HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXXV: Hold on to your butts

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

vCash: 500
Guess Mike Richards was spotted at our flight school looking to get lessons. Not sure why he's looking to learn how to fly while his team is currently in the playoffs..

Old
05-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Coy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Guess Mike Richards was spotted at our flight school looking to get lessons. Not sure why he's looking to learn how to fly while his team is currently in the playoffs..
So he can become and airline pilot when he is inevitably out of the league in 4 years?

Old
05-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

One of my coworkers sounds like Tommy Wiseau

Old
05-16-2014, 01:03 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
who will be seeing Godzilla this weekend?

Old
05-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
This mama jama

Old
05-16-2014, 02:20 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

I will be watching it tomorrow morning.

Old
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

matt_nieto 11:02am via Twitter for iPhone i want to be this happy one day youtu.be/6lutNECOZFw

Old
05-16-2014, 07:12 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
matt_nieto 11:02am via Twitter for iPhone i want to be this happy one day youtu.be/6lutNECOZFw
Why would a railroad aficionado(or train enthusiast) not know who T.C. Durant is?

Last edited by bluefunnel: 05-16-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old
05-16-2014, 07:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
who will be seeing Godzilla this weekend?
Just got back from seeing it. It drags a little bit as they take their sweet time building up to Godzilla (somewhat in keeping with the original 1954 movie) and the people are at times guilty of typical movie logic/stupidity (also the main guy, the one from kick-ass, has the inhuman durability typical of an action movie) but pretty much all of that is forgiven when you get to the last 40 minutes of the movie. AKA the part that is GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN.

The first 2/3rds of the movie are probably a wavering 7-6.5/10, but the whole last act is so freaking awesome. And they did Godzilla right. He feels rightfully huge and imposing and invulnerable/unconcerned with the humans and he is having none of this **** that's going on. And again:

GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN

Seriously, Pacific Rim can suck it.

The only other complaint is that their word for monsters (MUTO, which stands for... I don't even remember now. Monster of Unknown Terrestrial Origin or something like that) starts sounding kind of silly after the 5th or 6th time someone says it. And they say it a lot. And maybe at times it was just a bit too dark, which I get the reasoning for. It just made it hard to see clearly sometimes. I could also see how it might make the 3D problematic (I didn't bother with 3D. I never do)

Also it's amazing how the Bay Area looks in no way like downtown Vancouver and the BC coastline.

And Elizabeth Olsen is super cute.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-16-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old
05-16-2014, 07:27 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

It's probably a good thing that my wife and I decided to watch it in an indoor theater rather than the drive in. Dark movies can be a bit more difficult to follow at the drive in. We also never see 3D(I can't) so that's a plus as well.

Old
05-16-2014, 07:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunnel View Post
It's probably a good thing that my wife and I decided to watch it in an indoor theater rather than the drive in. Dark movies can be a bit more difficult to follow at the drive in. We also never see 3D(I can't) so that's a plus as well.
A lot of scenes in San Vancouvco take place at night so the only light that's around are from fires or flashlights and whatnot. I can see how it would be harder to follow at a drive-in where the projection won't be quite as crisp and there will be more ambient light.

The other thing I found interesting is that a lot of the scenes in the trailers turn out to have been altered or re-cut so that when they are in the actual movie, you see things that weren't there or were happening differently than the trailer. And I don't just mean they jumbled the scenes up or cut together lines (for example, Bryan Cranston's narmy "send us back to the stone age!" rant from the trailer is actually like 3 separate bits of dialogue pulled together for the trailer VO). I mean visual details are wholly different.

but still:

GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN

Old
05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
A lot of scenes in San Vancouvco take place at night so the only light that's around are from fires or flashlights and whatnot. I can see how it would be harder to follow at a drive-in where the projection won't be quite as crisp and there will be more ambient light.

The other thing I found interesting is that a lot of the scenes in the trailers turn out to have been altered or re-cut so that when they are in the actual movie, you see things that weren't there or were happening differently than the trailer. And I don't just mean they jumbled the scenes up or cut together lines (for example, Bryan Cranston's narmy "send us back to the stone age!" rant from the trailer is actually like 3 separate bits of dialogue pulled together for the trailer VO). I mean visual details are wholly different.

but still:

GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN
So, so excited! We're heading up to SJ next weekend to watch in in IMAX. As for now, it's a Godzilla marathon tonight and tomorrow

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
05-16-2014, 08:23 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Lucky. I wanted to watch in Imax, but there was no non-3D Imax option.

