Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: The New Star Has Risen

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2014, 11:01 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Cole is eligible for a compliance buyout, but he would cost $1,333,333 each of the next 2 years.

Gonchar is not eligible for a compliance buyout, and he we cost $1,666,667 in cash and cap hit.

Free agency is rather week as is, and next year has some potential depending on re-signings. I'd push hard to retain 50% salary. I think you have a better shot at moving Cole than Gonchar though. Not carrying extra payroll or cash into 2015-16 would be an important goal though for me.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:04 AM
beepeearr

vCash: 500
I think how some of the kids perform in Texas during the playoffs could have an impact on what the roster looks like next season. If Ritchie or Oleksiak, maybe even Faksa, have strong playoffs I could see the Stars looking at them possibly earning a spot in training camp. If so, some moves will have to happen.
I do think they need to get Dillion back over to the left side, he just didn't look as good this year playing his off side.

No idea how though, if Daley and Goligoski are your top pairing and Nemeth and Dillion are your other LD where does Benn play. He looked really bad at RD last year at times, but much better on the LD this year, but Dillion wasn't as good. Do you keep them together hoping that Dillion continues to improve on the left side? This roster is going to be a puzzle this off season and I'm glad Nill is there to make the calls.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepeearr View Post
Pop into the off season thread, and every post is about Ali. You know what, I'm fine with her, she seems knowledgeable and she's a nice contrast to Ludwig and Severyn and she's not any of the horrible FSSW guys they've put out there in the past. So ask your self which would you rather have out there, her or the FSSW guys.
I'd sooner take Taco Cabana Girl than Ali Lucia.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Cole is eligible for a compliance buyout, but he would cost $1,333,333 each of the next 2 years.

Gonchar is not eligible for a compliance buyout, and he we cost $1,666,667 in cash and cap hit.

Free agency is rather week as is, and next year has some potential depending on re-signings. I'd push hard to retain 50% salary. I think you have a better shot at moving Cole than Gonchar though. Not carrying extra payroll or cash into 2015-16 would be an important goal though for me.
I doubt either one is moved this off-season.

No one wants a 40 year old Gonchar and I don't really want to move Cole. He is a useful asset that may be able to moved at the deadline if we aren't in the playoff hunt.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
Let's be honest she got better as the year went on though.
She's a lot better when she's doing non-live stuff like those game previews. She just talks normally. I don't know why a producer or whoever hasn't said to her to just talk normally and not do whatever the hell she's trying to do on Stars Live. I think it's an epic troll by her to see how long she can continue to get paid by talking like she's doing a SNL parody of a studio host.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:11 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post

No one wants a 40 year old Gonchar and I don't really want to move Cole. He is a useful asset that may be able to moved at the deadline if we aren't in the playoff hunt.
I doubt either is back, and they're bought out if they can't move them:

Quote:
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke

Dreger also said that there were rumblings this season about Ruff having issues with veterans like Ray Whitney and Sergei Gonchar
Quote:
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke

Mentioned that is was an ongoing problem but both sides decided to put things aside for the playoffs.
Cole's the one I'd give you that could be back, but there's no way Gonchar is back. You can't improve the D and keep him on the team. If Gonchar stays, you already have 7 D under contract (Dillon technically not under contract, but he's a RFA so no issue there). You actually have 8 with Rome.

Speaking of ... he's compliance eligible, and he'd only cost $500,000 over 2 seasons. No brainer ...

Old
04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Isn't it funny that Ruff's reputation was having issues with younger player but by the end of the year we hear he's had issues with the vets?

Whitney and Gonchar were a complete embarrassment all year.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-28-2014, 11:17 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
"Issues" being they didn't want to be held accountable for their ****** play. Ruff gave Whitney so many chances to earn his spot back. What a joke.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Whitney just didn't seem to give a crap at all this season probably when he realized his skills had left him. Hearing that he had issues with the coach I'm shocked he wasn't scratched more.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
BigG44

Back to Cole though .... you have no way of improving by keeping him. So again ... do you want to keep Gonchar and Cole .... roll out the same line up we saw last year .... or do you want to improve? I'm going to be more than a little annoyed if Nill's answer is lets roll with the same group. I don't see how that would be an acceptable decision.

With those 2 guys, you already have ....

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Cole-X-Chiasson
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
X-Horcoff-Sceviour

*With how much Peverley is on the ice right with the team, I'm really starting to believe he plays again.

Goligoski-Daley
Benn-Dillon
Nemeth-Gonchar/Connauton
Gonchar/connauton

.... and there's no way they pay $5 to play Gonchar as a 7. He's either in the Top 6 or bought out.

When you start saying we can't move these two guys, you're bringing back the exact same team essentially or your trading better players in Chiasson or whoever and keeping downgrades.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Whitney just didn't seem to give a crap at all this season probably when he realized his skills had left him. Hearing that he had issues with the coach I'm shocked he wasn't scratched more.
To defend Whitney's perspective a bit, keep in mind he's used to be a first line guy with #1 PP time. He saw his ice time drop dramatically, and he was relegated to mop up PP duty. He's going to say his numbers have dropped because his opportunities have dropped.

I'm not defending his play, but that's how these guys think.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
If Cole, Gonchar and Rome aren't bought out, Nill has made a grave error.

Whitney needs to go as well.

The only one that has proven he can come back is Horcoff.

It's a young man's game. If they can't prove they can hack it with the high energy kids hitting the rink, they're done. If they can't mesh with the locker room, they're done here.

I blame Modano for this, though.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:35 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
To defend Whitney's perspective a bit, keep in mind he's used to be a first line guy with #1 PP time. He saw his ice time drop dramatically, and he was relegated to mop up PP duty. He's going to say his numbers have dropped because his opportunities have dropped.

Whitney never played mop up PP time until the final game of the playoffs. He played the point on the top PP when he was healthy outside of a few times late in games when they wanted two defenders for extra protection.

He may not have been getting top line minutes, not that he ever showed he deserved them this year, but that dude got plenty of excellent PP time. Didn't do much with it.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
BigG44

Whitney was 5th in PP TOI Average in the regular season and scored 15 points (3 G). He had 0 points and was 4th in PP TOI Average in the playoffs.

This is how many offensive vets are handled so he has nothing to be pissed at except himself for not performing this year. Reduced ES time with plenty of PP time is a fair, common practice. Screw him if he's upset.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Zrhutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post

It's something I like to call Michael Young Syndrome. Old guys who have already shut down, but think they can still produce at a high level and get upset when people try to diminish their role.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:

Your definition of useful and mine vary greatly. He had a couple of hot streaks but for the most part he was fast, somewhat physical and a complete mess trying to receive the puck or shooting it. Much rather open up a spot than watch him spare around the ice then pout when he's scratched again.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
It's something I like to call Michael Young Syndrome. Old guys who have already shut down, but think they can still produce at a high level and get upset when people try to diminish their role.
This is it exactly. Though I usually call it sports ego. The idea that I was good to great and a vet means I should play no matter how bad I am this year. I earned it, no matter that it's made the team worse and bringing everyone around me down too. I'm *insert name here* dammit I demand my place.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:14 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I think it's safe to say Whitney is as good as gone. If I were Nil, I'd buy out Gonchar and Rome. And let all the UFA walk.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Cole-x-Chiasson
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Peverley(if he is ready)-Horcoff-Sceviour

Daley-Goligoski
Dillon-x
Nemeth-Benn

Realistically speaking, this is how I see our lineup shaping up. I can even see Nil trading Cole for very cheap and replacing him with someone from FA.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

What's a realistic return for Cole? A mid round pick? B prospect if we retain salary? I know we're not going to go completely young but it's an option if FA doesn't work out.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Peverley-Spooner-Garbutt
Roussel-Eakin-Glennie
McKenzie-Horcoff-Sceviour

Now before people freak out. I'm open to either of Sceviour and Garbutt moved up but keep in mind Sceviour isn't as good a skater and like him or not Garbutt shoots the puck and scores. I would hope Ritchie can make the roster and take that spot but if they want to wait, I can understand that. Glennie's become a good checker and can certainly skate so he's an option as is McKenzie to start on that 4th line and hope he can move up as the season goes on.

It's certainly not the most glamorous roster/lineup but adding a 2C and just getting rid of the terrible vets is a huge step forward. They can evaluate who's part of the future and move out a young guy at the deadline if they feel a better player is available.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
BigG44

I don't know if this is pipe dream or off-season, but I think I'm just going to post mostly in off-season:

Going the AHL route ....

One of the top goal scorers this season was Teemu Pulkkinen with Grand Rapids (a Detroit draft pick).

Clendening with Rockford (Chicago pick) seems like the most interesting D. He's probably the most NHL ready D in all of the AHL, and he could have an impact immediately.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
What's a realistic return for Cole? A mid round pick? B prospect if we retain salary? I know we're not going to go completely young but it's an option if FA doesn't work out.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Peverley-Spooner-Garbutt
Roussel-Eakin-Glennie

Now before people freak out. I'm open to either of Sceviour and Garbutt moved up but keep in mind Sceviour isn't as good a skater and like him or not Garbutt shoots the puck and scores. I would hope Ritchie can make the roster and take that spot but if they want to wait, I can understand that. Glennie's become a good checker and can certainly skate so he's an option as is McKenzie to start on that 4th line and hope he can move up as the season goes on.

It's certainly not the most glamorous roster/lineup but adding a 2C and just getting rid of the terrible vets is a huge step forward. They can evaluate who's part of the future and move out a young guy at the deadline if they feel a better player is available.
I think that would be a step down from this year if we were to roll with this forward group.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Peverley-Spooner-Garbutt
Roussel-Eakin-Glennie

You just love Spooner...so does Boston. Keep wishing on that one.
Spooner wouldn't be a number 2 center here either.

I haven't really thought about who you get as a #2 but I have to think Nill has and is working the phones already on guys, whether it be a d-man or a #2 center. I doubt he gets a guy like Paul S in Colorado, who I think will just stay with the Avs.

There's a lot of inexperience in your line-up too but that is how Detroit has done things so if Nill is following the Detroit model so be it. I don't know if that's a forward lineup that gets you into the playoffs.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:41 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I haven't really thought about who you get as a #2 but I have to think Nill has and is working the phones already on guys, whether it be a d-man or a #2 center.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but I don't believe Nill will be forced to choose between a center or a defenseman. I think he will add both.

I think he'll probably be unable to get a top pair D like they need, but he'll at least get an improvement over Gonchar. Ideally, it must be someone who can push Goligoski off the top PP or at least make him the 2nd option on the point.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying, but I don't believe Nill will be forced to choose between a center or a defenseman. I think he will add both.

I think he'll probably be unable to get a top pair D like they need, but he'll at least get an improvement over Gonchar. Ideally, it must be someone who can push Goligoski off the top PP or at least make him the 2nd option on the point.
Where do I sign? I'll play.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Ali Lucia is not hot. She is bad..at....speaking. She doesn't know hockey. Even her on set wardrobe is terrible. This isn't Oklahoma City, we deserve better.

All UFA's walk. I don't think any of our RFA's are going to break the bank, though Dillon is in line for a hefty raise I would assume.

Needs in no particular order:

- Higher level backup goalie
- #2 center
- Top 6 winger
- 1 or 2 top 4 D-men, preferably at least one right hander

Backup goalie is the only one that is a technical "must" because we don't have one under contract. The others are all things we need but likely won't all come in one offseason. All of those are serious needs and would help the cause going forward. We could also use a boost from in-house guys in depth positions but should not count on them for production.

Closed Thread