HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Playoffs Edition 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2014, 09:58 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
How funny would it be if all of the series' in the second round went to game 7.
I wonder if that's ever happened in the NHL before... all 4 rounds in the "quarter finals/conference semis" going 7 games?

Old
05-12-2014, 09:59 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I wonder if that's ever happened in the NHL before... all 4 rounds in the "quarter finals/conference semis" going 7 games?
I read on twitter that it hasn't. 3 is the most.

I think it's odd that the Ducks/Kings are playing Game 5 tonight whereas the Bruins/Habs and Rangers/Pens are prepping for Game 7.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
There is lots of that going on all over the playoffs.

Gallagher has gotta be the most untouchable player in the league. His contact/flop ratio is 9/10 range. Pathetic. And I am actually cheering for the Habs to win the series...but...I can't deny Gallagher is embarrassing. Mind you...some of the BS Marchand pulls is worse.
That Gallagher is an absolute puke out there. I've thought so from the first game I watched him. Lapierre, Burrows, Marchand, ect. rightfully get **** on for their antics, not sure why that guy gets a pass.

Pacioretty is much the same. I'd like to see Chara get him in the crosshairs again.

Add Subban to the mix, and it's pretty clear Bergevin has gone about building his club following the Canuck blueprint. It may not win any Cups, but it sure pisses everyone else off.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
I'm happy as long as we see at least 1 different team in the finals this yr...

Old
05-12-2014, 10:39 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
What big games exactly? Are you talking about WHC?

I wonder where Angelo Esposito is nowadays....
I basically answered in my previous post, but indirectly both Gibson, and Jenner as personalities you can tell they have the character/ and that hard work mentality plus talent. I've never understood why the Oilers and management will think that with especially the recent high 2nd draft picks that they need a project as opposed to taking solid players; probably the biggest downfall. Hopefully the recent Marincin, Klefbom, Pitlick picks work out because i think many of us would say were sick of the Alex Plante, and Riley Nash pick's over and over. Yes, Gibson showed what he had in the under 18, and Jenner showed it every night playing for Oshawa

Its just when a player like Shane Doan of that type comes up Oilers pass up on them. Its actually simple logic, guy has talent, hard work, (Eberle) big fan of the team draft him. Its interesting as I mentioned ken Holland where they just identified guys who have character, work hard, and develop a system (granted not every player develops on point with projection) to push guys to be there best. It shows you also why this team continually goes out and gets the Ben Eager, Mike Brown, Colin Fraser type guys. Basically, (as I also stated) they find guys like J.F. Jacques who had no skill, unlike Jenner and then they abort that drafting style. They go from conservative one year, to aggressive another, go from drafting europeans, to drafting more north american - will it work out? Maybe, Maybe not - we all know one thing from an outsiders perspective you have to wonder what is the identity of this team, and do they think of all aspects of players.

Old
05-12-2014, 11:28 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can cheer for the filth that is the Montreal Canadiens.

Bunch of diving *******.
Because no one on the Bruins dives at all

Old
05-13-2014, 12:04 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
Because no one on the Bruins dives at all
I didn't say the Bruins are clean, but you look at the Habs. Gallagher in particular is right up there with Brown and Burrows in the great NHL diver list.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:07 AM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I didn't say the Bruins are clean, but you look at the Habs. Gallagher in particular is right up there with Brown and Burrows in the great NHL diver list.
Bruins always get slagged for diving but the Habs are absolutely brutal. Hard to watch that team. Even worse when the crowd loses their **** if an opposing player sneezes and a Hab falls down.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Who didn't see both EC series going to 7 games. Teams in the East seemingly have an inate disability when it comes to actually taking control of a series. Its almost as if none of the teams are good enough to really separate from the pack. Given what the pack typically looks like in the East and how poor it is its kind of funny to watch.
Looks to me like .500 is the magic number for all teams in these playoffs.

Its not a new thing this year and its not an exclusive thing to one conference over the other.

SC playoffs have always featured an abundance of gut-checking & when I look closely I DO see separation in some key areas...its just a matter of time/bounces before it all filters through into actuality & outcome.

I think...the depth of the Habs defence group has a special blend to it. Unfortunately, Therrien...for whatever reason....failed to trust in the group of 6 whom he started in the series with Boston. I honestly believe Montreal could've already bagged the series had they not inserted Doug Murray into the line up.

Most of the Bruins big push occurred either directly or indirectly from Murray making an absolute hot mess out of things all over the rink...but...mostly in a 100 foot radial area to the left of Carey Price. It was a horrendous display...very distracting to the Habs as a team. Just a terrible decision...and one that might still cost them the series.

Even if Therrien keeps Murray far, far away from game 7...the damage that move did is going to leave an impression now that MTL's ONLY clinch chance is coming on the road.

Nonetheless...the other 5 MTL defencemen have been the best of ANY group...bar none...in these playoffs. As polarizing as Subban is...Markov has played the best all around hockey of his life. I think you have to say the same for Josh Gorges. And Emelin. And certainly Mike Weaver!

Wow.

Those 5 guys have not missed a beat. In fact...you can add Frankie Boullion to the list to make it a full compliment.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
That Gallagher is an absolute puke out there. I've thought so from the first game I watched him. Lapierre, Burrows, Marchand, ect. rightfully get **** on for their antics, not sure why that guy gets a pass.

Pacioretty is much the same. I'd like to see Chara get him in the crosshairs again.

Add Subban to the mix, and it's pretty clear Bergevin has gone about building his club following the Canuck blueprint. It may not win any Cups, but it sure pisses everyone else off.
There were actually a couple examples of Gallagher NOT getting calls in game 6 last night. This is a MAJOR EVENT in this series.

Don't kid yourself...the ONLY reason Gallagher is getting prime-time match ups...in place of Vanek...is because Gallagher can/does draw PIM's against BOS top defencemen/line(s).

Its a tough call for Therrien now...does he go back to Vanek on the top line with Patch' and Desharnais? Or does he hang in there with Gallagher, hoping to get just a couple more critical PP minutes out of the scheme?

I think you have to finish game 7 with Vanek playing a tonne. There is a good chance the game is called liberally.

Old
05-13-2014, 10:19 AM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Ugh... Hab fan arrogance is at an all time high. The Bruins need to shut them up, please!

Old
05-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Ugh... Hab fan arrogance is at an all time high. The Bruins need to shut them up, please!
Because Bruin fans are an exercise in humility & class.

Old
05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

Wow lots of vitriol in here over Bruins/Habs.

Watched every game of the series... haven't seen this huge amount of diving everyone's talking about. One team is bigger than the other and guys are trying to knock the **** out of each other regardless. It's been a very good series IMO... I don't have problems with either team or the way they're playing.

Last edited by Philly85: 05-13-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old
05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Because Bruin fans are an exercise in humility & class.
Did I say they were?

Old
05-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Did I say they were?
In a sense. Is there an option where both of these clubs can lose.?

Old
05-13-2014, 02:58 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In a sense. Is there an option where both of these clubs can lose.?
They certainly annoy me a lot less than Habs fans, but that doesn't mean they are loaded with class.

I'd be cheering against the Bruins next round, don't really want to see Iggy hoisting the Cup.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Kyle McMahon

And right on cue, there's Matt Cooke at it again, attempting to maim Johnny Oduya. Far worse than Bollig's hit, but who wants to bet Cooke escapes any actual punishment from the NHL as per usual?

Old
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Congrats to the Rangers on the series win.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:46 PM
oilersfan11

Crosby is no more.

It would be interesting if Montreal wins tomorrow.

3rd Round:

Rangers vs Canadiens.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:48 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Crosby is no more.

It would be interesting if Montreal wins tomorrow.

3rd Round:

Rangers vs Canadiens.
I'm sure NBC is cringing at missing another Boston/NY series.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Pablo Aimar

Penguins. Shero is the biggest fraud in the NHL.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:55 PM
oilersfan11

Very happy that the Rangers finished off the Pens.Next up is for the Canadiens to finish off the Bruins,and then for the Rangers to dispose of Montreal.

Rangers vs Chicago/Anaheim

Don't like Los Angeles or Minnesota as their styles' are very boring to watch

Old
05-13-2014, 08:55 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Very happy that the Rangers finished off the Pens.Next up is for the Canadiens to finish off the Bruins,and then for the Rangers to dispose of Montreal.

Rangers vs Chicago/Anaheim/

Don't like Los Angeles as their style is very boring to watch
If the Hawks win the West and the Bruins win the East, the Bruins will face an O6 team every round. Kinda weird.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

crazy loss by the Pens, that is just absolutely unacceptable when you have the 2 best centres in the game on your side. happy for Lundqvist though and congrats to the Rangers.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:09 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Who is this Haula kid? He's impressive.

Closed Thread