HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVII

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Yeah, but you can blame Snider, Homer. Bryzgalov obviously didn't have the skill, it's not his fault he took a giant contract. If the Flyers offered me a 6 million dollar contract to play for the Flyers, I'd obviously sign it even though I've never played goalie in my life. That doesn't make me a POS does it?

It just seems like people have an unreasonable disdain for the guy.
This isn't a guy like Zherdev who had talent and didn't work well because he did his own thing, but at least tried to adapt. Bryzgalov flat out gave up. He didn't try, he didn't give a ****. That's completely inexcusable. It's one thing to suck because you lack talent, or because there is some flaw with you (Emery)...sucking because you don't feel like trying, and screwing your team over repeatedly in the process? Mortal Flyers Hockey sin. Unforgivable.

That's the difference between Emery and Bryzgalov. One is bad but is a complete warrior. The other is bad and is a complete slob. One deserves respect, the other deserves none.

05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Haha I was referring to Nonis, not the mouth-breathers on the trade forum.
I don't know but based off his tenure so far Nonis doesn't seem like a bright guy even if the time was limited so one could hope that Hextall could pull a fast one on him.

Old
05-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
This isn't a guy like Zherdev who had talent and didn't work well because he did his own thing, but at least tried to adapt. Bryzgalov flat out gave up. He didn't try, he didn't give a ****. That's completely inexcusable. It's one thing to suck because you lack talent, or because there is some flaw with you (Emery)...sucking because you don't feel like trying, and screwing your team over repeatedly in the process? Mortal Flyers Hockey sin. Unforgivable.

That's the difference between Emery and Bryzgalov. One is bad but is a complete warrior. The other is bad and is a complete slob. One deserves respect, the other deserves none.
EXACTLY

Bryz was garbage, had a garbage attitude, and doesn't deserve a single cent of that buyout.

Old
05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Bryz was a lazy, arrogant jackass that cashed his check and sat on his ass for the two years that he was here.
Quote:
Bryzgalov flat out gave up. He didn't try, he didn't give a ****. That's completely inexcusable. It's one thing to suck because you lack talent, or because there is some flaw with you (Emery)...sucking because you don't feel like trying, and screwing your team over repeatedly in the process? Mortal Flyers Hockey sin. Unforgivable.

What makes you guys think that? Seriously. I think what is most likely is that his outward attitude wasn't one of a "warrior" who tries hard all the time, but in the end there was no real difference between how hard he actually compared to, say, Emery. It's like seeing people that walk fast or do busywork. You think they're doing something really important and trying hard, but if you actually looked behind the scenes, you'd see that isn't necessarily the case. It's easy to make assumptions, though.

But maybe you have information on how he worked in practice, I don't know. If so, spell it out, because I seriously haven't heard anything but assumptions. Do you have anything from the coaches suggesting he didn't try or want to improve his game in practice?

I'll say again, though, that I totally see why someone would hate him, but you guys should also be aware of how much you're assuming and how much of it is based on the actual facts.

Old
05-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Screw practice, how about how they compare in actual games? Emery fights for rebounds and to make saves. He's tenacious. Bryzgalov...was not so much like that. He couldn't even be bothered to look around screens. A common refrain in GDTs was "Geez, at least try." Bryz quit. He was the Albert Haynesworth of goalies. And you sure as hell don't see Emery throwing petulant little tantrums whenever someone scores on him, throwing the stick, flopping around on the ice like he's been stabbed in the heart, shooting looks at whatever player he decided to blame for his own failure, et c. There's a reason no NHL franchise even wanted him as a backup after his buyout. He couldn't even get an AHL job. He was in the ECHL on a tryout until someone got desperate.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-08-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old
05-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

I thought it was reported (Meltzer?) at one point after he was gone that he wasn't exactly a model teammate as far as his work ethic in practice? Also, falling asleep during a meeting and on the bench and then overriding his coach by announcing he wasn't playing in the Winter Classic and then proceeding to make jokes about it etc didn't exactly scream commitment/resolve. I even remember how Briere pretty much said from that point forward (Winter Classic) he started to show a bad attitude in general. Guy was just a flake. Also his comments about Philly being dirty and lauding Stalin were assanine....

