HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst teams in the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
BrooklynRangerFan: Don't get too happy just yet. In the West, teams like Phoenix, L.A. (quick, who's their starting goalie?), St. Louis, Dallas and even Columbus might not wind up in the playoffs.

BTW I can't even imagine a way that Washington's kids step up that much.

And also, someone somewhere mentioned that San Jose might not be a good team or might miss the playoffs. I don't understand that at all. They have lost no one of any real value (except maybe Ricci) and that young team is only going to get better.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:29 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Don't be suprised if the St. Louis Blues challenge for worst team in the league. But Washington's defense looks terrible on paper. So they get my vote.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Fletch

Chief....

I think PHX will be fighting for a playoff spot, not a bottom 5 spot... The team'smproved and signed some two year contracts a couple years ago. The wildcard is Gretzky, and what his opinion of play would be,

Old
09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Chief

Fletch:

One of those signings by Phoenix was Brett Hull, who is shot at 41 years old. Two of the others were Nedved and Ricci, both of which are now 33 (not ancient but a drop off in play shouldn't be unexpected). That team could easily drop in the standings, although I do think the Cujo signing helps them.

Old
09-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Fletch

They could..

I just doubt it. Nedved will be used on a second line, and will be productive. Hull will not be on a top line, and will be produtive in his role. Defense is pretty good too. I don't see bottom five.

Old
09-07-2005, 04:01 PM
natureboy*

I still see three teams that are worse than the rangers (Washington, Minnesota and Carolina) I hope Eric Staal has a great year and can left them ahead of the rangers. Three teams that might struggle are toronto (Belfour, Allison and Lindros all old and brittle.) Florida (again old and brittle roster) and Buffalo.

Old
09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Chief

Not to belabor the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I just doubt it. Nedved will be used on a second line, and will be productive. Hull will not be on a top line, and will be produtive in his role. Defense is pretty good too. I don't see bottom five.
...but I'll belabor the point a bit more. I don't see why a team led by Doan (who I think is great), Nedved, Nagy and Hull should be looked at as much stronger than a team with Jagr, Nylander, Straka and Rucinsky. And, IMHO, their defense is rather unimpressive. I've always liked Morris but after him you've got Gauthier, Tanabe, Spiller, O'Donnell, Mara, Hulse and B. Ference. The younger guys might yet form the nucleus of a good group in the future but for this upcoming season, I look at that D and it does not scream playoff contender to me. I honestly don't know if it's better than the Rangers current defense.

In many ways, I think there's a lot of teams in the same boat. Having the largest free agent class ever has certainly spread out the talent and there are many teams who have holes in their lineups. Minnesota's another team who could be in for a rough season.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Old
09-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
I still see three teams that are worse than the rangers (Washington, Minnesota and Carolina) I hope Eric Staal has a great year and can left them ahead of the rangers. Three teams that might struggle are toronto (Belfour, Allison and Lindros all old and brittle.) Florida (again old and brittle roster) and Buffalo.
Allison is what, 27? And when did Florida get old? They're one of youngest teams in the league.

Old
09-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Phoenix will make the playoffs. They definately won't be bottom 5. You have to remember that in that bad season in 03/04 they lost many man-games to injury.

Old
09-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Chief

Hedberg: Phoenix wound up #13 in the West in the last NHL season. Not only would they have to improve over the 8 playoff teams that were ahead of them but they'd also have to leap frog Edmonton, Minnesota and Anaheim. At the same time they have to hope they don't get passed in the standings by Columbus and Chicago who finished below them last time around. I think Chicago makes the biggest jump in the standings this upcoming season.

I honestly believe that there will be many teams in the hunt for the playoffs this season and I think that it's likely that the there won't be much of a difference in the standings between the fifth worst team and those that get the final playoff spots.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner
Allison is what, 27? And when did Florida get old? They're one of youngest teams in the league.
Allison has concussion issues and is said to have been in worse shape than Lindros. As for Florida they signed Niuewendky, Roberts and another old vet whoose name escapes me. They do have somew young talent but their roster isn't overly impressive.

Old
09-08-2005, 09:10 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner
He is 30, not old , but not youngster anymore too.

Old
09-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
2005-2006 Projections:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. Ottawa
2. Philadelphia
3. Toronto
4. Pittsburgh
5. Atlanta
6. New Jersey
7. Florida
8. Islanders

5 WORST TEAMS
5. New York Rangers
4. Carolina
3. Nashville
2. Minnesota
1. Washington

P.S. Is it me or does Columbus have a SICK roster? Forget about the great signings of Berard and Foote ... their young core of Zherdev(RW) - Svitov (C) - Nash (LW) -Kesla (D) - Leclaire (G) should be the envy of Sather and his "rebuilding" Rangers. This is what the fruits of drafting top in the top 5 for a couple of years is all about people!
Your projections seem unrealistic on a number of accounts. First, Boston will be competing for the Northeast division lead with Ottawa. The Bruins had 102 points last time and they seem to have upgraded their personnel. Montreal will probably come in third because they have added Kovalev, Bonk, and Dandenault and have several fine prospects competing for forward positions (replacing has-beens and fringe players like Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Langdon, Ward, and Dowd). Toronto has enough weaknesses to imperil their playoff status. They have signed a collection of castoffs and a couple of players with a history of head injuries to replace Nieuwendyk, Roberts, and Mogilny. Belfour is 40. New Jersey has lost Niedermayer and Stevens and will have to dump other assets to get under the cap.

As for your worst teams, I think you underrate Nashville and Minnesota, both of which are much better than the Rangers, and at least one of them should finish ahead of St. Louis.

Old
09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55
I have 2 thoughts. First let it be known that i am an Islander fan. 1) the Rangers do look horrid, and for once I am happy to see it agreed upon that the islanders are the better team hands down. 2) I fully expect the islanders to drop 6 of 8 ot the rangers who seem to kick our *** for the past 3 seasons without any problem.
We will see your awful cocky. dont count on us to roll over.

Closed Thread