Mizral

vCash: 500
Travis Green traded to the Bruins for a 6th round pick

Source: CKNW Radio & TSN.ca

Old
10-03-2003, 10:33 AM
supernova

Can't say OC isn't trying. I see this as trading Stumpel & a 6th for Green & a 2nd and 3rd. I'm alright with that.

Everyones signed and a #1 goalie has been brought in. WOW.

It remains to be seen how good this team will be, but I'm impressed that OC didn't throw in the towel and forfeit the season. He very easily could of, and gave us the CBA speech all season.

Way to go Mike, you're making me less pessismistic all the time.

Old
10-03-2003, 10:41 AM
HockeyGoddess

Welcome to Boston, Travis!

Old
10-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
I guess this move addresses my desire to see Boston pick up a defensive orientated fourth line type center with some face off ability come our run for a cup... of course short term I expect the Bruin's plans are to use Green on the second line.

If we are going into the playoffs with Green still on the second line, this will be a move backwards for us.

Having Green around for short-term though does give the kids even more time to get their games together at the AHL level... and I am certain there will be a ton of contract dumping come trade deadline this year so there should be several good second line candidates available then if none of our kids are ready themselves by next March.

I'll give this move a qualified thumbs up as long as it's not designed to be our solution to second line by the time the playoffs are here.

I do wish that we would have grabbed Todd Simpson. As I see it, we really only have 4 proven good enough NHL dmen on the squad at the moment. Even allowing that we want to give Jillson a chance to make the team and should get Girard or Berard back at some point this season to handle the offensive role back there, Simpson would be a talent improvement over Moran and would be a cost improvement over O'Donnell offering roughly the same benefit to the team. I guess I am not certain we picked ahead of Anaheim but without checking the draft order I feel we probably finished behind them in the standings last season and thus I do think we must have willingly passed on Simpson and this doesnt make me happy.

Oh well... the pick of Green sort of sees it hard for any of the kids to make the team now for lineup... here is my call on how I now expect to see opening night lineup.

Knuble/Thornton/Murray... it wasnt broke so I dont see it being fixed
Lapointe/Green/Samsonov... Lapointe makes enough he has to play
Axelsson/Rolston/Zamuner... Rolston/Green should maybe be flipped
Grosek/Stock/McCarthy... Grosek is cheap enough he can be bought out if the team wants to spot Samuelsson on the 4th line
Donato/Zino... if Zino can't be sent down I guess he hangs out in the pressbox until he finds his NHL game or gets returned to Europe.

Boynton/Gill... I really think these two compliment each other so well
McGillis/O'Donnell... could be a real nasty pair to play against if O'Donnell got his teeth back
Moran/Jillson... I would shake the parings up if Berard signs and moves Moran to the pressbox... for now I guess Moran is steady enough to put the kid with.

7th dman would be used as a reward I guess to the Providence guys giving them an NHL paydate for a week or two at a time until Girard gets healthy enough to grab this spot back or until we sign Berard and move Moran down into this spot.

Before playoff time rolls around I think we do need a 20+ minute a game vet with a well rounded game like a Keith Carney type to be playing in the O'Donnell spot letting OD move down into the Moran/Jillson spot here but that would probably depend on whether or not we do sign Berard and how much he advances over last season and depends some on whether or not Jillson's game advances enough this season to be viewed as of more then a 5-6 guy before playoff time.

I hope to see Raycroft play opening night but I imagine that Potvin is going to be given the chance to play more then 50% of the games if he is decent to keep the preassure off Raycroft for the short term. We shall have to see how this situation developes though as I think Raycroft can take the number 1 job if he plays well enough.

Overall I like the team's makeup and dont see much in the way of a need for improvement now. Green moved to the fourth line if we do add a good second line center at playoff time would really solidify the fourth line and let us play it far more often then we have been able to in the past. Zamuner moved back to the fourth line too if a kid has pushed him out of a job by playoff time would really be fantastik for the overall qualtity of the team's depth up front.