Old
05-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
Screw practice, how about how they compare in actual games? Emery fights for rebounds and to make saves. He's tenacious. Bryzgalov...was not so much like that. He couldn't even be bothered to look around screens. A common refrain in GDTs was "Geez, at least try." Bryz quit. He was the Albert Haynesworth of goalies. And you sure as hell don't see Emery throwing petulant little tantrums whenever someone scores on him, throwing the stick, flopping around on the ice like he's been stabbed in the heart, shooting looks at whatever player he decided to blame for his own failure, et c. There's a reason no NHL franchise even wanted him as a backup after his buyout. He couldn't even get an AHL job. He was in the ECHL on a tryout until someone got desperate.
I remember after one particular game where he played well but still lost he threw the rest of the team under the bus in a way by saying he did all he could and couldn't do anymore. Sounds benign but it was his crappy selfish attitude that was irritating. A good teammate says I could have done more and the bottom line is WE lost. Bryz was basically saying I won..they lost. He was such a piece o crap....the hate for him IMO is more than warranted...

Old
05-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Screw practice, how about how they compare in actual games? Emery fights for rebounds and to make saves. He's tenacious. Bryzgalov...was not so much like that. He couldn't even be bothered to look around screens. A common refrain in GDTs was "Geez, at least try." Bryz quit. He was the Albert Haynesworth of goalies. And you sure as hell don't see Emery throwing petulant little tantrums whenever someone scores on him, throwing the stick, flopping around on the ice like he's been stabbed in the heart, shooting looks at whatever player he decided to blame for his own failure, et c.
I don't think he was shooting looks at players to blame them, and he's definitely not doing that now. He did seem to be a bit defeated at times, but I can't remember an instance where he would be looking at players to blame them. It seemed like a general attitude after giving up a goal. But that could've just as easily been disappointment with himself. Different folks react differently to failure after having tried hard.

And just because Emery might be jumping around more doesn't mean he's trying harder. I won't deny that I sometimes, too, hated how Bryz wouldn't throw himself in the crease or something, but if a goalie prefers to play a more positional style, then that's his thing. It still says nothing about effort. For every Tim Thomas highlight reel save there's a save that another goalie makes by not being out of position in the first place. Well, alright, not for every one, but hopefully you see what I'm saying.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting both Emery and Bryz try equally hard. Maybe they don't. I'm saying we don't know, and these observations from afar are pretty useless.

Quote:
There's a reason no NHL franchise even wanted him as a backup after his buyout. He couldn't even get an AHL job. He was in the ECHL on a tryout until someone got desperate.
Is that so?

Old
05-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Also, falling asleep during a meeting and on the bench and then overriding his coach by announcing he wasn't playing in the Winter Classic and then proceeding to make jokes about it etc didn't exactly scream commitment/resolve.
OK, this is something more solid. I don't see anything wrong with making jokes afterwards, though. That doesn't say anything about his work ethic.

Quote:
Also his comments about Philly being dirty and lauding Stalin were assanine....
He never lauded Stalin, so I think your misinterpretation of his words is more asinine than what he said.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

I'm gonna guess those offers were very, very low.

I don't know how you can look at the visible effort levels from Emery and Bryzgalov during his time here and now see a huge disparity.

Bryz was a positional goalie who was lazy and sloppy with his positioning. Emery is a positional goalie who was very attentive to being in and maintaining the correct angle. Bryzgalov visibly quit on some plays, most notably one near the end of his term where he didn't even move...saw the skater coming in, and quit. He was shredded for that, by fans and talking heads, and rightfully so.

Here's a refresher on some of his stunts:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...es-personality

His whole treatment of the WC benching screams "crappy compete level." And that matches his play.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
OK, this is something more solid

He never lauded Stalin, so I think your misinterpretation of his words is more asinine than what he said.
No it was asinine 9 fold (assanine)

Actually, yes I know it was somewhat taken out of context. He was trying to make the strong man argument ....a dictator is sometimes needed to restore order argument. Hitler in the 30's was Time's Man of the Year at one point because of his economic policies that revived Germany post WWI ...albeit via the fascist business model. But if I recall correctly on the whole his rationale and views were pretty fascist and jerky..especially when he was talking about poverty in Philly and how people that are poor are essentially lazy. He sounded like a complete *********.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
No it was asinine 9 fold (assanine)

