HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Langdon, Baumgartner gone

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Look forward to seeing Langdon playing in Montreal....from what I have heard here he is a solid tough guy who brings size, character and grit.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Look forward to seeing Langdon playing in Montreal....from what I have heard here he is a solid tough guy who brings size, character and grit.

He is basically Dwyer with more experience and fighting skill. His salary is cheap so it is a good pick up for Montreal.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:31 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
He is basically Dwyer with more experience and fighting skill. His salary is cheap so it is a good pick up for Montreal.
He is also a good character player, which always helps as far as the dressing room is concerned.....he is a good team player from what I have heard from some Canuck fans

Old
10-03-2003, 03:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
He is also a good character player, which always helps as far as the dressing room is concerned.....he is a good team player from what I have heard from some Canuck fans

Of course he has good charater, that is single biggest asset that maintain his employment in the NHL. He is one of the best cheerleaders around.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
True, but that group will be behind the Reid, King, Kesler group so a callup is a possibility, but not a great one. I just see him over-hyped, IMO, on this board and was wondering aloud what the big deal was.
With Langdon gone, I think King starts the season with the Canucks, even if Keane is signed. I do agree that the Kesler's and Reid's are likely to be called up first.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:39 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Of course he has good charater, that is single biggest asset that maintain his employment in the NHL. He is one of the best cheerleaders around.
No need to diss the guy just because he is no longer on the canucks

Old
10-03-2003, 03:46 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
With Langdon gone, I think King starts the season with the Canucks, even if Keane is signed. I do agree that the Kesler's and Reid's are likely to be called up first.
Agreed. The point was he is another prospect that will get NHL games before Bouck.

My post wasn't necessarily directed at your response even though I quoted you. Just looking for why people are so relieved he didn't get taken in the waiver draft, and why he is so highly touted on this board?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
That and his fighting. That is really all that has kept him in the NHL. Besides, how is saying that Langdon is a great guy/team player a diss?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:48 PM
MVP

Quote:

Well... those are his major assets, good team player who will cheer the other players on and create a positive atmosphere in the locker room. And his on ice ability is his fighting skill. i mean what you expect, a sniper who scores 20 goals?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
My post wasn't necessarily directed at your response even though I quoted you. Just looking for why people are so relieved he didn't get taken in the waiver draft, and why he is so highly touted on this board?

The only explanation I can give you is that he was a highly regarded WHL player(played for Prince George) and was a key member of Team Canada at the WJC's a few years back(I think he was the captain, possibly two years in a row). Bouck has a lot of history in BC and was a solid WHL player, perhaps people still hold out hope that he can become a decent NHL'er, which he still could become, just not likely with Vancouver.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:52 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The only explanation I can give you is that he was a highly regarded WHL player(played for Prince George) and was a key member of Team Canada at the WJC's a few years back(I think he was the captain, possibly two years in a row). Bouck has a lot of history in BC and was a solid WHL player, perhaps people still hold out hope that he can become a decent NHL'er, which he still could become, just not likely with Vancouver.
Yeah, I read your post earlier. Makes sense. I need to quit quoting you and then asking a general question

I would be interested in hearing some other fans opinions on this too.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Yeah, I read your post earlier. Makes sense. I need to quit quoting you and then asking a general question

I would be interested in hearing some other fans opinions on this too.
The only explanation I can give you is...

I'll just shut-up now...

Old
10-03-2003, 04:35 PM
cyrisweb

All in all not bad..

Loosing Baumgartner kind of sucks as he was a capable depth dman. It will hurt the Moose more than the Canucks.

Loosing Langdon was not unexpected. He is a great team guy who can match up against just about anybody out there. I didn't feel we really needed him anymore though. Loosing him just allows the Canucks too sign Keane AND keep Ready, King, Kesler, or another dman around. Which is great.

SO basically we lost a lil depth but other than that no big deal.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I think Langdon did a good job while he was here, but he wouldn't have received much ice time this season. Lots of factors would have contributed to that--May being a capable player while being a decent fighter, Ruutu's emergence, kids getting callups, the possibility of signing Keane--Langdon was expendable. He was a great team guy and a wonderful character, and I wish him the best of look in Habtown.

Baumgartner...good riddance, I didn't like him. But Langdon can be replaced. Rob Ray is still floating around out there...

~Canucklehead~

10-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
Its not all about stats.

It's not, but the Canucks can't afford to be keeping players on the team that can only fight. Langdon seems like a really nice guy and a great team player, but unless you can play a regular NHL shift, you aren't going to get much time with the Canucks. The Red Wings have done well for years without a trur heavyweight electing to go with team toughness led by Darren McCarty. I think the Canucks as a whole are a tougher team than the wings and Brad May is just as good of a fighter as McCarty IMO. The Canucks will miss Langdon's personality, but won't really miss what he brings IMO.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:06 PM
LaVal

i'm glad Baumgartner was taken because in Pittsburgh he'll have more of a chance to play. he is capable of being a #6 dman on many teams.

but i'm very dissapointed Langdon was taken. we no longer have a top-10 enforcer out there to stir things up against people like Laraque, Worrell, and Shelly when our team needs a spark or have liberties taken against them. i was looking forward to more Langdon - Worrell matchups.

Langdon also kept the team loose and was a great lockerroom guy. i hope Keane can provide the Canucks with some of that.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:07 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
I think Langdon did a good job while he was here, but he wouldn't have received much ice time this season. Lots of factors would have contributed to that--May being a capable player while being a decent fighter, Ruutu's emergence, kids getting callups, the possibility of signing Keane--Langdon was expendable. He was a great team guy and a wonderful character, and I wish him the best of look in Habtown.

Baumgartner...good riddance, I didn't like him. But Langdon can be replaced. Rob Ray is still floating around out there...

~Canucklehead~
Rob Ray rules

Old
10-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Eric

We can live without Baumgartner, but it sucks to lose Langdon. He came to camp in such good shape and even scored a few goals in the exhibition games. I was looking forward to see if he can do the same in the regular season.

Baumer is an excellent defenseman, but will never get a regular spot on the Canucks roster. He's better off somewhere else and Pittsburgh is a great place for him. With so much depth on the blueline, someone like Jokela or Eakins can easily step up and take his spot.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:36 PM
PhillyNucksFan

actually, i wasnt surprised that Boughmer and langdon got picked up.. as both are quality NHL players that many other teams might be lacking in this diluted NHL pool.

Like many have said, Langdon, after watching him last year, and some interviews he had and etc, I really liked him and the way he plays and handles the situation.. he can play 2 games in a row and then site 30 games and then come back and give it all again WITHOUT complaining at ALL!!.. great locker room guy.. we will miss him as a player/person, but not his skill.. But, I'd say he is one of the better gifted goon/personality NHL caliber player out there.

Boumer, well, nothing much to be said here.. He could be a top 4 D man in Pittsburgh given the opportunity.. I think he is quite happy now finally he can play regularly in the NHL, and develop/increase his stock value.. He wont have a chance in Vancouver.. not when we have first round darft pick 1 foot inside the door in Allen, Jokela/Mojzis/Koltsov

Old
10-03-2003, 06:31 PM
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
Some of you will not like what I am about to say but I will say it anyway. IMO Langdon is a waste of space on our lineup. We do not need him, we have May that can play and fight. This will free up some room for the young guys to come in and provide a bit more of a chance for some goals on the 4th line then Langdon. I think Langdons loss will do better then worse for the Nuks.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Hobo

vCash:
Also look at it from the players' point of view. Waiver draft is a chance for guys who are getting older to get to play elsewhere, and younger exempt guys more chance to show what they can do. Baumgartner has paid his dues and now has a chance to move his career forward without Jiri Slegr in his way. Allen, Koltsov etc.,. have more ice to share around, and it is easier to find space for Keane when his experience might help.

Old
10-03-2003, 09:53 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo
Also look at it from the players' point of view. Waiver draft is a chance for guys who are getting older to get to play elsewhere, and younger exempt guys more chance to show what they can do. Baumgartner has paid his dues and now has a chance to move his career forward without Jiri Slegr in his way. Allen, Koltsov etc.,. have more ice to share around, and it is easier to find space for Keane when his experience might help.
Good post. I think although Langer was great... he really kinda took up a spot that 2 guys were pushing for.

Old
10-03-2003, 10:23 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo

yes, good thought!

Baumgertner certainly paid his dues, and I really liked him when he scored the goal vs STL last year, and he deserves his chance and I believe he will do very well elsewhere.. its just not a good time for him to be in Canucks right now as we aim for the ultimate prize.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:23 AM
Proby24

Wasn't it the failure of 'team toughness' that forced Burke to deal for Langdon last year. He will be missed by the Canucks and I wish him the best in Montreal. Burke will be dealing away a 4th round pick come January to pick up a legitimate enforcer for protection.

Arguing about fourth line roster space is all well and good but its irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things. The Canucks will win nothing with Cloutier between the pipes. NOTHING.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Remember, do not feed the "you know what"...

Closed Thread