HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVII

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
I'm not looking to get infracted (though I probably will anyway), but I thought maybe I'd bring this up...

As a Pens fan living in split Flyers/Caps country (Harrisburg PA), it seems like the general consensus is that even if the Pens somehow pull off a miracle and win the cup, it won't count because we didn't have to beat the Flyers to get there.

So just in the instance that you think our fanbase doesn't take you seriously, we do. To the point where we think it doesn't even count if we didn't have to climb your mountain first.

And all the same, I realize I completely deserve any slings and arrows I take for posting here...
A Cup is a Cup. The playoffs are about being lucky just as much as they are about being good. There's a reason Flyers fans were hoping to not get the Rangers in round one, and had they somehow dodged the Rangers, beaten the Pens, and won the Cup, you can bet none of us (or anyone else) would have been saying, "Yeah, but they didn't beat the Rangers".

Do I think the Flyers would have beaten the Pens? Yeah, I probably think so, but that's no more legitimate than blaming the bounces or the calls or the injuries or any other variable for losing. At the end of the day, you still have to win in order to win. Not much else matters. There are thousands of variables. Tweaking any one of them could change the results; no reason to magnify any one variable to minimize the feat of winning the Cup.

Old
05-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Roman Reigns
One Versus All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Fair enough, but you guys have had our number ever since 2010. You recognized the moments that sucked your momentum dry (Roberts pounding Eager, Talbot suckering Carcillo), and adjusted.

In the case of the Orange and Black, what would be more satisfying? Lucking into perfect matchups the whole way through, or having to overcome their rivals (let's say PGH Round 1, NJD Round 2, TML in Round 3, and either CHI (revenge for 2010) or LAK (proving trading away Richards and Carter wasn't a mistake) in the Finals...
Obviously the latter would add a cherry on top so to speak, but I would be happy with perfect matchups all the way through as well.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Habs vs Pens I would puke watching. Hate both of them.
would rather have Montreal in the East Final then Boston.
cant stand the ****ing Bruins. I consider Montreal the lesser of the 2 evils.

Old
05-08-2014, 01:03 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Mesz is back playing and has now played in 4 of 8 games. He needs to play in 2/3 of B games and for Boston to reach the conference finals for the pick to be a second. As such, I am going for the B's as long as Mesz is in the lineup.

Old
05-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I wish Tortorella was still the coach there, the sound bites could have been epic with the schedule setup & the Rangers play in general.
I think the soundbites will still be epic, but you'll probably have to turn the volume down a bit. The amount of whine coming out of Vigneault might be unbearable and it'll be like fingernails on a blackboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Rangers look exhausted. Only Pittsburgh could get this lucky with scheduling
From what I understand, it's due to events at MSG, though, isn't it? So in a sense, the Rangers did it to themselves and they really have no one to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Habs vs Pens I would puke watching. Hate both of them.
Yeah, that would be terrible. I was really looking forward to the Rangers and the Bruins squaring off.

Quote:
Bryzgalov looked shaky often last night. He saw all of 18 shots, the Minnesota team looked like the Flyers doing their best to protect Leighton in 09-10; sheer desperation. He will fall apart if he gets tested, as usual.

I've seen this song and dance before. He puts up a .940 in a shaky performance then tanks back down to .820 for several games.
Come on, man, now you're really reaching. How can you not give him credit when he earns a shutout? I wish you'd change your mind when the facts change, it's the honorable thing to do

Apart from that, the Western conference series have been great. I'm really enjoying watching those, and even though the Blackhawks vs. the Wild has been a low shot affair, it's still awesome. The Wild defense is really nuts, though, and Bryz is definitely getting a lot of help by getting second opportunities cleared out of the zone. But that's how it should be, and that's how it is on the better teams. Hopefully the Wild win it, but I still see little chance in that. Maybe if Chicago plays Roszival more.

I'm not particularly pleased with how the Kings series is going, either, and I can't believe how good LA is has been in these last couple of playoffs. Martinez seems to be the Voynov of the year, ugh. Well, I guess I can at least be happy for Kopitar.

Oh, and god damn, TSN's Jennifer Hedger is the single most annoying TV sportsperson I can think of right now. Those voice inflections are making me lose it.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:13 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I think the soundbites will still be epic, but you'll probably have to turn the volume down a bit. The amount of whine coming out of Vigneault might be unbearable and it'll be like fingernails on a blackboard

From what I understand, it's due to events at MSG, though, isn't it? So in a sense, the Rangers did it to themselves and they really have no one to blame.

Yeah, that would be terrible. I was really looking forward to the Rangers and the Bruins squaring off.

Come on, man, now you're really reaching. How can you not give him credit when he earns a shutout? I wish you'd change your mind when the facts change, it's the honorable thing to do

Apart from that, the Western conference series have been great. I'm really enjoying watching those, and even though the Blackhawks vs. the Wild has been a low shot affair, it's still awesome. The Wild defense is really nuts, though, and Bryz is definitely getting a lot of help by getting second opportunities cleared out of the zone. But that's how it should be, and that's how it is on the better teams. Hopefully the Wild win it, but I still see little chance in that. Maybe if Chicago plays Roszival more.

I'm not particularly pleased with how the Kings series is going, either, and I can't believe how good LA is has been in these last couple of playoffs. Martinez seems to be the Voynov of the year, ugh. Well, I guess I can at least be happy for Kopitar.

Oh, and god damn, TSN's Jennifer Hedger is the single most annoying TV sportsperson I can think of right now. Those voice inflections are making me lose it.
His shutout was on par with what Leighton was doing against Montreal...mostly a product of his team's play. I'll call him a good goaltender when he actually proves he's a good goaltender and there aren't clear asterisks. But even then the piece of **** will always be a lazy, garbage-eating, Stalin-loving bum in my eyes for the way he handled his tenure in Philly.

05-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Striiker
Non-factor

Bryz is a horrible goalie... are there actually a few people who are going to defend him? Just watch him play... even in the rare games when he's not getting blown out, he looks incredibly shaky. I wouldn't trust him for a second because the only way he's winning a game is if the team in front of him is seriously limiting the other teams chances so all he has to do is stop the chest snipes.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:25 AM
SAINDON

The Rangers just look horrible. Can't move the puck, not getting shots off. Malkin had 14 shots last night and the Rangers had 15....

In our series at least the Rangers attacked with speed, crisp passes, and ran us around. Shoes on the other foot and they just look bad.

Staal had a pretty bad game.

Do you think Nash/Richards are back?

Old
05-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Hiesenberg

Its embarrassing that the Flyers lost to that trash team.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:29 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

It's like Rock - Paper - Scissors except Flyers - Rangers - Penguins.

Flyers beat Penguins but loses to Rangers
Penguins beat Rangers but loses to Flyers
Rangers beat Flyers but loses to Penguins

Old
05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
flyershockey

The Rangers in this series are not the same Rangers that the Flyers played. That schedule is kicking their ass, and the Staal/Stralman pair suddenly can't compensate for the McDonagh injury and Girardi looking like ****. The Rangers look like a team that's completely out of gas.

It doesn't help that "Mr. Canada" Dickie Nash has done absolutely nothing but miss the net on odd man rushes.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:03 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The Rangers in this series are not the same Rangers that the Flyers played. That schedule is kicking their ass, and the Staal/Stralman pair suddenly can't compensate for the McDonagh injury and Girardi looking like ****. The Rangers look like a team that's completely out of gas.

It doesn't help that "Mr. Canada" Dickie Nash has done absolutely nothing but miss the net on odd man rushes.
I used to be a huge Nash fan when he was in Columbus, but holy crap he sucks the last year or 2.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post

I knew the Rangers would be toast...the schedule isn't helping obviously but I could see the Rangers were wearing down vs the Flyers especially McDonagh and Girardi. McDonagh took some Rinaldo shots and one in particular had him wincing so I knew he would be less effective or out of the lineup at some point...same with Girardi. If the Flyers didn't decide to take off some periods in the effin playoffs the Rangers would have been golfing long ago. It's true what Hextall said ....the Flyers beat themselves more than the Rangers beat them...sad indeed.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Prongo
Beer

Connor McDavid drafted in the second round by a team in the KHL. We just lost a generational talent to the inferior KHL! NHL doomed.

05-08-2014, 11:05 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:

there is a young woman on sirus/xm radio who does the NHL recap Michelle Stillerno or something like that. probably butchered the last name. she is just awful. cant make a complete sentence without fumbling over her words.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:06 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Any of you guys ever listen to WIP at like 7am on a Sunday? That guy...

Old
05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
No one disputes this, but that's the advantage you get when you put teams away early. The Rangers didn't do that, and thus this ******** schedule is part of the equation whereas it wouldn't have been otherwise. Recent history says that if you want to win the Cup, you better put at least one of your opponents away quickly, so it matters.
The Bruins played three game sevens en route to their Cup, so that's not entirely true.

Edit: missed the 'at least one of' section in what I added in bold.... who's to say the Rangers wouldn't sweep the ECF, though? "At least one of" is a bit of cherry picking on your part.

05-08-2014, 11:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

blame the Dolans for scheduling concerts in May. You have a playoff caliber team and you are scheduling concerts in May. Heard it was an issue in Pittsburgh as well but not at the level it was in MSG.
Ill sacrifice a 2nd round pick to see the Bruins out early. not worth it for the crap I listen to every day around here.
Imagine the Leafs being a really good team and the Flyer fans in the Toronto area having to listen to it every ****ing day.
that's what I put up with. the sooner they are out the better.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Ryker

Quote:
His shutout was on par with what Leighton was doing against Montreal...mostly a product of his team's play. I'll call him a good goaltender when he actually proves he's a good goaltender and there aren't clear asterisks. But even then the piece of **** will always be a lazy, garbage-eating, Stalin-loving bum in my eyes for the way he handled his tenure in Philly.
I think it's fair enough to not like the guy and I understand that. But you could at least acknowledge when he does something well. He's proven in the past he can have not only good, but great performances, but you can't seem to come to grips with the fact that, while in general it might be true he's not a great goaltender and in fact now only an average NHL goalie, that doesn't say anything about how he does in a particular stretch of games. Again, every time there's a debate about something in particular, you come up with strawmen and arguments that have nothing to do with the question at hand. I'm not arguing about whether he's a great goalie or not, because in fact I don't think he is. But that has nothing to do with what I said above.

In any case, you still have to earn the shutout. It's not his role to earn a shutout despite how his team plays, it's his role to be as good as he can given the team in front of him. He did everything he could and needed last game, so it's really mind-boggling you can't even give him one game. One game, seriously. This time he didn't even lose in a shootout like he did here against the Islanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Bryz is a horrible goalie... are there actually a few people who are going to defend him? Just watch him play... even in the rare games when he's not getting blown out, he looks incredibly shaky. I wouldn't trust him for a second because the only way he's winning a game is if the team in front of him is seriously limiting the other teams chances so all he has to do is stop the chest snipes.
Does he have to look pretty as a princess for you to proclaim him as having a good game? He looked shaky on some plays, but incredibly secure on others. Who cares? He got it done, and that's all that matters. Either you make the save or you don't. But going from your last sentence you don't seem to have seen these last couple of games, so it's hard to have a debate.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:50 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
blame the Dolans for scheduling concerts in May. You have a playoff caliber team and you are scheduling concerts in May. Heard it was an issue in Pittsburgh as well but not at the level it was in MSG.
Ill sacrifice a 2nd round pick to see the Bruins out early. not worth it for the crap I listen to every day around here.
Imagine the Leafs being a really good team and the Flyer fans in the Toronto area having to listen to it every ****ing day.
that's what I put up with. the sooner they are out the better.
Yeah, Boston is quickly becoming one of the most hateable organizations in the league, but it has almost nothing do with their personnel. The Boston fanbase has just become god awful to deal with over the last couple of years.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Jtown

Quote:
we need boston in the eastern final to get a 2nd out of the mez deal

Old
05-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Hiesenberg

Pitt would beat Mont and I can't stomach having Pitt being closer to winning another cup.

If Pitt lines up against Boston, I'm confident they get demolished. Although anybody in the west could still smoke Pitt as well, except for Minnesota.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Pitt would beat Mont and I can't stomach having Pitt being closer to winning another cup.

If Pitt lines up against Boston, I'm confident they get demolished. Although anybody in the west could still smoke Pitt as well, except for Minnesota.
Toews versus, Sidney... how would Pierre survive?

05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
SAINDON

Personally, I'd rather Montreal beat Boston. I like the makeup of the Bruins team for the most part, but their fan base is annoying.

But, not sure if the Habs can beat the Pens, and I don't want the Pens winning another Cup. That would be very annoying.

Old
05-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
I think it's fair enough to not like the guy and I understand that. But you could at least acknowledge when he does something well. He's proven in the past he can have not only good, but great performances, but you can't seem to come to grips with the fact that, while in general it might be true he's not a great goaltender and in fact now only an average NHL goalie, that doesn't say anything about how he does in a particular stretch of games. Again, every time there's a debate about something in particular, you come up with strawmen and arguments that have nothing to do with the question at hand. I'm not arguing about whether he's a great goalie or not, because in fact I don't think he is. But that has nothing to do with what I said above.

In any case, you still have to earn the shutout. It's not his role to earn a shutout despite how his team plays, it's his role to be as good as he can given the team in front of him. He did everything he could and needed last game, so it's really mind-boggling you can't even give him one game. One game, seriously. This time he didn't even lose in a shootout like he did here against the Islanders.

Does he have to look pretty as a princess for you to proclaim him as having a good game? He looked shaky on some plays, but incredibly secure on others. Who cares? He got it done, and that's all that matters. Either you make the save or you don't. But going from your last sentence you don't seem to have seen these last couple of games, so it's hard to have a debate.
This feels like the Leighton debates.

His team gifted him a shutout. He looked pretty poor overall and was fighting the puck often, which is sad since his team made sure he rarely saw it come his way. It's pretty easy to tell when a goalie is having a great performance and when they've hardly been challenged, and Bryz was hardly challenged while looking like he would easily give up goals if tested. That wasn't reminiscent of Bryz in the first two weeks of last season when he was playing legitimately great hockey, it was reminiscent of Bryz heading into the 2012 playoffs...winning games but looking not-so-good in the process.

Closed Thread