HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Draisaitl (aka 3rd/4th overall pick) to the Pens

Old
05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Then will it really blow your mind (and your point) when I tell you that Maata + 2nd is way more enticing than Letang? It's not that we are valuing the pick too highly, we are just not valuing Letang as you are. Even the biggest fan has to admit his recent injury concerns (along with his contract) are at least a little off-putting.
Not really. I can see people getting put off by the stroke... but when the doctors are telling him a 0.01% chance of ever having a 2nd one, and that if he ever did it wouldn't be because of hockey, that puts it to rest in my mind.

As for his contract... People really need to wake up in terms of that, and where contracts are going. Weber/Suter's contract over the first 8 years is 11.5m/10m. Keith's first 8 years is 7.21m and that was signed 4 years ago. Letang at 7.25m isn't bad. It's not a bargain, but it's not a bad contract. Pittsburgh fans wouldn't mind moving him due to our depth on the blueline, the fact that he's our most expendable (and highest valued replaceable piece) and a brutal need for offensive wingers.

05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
McShogun99

If Mac T wanted to take a gamble on a #1 defenceman then Letang might be the guy. 3rd OA would be to much and Pittsburgh would have to take a little salary back. I'll present two offers, one involving the 3rd OA and one without it.

Deal 1: Gagner for Letang
Deal 2:3rd OA and 2015 2nd for Letang, Suter, 2014 2nd and 2014 3rd

These only happens if Ekblad is taken top 2.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
If Mac T wanted to take a gamble on a #1 defenceman then Letang might be the guy. 3rd OA would be to much and Pittsburgh would have to take a little salary back. I'll present two offers, one involving the 3rd OA and one without it.

Hilariously bad for us. The only way that isn't a disaster is if Letang's career is bound to be ****ed from now on.

As an Edmonton fan, are you not supposed to be vaccinated against believing that lottery picks are the cure all now?

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:54 AM
penguins2946*

Quote:

Gagner for Letang? Are you serious? That's absolutely pathetic, and the 2nd isn't better.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Not really. I can see people getting put off by the stroke... but when the doctors are telling him a 0.01% chance of ever having a 2nd one, and that if he ever did it wouldn't be because of hockey, that puts it to rest in my mind.

As for his contract... People really need to wake up in terms of that, and where contracts are going. Weber/Suter's contract over the first 8 years is 11.5m/10m. Keith's first 8 years is 7.21m and that was signed 4 years ago. Letang at 7.25m isn't bad. It's not a bargain, but it's not a bad contract. Pittsburgh fans wouldn't mind moving him due to our depth on the blueline, the fact that he's our most expendable (and highest valued replaceable piece) and a brutal need for offensive wingers.
If the doctors are saying that about his stroke, that's very good news, and something I had not heard before. But it is not just the stroke, there are also the concussions.

You are correct that Letang's contract is in no way horrible; I understand the changing economics of the game. I just think that with that value and term, I would not want it to be for a guy with (what I perceive as) potential injury issues. Would it keep me from making the deal. No, probably not, but it would subtract somewhat from the value. It also means I would value Maata+2nd over Letang.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Riptide

Quote:

lol. Counter. Sutter for Eberle+.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
McShogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokouna Maattata View Post
Gagner for Letang? Are you serious? That's absolutely pathetic, and the 2nd isn't better.
Yeah, it's pretty bad but taking on Letangs contract is a huge gamble if he gets another concussion or can't live up to it. Healthy Letang is worth the 3rd OA+. At this point I wouldn't want to give up anything substantial for him.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty bad but taking on Letangs contract is a huge gamble if he gets another concussion or can't live up to it. Healthy Letang is worth the 3rd OA+. At this point I wouldn't want to give up anything substantial for him.
The Pens aren't trying to dump Letang for cap space. There would be absolutely no reason for the Pens to trade him for Sam Gagner. Personally speaking I wouldn't trade him for 3OA either, although I could at least somewhat see the logic behind people who would.

With the way Maatta played this season I wouldn't trade him straight up for 3OA, let alone add a 2nd.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Kyle VanEdmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Letang's stroke didn't have anything to do with concussions, though.

I seriously doubt that. Pittsburgh has some of the best doctors and hospitals in the US and no doctor in his right mind would risk his medical license to make a hockey player - let alone hockey fans - happy.

Well it's not Pens doctors, it's some of the most respected neurologists in the country. But whatever, we'll enjoy him. Personally I'm glad he's ours to keep, especially if it's for a draft pick.

Since when did this thread become all about the Oilers anyway?

Ok I'll agree too the doctor probably being considered one of the best. But there is no risk of him losing his license by making that statement. And doctors have been covering things up for athletes for decades.....in like every sport....its pretty common knowledge. I'm not saying what he says is wrong....but I wouldn't ever claim it as a fact.

Kyle VanEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Kyle VanEdmonton

Quote:

As an Oilers fan I would take either of these trades. I think this post is going to make Pittsburgh fans angry though.....they don't want Gagner....no ones does

Kyle VanEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
spaghtti

Looking over this thread again, can't help but notice that both teams holding pick #3 and #4 are not interested in the risks associated with Letang. I would suggest that instead of offering Letang in this situation you may want to change up the offer.

spaghtti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:22 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghtti View Post
Looking over this thread again, can't help but notice that both teams holding pick #3 and #4 are not interested in the risks associated with Letang. I would suggest that instead of offering Letang in this situation you may want to change up the offer.
Letang is a great player - no question about that. But no matter what the doctors say, no team is going to offer full value for him right now.