Let's hope that returning all of the kids to Providence really makes them a powerhouse down there this year and they all have tremendous development so that we can use one as good trade bait for when we want to load up for a cup run at the deadline.

Im ready to start the season now fairly confidant it will be a very good season to be a Bruin's fan.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
I guess this move addresses my desire to see Boston pick up a defensive orientated fourth line type center with some face off ability come our run for a cup... of course short term I expect the Bruin's plans are to use Green on the second line.

If we are going into the playoffs with Green still on the second line, this will be a move backwards for us.

Having Green around for short-term though does give the kids even more time to get their games together at the AHL level... and I am certain there will be a ton of contract dumping come trade deadline this year so there should be several good second line candidates available then if none of our kids are ready themselves by next March.

I'll give this move a qualified thumbs up as long as it's not designed to be our solution to second line by the time the playoffs are here.

I do wish that we would have grabbed Todd Simpson. As I see it, we really only have 4 proven good enough NHL dmen on the squad at the moment. Even allowing that we want to give Jillson a chance to make the team and should get Girard or Berard back at some point this season to handle the offensive role back there, Simpson would be a talent improvement over Moran and would be a cost improvement over O'Donnell offering roughly the same benefit to the team. I guess I am not certain we picked ahead of Anaheim but without checking the draft order I feel we probably finished behind them in the standings last season and thus I do think we must have willingly passed on Simpson and this doesnt make me happy.

Oh well... the pick of Green sort of sees it hard for any of the kids to make the team now for lineup... here is my call on how I now expect to see opening night lineup.

Grosek/Stock/McCarthy... Grosek is cheap enough he can be bought out if the team wants to spot Samuelsson on the 4th line
Donato/Zino... if Zino can't be sent down I guess he hangs out in the pressbox until he finds his NHL game or gets returned to Europe.

McGillis/O'Donnell... could be a real nasty pair to play against if O'Donnell got his teeth back
Moran/Jillson... I would shake the parings up if Berard signs and moves Moran to the pressbox... for now I guess Moran is steady enough to put the kid with.

7th dman would be used as a reward I guess to the Providence guys giving them an NHL paydate for a week or two at a time until Girard gets healthy enough to grab this spot back or until we sign Berard and move Moran down into this spot.

Before playoff time rolls around I think we do need a 20+ minute a game vet with a well rounded game like a Keith Carney type to be playing in the O'Donnell spot letting OD move down into the Moran/Jillson spot here but that would probably depend on whether or not we do sign Berard and how much he advances over last season and depends some on whether or not Jillson's game advances enough this season to be viewed as of more then a 5-6 guy before playoff time.

I hope to see Raycroft play opening night but I imagine that Potvin is going to be given the chance to play more then 50% of the games if he is decent to keep the preassure off Raycroft for the short term. We shall have to see how this situation developes though as I think Raycroft can take the number 1 job if he plays well enough.

Overall I like the team's makeup and dont see much in the way of a need for improvement now. Green moved to the fourth line if we do add a good second line center at playoff time would really solidify the fourth line and let us play it far more often then we have been able to in the past. Zamuner moved back to the fourth line too if a kid has pushed him out of a job by playoff time would really be fantastik for the overall qualtity of the team's depth up front.

Let's hope that returning all of the kids to Providence really makes them a powerhouse down there this year and they all have tremendous development so that we can use one as good trade bait for when we want to load up for a cup run at the deadline.

Im ready to start the season now fairly confidant it will be a very good season to be a Bruin's fan.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:25 PM
scotiahockey
Insider

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
MK- thats twice you said that....

Old
10-03-2003, 01:29 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Karlstrom II

one of your wishes has been answered because Rolston is the second line center; I was told just that- and you'll see him less if at all on the point on the powerplay and cetnering the second unit on the powerplay. I heard they will no way throw second line center on top of all the other stuff Bergeron has to deal with if kept. Travis Green is your third line center- and imo its a very good pickup. He's a smart, savy veteran who still has something in the tank. I realize you have this infatuation with Todd Simpson but I don't see the fit and Jeff Jillson is ready. He needs to play and he's playing with a better than average offensive team and a bunch of veterans that will allow him to wade in.

Back to Green though, you've identified him as the fourth and second which I don't get- he's going to be the big checking center capable of scoring 10-15 goals and providing good defense, loads of experience and good face off skills. All in all I am thrilled with it- and now Bergeron can go back to juniors and continue to develop.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
It was so nice he had to say it twice.

Well, with Green it's a wysiwyg situation, what you see is what you get. Green is a very competent 3rd line type centre. Not big offense (pencil him in for 15 goals), rock solid D and a good face off man (something we've needed for a while now).

Overall, I'm pleased with the acquisition. Not about to pick the Bruins to win the cup, but Green helps out this team in a number of areas. Now its up to Rolston to prove that he's a 2nd line center (something that most would say he is not and I'd probably agree with that).

Ball's in your court Brian. Time to sack up.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Bruwinz37

Great move by the Bruins. Green is the exact type of player this team needs. Good at both ends, he can be a good point producer, wins faceoffs (only 53% last year though).

This certainly isnt putting us over the top, but it is a good insurance policy as we really are thin at center.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:45 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I like it... A LOT. Green is pretty much everything you want from a third line center:

1. Solid two way play? Check.
2. Grit? Check.
3. Good at the faceoff dot? Check.

He's 32, and makes just 1.5 mill I believe...solid pickup. Now, we can put Rolston on the wing where he really belongs. Well, that's if Patrice Bergeron, Sergei Zinojev or Andy Hilbert make the team.

Sammy - Thornton - Knuble
Rolston - Bergeron/Zinojev/Hilbert - Murray
Axe - Green - Lapointe(when healthy)
Stock - Grosek - McCarthy

Old
10-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Still a Bruin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
one of your wishes has been answered because Rolston is the second line center; I was told just that- and you'll see him less if at all on the point on the powerplay and cetnering the second unit on the powerplay. I heard they will no way throw second line center on top of all the other stuff Bergeron has to deal with if kept. Travis Green is your third line center- and imo its a very good pickup. He's a smart, savy veteran who still has something in the tank. I realize you have this infatuation with Todd Simpson but I don't see the fit and Jeff Jillson is ready. He needs to play and he's playing with a better than average offensive team and a bunch of veterans that will allow him to wade in.

Back to Green though, you've identified him as the fourth and second which I don't get- he's going to be the big checking center capable of scoring 10-15 goals and providing good defense, loads of experience and good face off skills. All in all I am thrilled with it- and now Bergeron can go back to juniors and continue to develop.
If Rolston is what we call the 2nd line center, where does Samsonov play.
Is it Axe-Rolston-Samsonov?
That's a very soft line.
Is it Samsonov-Green-Lapointe (when he's ready)?
That would be a complete waste of Sammy's skill to have those guys fumble away his setups all year.

In my opinion, Knuble should move to the Rolston and Axe line.
Green should have Lapointe and the winner for 3rd line wing spot.
That's what SHOULD happen, imo.

Samsonov-Thornton-Murray
Axe-Rolston-Knuble
? (Huml, Sammy 2, Mcarthy) Green-Lapointe
Mcarthy-Stock-

I'll be disappointed if the lines aren't put this way, and the indication is that it won't look lke this. :mad:

Old
10-03-2003, 01:54 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
It was so nice he had to say it twice.

Well, with Green it's a wysiwyg situation, what you see is what you get. Green is a very competent 3rd line type centre. Not big offense (pencil him in for 15 goals), rock solid D and a good face off man (something we've needed for a while now).

Overall, I'm pleased with the acquisition. Not about to pick the Bruins to win the cup, but Green helps out this team in a number of areas. Now its up to Rolston to prove that he's a 2nd line center (something that most would say he is not and I'd probably agree with that).

Ball's in your court Brian. Time to sack up.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Green is a good acquisition. The Bruins gave up a 6th rounder and got a competent 3rd liner who is strong in the circle. I don't think they could have done much better, given the circumstances. I am very happy about it. No prospect or picks will have to be traded now, or at least for the time being.

And though I will probably never see him as a bonafide #2 center, Rolston can excel if he's matched with the right players. I mentioned it before in the summer, but if he's skating with a real playmaker and a good board's guy, then the B's may end up with a reliable enough second line.

At this point, it all comes down to how the lines shake out. The Bruins have a ton of wingers. All they have to do is sort out the roles. With a cadre of talented youth that offers varying degrees of speed, quickness & skill, the Bruins should be able to build three decent lines for a balanced attack.

(one of Huml/Hilbert/Knuble)-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Rolston-(one of Lapointe/Knuble/Zinovjev)
Axelsson-Green-(one of Zamuner/Lapointe/Zinovjev/Samuelsson)

Though Ax and Rolston work well together, the B's could greatly improve their balanced attack by pairing Samsonov with him instead. With all their wingers, they should find a decent trio. Then, it all comes down to the Greenline. I like Axelsson there, so again it's a matter of who fits best.

Right now with Lapointe & Zamuner's injuries, there are opportunities for the kids to step in and show their goods. It looks like Huml could be the first to make the team, but maybe Samuelsson will have a chance to make a decent impression. If the B's started with these lines, they would at least have some balance:

Huml-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Rolston-Knuble
Axelsson-Green-Samuelsson

Once Lapointe & Zamuner return, who knows what happens. Everything could depend on how the lines have worked. It's possible Huml makes the most of his opportunity, forcing Zam and Lapointe to fight for the #3 wing spot (which could mean Zamuner is pushed back to the 4th line again). Either way, the competition is healthy.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:12 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Come on guys....

It's pretty much set for the first 10 games anyways...

Sammy with Joe and Knuble. Looks good to me.
Rolsten with Bergeron and Murray. Solid 2nd line to open with.
Axe with Green and Zamuner. Insert Lapointe when ready.
McCarthy-Stock-Grosek. Rotate Stock and McCarthy when alls done.

Pretty sound competition for the forward spots. Hats off to Bergeron for making this roster. (Yeah, I'm jumping the gun a little)

This is my opening night forwards for the B's

Old
10-03-2003, 02:32 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkmedia
It's pretty much set for the first 10 games anyways...

Sammy with Joe and Knuble. Looks good to me.
Rolsten with Bergeron and Murray. Solid 2nd line to open with.
Axe with Green and Zamuner. Insert Lapointe when ready.
McCarthy-Stock-Grosek. Rotate Stock and McCarthy when alls done.

Pretty sound competition for the forward spots. Hats off to Bergeron for making this roster. (Yeah, I'm jumping the gun a little)

This is my opening night forwards for the B's
I'm with yah, but last night Rolston centered Samsonov and Knuble and he's going to be the second line center. I would love to see Oates signed and put him in Bergeron's place and send Bergeron back. It wont happen but Oates showed me enough in playoffs to show me he can still play and Rolston and Murray would be getting some sweet passes to do what both like to do- shoot. Anyways, since it wont happen I'm with yah 100 % on lines. But Sullivan is going to keep Joe and Muzz togetehr and Sammy on his own line to start atleast imo

Old
10-03-2003, 02:39 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
You got a good player today. There will be times when Green will play like crap and go through drouts of laziness. For the most part, though, he steps it up when he's asked to. See the playoffs 2 years ago. He scored a huge goal this past year (game 6 vs Philly) as well.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:46 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
You got a good player today. There will be times when Green will play like crap and go through drouts of laziness. For the most part, though, he steps it up when he's asked to. See the playoffs 2 years ago. He scored a huge goal this past year (game 6 vs Philly) as well.
now that was a good post how did his unprotected status go over in Toronto? were you suprised and if you made a list would he have been on it?

Old
10-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I'm with yah, but last night Rolston centered Samsonov and Knuble and he's going to be the second line center. I would love to see Oates signed and put him in Bergeron's place and send Bergeron back. It wont happen but Oates showed me enough in playoffs to show me he can still play and Rolston and Murray would be getting some sweet passes to do what both like to do- shoot. Anyways, since it wont happen I'm with yah 100 % on lines. But Sullivan is going to keep Joe and Muzz togetehr and Sammy on his own line to start atleast imo
That sounds like a heckuva plan. It probably wont happen but I wonder if the plan is to keep Bergeron around and remove Rolston from center. Lots of options...lets take a look at scenarios:

Thornton/Knuble/Samsonov
Bergeron/Rolston/Murray --takes pressure off the kid
Green/Axelsson/Zamuner (Lapointe takes over when he gets back)
Stock/McCarthy/Grosek

OR

Thornton/Murray/Huml
Bergeron/Samsonov/Rolston
Green/Axelsson/Knuble
Stock/McCarthy/Zamuner -----This lineup makes things interesting
when Lapointe gets back.

OR if Bergeron is sent back

Thornton/Knuble/Samsonov
Rolston/Murray/Huml
Green/Axelsson/Zamuner
Stock/McCarthy/Grosek

All of this is not figuring in Zinoviev (who will return I am sure), Samuelsson, and Hilbert. Also injuries to Lapointe and Zamuner complicate things.

There are some tough decisions to make.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
well now that I can get back on line....

Kudos to MOC...

Give up essentially zip to get some face-off help and provide a year of growth for the "kids"..

Sure it's no blockbuster... but he did recognize a need and hopefully filled it.

Man.. I can't wait to watch a game tomoorow..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-03-2003, 02:55 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Lot's of interesting line combos in this thread... :p

Old
10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
I apologize for the double post... was trying to get through at the data base problem time today and couldnt see if it made it up or not till now.

I also realize here that I wasnt aware that Lapointe/Zamuner were injured. I am getting married OCT 11 and I have so much of my time devoted to those details I am a bit behind on my training camp news. I guess if they cant play opening night then maybe there will be room for Samuelsson to start the season with the big team. I think I could see Hilbert starting too even if his camp is substandard. Some of it is about psychology and motivation when it comes to assignment decisions for NHL teams. Hilbert has paid his dues more at Providence then a couple of the other kids. Even if they are looking better at NHL level, they have a longer time to still be considered as developing. Hilbert will soon have to be given a shot at the NHL level or he goes from prospect to suspect and shows up on this waiver wire list himself in a year or two.

I really am not sure what to think of HUML. I guess I dont really want him to make the team. I view him as soft and not all that rounded defensively either. He will need to score a ton for me to forgive the weakness in his game and I dont see him being able to score enough. I have no doubt he will have a good NHL career and be a 20 goal scorer for some non-playoff bound team a few times before it is done... but I think he is the type of guy who if he is playing more then 6-8 min a night for you, then you really arent good enough to win yourselves.

Anyhow... I shouldnt really be predicting opening night lineups unless I am up on injuries so instead let me indulge myself with a crystal ball look at how I hope to see the team develop over this season. I will try to fill all 23 spots on the team with how I envision things will unfold.

Starting with the top line.

Joe Thornton stays healthy hopefully and continues to challange for league lead in scoring and MVP honors. We see him take less days off then the last couple seasons and we see his leadership/warrior persona intensify with another year's maturity

Glen Murray realizes another 40 goal season will mean 10-12 million on his next contract as competition for the 5-6-7 million a year deals will be at a premium. Whether or not it helps us or hurts us long term for him to have a good season this year, he still pulls through and shows his combination of size/skating/shot is the real deal and there is absolutely no reason for him to fall off now that he has the wisdom/learning to take advantage of that skill set he always had.

Mike Knuble starts the season on the big line and hopefully for my plans picks up right where he left off last season. His impending UFA status is a problem though as he really isn't a core guy for us. We look to deal him to one of the expansion teams who do have the room to add a 30 goal scorer with defensive game at 2-2.5 mill a year. It's one of those sign and trade deals where they get Knuble signed as part of the deal so they know they have him at an affordable price for them. We get some sort of draft pick compensation. I would say a first even if we have to throw in a Huml/Hilbert type to make the upgrade.

Martin Samuelsson probably sees time in Providence and is better able to demonstrate his offensive game down there. He is good with defensive assignments and adds grit to a line so under my crystal ball hopes it is his progress through the first part of the season that actually lets us move Knuble for the draft pick and helps us with payroll management as the year progresses.

On line two Brian Rolston, Sergei Samsonov, and Martin Lapointe all end up together. They might not start here but they get together somehow due to just the regular function of line changes or injuries or whatever. Once together they click and show that they really all compliment each other. The center duties are split for all three players. When the line is on offense Sammy is told to act like the center and he gets to take the ice for his creative dippsy-doodle. Sammy is definitly the playmaker for the line. When the line has to look after it's own end Sammy and Rolston change up and Brian tries to shut down the other team's operation. Lapointe handles the majority of the faceoffs because I truely believe he is stronger on faceoffs than Rolston is. Lapointe will also be given responsibilty for the grunt work on the line. He will score some getting in front of the net with Rolston shooting from the high slot and Sammy doing his darting wheeling crashing stuff too.

I really think our board is selling Lapointe way short. He is our most physical forward. He was a character warrior strong third liner for a couple Detroit cup runs. If he is healthy and happy we will like him on a top line providing grit and warrior attitude for us too.

Travis Green could well start the season second line for us. If we deal for a center for the cup run I wouldnt be shocked to see Green finish the year on the fourth line... but for now I guess my crystal ball will only demote him to third line as the year unfolds. Green is a smart player who knows how to stick to a system. Axelsson is a very smart player who can play a system and also show a little initative and instinct within that system. Rob Zamuner is one of the smarter/better instinct players in the NHL. All three guys are a tad soft for what I would love ideally in their spots but give them a trap system to stick too or a left wing lock and this wouldnt be a fun line to try to score against for the opposition.

If Samuelsson forces himself onto the club early before Knuble is moved then maybe he forces Zamuner down to fourth line. Possibly we dont deal Knuble at all and he ends up on this line as the season unfolds again pushing Zamuner down. In either case I think the net effect here is that the third line starts off being adequet and stands to only get better barring injuries.

We have good make up for three very strong lines.

I see the 4th line standard being McCarthy. I think our fans have been selling him short. He may not have looked great in NY last year but few look great in NY. I remember McCarthy when he was playing top line in Calgary with Theo a few years back and he does have very good talent for a goon. I have also seen him over the years hold his own in fights with everyone form Gino Odjick to Scott Parker and even to Georges Laraque and Peter Worrell. I prob cant say he is a top 5 fighter but he is someone that can take a Worrell off the ice without getting hurt... and he is someone with the tempermant that he can go out and mess things up with the other team's softer players if that is needed too.

I hope the club can find room for PJ Stock to play alot during the regular season. He is very limited for overall hockey skill being very average to weak both offensively and defensively. About the best thing I can say for his skill level is he isnt stupid on the ice and doesnt take bad penalties or make bone head moves with the pick. Stock is totally an energy guy. That said I think the team is deep enough first three lines that we can afford to play Stock over the regular season most nights so I do hope he stays around. Having McCarthy on the ice and maybe seeing O'Donnell start the season 4/5 on depth chart for defense should reduce the amount of preasure on Stock to fight the Super HW's this time around. Stock can instead focus on pleasing us fight fans going more with the likes of Peat and O'Neil when they are being goofs against us.

I don't teally want to see any of the kids on the team limited to fourth line 5-6 min a night type action. I guess I expect the team doesnt either. With this in mind I would expect Donato/Grosek to get priority over the remaining available spot here in the starting lineup. Once Girard gets healthy either he or Moran might also see time dressed as a 7th dman/4th line forward. Once the team loads up for a playoff run I would hope Green and Zamuner might drop to the fourth line and a kid like Hilbert or Zino or Huml might have enough in him to step up to the fourth line too. Cup caliber teams dont have guys like Stock or McCarthy or Grosek playing on them at all... but for regular season we have a decent servicable tough guy type line with these guys on it.

I really think if Boynton is going to step up to be a quality top 2 dman this very well could be the year he does it. His first couple seasons have been spent trying to learn to play within himself and then experiencing growing pains as he stretched out to do more. I see him as a very bright player who will have learned from his struggles last season.

I am not sure Gill is as smart but I think he will know his strengths. Gill is very useful if he keeps things simple. He needs a strong partner to really shine but if Gill is the more stay at home type with a more well rounded parther I think he can be an effective 20 min a game guy who exels especially on the pk. I see Boynton/Gill being kept together for the most part as the season unfolds and I see them as our number one unit in all defenisve situations.

Dan McGillis figures to be our dominant offensive dman unless Berard is resigned, He hits alot and is a tad slow defensively. I am tempted to pencil Jillson in alongside McGillis here and its very possible they will see PP time together. McGillis might be better suited having O'Donnell as his main parther. I would shave O'Donnell's respondsibilty and icetime back alot this year. I wouldn't use him on the PP at all and would also not look at him as a first choice for PK time either. If we can add the vet dman I want here as McGillis partner I might try to deal o'Donnell right off the team. It isn't so much that I don't like O'Donnell. if he was only making a million dollars and was your 6/7 type guy I think he would be outstanding. He just isn't good enough to be a quality 2.5 mill a year 20+ min guy on a good team.

If we don't add a vet dman I guess I hope to see Jeff Jillson push OD back on the depth chart by the time playoffs roll around... until then I see the team spotting him some while they try to toughen up and mature his attitude. Jillson is a confidence issue so it's important not putting him into the deep end too soon. If he has a decent steady vet to work with it will be best.

Ian Moran will be the default for now in the 5/6 pairing. One strength or Moran has always been that he can play forward too. One way or the other I see him finishing the year with the team due to his costs and flexibility.

If Berard is signed he will push Moran to the box sooner rather then later. I wouldnt want to see Berard partnered with Jillson. If Berard is signed I would hope the team would probably look to pair him with O'Donnell I guess and then move Jillson up to play with McGillis.

I dont really see this as the best groupings either though... so if Berard is signed I would hope/predict that the team will find it more important then ever to get that quality vet dman I say they need. If they jump on this plan then OD can be shopped in the deal or moved seperately as the opportunity presents itself for whatever he is worth as an impending UFA.

Overall a defense core with Jillson adding a bit of front line raw talent to a core that already would have the offensive skill of a Girard or Berard type and the all round ability of a young Boynton and the size of a Gill and an O'Donnell and finally the hitting offense of a McGillis sure seems alot stronger to me then so many fans here seem to fear it to be.

We have Morrisonn/Jonsson/possibly Juceria/and now Stuart all figuring to mix into this group over the next 2-3 years as OD/McGillis maybe age out of the mix. Jillson/Boynton/Gill are all more then young enough to be considered solid players here for a good 6-7-8 year run depending how health/cost holds out.

My best crystal ball read on the goaltending actually probably does see management hoping Potvin has his career year and keeps the number 1 job all through the playoffs. I am going to be my usual optomistic self and predict a solid NHL transition for Raycroft. He has paid his dues and I do think he has decent NHL talent. I am not so sold that I will predict him as an elite level starting goaltender but I think by the end of the season he will be widely viewed as a better then average backup quality goaltender who many will think should be given a shot at a starting job somewhere.

Perhaps he will be overlapped by Tovinen before he ever gets his starting chance here in Boston... but given the upcoming Salary cap situation I think young NHL proven goaltenders will be more valuable on the trade market then they ever have been after this season. We will be well served before all is said and done giving Raycroft as much chance shine this year as possible.

I do think the Bruin braintrust is far smarter and has a far clearer plan then many here at HF want to give them credit for. With this in mind I am predicting that Raycroft will get a good chance with the team this year as one of the more well used backups in the NHL.

I also am totally convinced that Jillson will have to be a wreck not to make the team.

And I strongly feel that Samuelsson will be the kid forward that has the highest impact on the team before the year is over... while I feel that Hilbert/Zino will be given the next best opportunities to shine over Huml/Bergeon no matter what is actually happening in training camp. I make this call as much on politics as anything else but I feel strong enough about it to be willing to go on record and stake my experience of 25 years of being a Bruin Fanatic Watcher reputation on the call.

Man... have to say it is so freaking good to be able to talk about the Bruins and have this type of hope. I have optomism pretty much every offseason and even in years I doubt the team has a chance to win, there is always something I find myself able to latch onto and cheer about. That said though, I think that the progress of the kids... the development of the young stars... the absense of a contract problem to distract the team... and the club's financial positioning to have the room for improvements as the season unfolds all combind to have be feeling this is the strongest version of the team we have seen since the late 1970's.

We had a few cup final run's since that time so i know my statement there will look like a pollyanna type hyberbole to many but I will stick by it through this season.

Get ready to cheer boys and girls cause this is going to be a wonderful year to be a Bruin fan.

Go Bruins go!

Old
10-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Karlstrom II

I am getting married OCT 11 !

WOOOHOO !!!!

Congrats and God Bless to the future Mr. and Mrs. Karlstrom !!!

Old
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
Lot's of interesting line combos in this thread... :p
C- Thornton, Rolston, Green, Bergeron, Zinovjev, Stock, Donato
RW- Murray, Knuble, Lapointe, Samuelsson, McCarthy
LW-Samsonov, Axelsson, Zamuner, Huml, Hilbert, Grosek

thats 18 forwards

30 goal/60 points should be expected (4): Thornton, Samsonov, Murray, Rolston

foot soldiers- 15 goals/40 points +/-5 not a stretch (5): Knuble, Lapointe, Zamuner, Green, Axelsson

plug in filler/role players (4): Stock, McCarthy, Grosek, Donato

young players close who could make a significant contribution as easily as end up back in minors or juniors (5): Bergeron, Samuelsson, Zinovjev, Huml, Hilbert

lot of possiblities; team a very good second line playmaking center away from being as good as anyone upfront in East

Old
10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
now that was a good post how did his unprotected status go over in Toronto? were you suprised and if you made a list would he have been on it?
Reaction was mixed. Some didn't like him (partly for the 'laziness' reasons I mentioned earlier). He became redundant here, and with the impressive play of Stajan and Perrott in camp, plus guys like Holden and Ponikarovsky floating around, there is no use paying 1.6 million for a 4th liner. It was a shock in some capacity as we protected Wade belak over him. You had to think that Ferguson knew Green would be taken, at his salary, and the fact that his deal is only for one more year. This leads me to believe that it was strictly a salary based move (probably how we paid for Ken Klee).

I think with more ice time, he should help out the B's quite a bit. And again, his playoff performance is something you should/could be looking forward to.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:50 PM
knuckles*

As an aside, don't you all think the acquisition of Green means the end of the road for Lapointe in the black and gold? Green makes significantly less than Lapointe and should he put up 10 goals and 20 points, thats a significant increase on Marty's production.

I have no insight as to where old #20 may go, or how MOC would rid himself of him, but it seems to me that Green is a suitable (and fiscally responsible) replacement for whatever it is Lapointe brings to the line up.

You could make the same argument above and replace Lapointe with Grosek or Zamuner, I would think.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
I think you're selling LaPointe short personally.

He still, if healthy , can put up repectable numbers as well as take a lead role on this team..

The second factor ...he's widely overpaid. We all know that and for the same reason nobody in this new fiscal era will bite on Cujo..same for Marty..

Closed Thread