HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are we winning in the pre-season?

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 04:04 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Why are we winning in the pre-season?

Usually, teams that dominate in the pre-season are generally weaker teams. They have more roster spots open for the regular season, therefore, more guys have something to prove at this time. Ottawa is now 7-0, yet there's only one real roster spot available, and it's temporary (Havlat's spot). I've only managed to catch highlights of games here and there, but I know some of the others on this board have caught a lot more of the action.

I want to know what you think is the source for all this inspired play? It's probably a combination of factors.

It seems like many of our minor league guys have been looking pretty good (Giroux, etc.), and that's been a big source of it. Our regular's seem like they have been going strong. From those that have been watching more regularly, have they been out there working every shift, or have they just been capitalizing on their opportunities when they get them.

I'm not too worried, as I know our boys know the difference between pre-season and playoffs, and they're not going to overexert themselves unneccessarily, however, I would like to know wehat everyone thinks is the driving force behind all the success. Is it rookies trying to prove something. Is it veterans who are showing up in better shape than expected? Is it a bit of luck?

Old
10-03-2003, 04:09 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I don't think it means too much. Preseason in general doesn't mean too much one way or another. I don't think if you look back on the previous preseason standings, it is an inverse reflection of the good and bad teams.

I've only seen one game, but last night Ottawa was just plain lucky.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:47 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I don't think it means too much. Preseason in general doesn't mean too much one way or another. I don't think if you look back on the previous preseason standings, it is an inverse reflection of the good and bad teams.
If the latter is true, we hope the former is as well!

I'm guessing that one reason why the Sens are doing well this preseason is because with the big-league roster set, the coaches can concentrate on teaching the system rather than really scouting the prospects. Another reason might be goaltending depth: Ottawa's got three really solid netminders who have been able to spell each other, whereas Ottawa's been generally facing the likes of Grahame and Tellqvist.

Even though it doesn't mean much, I'm pretty excited about the preseason results, if only because it shows that our minor league guys are capable of playing hockey too. I had been worried about Binghamton this season, but my worries have been assuaged by the solid play of both newcomers and returning personnel.

Other Dave

Old
10-03-2003, 06:36 AM
Observer

vCash:
Personally, I think the boys are just having fun. Hossa, in particular, is just chomping at the bit to play. The winning is just a function of it. They all look pretty relaxed out there. Some of the young guys are putting in great effort. Why are they winning? To me in seems like they just don't feel like losing right now. Beats me. So long as they know they have to pick it up a step when the regular season begins (and they all know that), who cares?

Old
10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Don Draper

another reason i would say is that the sens dont have alot of up and coming rookies who are on the roster right now. Vermette is the only player that has something to prove on that front, but even he has a few years under his belt since his draft. I think what that does is bring out the fringe NHLers like Corso, Payat, Giroux, Hull, who are more relaxed in their role, and know how to play. These guys arent making the rookie mistakes that other teams are dealing with right now. So really we have our regular team, plus a few guys who could feasibly be playing for different NHL teams, so we have a more professional feel to our game

Old
10-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Puck
Ninja

Yeah, I think the depth players Muckler has brought in is showing, especially at D. And as mentioned above, the G is sound. And winning is contagious. Put an AHLer with guys like Hossa, Alfie etc... and they make you look good. I also think coaches like Martin and Pearn are obssessive, strong organizational nit-pickers, they don't let down even for contests that don't mean much. They're always ready. And they break things down simply for the players, they don't make them over-reach. I noticed every year how well Pearn organizes the rookie squad at the tourney, on such short notice. His teams often win.

Assuage, I like that. It made me stop for a sec. Always looking for words not often used LOL.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:29 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Maybe its Killer Instinct. Alfie and Hoss are leading by example.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:39 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

I think its because of deep depth. Whereas most teams will only dress a certain number of regulars, Ottawa can do the same and still have a good line-up. We can sit half of our regular line-up and still field a good team. Most other teams don't have that luxury!!!

Closed Thread