The Pens would likely be best to hang onto him, because trading him now would involve selling low.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
spaghtti

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Letang is a great player - no question about that. But no matter what the doctors say, no team is going to offer full value for him right now.

The Pens would likely be best to hang onto him, because trading him now would involve selling low.
As an Oilers Fan I couldn't agree more!! If Yakupov's value takes a nose dive for a sophomore season Letang's value should definitely do the same after concussions and having a stroke

Edit: And personally I think a sophomore slump is much less risky than the health concerns

spaghtti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Ho Borvat

IF for some reason Draistatl were to fall to #6

Vancouver
Derrick Pouliot
1st Round Pick

Pittsburgh
6th Overall (Leon Draisaitl)
2nd Round Pick (36th)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:57 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
You'd have to be nuts to trade someone of Draisaitl's caliber. There's way too much risk for it to backfire.

This draft gets unwarranted criticism about having a weak top end; that's only because it doesn't have a Stamkos/Tavares at the helm. But the top 5 as a whole is very strong, and each player has had a case made for 1st overall. I highly doubt GM's are interested in trading those picks.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:58 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

Vancouver
Derrick Pouliot
1st Round Pick

Pittsburgh
2nd Round Pick (36th)
Eh it's not bad, but I wouldn't jump over it. I really like Pouliot, that's the big problem here. I think Pouliot for the 6th pick is pretty fair already, especially after Pouliot's fantastic season and winning the WHL D of the year award.

Edit: after seeing more stuff about Draisaitl (mainly his size), I'd do this deal. Yeah, dropping 10-12 spots will suck, but we'll get a legit F prospect, and Letang's reemergence makes Pouliot more available.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Eh it's not bad, but I wouldn't jump over it. I really like Pouliot, that's the big problem here. I think Pouliot for the 6th pick is pretty fair already, especially after Pouliot's fantastic season and winning the WHL D of the year award.

Edit: after seeing more stuff about Draisaitl (mainly his size), I'd do this deal. Yeah, dropping 10-12 spots will suck, but we'll get a legit F prospect, and Letang's reemergence makes Pouliot more available.
I feel like we will run into a situation where a good player will drop to #6 due to other teams reaching a bit (ie, Calgary grabbing Ritchie, NYI grabbing Nylander/Ehlers).

At #6 Dal Colle/Draisaitl/Bennett could drop a spot of 2. (wishful thinking)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:09 PM
GetThePuckOut

Calgary grabbing Ritchie is beyond wishful thinking. Burke and Treliving aren't that stupid. They've stated they're drafting BPA, and Ritchie is clearly not BPA at #4. Calgary's scouts have done a great job the past 4 years so they'll understand that.

The top 5 ranked will go top 5; I'd bet any money on that. There's no way that Draisaitl goes passed that IMO.

Old
05-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:

Vancouver
Derrick Pouliot
1st Round Pick

Pittsburgh
2nd Round Pick (36th)
if Leon makes it to 6, canucks draft him and keep him.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:39 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOut View Post
Calgary grabbing Ritchie is beyond wishful thinking. Burke and Treliving aren't that stupid. They've stated they're drafting BPA, and Ritchie is clearly not BPA at #4. Calgary's scouts have done a great job the past 4 years so they'll understand that.

The top 5 ranked will go top 5; I'd bet any money on that. There's no way that Draisaitl goes passed that IMO.
Mark Jankowski says hello.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faulker View Post
Canes will take Letang or Matta for #7
do you even salary cap bro?

Maatta for #7 of course, but Pittsburgh probably doesn't take that.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:49 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Mark Jankowski says hello.
It's still way too early to judge that one. Maatta would have been a better pick (for many teams), but you can't say that Jankowski was a bad pick yet. He's still really young and has developed a strong defensive game in Providence. He just needs to break out offensively now for it to look like a solid pick. And if not, that was apparently the one draft where Weisbrod was at the helm, so it's kind of an anomaly and shouldn't even count against Calgary's scouts.

And there are enough good picks to counter the Jankowski pick. Guys like Granlund, Wotherspoon, Reinhart, Arnold, Gaudreau, and others have all looked very good with their recent cups of coffee. And Burke stated when he came to Calgary, that he thought the Flames had one of the best drafts of 2013; particularly with the Klimchuk and Poirier picks. So all things considered, it seems probable that he will defer to Tod Button and Calgary's scouting staff.

Old
05-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
When people crap on the draft, it's not usually with the top tier prospects (as there's usually a couple good ones at the top), but with the depth of the draft. Either the better prospects in the mid 1st round, or good prospects later in the 1st/2nd round.

I don't think anyone denies that there's the top 3, then another group that extends to the top 10/12 or so. After that it's kind of a coin toss depending on what/who people like more.
.................. Well....

Quote:
The top of this draft isn't strong, and Maatta is a much safer bet at this point than any of the top picks.
Quote:

Vancouver
Derrick Pouliot
1st Round Pick

Pittsburgh
2nd Round Pick (36th)
Hell no. That's horrible. 6th Overall >> Pouliot.

And their first isn't going to be much better than our 2nd.

Quote:

Not bad?

That pick is guaranteed to get your one of Dal Colle, Draisaitl or Ehlers, and if it doesn't that means your getting an even better player.

0 chance the Canucks do it.

Coming from someone who really wanted Pouliot in his draft year, and is a big fan of the kid. The deal is terrible from the Nucks POV.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:26 PM
66-29-33

6th OV is better then Pouliot? he was drafted 8th overall in a stronger draft and has had a year of developement. WTF??????????

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote