HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Centers for Manchester please...

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 08:38 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Centers for Manchester please...

Manchester is down a center with Lehoux bolting to Russia and probably needed to acquire a second line center anyway. So, any thoughts on where DT might come up with two centers that can handle top line and PP duties in Manchester? Tambellini, Roussin, Kanko, Clarke and they rest of the guys need some centers...

Old
08-17-2005, 09:25 PM
KingsFan7824

Is the AHL going back to 11 forwards per game, or are they sticking with 12?

Is Matt Ryan strickly a energy type guy, or can he maybe step up a line in his 2nd year?

Cammalleri might end up with Manchester again. Isn't Steckel still hanging around too?

The Kings have 26 forwards under contract. 14(unless teams start keeping 13 around more often with the new CBA) will be with the Kings. That leaves 12 in Manchester(if not one or two in the ECHL, although not sure who). Not too many spots left to add anyone.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Capn Brown

Could, perchance, one of the wingers be converted to a center?

Old
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824
Is the AHL going back to 11 forwards per game, or are they sticking with 12?
I haven't heard anything official yet but my guess is that the AHL will go back to 19-man game rosters...

Quote:
Is Matt Ryan strickly a energy type guy, or can he maybe step up a line in his 2nd year?
I don't think Matt's ready to center a top line or PP unit...

Quote:
Cammalleri might end up with Manchester again.
Anything's possible, but the Kings aren't that deep...

Quote:
Isn't Steckel still hanging around too?
Yes, good 3rd or 4th line center...

Quote:
The Kings have 26 forwards under contract. 14(unless teams start keeping 13 around more often with the new CBA) will be with the Kings. That leaves 12 in Manchester(if not one or two in the ECHL, although not sure who). Not too many spots left to add anyone.
The Kings can have up to 50 NHL contracts. They typically sign a few guys to AHL/ECHL deals. Problem is that there's nobody currently in the pipeline that's due into Manchester next season either...

Old
08-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Peter James Bond

I've read that Roussin can play left wing or center.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:53 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond
I've read that Roussin can play left wing or center.
Very nice!!!! Thanks for that bit of good news...

Old
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Anything's possible, but the Kings aren't that deep...
More of a numbers game than anything.

11 forwards have played at least 156 NHL games(the only two under 200 games are Avery and Frolov). With the AHL getting younger and younger(and the NHL salary cap), you won't see too many guys that have played that many games in the NHL down on the farm.

One of Flinn or Parros apparently will make the team(unless they invite some other enforcer type to camp). Murray may not dress a fighter every game, but the Kings always have one on the roster. That's 12.

The reason Kostopoulos was going to sign with the Kings last summer was because they were willing to give him a one-way contract. If that still holds, that's 13.

That leaves Cammalleri and Brown. If it were up to me, they would both be there. But when not only Frolov, but Bure also signed, that muddled things up. If I had to guess, I'd say Brown makes it over Cammalleri after training camp. But then again, maybe he doesn't.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:09 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
More of a numbers game than anything.

11 forwards have played at least 156 NHL games(the only two under 200 games are Avery and Frolov). With the AHL getting younger and younger(and the NHL salary cap), you won't see too many guys that have played that many games in the NHL down on the farm.

One of Flinn or Parros apparently will make the team(unless they invite some other enforcer type to camp). Murray may not dress a fighter every game, but the Kings always have one on the roster. That's 12.

The reason Kostopoulos was going to sign with the Kings last summer was because they were willing to give him a one-way contract. If that still holds, that's 13.

That leaves Cammalleri and Brown. If it were up to me, they would both be there. But when not only Frolov, but Bure also signed, that muddled things up. If I had to guess, I'd say Brown makes it over Cammalleri after training camp. But then again, maybe he doesn't.
All good points. There will be injuries, maybe even as early as during training camp. As I said, they're not that deep. Beyond Clarke, there are no forwards in the system with any NHL time except for Brad Smyth and he's likely making more than $75k on the AHL side so he might spend the season in Manchester...

Old
08-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Kearney

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chartrand signed for a Manchester assignment. Perfect depth guy in case we lead the league in injuries as usual.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him at Kings training camp.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:26 AM
HeadInjury

Pushkaryov can play center. He was listed as a center when the Kings drafted him.

Old
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Chartrand

I'm hoping that Push/Roussin, or whatever unproven talent you can name aren't pulling top-line duty in Manchester.

I'd rather them actually prove that they belong in the professional ranks first before forcing them to keep the Monarchs' collective heads above water.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:41 AM
fanforsure

Centers

I think Matt Ryan may suprise you this season. I think with more experience he can be much more than just an energy player.

Old
08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanforsure
I think Matt Ryan may suprise you this season. I think with more experience he can be much more than just an energy player.
I would prefer that the Monarchs don't head into the 05-06 season with Matt Ryan as their #1 center. He's simply not ready for that role and I think the 2nd line role is a stretch for him at this point in his development. In an interview on nhsportsradio.com, Gilmore indicated something to the effect of they're looking for Matt to develop or mature into a second line role in Manchester. Putting a guy into a role that he's not ready for can be a bad thing when it comes to development. Manchester fans can be, and have been brutal toward Monarchs players that don't produce. Thousands of fans booing a player is not a good thing for the player...

Old
08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I still think that maybe Kelly gets brought back?

Are there any other viable options out there?

Old
08-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

How about Andre Savage for Manchester? He's a center at the prime age of 30 and is an AHL veteran.

And is it possible for the Kings to re-sign Pirnes or Chartrand? They both could be formidable centers on Manchester. Pirnes could center one of the top two lines and Chartrand can replace Steckel's spot as the checking line center. The Monarchs could also use his hard working, gritty checking and leadership.

Old
08-26-2005, 01:53 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Roussin, Tukonen, Pushkarev can all play center

Old
08-26-2005, 04:14 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Roussin, Tukonen, Pushkarev can all play center
But is that what's best for their development???

There's probably a long list of guys in the Kings organization that "can all play" center, that certainly doesn't make it the right thing to do...

Pushkarev could have a hard time just cracking the Monarchs roster out of camp, he couldn't do it last year when he was assigned here after his Junior season ended...Don't be too surprised if he ends up in the E (Bakersfield or Reading) or maybe back in the Juniors if they'll take his as a overager...

Roussin is a rookie coming out of the Q, That makes him a good candidate for a third line center...

Tukonen? Sure if the Kings project him as a center in L.A. might just as well move him to center in Manchester and start the transition now...

Last edited by King Blazer: 08-26-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Closed Thread