HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Braydon Coburn

Old
05-06-2014, 01:07 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
You'd have to be crazy to think Holmgren would trade our top defenseman without having a 23+ minute guy coming in.
Well, I was suggesting that Holmgren will certainly be attempting shuffle up the defense by acquring a defensemen, so Coburn would be a trade chip to make this happen. Though obviously there would be more than one trade in this scenario because a don't see a 1-for-1 Coburn swap for another defensemen happening.

So I'm not crazy, right?

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Give me a name of someone who could take Coburn's role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Let Coburn be someone else's problem. The guy is a million dollar talent with a ten cent brain. Every year, it's the same thing with Coburn - about a third of the season, he completely craps the bed; another third of a season he's serviceable and then the final third, he's an all world defender. And every year, every Coburn sympathist gives him a free pass because "he just needs an offensive defenseman" to play with and every year they pair him with one, he stinks up the joint. And funny thing is, people always blame the other guy, it's never Coburn. I'm so looking forward to when they ship him out.
These past two seasons he has played mainly with Grossmann and a way past his best Kimmo. And he didn't stink up the joint this year.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:20 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Give me a name of someone who could take Coburn's role.
If Coburn's role is to play 23 minutes of mediocrity a night, he's not that unreplaceable.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Curufinwe

If Coburn had actually been mediocre this season we would have been a lottery team. He had a pretty good year dragging around two partners with limited mobility in Grossmann and Kimmo.

Please give me a name of some available defender who you could pair with those two and have more success than Coburn has had.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Psuhockey

Coburn would be an important support player of a cup contender. Problem is the Flyers are far from being a cup contender and there is nothing they could do this offseason to become one. They need to add a couple more difference makers to realistically challenge for a cup and the only way to add those type of players is thru the draft or thru trade. If trading Coburn, or a package with Coburn as the centerpiece, gets one of those key players, then so be it.

The Flyers are a playoff bubble team with or without Coburn next year. The worst thing that happens is the bottom falls out and they get a top 10 pick in the loaded draft of 2015, so be it. Look how bottoming out helped Colorado with Mackinnon.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Curufinwe

If we could trade Coburn + BSchenn for a player like Suter who is better and would eat even more ice time then I would. But we can't.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
If Coburn had actually been mediocre this season we would have been a lottery team. He had a pretty good year dragging around two partners with limited mobility in Grossmann and Kimmo.

Please give me a name of some available defender who you could pair with those two and have more success than Coburn has had.
Coburn doesn't deserve much credit for the modest success of this season. He's as much to blame for the Flyer's meager defense as anybody else. Kimmo (his main D-partner) may be slow, but he can still make the right plays. I just don't see it as Coburn being dragged down by Kimmo.

As far as who's available, that's hard for me to say. If you really want me to, I'll go through every team and give a case for 1-3 players from each team that could easily replace Coburn, when I have the time.

Again, I'm not saying trade Coburn. I'm saying Holmgren will be trying to replace him. The question is whether Holmgren's offer will be enticing enough to get the correct replacement.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
If you really want me to, I'll go through every team and give a case for 1-3 players from each team that could easily replace Coburn, when I have the time.
Why don't you start by naming one defenseman who the Flyers could trade for and who could play Coburn's minutes on this team next season?

Old
05-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Why don't you start by naming one defenseman who the Flyers could trade for and who could play Coburn's minutes on this team next season?
Ehrhoff

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:56 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Nah, I'm good.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Curufinwe

As expected, you have nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Ehrhoff
He's a good player, but not the guy you play against other teams top lines and be the main penalty killer if you expect to be a good defensive team. In his best seasons in Vancouver he had Mitchell, Hamhuis, Bieska and Salo to handle those responsibilities.

Also Buffalo face a potentially devastating $10 million recapture penalty if he is traded and retires with one year left on his contract, so trading him would be very risky.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 05-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
As expected, you have nothing.
Or I don't feel like satisfying your wiser than thou attitude.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

I knew if I opened this thread and looked at some of the Coburn hater comments I would need some TUMS.....

Again, problem with Coburn is when he is expected to be a number one D man consistently. He's no Pronger and never will be but he is still a very valuable D man to this team. Surround him with some better defensive depth so that he's not doing most of the heavy lifting (playing mostly as a second pairing D man) and he'll be even more invaluable. Lots of teams would love to have him and rightfully so...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Let Coburn be someone else's problem. The guy is a million dollar talent with a ten cent brain. Every year, it's the same thing with Coburn - about a third of the season, he completely craps the bed; another third of a season he's serviceable and then the final third, he's an all world defender. And every year, every Coburn sympathist gives him a free pass because "he just needs an offensive defenseman" to play with and every year they pair him with one, he stinks up the joint. And funny thing is, people always blame the other guy, it's never Coburn. I'm so looking forward to when they ship him out.
I'm still not sure what the problem with this is.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Striiker
Non-factor

Quote:

Gus.

Just kidding, obviously

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
If Coburn's role is to play 23 minutes of mediocrity a night, he's not that unreplaceable.
It's mediocre if you compare him to Chara/Weber/Suter, but we're not getting any of those players. Coburn plays at a level equal or better to any reasonable replacement, but posters often pin blame on him to vent their frustration over not having the elite #1 they so desperately want.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:46 PM
deadhead

Quote:
If we go into next season with the troops we currently have, as you said, we are going to suck. There's no way Holmgren will not be trying to wheel and deal, and I would imagine at least one defensemen will be one of his targets.

There's not many assets on this team that hold value and we could be willing to part with.

B. Schenn
L. Schenn
Coburn

That's it, I'd say, off the NHL roster. Everyone else would have negative value (Hartnell, Lecavalier) or not enough value to be worth moving.

You'd have to be crazy to think Coburn won't a chip holmgren places on the table.
This is such abject nonsense, it ignores how they played after the first 10 games or so, and assumes that none of the young player will improve, nor will any prospect provide any value next year.

Coburn's biggest problem is that he's got limitations, and like most players, needs to be put in a position to succeed - pair him with Timmo when he still had legs, he'd be fine. Just don't ask him to be an offensive defensemen.

Instead of blowing up the team, think about low cost tweaks that would make the current players better - we've seen how much better Luke Schenn plays with a mobile defenseman, how about pairing Coburn with an offensive defenseman who can carry the puck out and let him focus on defense?

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:59 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Gostisbhere could end up being the perfect partner for Coburn. They both have good-great speed and the rest of their skills complement each other. Coburn can help bail Ghost out when he ends up making rookie mistakes. The only problem I see is Coburn plays 20+ minutes a night which will be tough for a rookie to play especially when not used to potentially playing 82 or more games. But Ghost wouldn't be seeing all of Coburn's penalty kill minutes so it could work out. Losing Coburn would hurt a lot more than some think especially next year if at least one top pairing defenseman isn't coming back in another move.

That being said, this defense needs to be revamped and is still a couple/few years away from being able to take us deep into the playoffs so I wouldn't be against trading him for a really good return with a young defenseman with high potential coming back.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 04:41 PM
shifting

Blues fan coming in peace.

EDIT: I found what I was looking for in some posts.

Last edited by shifting: 05-31-2014 at 04:48 PM.
shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I think Coburn is a very good overall defenseman. He is a great skater, makes good breakout passes, and can play a shutdown role. We all know that he is prone to the occasional giveaway or mistake, but he has also been tasked with handling more responsibility defensively than would be ideal. He's a good #2 or fantastic #3 defenseman. But he's been asked to play more minutes than any other player (led the team in TOI this season) and almost none of it was on the PP, so he's playing really tough minutes. If this team had a true #1 defenseman to pair with Coburn, we'd be set.

Coburn did look pretty awful in Belarus for the WHC, though. He was the only player on Team Canada with a negative +/- (-4). He mostly played with Tyler Myers, who had an even rating.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I think Coburn is a very good overall defenseman. He is a great skater, makes good breakout passes, and can play a shutdown role. We all know that he is prone to the occasional giveaway or mistake, but he has also been tasked with handling more responsibility defensively than would be ideal. He's a good #2 or fantastic #3 defenseman. But he's been asked to play more minutes than any other player (led the team in TOI this season) and almost none of it was on the PP, so he's playing really tough minutes. If this team had a true #1 defenseman to pair with Coburn, we'd be set.

Coburn did look pretty awful in Belarus for the WHC, though. He was the only player on Team Canada with a negative +/- (-4). He mostly played with Tyler Myers, who had an even rating.
Yup....for better or for worse, he is the best we have. We just need to find 1 guy better than him and it shifts guys into better spots that they can handle.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:09 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Who is going to play actual Defense when Coburn is gone?? Don't see him being moved tbh, despite what others on here are speculating.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
tmccar04

Stop liking him

I seriously don't understand people's actual fondness of Braydon Coburn. He is honestly terrible. He can't pivot, gets beat with speed around the outside (where a defenseman is supposed to put forwards bearing down on them) and can't play to the inside either. The only time he makes a good skating decision is when he can skate straight north and south with little resistance and can't get the puck out of trouble. He doesn't clear to corners all the time, and turns the puck over when under pressure from a forecheck. I can't even count the number of times he just tries to wrap pucks and no one's there ( not because they're missing their spots, but because he just wraps pucks without looking). He is a $4.5 million cap hit that's worth about $3 at most.

tmccar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Curufinwe

Take this garbage to the Flyers facebook page.

Old
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccar04 View Post
I seriously don't understand people's actual fondness of Braydon Coburn. He is honestly terrible. He can't pivot, gets beat with speed around the outside (where a defenseman is supposed to put forwards bearing down on them) and can't play to the inside either. The only time he makes a good skating decision is when he can skate straight north and south with little resistance and can't get the puck out of trouble. He doesn't clear to corners all the time, and turns the puck over when under pressure from a forecheck. I can't even count the number of times he just tries to wrap pucks and no one's there ( not because they're missing their spots, but because he just wraps pucks without looking). He is a $4.5 million cap hit that's worth about $3 at most.
Do you have a blue book value on him somewhere? How do you figure he's at 3m?

also don't tell me what to do g-d damnit.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote