HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXXV: Hold on to your butts

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

vCash: 500
I just drink orange juice.

Old
08-06-2014, 10:45 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
Harg Nallin'

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Poifect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
I've been watching The X Files a lot this summer and I have made it to the John Doggett era. Based on the first two episodes of season 8, I'm excited to see where this goes. I can say with certainty though that Patrick's presence has given the show a much needed shake up.
Ooh, I've only watched a couple episodes of that show. Fringe leaves me craving another good paranormal series. Used to love Supernatural, but then they started with the story arc crap. Just give me stand-alones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
So the 1990 TMNT movie was on TV the other day. I'm shocked at how well the effects hold up with regards to the suits. Of course, it was Jim Henson's doing, so I suppose I shouldn't be shocked.

Anyway the important thing is what I learned about the movie. I already knew that Corey Feldman was the voice of Donatello, but then came the following:

1) The voice of Splinter and one of the puppeteers was Kevin Clash. Perhaps better known as Elmo. Yes, that Elmo.

2) One of the more prominent teens that's part of the Foot who you get to see and hear from is Sam Rockwell

and 3) The voice of Michelangelo, Robbie Rist, was perhaps better/best known as the ill-advised "Cousin Oliver" on The Brady Bunch.

So.... yeah.

Every time I see the new TMNT movie commercials, I die a little inside and wonder why it can't be more like this, which was in fact reasonably faithful to both the cartoon and the grittier original comics. Plus I want to nominate Elias Koteas' Casey Jones to join the pantheon of perfect comic book casting alongside Robert Downey as Tony Stark and JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. He's not ripped enough by modern standards, but he does a great job as that sort of loveably positive, upstanding lunkhead vigilante.

"who's that guy?"

"Wayne Gretzky? On Steroids?"
When I first watched the movie, I thought Casey was way cooler than everyone. Raph pissed me off most because he always went past plaid and straight on to Simple Plan.

Hah, I'm surprised Hollywood would give Clash another chance. That's going to really weird me out when I hear his voice. Glad to hear Corey is back, but I certainly hope they don't make Don a vegan who won't eat pepperoni. As for the third chap, at least they didn't hire Raven Simone for April's role.

"Should've put some coal between my buttcheeks, could've made diamonds" - jakeytown, Game 2 vs Kings
Old
08-06-2014, 12:51 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Poifect

Ooh, I've only watched a couple episodes of that show. Fringe leaves me craving another good paranormal series. Used to love Supernatural, but then they started with the story arc crap. Just give me stand-alones!

When I first watched the movie, I thought Casey was way cooler than everyone. Raph pissed me off most because he always went past plaid and straight on to Simple Plan.

Hah, I'm surprised Hollywood would give Clash another chance. That's going to really weird me out when I hear his voice. Glad to hear Corey is back, but I certainly hope they don't make Don a vegan who won't eat pepperoni. As for the third chap, at least they didn't hire Raven Simone for April's role.
I was talking about the old movie, not the new one. Clash was the original movie Splinter in the 90s. In the new movie it's, I think, Tony Shaloub. and Feldman was Don in the 1st and 3rd movies. The new movie has Johnny Knoxville as Leonardo and a bunch of nobodies as the others.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
Old
08-06-2014, 12:56 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Harg Nallin'

vCash: 574
Quote:
I was talking about the old movie, not the new one. Clash was the original movie Splinter in the 90s. In the new movie it's, I think, Tony Shaloub. and Feldman was Don in the 1st and 3rd movies. The new movie has Johnny Knoxville as Leonardo and a bunch of nobodies as the others.
Ugh, so I see. No Feldman is a travesty. Knoxville? Really? He's only entertaining to me when he's taking a shot to the junk.

Old
08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Ugh, so I see. No Feldman is a travesty. Knoxville? Really? He's only entertaining to me when he's taking a shot to the junk.
funnily enough, from the trailers, the only voice I actually like is Donatello. But Knoxville is another strike against the movie for me. Right there with the look of the turtles, the fact that the Turtles' origins is now as a genetically engineered corporate superweapon instead of an accident, the look of the Foot Ninja (SWAT teams with oni masks), white guy shredder in robot armor, and co-starring Megan Fox as a cardboard cutout of April O'Neil.

Old
08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

The original TMNT movie was legit. The fight scenes were pretty well done and Casey Jones being Casey Jones.

Old
08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Grave
Chomp

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
The original TMNT movie was legit. The fight scenes were pretty well done and Casey Jones being Casey Jones.
And they didn't have bad noses.

