HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Contraction Part I (Mod Warning - Post #15)

Old
05-27-2014, 04:41 PM
punchonico99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post
You think they will be able to in such a short time? To me it seems that the conflict will take much more time to be resolved...
Donbass' owner says so.

punchonico99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchonico99 View Post
Donbass' owner says so.
He knows less than Jon Snow.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
aemoreira1981

Following just the political situation, I find it hard to believe that Donbass will play next season, after their home arena was partially torched. The arena might be repairable, but the political instability in eastern Ukraine probably will preclude hockey being played there for at least part of if not the entire season. Donetsk already had to play home games in Slovakia.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 03:11 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
The league isn’t immune to the crisis in Ukraine. Dinamo Riga may leave the KHL due to the conflict, former Latvian President and Dinamo Riga board member Guntis Ulmanis said on March 19.
Yeah, and was immediately bashed by the fans.
Ulmanos didn't seem to understand the idea of international league too well, nor did he think his words through I think.
That was a typical populist statement that had the opposite effect.

1. Spartak
2. Metallurg Nk
3. Yugra/Sochi

That gives us 27 teams. If they can fill the remaining five spots with, for example, Red Bull Munich/Salzburg, Malmo Redhawks, Eisbaren Berlin, Valerenga Oslo, and any other Finnish, Swedish or Swiss club, that'd be great.

Last edited by fedfed; 05-30-2014 at 03:31 AM..
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 03:33 AM
BlueBratislava

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Following just the political situation, I find it hard to believe that Donbass will play next season, after their home arena was partially torched. The arena might be repairable, but the political instability in eastern Ukraine probably will preclude hockey being played there for at least part of if not the entire season. Donetsk already had to play home games in Slovakia.
And probably will in 2014/2015, Slovakian media are already talking about this as a realistic alternative since Medvedev said the 2 alternatives are Minsk and Bratislava. In the spring one Play-Off game was 20,000€ (to organize) without any profit to the Slovnaft Arena's Owner which is the City of Bratislava. If they will want to play further at Slovnaft Arena on a stable basis, the price will be higher.

BlueBratislava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Yeah, and was immediately bashed by the fans.
Ulmanos didn't seem to understand the idea of international league too well, nor did he think his words through I think.
That was a typical populist statement that had the opposite effect.

1. Spartak
2. Metallurg Nk
3. Yugra/Sochi

That gives us 27 teams. If they can fill the remaining five spots with, for example, Red Bull Munich/Salzburg, Malmo Redhawks, Eisbaren Berlin, Valerenga Oslo, and any other Finnish, Swedish or Swiss club, that'd be great.
Neither of the bolded are happening. Malmö already signed a new agreement with the arena. There's also no sponsors in Finland for two KHL teams. Even Roman Rotenberg said it's not a realistic idea.

Old
05-30-2014, 10:50 AM
thevreelander

The political situation in the Ukraine might keep Donbass out of the KHL next season, but I don't believe the arena issue will. Druzhba Arena was burned, but isn't Kalmius Arena suppose to be operational for 2014-2015? I still believe a year or two out of the KHL is a good idea for Donbass until political stability happens in the Ukraine (it will eventually).

thevreelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
bobbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
The political situation in the Ukraine might keep Donbass out of the KHL next season, but I don't believe the arena issue will. Druzhba Arena was burned, but isn't Kalmius Arena suppose to be operational for 2014-2015? I still believe a year or two out of the KHL is a good idea for Donbass until political stability happens in the Ukraine (it will eventually).
no its set for 15/16 season now since the delays because of the "situation" and Ukrain is still officially doing the eurobasket 2015. They just asked for a delay and got it till June to see if they will still be organizing it. So all the arenas (6 i think) and an a new airport terminal in Odessa will be built till 2015 early spring.

I think Donbass needs to stay in KHL. they are the only driving force of hockey in Ukrain, including their regional hockey school program except the short on funds HC Kiev Berkut. They give the publicity to the sport there. i mean more than half the ice rinks are in Donetsk, Kiev and Kharkov. And Kharkov doesnt even have a proper team. Currently i am guessing they all feed Donbass with juniors since only the junior part of the clubs exist in those places. If they go out of KHL it would most likely destroy everything as i really dont know which league they would play in than.

bobbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 06:08 PM
alce*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeaver View Post
no its set for 15/16 season now since the delays because of the "situation" and Ukrain is still officially doing the eurobasket 2015. They just asked for a delay and got it till June to see if they will still be organizing it. So all the arenas (6 i think) and an a new airport terminal in Odessa will be built till 2015 early spring.

I think Donbass needs to stay in KHL. they are the only driving force of hockey in Ukrain, including their regional hockey school program except the short on funds HC Kiev Berkut. They give the publicity to the sport there. i mean more than half the ice rinks are in Donetsk, Kiev and Kharkov. And Kharkov doesnt even have a proper team. Currently i am guessing they all feed Donbass with juniors since only the junior part of the clubs exist in those places. If they go out of KHL it would most likely destroy everything as i really dont know which league they would play in than.
Sadly, but I think that Donbass is dead case as of now. Even if civil war would be ended (which isn't looking that way), economical state of Ukraine could prevent participating in KHL. Plus whoever wins that war, Kolesnikov business would be in serious danger.

alce* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 06:14 PM
bobbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alce View Post
Sadly, but I think that Donbass is dead case as of now. Even if civil war would be ended (which isn't looking that way), economical state of Ukraine could prevent participating in KHL. Plus whoever wins that war, Kolesnikov business would be in serious danger.
well lets hope you are wrong ... I sincerely do, atleast there was no mention of it at all anywhere they are gona quite.

bobbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:32 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I wonder, can Donbass temporarily move to Rostov may be??? There's the same arena as Druzhba being renovated the same way as Druzhba was...they wouldn't even know, they went elsewhere.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 03:59 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I wonder, can Donbass temporarily move to Rostov may be??? There's the same arena as Druzhba being renovated the same way as Druzhba was...they wouldn't even know, they went elsewhere.
Relocating to Russia in this political climate? No way is that going to happen.

Urbanskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:10 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanskog View Post
Relocating to Russia in this political climate? No way is that going to happen.
Not your fault of course, but this is showing how little western media has covered the insights. rostov and donetsk are not only close in distance, but in spirit as well. Many have travaeld across the border to support shakhtior. I only suggested this as a temp meausre to weather the storm

Old
05-31-2014, 08:59 AM
quartus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Not your fault of course, but this is showing how little western media has covered the insights. rostov and donetsk are not only close in distance, but in spirit as well. Many have travaeld across the border to support shakhtior. I only suggested this as a temp meausre to weather the storm
No, western media have given plenty information about all the russians in eastern Ukraine. It's probably just Urbanskog not really following. But just moving the team for a year wouldn't be a good idea anyway, I think. Too many practical problems to solve and what exactly would the fans do?

quartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 12:34 AM
loppa*

Bye Donbas... https://my.news.yahoo.com/east-ukrai...0077--spt.html

loppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 09:30 AM
cska78

Looks like Lev is done....that sux

Old
06-25-2014, 09:42 AM
swosh
Im pink hair niггa

Lev Praha Bankrupt

I had really liked KHL expansion and high quality hockey in Prague, but it was luxus. It cant work without donators, fundamentally it is smile offensive project by Russia public companies.

After Ukraine crisis i will not miss it. Maybe another one by 5 or 10 years without inflated budgets?

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-...-a-zanika.html

I guess If there were not ban on alcohol ad, Lev would find sponsors

Last edited by swosh; 06-25-2014 at 10:20 AM..
swosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 09:57 AM
maxim84

If Lev fans are interested in throwing eggs on the house of whoever was the owner/presindent/head honcho in the club....sign me in...was hoping for a great game in Zagreb and a chance for revenge after horrible playoff for us and now that idea goes down the drain... So sorry to hear that...

maxim84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Not good to hear. I was expecting Helsinki vs. Praha games.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim84 View Post
If Lev fans are interested in throwing eggs on the house of whoever was the owner/presindent/head honcho in the club....sign me in...was hoping for a great game in Zagreb and a chance for revenge after horrible playoff for us and now that idea goes down the drain... So sorry to hear that...
There were rumors last summer that the Russian owners wanted the team to show signs of economic sustainability and success or they'd pull out their backing. I guess that happened now.

Old
06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
billy piton

what a shame

definitely not a good sign for the khl. lev was one of the most important part of khl expanssion but it also seems that many teams are in trouble. spartak and lev folded, donbass is on hold due to political situation, atlant, novokuznjeck, amur and few others have serious financial issues.

competeing with the nhl that has almost 4 bln $ income was serious risk and now with possibilty of escalation of the ukrainian crisis the goverment obviously decided that money is needed somewhere else.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Torsten S
@tsc2912

What I don't understand is what the owners did expect here after two seasons. And even if they have had sold out the stadium over and over again, the minus would not be much lower with these cheap ticket prices.

At the end a club like this in Central Europe is always a kind of advertising for the league itself and the funding must be sure for five to ten years minimum.

Last edited by Torsten S; 06-25-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Torsten S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 12:37 PM
SoundAndFury

Donbass out, Lev out, Spartak out, Riga in great uncertainty, CSKA seem to have their budget cut.. KHL is a bust!1!!

Edit: Oh and Atlant too

"Here's a statistic, the average person in the world has less than 2 legs. Which is absolutely correct but somewhat misleading."
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
punchonico99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Donbass out, Lev out, Spartak out, Riga in great uncertainty, CSKA seem to have their budget cut.. KHL is a bust!1!!

Edit: Oh and Atlant too
Riga now?

punchonico99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Jablkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten S View Post
What I don't understand is what the owners did expect here after two seasons. And even if they have had sold out the stadium over and over again, the minus would not be much lower with these cheap ticket prices.

At the end a club like this in Central Europe is always a kind of advertising for the league itself and the funding must be sure for five to ten years minimum.
No offence to any russians here, but it seems to be part of mentality there. They just wanted to have it bigger and bigger no matter what will be tommorrow. Just dreamers thought that this project could work.....

Jablkon is offline   Reply With Quote