HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs claim Tenkrat

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Transplanted Caper

vCash: 500
Leafs claim Tenkrat

The Leafs claimed Peter Tenkrat, an rfa, from Columbus who was forcd to leave him unprotected after they claimed Travis Green. Its on tsn.ca, it part of the article on Green.
IF THEY CAN SIGN HIM I THINK ITS A GOOD MOVE

Old
10-03-2003, 11:03 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
I'm not sure why they would pick up Tenkrat.Both Anaheim and Nashville which needed offensive production have let him go.I just done see alot to like except that he's only 26 years old.I'd rather see Stajan or Poni take Greens spot in the line-up.Poni because he's earned a regular role and Stajan because he's had such a strong camp.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Better question is. Who do the Leafs expose now?

Old
10-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I'm not sure why they would pick up Tenkrat.Both Anaheim and Nashville which needed offensive production have let him go.I just done see alot to like except that he's only 26 years old.I'd rather see Stajan or Poni take Greens spot in the line-up.Poni because he's earned a regular role and Stajan because he's had such a strong camp.
From my knowledge, Tenkrat is in Europe again this year.

This would be a move for next year, where we could bring Tenkrat over and give him a chance to give us an injection of offense. Tenkrat is a pretty talented player and used to be one of Anaheim's top prospects. He's had his chances, but still you never know.

It's a nice pick up IMO, worth a shot IMO.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:10 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Better question is. Who do the Leafs expose now?
There was some reason why they didn't need to expose anyone. It has something to do with the fact that Green had just been claimed, but I don't understand the particulars.

In any case, they have nothing to lose by grabbing Tenkrat.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:24 PM
darrylsittler27

goodbye 1.6 million

The leafs shed 1.6 million us today and tried to shed 3 million plus(reichel).Green for better or for worse was replacable at 1.6 million,in fact was replaced by the 2 million nieuwey upgrade.We traded green and 400k for nieuwendyk..SOLD!Cutting green was making room for some youth,and if reichel gets picked up there is more room.Reichel last on contract ,and no one wants him,not even toronto.What does it mean,Reichel is the most overpayed player in the nhl and because we cant dump him,we cant afford a number one defenseman...OUCH!Thanks greenie you played well in the playoffs but not so much in the reg.Time for some Youth.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Epoch

bad move by the Leafs.

The Leafs have capable players of filling a hole (Perrott,Poni,etc.)

Old
10-03-2003, 03:13 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by w17glen
your KIDDIN ..tenkrat's terrible .. i'm a huge leafs fan and always take a beating by wings fans saying how little knowledge we know as leaf fans . then i came on this site and realized what they been saying.. HOMERS LISTEN UP .. tenkrat is not a good player if you are counting on him to take us to the cup your on drugs 2nd.. ponikarovsky IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER CAUSE IF HE WAS HE WOULD DO SOMETHING IN THE GAMES which has been nothing
sounds like your on drugs.Tenkrat has alot of potential he reminds me of berezin/bure combination he didn't make it with nashville and columbus because of his defensive defencies but if kovalchuk can get away with it.Columbus didn't want to get rid of him but really had no choice after they picked up green.To tell you the truth the leafs didn't lose in the transaction,boston got a pretty good servicable player though here in Toronto stajan and others started to out play him.Columbus must have lost it they basically got a 6th for tenkrat and he could fetch alot more.By the way bone head of the day goes to dudley what was he on.Luongo will now start 75 plus games with no servicable back up

Old
10-03-2003, 04:11 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i think they just took tenkrat of columbus, to punish the blue jackets for taking green.

you took our guy?
whoa hoa.. then we'll take one of yours!

Old
10-03-2003, 05:47 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
The Leafs claimed Peter Tenkrat, an rfa, from Columbus who was forcd to leave him unprotected after they claimed Travis Green. Its on tsn.ca, it part of the article on Green.
IF THEY CAN SIGN HIM I THINK ITS A GOOD MOVE
Was that all they claimed......geez.....it's as if they didn't do anything at all.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:02 PM
jaybone87

Quote:
Originally Posted by w17glen
your KIDDIN ..tenkrat's terrible .. i'm a huge leafs fan and always take a beating by wings fans saying how little knowledge we know as leaf fans . then i came on this site and realized what they been saying.. HOMERS LISTEN UP .. tenkrat is not a good player if you are counting on him to take us to the cup your on drugs 2nd.. ponikarovsky IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER CAUSE IF HE WAS HE WOULD DO SOMETHING IN THE GAMES which has been nothing
Hey, tool listen up. I bet you have never seen the guy play. He can score but he can get knocked around thats why a guy like domi or perrot would be useful on his line. As for Poni I dont think you can judge how hes played when he hasnt even played a full season in the NHL and when he has hes been on a checking line and hes looked like a good two way player to me.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
3mta3

It is highly unlikely that Tenkrat will every play in North America again. He's been tried, and he just doesn't have it. The only reason that Tenkrat was not protected initially was so MacLean could unprotect him if the Jackets were active. I have to wonder if it wasn't done intentionally to try to make Tenkrat look a little more valuable than he really is.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3
It is highly unlikely that Tenkrat will every play in North America again. He's been tried, and he just doesn't have it. The only reason that Tenkrat was not protected initially was so MacLean could unprotect him if the Jackets were active. I have to wonder if it wasn't done intentionally to try to make Tenkrat look a little more valuable than he really is.
I have read this comment all day from posters..

It makes no SENSE to me... If they don't intend to keep him expose him, and put a player on your protected list that is more deserving...and then if you see something you like drop that player...

You don't protect worst players just to drop them...

Old
10-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
There was some reason why they didn't need to expose anyone. It has something to do with the fact that Green had just been claimed, but I don't understand the particulars.

In any case, they have nothing to lose by grabbing Tenkrat.
Toronto had teh option of taking 50 grand or the player that they were going to expose. They took the player.

I could be wrong but that is the way I heard it.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:04 PM
loveshack2

Even *if* Tenkrat never plays in North America again, it's still not a bad move. He's not signed so he costs you nothing. Myself I kinda like Tenkrat. He did well for Nashville 2yrs ago, maybe he'll play in St John's this year.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Skidley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
Toronto had teh option of taking 50 grand or the player that they were going to expose. They took the player.

I could be wrong but that is the way I heard it.
Fergie Jr. said it after the waiver draft was over. I saw it on the news.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:04 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

50 grand ?
you couldnt buy lunch at the royal york with that..

the only cool thing about tenkrat is his name.
what's his nickname, rinkrat, ten carrot ?

Old
10-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
50 grand ?
you couldnt buy lunch at the royal york with that..

the only cool thing about tenkrat is his name.
what's his nickname, rinkrat, ten carrot ?
I like the fact that they took a flyer on Tenkrat. He could always surprise and become a player. If not no big deal.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:50 AM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I have read this comment all day from posters..

It makes no SENSE to me... If they don't intend to keep him expose him, and put a player on your protected list that is more deserving...and then if you see something you like drop that player...

You don't protect worst players just to drop them...
Columbus went into the draft looking to gain a pick more than a player. If they wanted to make a move, they had to give someone up. If they had left everyone unprotected and made a move, they would have been forced to give someone up they wanted to keep.

Doing this with Petr was a way to make him look a little more attractive as well. If you HAVE to unprotect someone, others may think he's better than he really is. It seemed to have worked with people on this board, no?

I hope that helps to put it in some perspective.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Columbus went into the draft looking to gain a pick more than a player. If they wanted to make a move, they had to give someone up. If they had left everyone unprotected and made a move, they would have been forced to give someone up they wanted to keep.

Doing this with Petr was a way to make him look a little more attractive as well. If you HAVE to unprotect someone, others may think he's better than he really is. It seemed to have worked with people on this board, no?

I hope that helps to put it in some perspective.

I understand the point your are trying to make , about the team dropping a player that was not originally available ..may make it seem like he is better than the ones exposed earlier... thats fine ...there may be some truth to that..

but your first point I am missing something...

Each team can protect 18 skaters and 2 goalies.. Right..

Everybody is available that is eligible with in the waiver draft rules...

Columbus was willing to drop a player Tenkrat that is a RFA playing in Europe ..that costs them nothing financially,in order to pick up Green..

If they where willing to lose Tenkrat...why not expose him originally and then drop the player that was originally on the available list, who now would be on the protected list if he switched places with Tenkrat to get Green..

Logic would say that you protect the players you do not want to lose and if you see something better than fine drop one of your protected players, but while making the list Columbus did not know that Green would be available originally and made the trade with Boston later after the lists were made available to all teams... Thats when Columbus GM realized he could get a draft pick rather than a player ...

Here is Columbus list
.................................................. ..............................................
Columbus Blue Jackets

Protected

Andrew Cassels, F; Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, D; Espen Knutsen, F; Scott Lachance, D; Trevor Letowski, F; David Ling, F; Todd Marchant, F; Rick Nash, F; Luke Richardson, D; Geoff Sanderson, F; Jody Shelley, F; Jaroslav Spacek, D; Darryl Sydor, D; Petr Tenkrat, F; David Vyborny, F; Derrick Walser, D; Duvie Westcott, D; Tyler Wright, F; Fred Brathwaite, G; Marc Denis, G.

Available

Mark Hartigan, F; Don MacLean, F; Kent McDonell, F; Brad Moran, F; Sean Pronger, F; Jeremy Reich, F; Todd Rohloff, D; Darrel Scoville, D.
.................................................. ............................................

Columbus could just as easily protected hartigan or Pronger etc any one of these players available and then dropped them to take Green..

But Columbus thought that Tenkrat had more value then the ones they chose to expose...

What am I missing ... here??? Its not about money since Tenkrat is unsigned, and the available players do not have big contracts??

Old
10-04-2003, 03:35 PM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Columbus could just as easily protected hartigan or Pronger etc any one of these players available and then dropped them to take Green..

But Columbus thought that Tenkrat had more value then the ones they chose to expose...

What am I missing ... here??? Its not about money since Tenkrat is unsigned, and the available players do not have big contracts??
I see where you are coming from - you're just looking at it a little too straightforwardly. It was a bit of a devious ploy. "Take whatever you want, except THIS. What? You want this? Well, ok, I suppose so..."

At least that's how I see it. Even if I am totally wrong, the waiver draft went exactly how the front office wanted it to go. Pronger may be on the team this season, MacLean is in a great place for call up duty same as Macdonell and Hartigan. The others less so. Anyway, they did it like they did and got what they were looking for. Tenkrat for a 6th rounder - great deal.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I see where you are coming from - you're just looking at it a little too straightforwardly. It was a bit of a devious ploy. "Take whatever you want, except THIS. What? You want this? Well, ok, I suppose so..."

At least that's how I see it. Even if I am totally wrong, the waiver draft went exactly how the front office wanted it to go. Pronger may be on the team this season, MacLean is in a great place for call up duty same as Macdonell and Hartigan. The others less so. Anyway, they did it like they did and got what they were looking for. Tenkrat for a 6th rounder - great deal.
I thought that was my problem ...that I was looking at it too Straightforwardly...

That has got to be the most creative respose I have seen ..

"Take whatever you want, except THIS. What? You want this? Well, ok, I suppose so..."

I just thought I would ask you to explain but I saw it posted numerous times yet for the life of me I never understand it..

There were lots of lists that looked they where protecting players just for the sake of dropping them, yet those teams never pick anyone..

Strange

NO doubt getting a 6th round pick for Tenkrat was a good deal for Columbus, since he probably was never going to be in Jackets jersey again..

Old
10-04-2003, 04:59 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Tenkrat refuses to play in the AHL, that's why Nashville exposed him last year. MacLean picked him thinking he could play for the CBJ this season, but that was not meant to be. Getting a sixth round pick for someone who would never have had worn the jersey anyway seems like a good trade. Besides, we aren't in the position yet to pay Green 1.6 mil to center Shelley and Ling on the fourth line.

Closed Thread