I are drunksage hashtag sharks
Old
08-06-2014, 03:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
And they didn't have bad noses.
That's one of the biggest things that bugs me about the new movie designs. That and the weird, gangly hunchbacked ogre proportions. We're supposed to buy them as super agile ninjas when they look so body-heavy that they should just tip right over.

Old
08-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Grave
Chomp

vCash: 78
Quote:
That's one of the biggest things that bugs me about the new movie designs. That and the weird, gangly hunchbacked ogre proportions. We're supposed to buy them as super agile ninjas when they look so body-heavy that they should just tip right over.
They look like orcs from lord of the rings mixed with the ogre.
/trolls from the hobbit

Old
08-06-2014, 09:17 PM
bluefunnel

vCash: 1250
Ninja Turtles was pretty much my favorite thing growing up, but I won't be seeing this movie.

I am looking forward to watching Guardians of the Galaxy on Saturday though.

Old
08-06-2014, 10:30 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunnel View Post
Ninja Turtles was pretty much my favorite thing growing up, but I won't be seeing this movie.

I'm looking forward to Gaurdians, but I've heard so much about Boyhood and almost feel like I will miss it if I don't see it this weekend. It almost seems like this will be on many top films of 2014 lists.

Old
08-06-2014, 11:21 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:

GotG was great. Tons of fun, extremely funny, surprisingly good script and acting. I'm trying to find time to go see it a second time. It's definitely one of my top 3 marvel films so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
I'm looking forward to Gaurdians, but I've heard so much about Boyhood and almost feel like I will miss it if I don't see it this weekend. It almost seems like this will be on many top films of 2014 lists.
The redlettermedia guys hated it, a lot. They are pretty picky, but their specific complaints turned me off it completely. Basically they said people are raving over it simply because its 'art', not because it's a good movie. As a movie they said it's terrible.

Old
08-06-2014, 11:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

GotG was great. If you hadn't guessed that Rocket and Groot steal the show. But really everyone is pretty good (thought I'm starting to get Zoe Saldana fatigue because she feels the same in every movie, regardless of whether she's painted green, wearing a Starfleet uniform, or loaded up with guns)

I watched it in 3D, but I don't think it was necessary. I saw people rave over the 3D and talk about how great it was, but at the best of times I forgot it was there, and at the worst of times I felt like it impeded the action with how it tends to blur when things move quickly.

Would watch again in a heartbeat though. I think it sits a notch under Cap: TWS and Avengers though. Probably on par with Iron Man 1

Old
08-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
GotG was great. If you hadn't guessed that Rocket and Groot steal the show. But really everyone is pretty good (thought I'm starting to get Zoe Saldana fatigue because she feels the same in every movie, regardless of whether she's painted green, wearing a Starfleet uniform, or loaded up with guns)

I watched it in 3D, but I don't think it was necessary. I saw people rave over the 3D and talk about how great it was, but at the best of times I forgot it was there, and at the worst of times I felt like it impeded the action with how it tends to blur when things move quickly.

Would watch again in a heartbeat though. I think it sits a notch under Cap: TWS and Avengers though. Probably on par with Iron Man 1
If you want to see it in IMAX (And this isn't real IMAX as far as I know) at my favorite local theater then you have to see it in 3D, otherwise you are relegated to the smaller screens

Oh well, 3D is fine with me, but I could do without the extra fee and just see it in 2D.

If you understood everything I said, you’d be me - Miles Davis

Old
08-07-2014, 12:25 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
If you want to see it in IMAX (And this isn't real IMAX as far as I know) at my favorite local theater then you have to see it in 3D, otherwise you are relegated to the smaller screens

Oh well, 3D is fine with me, but I could do without the extra fee and just see it in 2D.
I went to a regular screen because really it's not like it's tiny and I think the importance/effect of the IMAX (my local theatre has a legit imax screen) is overblown for the premium price except maybe for big spectacle things like Godzilla (which ironically I didn't see in IMAX because the times available suuuuucked.)

I just don't think the 3d was worth the extra money. People said it was amazing and "necessary" and all that, but I didn't think so. After a while I just sort of forgot it was there until the action picked up and everything sort of blurred and ghosted a bit. and it's not like I have vision problems that would hinder my enjoyment of the 3D.

Old
08-07-2014, 12:48 AM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

The redlettermedia guys hated it, a lot. They are pretty picky, but their specific complaints turned me off it completely. Basically they said people are raving over it simply because its 'art', not because it's a good movie. As a movie they said it's terrible.
That's what the skeptic side of my has been thinking. It's kind of like what people were saying about Avatar. Does anyone actually remember what Avatar was about? I don't, other than the graphics and Zoe Saldana looking attractive as one of the Navi. Boyhood comes across as quite an undertaking being a 12 year produced film and all, but is it a "good" film? I hope so, but Guardians is the movie de jour right now and I'm not going to see Turtles.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I went to a regular screen because really it's not like it's tiny and I think the importance/effect of the IMAX (my local theatre has a legit imax screen) is overblown for the premium price except maybe for big spectacle things like Godzilla (which ironically I didn't see in IMAX because the times available suuuuucked.)

I just don't think the 3d was worth the extra money. People said it was amazing and "necessary" and all that, but I didn't think so. After a while I just sort of forgot it was there until the action picked up and everything sort of blurred and ghosted a bit. and it's not like I have vision problems that would hinder my enjoyment of the 3D.
I really like the bigger screens. I figure that's why I'm there instead of waiting for the DVD, but it's not a deal breaker. Sometimes I wait too long and they are only on the smaller screens and that's fine.

On another note: I love The Goldbergs!

Old
08-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

Quote:

Neither will I. Michael Bay ****ing ruins everything and is probably the second worst director out there (next to M. Night Shyamalan).

Current GOAT Quote
Daisy Jane (re: Mitch Marner's chances of getting crushed by Dion): "but Marner isn't Phaneuf's team mate anymore.... why would Marner be in danger of being hit? I'd be more concerned about Lazar or Stone to be honest."
Old
08-07-2014, 01:21 AM
bluefunnel

Quote:

I'm not really big on 3D, we tend to do the drive in a lot. It may not look as good but people in theaters around me talk too much and it's nice to make a night out of it.

I missed out on TWS when it ran in theaters(bad timing), I regret this.

Old
08-07-2014, 06:59 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

I'm rewatching The Office and I just finished the episode when Michael leaves. So much sad. It's hard to believe that I could feel so empty because a character is leaving.

Old
08-07-2014, 11:19 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

Quote:

I saw it in 2D because I took my kid and the 3D stuff really bothers him. He can't keep the glasses on the whole film.

We however have a brand new theater so every screen is pretty big and top notch digital projection. Even have an ATMOS theater and an IMAX. Also, all the theaters (except the IMAX) are 'luxury' theaters. Great big electric recliners with personal tables and assigned seating. I saw it in a packed theater on opening night but because we booked early we had great seats. The seats are so huge that even someone sitting directly next to you isn't in your personal space.

I'm so spoiled now I can't stand going to a regular theater anymore. Plus they don't serve gourmet hot dogs with pretzel buns, pretzels the size of a dinner plate, smoothies, beer and wine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Neither will I. Michael Bay ****ing ruins everything and is probably the second worst director out there (next to M. Night Shyamalan).
While true, Michael Bay is a genius with action cinematography. Film schools actually use his films as a clinic for how to film action. Mostly the Rock, Armageddon, etc. His movies are god awful, but they keep making buckets of money, why? Because the way he films action is totally unique and people are addicted to it.

Old
08-07-2014, 12:19 PM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I saw it in 2D because I took my kid and the 3D stuff really bothers him. He can't keep the glasses on the whole film.

We however have a brand new theater so every screen is pretty big and top notch digital projection. Even have an ATMOS theater and an IMAX. Also, all the theaters (except the IMAX) are 'luxury' theaters. Great big electric recliners with personal tables and assigned seating. I saw it in a packed theater on opening night but because we booked early we had great seats. The seats are so huge that even someone sitting directly next to you isn't in your personal space.

I'm so spoiled now I can't stand going to a regular theater anymore. Plus they don't serve gourmet hot dogs with pretzel buns, pretzels the size of a dinner plate, smoothies, beer and wine...

While true, Michael Bay is a genius with action cinematography. Film schools actually use his films as a clinic for how to film action. Mostly the Rock, Armageddon, etc. His movies are god awful, but they keep making buckets of money, why? Because the way he films action is totally unique and people are addicted to it.
I'm still surprised Bay did The Rock because I love that movie. It's still my favorite Michael Bay film.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:06 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
To be fair he's not directing TMNT, he's only a producer on it.

Old
08-08-2014, 12:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tracypress.com/view/full_...ry_left_column

Tracy hockey player heads to Boston to get attention from college scouts. Played for SJ Jr Sharks, Santa Clara Blackhawks.

Old
08-09-2014, 10:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

TMNT movie tie in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-lT1oOU7b4

(There's a behind the scenes too)

Closed Thread