HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiver Draft Underway

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 08:25 AM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
Waiver Draft Underway

Travis Green picked up by Columbus.

TSN Article

Anyone heard of other pickups?

Old
10-03-2003, 08:39 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Montreal got Begin...and atlanta for Petrovicky

Old
10-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Yanner39

Oilers lose Valiquette

Old
10-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Oilers lose Valiquette
Just great. Now who do they have if Conklin or Salo were to get injured? :mad:

Old
10-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Fender

I heard as well that we lost Thompson to Philly. I also heard the Valiquette to Florida rumour. Sorry, no links as of yet. Will post when I find one.

Old
10-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender
I heard as well that we lost Thompson to Philly. I also heard the Valiquette to Florida rumour. Sorry, no links as of yet. Will post when I find one.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...66&hubName=nhl

Valiquette is indeed gone. No link for Thompson yet.

Old
10-03-2003, 10:19 AM
IceDragoon

WAIVER DRAFT RESULTS

20 PLAYERS CLAIMED IN 2003-04 NHL WAIVER DRAFT

NEW YORK (Oct. 3, 2003) -- Twenty players changed clubs as a result of the 2002-2003 NHL Waiver Draft, held today via conference via conference call. Following is a list of the players claimed, in order of their selection:

Player (Position) Claimed By Claimed From
Nolan Baumgartner (D) Pittsburgh Vancouver
Travis Green (F) Columbus Toronto
Petr Tenkrat (F) Toronto Columbus
Wade Brookbank (F) Nashville Ottawa
Serge Aubin (F) Atlanta Colorado
Darren Langdon (F) Montreal Vancouver
Sheldon Keefe (F) New York Rangers Tampa Bay
Chris Mason (G) Nashville Florida
Ronald Petrovicky (F) Atlanta New York Rangers
Steve Begin (F) Montreal Buffalo
Brian Willsie (F) Washington Colorado
Todd Simpson (D) Anaheim Phoenix
Jeff Heerema (F) St. Louis New York Rangers
Steve Valiquette (G) Florida Edmonton
Shawn Heins (D) Atlanta New York Rangers
Joel Bouchard (D) New York Rangers Buffalo
Denis Hamel (F) Washington Ottawa
Glen Metropolit (F) Ottawa Washington
Jani Hurme (G) Carolina Florida
Mike Siklenka (F) New York Rangers Philadelphia

Does that mean it's over?

Old
10-03-2003, 10:22 AM
jofa

bad idea to expose Valiquette. Frustrating to lose him. I can understand it if Lowe planned to be a player in the waiver draft (i.e. intranuovo), but it doesn't sound like Edmonton made any moves... When I saw him at training camp, he looked like he was a pretty decent goalie prospect. Ah well... what can you do?

Old
10-03-2003, 10:35 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

And we didn't select anyone to take his place. JF Damphousse anyone?

Old
10-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
bad idea to expose Valiquette. Frustrating to lose him. I can understand it if Lowe planned to be a player in the waiver draft (i.e. intranuovo), but it doesn't sound like Edmonton made any moves... When I saw him at training camp, he looked like he was a pretty decent goalie prospect. Ah well... what can you do?
There wasn't a choice in the matter, a team can only protect a max of 2 goalies, so Salo and Clunker got the nod and Valiquette got the short straw.

I just can't fathom why Lowe didn't pick Hurme after Valiquette was taken. He had first dibs I think.

Old
10-03-2003, 10:54 AM
FacelessButcher

So is Glenn Fischer Deslauriers new back-up? If Deslauriers gets injured I think our farm team is toast. If Salo were to get injured *shivers* we would be Sooooo.... screwed its not even funny... . Kind of wished we grabbed Hurme since we get first cracks at him according to the rules but he does make $1.1million which is a little pricey and we did promise Conklin the back up job. I think the rules stipulates something about the team that loses a player gets $50,000 for the transaction if they choose not to pick up whoever was displaced by the trade is that true?

Old
10-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
So is Glenn Fischer Deslauriers new back-up? If Deslauriers gets injured I think our farm team is toast. If Salo were to get injured *shivers* we would be Sooooo.... screwed its not even funny... .
Deslauriers is in the Juniors and Fisher's in college. Neither of them will be on the Roadrunners. If things stay the way they are, the goaltending on the farm will be Antila and Morrison (not necessarily in that order).

Old
10-03-2003, 11:46 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Valiquette would have had to clear waivers to get to the Roadrunners anyway. It's disappointing that we lost him, but I don't see what option there was.

Rick Dudley, on the other hand, appears to be the biggest frickin' idiot in the NHL.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Rick Dudley, on the other hand, appears to be the biggest frickin' idiot in the NHL.
I know. Regardless of how Valiquette plays in Florida, the fact remains he got freaking NOTHING for Jani Hurme. Man, I'm sure more than a few teams would at least be willing to pay something for him. Atlanta sure did. Rick Dudley go to the corner.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:53 AM
jofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
There wasn't a choice in the matter, a team can only protect a max of 2 goalies, so Salo and Clunker got the nod and Valiquette got the short straw.

I just can't fathom why Lowe didn't pick Hurme after Valiquette was taken. He had first dibs I think.
yeah, i forgot about the two goalie rule. I'm confident that Conklin will be able to perform well as Salo's backup, but as others have mentioned, are we a little too thin if injuries start piling up? Just thinking about the St Louis situation last season, where they ended putting something like 7 different goalies in net due mostly to injuries.

Also, I imagine that Valiquette was going to be a big part of the Roadrunners goaltending situation. Do we have someone to backstop along with Deslauriers in T.O.? Is Antilla still around?

Old
10-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Lowetide

This is confusing. Dudley is an idiot, there's no doubt, but it seems to me he may have the rules on his side. Early in the draft, he lost Chris Mason. THAT means he doesn't lose another goalie, right?

My understanding of the draft is you can lose only one goalie. If that is the case, then this MAY have been some kind of pre-determined deal.

As for Edmonton's role in this, well it certainly looks like they passed on an outstanding goalie. IF they had a chance at him, and didn't take him, it would be at the very least short sighted.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:58 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
Also, I imagine that Valiquette was going to be a big part of the Roadrunners goaltending situation. Do we have someone to backstop along with Deslauriers in T.O.? Is Antilla still around?
Deslauriers is back in Juniors I believe. He won't be up with the AHL team until next season.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
This is confusing. Dudley is an idiot, there's no doubt, but it seems to me he may have the rules on his side. Early in the draft, he lost Chris Mason. THAT means he doesn't lose another goalie, right?

My understanding of the draft is you can lose only one goalie. If that is the case, then this MAY have been some kind of pre-determined deal.

As for Edmonton's role in this, well it certainly looks like they passed on an outstanding goalie. IF they had a chance at him, and didn't take him, it would be at the very least short sighted.
But the Panthers lost two goaltenders. They also lost Hurme.

10-03-2003, 12:07 PM
momentai

Quote:
Yeah.. it's great that Lowe has such faith in Conklin. But Hurme is definitely the better goaltender... Heck, he could even be a number 1 given sufficient opportunity to handle the reins. To pass on him for a mere 50k just makes me shake my head.

Hurme was a guy that some people were throwing around as a possibility to replace Salo... to think we could have gotten him for nothing...

Old
10-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
But the Panthers lost two goaltenders. They also lost Hurme.
Okay, I know I'm not making sense, but hear me out. The Waiver draft starts, and early on Florida loses Chris Mason. Knowing he can only lose one goalie, Dudley basically has a free shot.

He settles on Valiquette. Lowe, knowing that the Panthers don't have to give up another goalie, takes his money.

Later in the draft, a claim IS put in (I understand by Carolina, originally).

Dudley just has to say NO, as I understand it, right? At the very worst, he might have to move Valiquette off of his roster. Is that about right?

He decides he'll move him, whatever the reason.

I know we're splitting hairs here, but imo one could make a case that Hurme may not have been available to the Oilers, or at least it wasn't obvious he would be available to them.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Okay, I know I'm not making sense, but hear me out. The Waiver draft starts, and early on Florida loses Chris Mason. Knowing he can only lose one goalie, Dudley basically has a free shot.

He settles on Valiquette. Lowe, knowing that the Panthers don't have to give up another goalie, takes his money.
Yeah, according to TSN, once Mason was picked, Dudley did not have to give up Hurme, although he chose to in the end. Maybe it was just a case of Lowe assuming they wouldn't give up Hurme? Anyway, this is from TSN:

"First, the Panthers lost goaltender Chris Mason, third on their depth chart, to the Nashville Predators. That was a straightforward transaction. Mason was available; Nashville took him.

In an apparent effort to re-stock their minor-league goaltending, the Panthers claimed netminder Steve Valiquette from the Edmonton Oilers. But after taking Valiquette, the Panthers were told they would have to drop one of their two protected goalies - either Roberto Luongo or Jani Hurme. They chose Hurme.

Atlanta apparently put in a claim on Hurme, but it was ruled the Thrashers weren't eligible to take him at that point of the draft. Ultimately, the Carolina Hurricanes selected him and traded him to Atlanta for a fourth-round pick.

That leaves the Thrashers with Byron Dafoe, Pasi Nurminen, Kari Lehtonen and Hurme on their netminding depth chart.

While it looks as though the Panthers lost their No. 2 goalie on a technicality, sources said Florida, prior to Carolina's selection, had the option of re-installing Hurme on their protected list, but opted not to. No team can lose two goalies but the Panthers decided to go ahead and let Carolina take Hurme."

Old
10-03-2003, 12:29 PM
momentai

Quote:
I know we're splitting hairs here, but imo one could make a case that Hurme may not have been available to the Oilers, or at least it wasn't obvious he would be available to them.
So could this be a case of Lowe and the Oilers not knowing the rules well enough?

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:41 PM
MrMackey

Why is everyone saying that the Oilers had the first shot at Hurme? they didn't get to select any players in the first round, and it looks like Carolina took him as the first pick in the second round. Hurme was long gone before Edmonton had the chance to pick their first guy... or am I way off on this one?

I'm glad the Oilers didn't take some of the other junk available.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:15 PM
itsmagic

I must agree with MrMackey. With the 31st pick, the Oilers had no chance at Hurme. Ya gotta wait your turn.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Lowetide

I don't know, Mr. Mackey. I mean, Toronto lost Green and got to pick the player that was dropped, right?

I just think that Lowe thought there was no way he could take the goalie. MAYBE Dudley even said no, then said yes when Atlanta put in a claim because they had a pre-arranged deal.

Maybe Lowe went to the can, I dont know. Whatever the reason, I would hope if someone had said 'Edmonton do you want Hurme', they would have said yes.

Closed Thread