couts the same amount.

He may no longer be a bonafide first liner but he sure can be an effective top-6 winger. At least if he can avoid any major injuries like broken legs this time and prepare for next season properly...

This is probably more about finding a spot for Lecavalier and not being forced to use Raffl as a full time #1 LW than ditching Harnell.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
You'd have to be crazy to think Coburn won't a chip holmgren places on the table.
You'd have to be crazy to think Holmgren would trade our top defenseman without having a 23+ minute guy coming in.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Broad Street Elite

Coburn simply got over-exposed because of how limited Kimmo was at the end of the year. He's the complimentary guy on a top or second pairing who does the small things behind the scenes. Whenever he has been asked to carry a pairing, he has struggled.

He's the same guy he has been, but when Grossmann went down, Coburn had even more pressure. Unlike in previous playoffs, he simply wasn't at his best under those circumstances.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:36 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I half want Coburn to be moved, just so the people wishing he was gone realize how ****** our defense is without him.

05-06-2014, 10:50 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
His brainfarts during regular season can be really frustrating but I think Hartnell played a very contained game in the playoffs. Simmonds, Schenn and Hall all took more penalties than Hartnell, Couts the same amount.

He may no longer be a bonafide first liner but he sure can be an effective top-6 winger. At least if he can avoid any major injuries like broken legs this time and prepare for next season properly...

This is probably more about finding a spot for Lecavalier and not being forced to use Raffl as a full time #1 LW than ditching Harnell.
He's talking about Coburn

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:31 AM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
You'd have to be crazy to think Holmgren would trade our top defenseman without having a 23+ minute guy coming in.
Unless Holmgren thinks Macdonald could replace Coburn....

bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Curufinwe

I really doubt he thinks that. MacDonald is not strong enough to take over Coburn's minutes.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Let Coburn be someone else's problem. The guy is a million dollar talent with a ten cent brain. Every year, it's the same thing with Coburn - about a third of the season, he completely craps the bed; another third of a season he's serviceable and then the final third, he's an all world defender. And every year, every Coburn sympathist gives him a free pass because "he just needs an offensive defenseman" to play with and every year they pair him with one, he stinks up the joint. And funny thing is, people always blame the other guy, it's never Coburn. I'm so looking forward to when they ship him out.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Im far from a fan of his, but no one can deny his talent as a complementary top 4 defender. He just plays #1 minutes which is the problem.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote