HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest showing of fan support ever - Red Mile 2004?

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Heavy Fuel

vCash: 500
Some good showings of support, but...in 1972 for the final games of the Canada/Russia series they interrupted school classes across the whole country in Canada to show the game. I was in Grade 5 classroom watching Henderson score the winning goal and the whole school went nuts. Multiply that by several thousand schools and workplaces.

Nothing else comes close.

Old
11-04-2005, 01:00 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Well, Winnipeg copied it from Vancouver. Roger Neilson "invented" it back in '82.
Not exactly...

Roger's "terrible towels" was an innovation that has been copied all over the place (Ottawa and Montreal in the last couple years - both of which I've been to). Winnipeg's "white out" was actually just people wearing white, not waving white towels. They gave out white pom-poms as the idea took off, but the original idea was just to wear all white clothes.

I hate to admit it, but Winnipeg actually copied the idea from Calgary. In the 1985 playoffs, Calgary was doing the "Sea of Red", encouraging everyone to show up wearing red clothes. The idea was stolen by Winnipeg and changed to white and took off from there.

Old
11-04-2005, 01:10 PM
jamiebez

In the summer of 1995 (when it appeared the Jets were leaving for Minneapolis), local radio station CJOB originated "Operation Grassroots" in an attempt to raise enough money to save the team. This culminated in a rally at the Forks in Winnipeg, which an estimated 35,000 people attended.

In total, Operation Grassroots raised $13M in donations from private individuals in two weeks, and another $62M from local businesses.

Old
11-04-2005, 01:49 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez
In the summer of 1995 (when it appeared the Jets were leaving for Minneapolis), local radio station CJOB originated "Operation Grassroots" in an attempt to raise enough money to save the team. This culminated in a rally at the Forks in Winnipeg, which an estimated 35,000 people attended.

In total, Operation Grassroots raised $13M in donations from private individuals in two weeks, and another $62M from local businesses.
...so what happened to it all? IIRC the Jets are no longer there, so who made off with $75 million?

Old
11-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99
Another one that comes to mind is when I was 13 in Winnipeg creating the White House was unbelievable and unique at the time (now many playoff cities copy this idea).
Actually, the Winnipeg Whiteout was itself a copycat. The Jets handed out white shirts in the 1984 playoffs (might have been 85) as a response to Calgary's C of Red. I loved last years playoffs when everyone in the final four started copying Calgary. The ocean of Teal, the Orange Crush, Tampa had a whiteout.

Old
11-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
Maybe not a showing of support for what he had done in recent years, maybe more a mark of respect, but when the Rocket died, i read that around 110,000 people walked by his coffin to pay their respects. I think that has to be worth a mention, especially as the only other mentions of him in this thread are about the riot.
I wonder how many of those saw Richard play.

Dick Irvin mentioned in his book that there was at least one parent lifting a little child up to see the rocket and speaking quietly to the child telling about him.

Old
11-04-2005, 04:32 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
...so what happened to it all? IIRC the Jets are no longer there, so who made off with $75 million?
You recall correctly

All money collected from the public was actually put into a trust fund, with the caveat that if not enough money could be found in time, it would be fully refundable. Any remainder from anyone who did not request their money back after the deal went south (literally) went to charity... the United Way, I believe.

The money from local businesses was not actually cash, rather a "pledge" to help fund the purchase if the deal could be worked out. These business owners would become shareholders in the team, a la Edmonton.

Old
11-04-2005, 04:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
I was at both. The white outs in Winnipeg get the slight edge. The Red Mile was huge and the atmosphere was crazy - but it was highly geared towards partying and getting hammered. Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you. But the white outs were all about the team and getting them pumped up for the game. The noise in the Winnipeg Arena was amazing. For that, the Winnipeg White Out's get the edge.
This was just what I was going to say. I saw interviews with some girls(and guys) from the 'Red Mile,' and some of them weren't even hockey fans. It's like Mardi Gras...people go to party, but few of them know what the actual holiday is commemorating. That's not to say I'm painting everyone with the same brush, but it'd be misleading to say that the Red Mile was solely the city of Calgary's outpouring of love for the Flames. It was an excuse to party, and we'd all take part if geographically feasible, regardless of our sentiments toward the Flames.

Old
11-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Resolute

Yup. It was a great excuse to party, and yet the ever idiotic Bicycle Bruce Dowbiggin actually wrote that the Flames playoff run was BAD for Calgary buisnesses.

Old
11-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
Yup. It was a great excuse to party, and yet the ever idiotic Bicycle Bruce Dowbiggin actually wrote that the Flames playoff run was BAD for Calgary buisnesses.

Somebody actually wrote that? Wow...

Old
11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Well, Winnipeg copied it from Vancouver. Roger Neilson "invented" it back in '82.
Except they "stole" it from other teams first (like much of what Roger Neilson is credited for), such as Winnipeg. The Leafs never even made the playoffs in the days that Winnipeg did the whiteout. And VFancouver in 1982? Not even close to the support of the Jets faithful later on!

Old
11-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
I was at both. The white outs in Winnipeg get the slight edge. The Red Mile was huge and the atmosphere was crazy - but it was highly geared towards partying and getting hammered. Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you. But the white outs were all about the team and getting them pumped up for the game. The noise in the Winnipeg Arena was amazing. For that, the Winnipeg White Out's get the edge.
Red-Out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calgary_red.jpg‎ (248.1 KB, 42 views)

Old
11-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken
Red-Out.
C-of-Red

But that is still a great picture nonetheless.

Old
11-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
C-of-Red

But that is still a great picture nonetheless.
I was being a sarcastic ***** about the 'white-out'

Go Flames Go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regehr_03.jpg‎ (37.7 KB, 17 views)

Old
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
When the Flyers win the Cup there will be utter mass hysteria. We might burn down the city.

Now just think what would happen if the Eagles ever win.
hopefully get a nice plasma TV and some jewlery when people start looting

Old
11-15-2005, 12:28 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Red-Out.
Wow, I've never seen a larger gathering of bandwagon jumpers in one place!

Old
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikk
Sure you have http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...86&postcount=6

Old
11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:

It's called 7 year playoff drought to one of the most loyal hockey markets in the league (You'd have to be loyal after 7 years).

It was like that in the first series against the Canucks, not just the final against Tampa.

Old
11-15-2005, 01:05 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Red-Out.
Heh, you gotta feel for the 2 or 3 people in the stands in your thumbnailed picture wearing their white Flames jerseys.

You can imagine them looking around, feeling rather sheepish.

Old
11-15-2005, 01:28 PM
HeavyD

Quote:
yep, If you look closely, most of them still have the price tags on their jersey's

Old
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Hab-a-maniac

I guess I'd echo some of the sentiments on the board. Having been caught up in the middle of the Red Mile thing (I worked at the 'Dome), I must say it was the craziest reaction to sports that I've ever witnessed/seen. But I'm privy to believe many people were just there to party and get drunk. Lots could've given a crap about hockey. It was just a rallying point to get wasted. When (I refrain from the word "if") the Flames make the playoffs again this year, it will take a series victory to bring bandwagoners back out. Stupid non-sports media around here was actually covering the fact that no one went out onto the red mile after the Flames first home game! As if the season opener was just as exciting as defeating Detroit in game 6 OT. They actually sounded surprised and deflated at the fact .

Anyway, I'm betting we'd see even crazier fanaticism in Canadian cities where a cup has been absent for over a decade, such as Toronto. But the people of Montreal and Vancouver take the cake. They went nuts last time their teams were involved in the final and I expect it to be even worse next time. Vancouver will need to declare martial law and Montreal will have to bring in the entire police forces of Quebec. The fan support would be tremendous as well. I dunno, I guess I just doubt people in T.O. are capable of tearing a city apart in a fiery inferno if their Leafs won the big one. They seem too polite and restrained. Calgary's atmosphere was like that but more festive and fun-loving as there weren't really any violent outbreaks of rioting. Although there were many drunken fights in isolated incidents around the Saddledome/17th ave. areas.

Old
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan313
When the Leafs win the cup every thing you'll see on the streets in Toronto is Blue and White.
If....

Old
11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
Are you joking? What was his reasoning? I know people with businesses there, and that couldnt be further from the truth.

Old
11-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99
Well said, the next Canadian team to win the cup will have the whole country going nuts! It seems like decades since a Canadian team last won the cup... and your right if TO won the cup it just might be the biggest party (country wide) in the history of sports (Red Sox would've been huge though to)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
If any Canadian city can have the same success as the Flames did in 2004, you can be certain that you'd see a similar scene. God forbid, but if the Leafs were to get to the Finals, they'd have a crazy scene, and considering their population, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the biggest parades ever seen (sports related). Montreal would be insane too. As Canadians, I think our thirst for the game, and appreciation for the Stanley Cup have only been heightened after not seeing the Cup here for 12 years.

you guys seem not to know what your 're talking about. 1st, i'm not sure people in Quebec would go nuts if ever Leafs would won the cup. But if ever they would, or even any canadian team (and i know it would be insane if montreal would win) would won the cup, it wouldn't be comparable to soccer world cups. Hockey is a religion in canada but so is soccer all around the world, and even more. When france won the cup, it wasn't descriptible. And what about a month ago when Ivory coast only qualified for the next World Cup, millions of people were in the streets. Can you imagine if this kind of country would win...it would be the whole Africa under the soccer fenzy.

Old
11-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed
you guys seem not to know what your 're talking about. 1st, i'm not sure people in Quebec would go nuts if ever Leafs would won the cup. But if ever they would, or even any canadian team (and i know it would be insane if montreal would win) would won the cup, it wouldn't be comparable to soccer world cups. Hockey is a religion in canada but so is soccer all around the world, and even more. When france won the cup, it wasn't descriptible. And what about a month ago when Ivory coast only qualified for the next World Cup, millions of people were in the streets. Can you imagine if this kind of country would win...it would be the whole Africa under the soccer fenzy.

Don't talk about France winning the WC...I'm Italian

Closed Thread