Best individual bit of the Glorious Kaiju Smackdown was easy:

Spoil:
Big G has his atomic breath. The lead-up to the first use gives you more than enough time to realize it's coming and get pumped.

The one minor fanboy disappointment I had aside from the nitpicks I mentioned was that there were pics of director Gareth Edwards in Vancouver standing next to Akira Takarada, who was the lead in the 1954 movie. I was really hoping Takarada would have a cameo in the movie, but alas he's nowhere to be found.

If I had to identify where the movie really picks up, it's when you get to the scene on the bay bridge (it's raining at that time). They still pull a couple of teases with Godzilla afterwards, but for the most part, the majority of that point on is a huge love letter to classic Kaiju fans.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-16-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old
05-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Quote:
Just got back from seeing it. It drags a little bit as they take their sweet time building up to Godzilla (somewhat in keeping with the original 1954 movie) and the people are at times guilty of typical movie logic/stupidity (also the main guy, the one from kick-ass, has the inhuman durability typical of an action movie) but pretty much all of that is forgiven when you get to the last 40 minutes of the movie. AKA the part that is GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN.

The first 2/3rds of the movie are probably a wavering 7-6.5/10, but the whole last act is so freaking awesome. And they did Godzilla right. He feels rightfully huge and imposing and invulnerable/unconcerned with the humans and he is having none of this **** that's going on. And again:

GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN

The only other complaint is that their word for monsters (MUTO, which stands for... I don't even remember now. Monster of Unknown Terrestrial Origin or something like that) starts sounding kind of silly after the 5th or 6th time someone says it. And they say it a lot. And maybe at times it was just a bit too dark, which I get the reasoning for. It just made it hard to see clearly sometimes. I could also see how it might make the 3D problematic (I didn't bother with 3D. I never do)

Also it's amazing how the Bay Area looks in no way like downtown Vancouver and the BC coastline.

Pretty sure that's Aaron Taylor-Johnson you are thinking of.

Old
05-16-2014, 09:08 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Pretty sure that's Aaron Taylor-Johnson you are thinking of.
yeah, I just couldn't remember his name.

Old
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

As long as I live, I will never remember that guys' name.

He will forever be the guy from kick-ass.

Old
05-16-2014, 10:26 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunnel View Post
As long as I live, I will never remember that guys' name.

He will forever be the guy from kick-ass.

Old
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

So its nem vs everyone else Everyone I've heard says Pacific Rim > Gojira

Old
05-16-2014, 10:39 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Robot Jox > Pacific Rim

Old
05-16-2014, 10:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
So its nem vs everyone else Everyone I've heard says Pacific Rim > Gojira
Those people are insane. Pacific Rim was baaaad. It was the worst kind of mediocre.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Pavelski2112
Bold as Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Robot Jox > Pacific Rim

Quote:
Those people are insane. Pacific Rim was baaaad. It was the worst kind of mediocre.
I don't think Pacific Rim was that bad. It was schlocky in a great way at times. Also, Charlie Day is fantastic.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Pacific Rim was great. I don't know what you're talking about.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Pacific Rim was dope the only reason im seeing Godzilla is to support Gareth Edwards so he can make more awesome movies, preferablly better paced ones with better actors.

Old
05-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Gojira tomorrow with my daughter and nephew. I hope for giant lizard madness.

Old
05-17-2014, 12:25 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:

GLORIOUS KAIJU SMACKDOWN

I saw the movie Thursday night. Was a serviceable b movie that captured the tone of what I thought a Godzilla movie should be, but could really have been paired down by a half hour or so. There were way too many characters, most of whom as boring and thinly drawn but surprisingly played by good actors wasted in small pointless roles. The gimmicky plot was pure b movie crap with the main character miraculously right in the middle of every major piece of action, but was done seamlessly enough and competently enough that it worked. The non stop lengthy exposition and build up was very much in keeping with the Japanese originals for better or worse. All that said, the Kaiju action was pretty good, the really captured the spirit of how Godzilla should look, feel, and fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
Pacific Rim was dope the only reason im seeing Godzilla is to support Gareth Edwards so he can make more awesome movies, preferablly better paced ones with better actors.
Yeah I didn't think Pacific Rim was bad, it felt slightly half baked but still a love letter to giant robots and monsters and Charlie Day was fun. I was a big fan of Gareth Edwards's Monsters, hoping at the very least the movie is successful so he keeps making more big monster movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Robot Jox > Pacific Rim
I like both those movies! Stuart Gordon is a great director of schlock, his pulp movies are fun and very fleshed out even when they look cheesy and are limited by budget.

Last edited by KirbyDots: 05-17-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Closed Thread