Actually, yes I know it was somewhat taken out of context. He was trying to make the strong man argument ....a dictator is sometimes needed. Hitler in the 30's was Time's Man of the Year at one point because of his economic policies albeit via the fascist business model. But if I recall correctly on the whole his rationale and views were pretty fascist and jerky..especially when he was talking about poverty in Philly and how people that are poor are essentially lazy. He sounded like a complete *********.
He didn't say "sometimes you need a strong leader." He said "Sometimes you need a strong leader and you also sometimes need to kill lots of people and imprison lots of others."

Old
05-08-2014, 05:26 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
I didn't miss these arguments at all haha

05-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
He didn't say "sometimes you need a strong leader." He said "Sometimes you need a strong leader and you also sometimes need to kill lots of people and imprison lots of others."
I can't recall it completely but I kind of got the gist of what he was trying to say and I remember saying it had some nuance to it but then he contradicted himself and showed his true colors a bit more with the other gibberish he was spewing.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
I'm gonna guess those offers were very, very low.

I don't know how you can look at the visible effort levels from Emery and Bryzgalov during his time here and now see a huge disparity.

Bryz was a positional goalie who was lazy and sloppy with his positioning. Emery is a positional goalie who was very attentive to being in and maintaining the correct angle. Bryzgalov visibly quit on some plays, most notably one near the end of his term where he didn't even move...saw the skater coming in, and quit. He was shredded for that, by fans and talking heads, and rightfully so.

Here's a refresher on some of his stunts:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...es-personality

His whole treatment of the WC benching screams "crappy compete level." And that matches his play.
I remember when we got Mason....all of the sudden when he would start a game he would attempt to help the D more by trying to play the puck a bit when it was safe to do so. Before Mason..he was like eff it....not gonna even bother.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Prongo
Beer

One thing I hate with HF is when fans think players are going to take paycuts for their team because other players are making a certain amount. That's just not how this business works and love their reactions when they get paid big

Last edited by Prongo: 05-08-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old
05-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Ryker

Quote:
You just made that up, didn't you? And even if he did say that, you do realize that is the current position held by your country, where the vote of majority goes, right? This is somewhat off-topic, but I'm just saying it's not a position that is uncommon in today's society. It's not politically correct to say that out loud, though, of course.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Screw practice, how about how they compare in actual games?
which of these 2 goalies routinely throws his stick in the air in disgust ???

hint its NOT Emery..

nuff said.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
You just made that up, didn't you? And even if he did say that, you do realize that is the current position held by your country, where the vote of majority goes, right? This is somewhat off-topic, but I'm just saying it's not a position that is uncommon in today's society. It's not politically correct to say that out loud, though, of course.
No, it is not a commonly held belief here that sometimes you just have to kill boatloads of your own citizens to get society in line, if that's what you're saying.

“Yes, he knew what he was doing. He is described as a ‘bloody tyrant.’ But at the time it couldn’t be any other way. Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions…"

Is a Byz-Stalin quote.

Old
05-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
which of these 2 goalies routinely throws his stick in the air in disgust ???

hint its NOT Emery..

nuff said.
No, he just throws his fists into an unsuspecting Holtby

I'm still shocked that wasn't split up, the officiating crew really botched that.

Old
05-08-2014, 06:20 PM
RJ8812*

Quote:

Is that so?

well, EDM is practically an ECHL team...

Old
05-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Chara is having a bad series

Old
05-08-2014, 07:55 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Is the Hobbit playing ?

Nvm

Old
05-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Ryker

Quote:
“Yes, he knew what he was doing. He is described as a ‘bloody tyrant.’ But at the time it couldn’t be any other way. Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions…"

Is a Byz-Stalin quote.
Well, yeah, that's what I meant when I said you made it up. That is, he never said that. I thought that was clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, EDM is practically an ECHL team...
Who's talking about Edmonton? One of the offers he had was from Chicago.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Well, yeah, that's what I meant when I said you made it up. That is, he never said that. I thought that was clear

Who's talking about Edmonton? One of the offers he had was from Chicago.
He made it really clear he had no problems with Stalin's methods or brutality.

Closed Thread