HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Paul Stastny's Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooserton View Post
He just got out of a re-build, he doesn't want to go to another one.
We missed the playoffs by 3 points in a season where Rinne missed 50+ games and we started a carousel of elite tenders including Carter Hutton, Devan Dubnyk, and Marek Mazanec...

Old
05-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
We missed the playoffs by 3 points in a season where Rinne missed 50+ games and we started a carousel of elite tenders including Carter Hutton, Devan Dubnyk, and Marek Mazanec...
Yet Legwand was traded and Trotz was fired. Nashville must add someone big this offseason if they want to compete in the west.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Yet Legwand was traded and Trotz was fired. Nashville must add someone big this offseason if they want to compete in the west.
Was kind of the point behind desiring Stasny and going after others like Vrbata.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Prongo
Beer

I think he re-signs with Colorado for around 7.25-7.6 million for 6 years.

Don't know if it was asked or not in the thread but where do the Avalanche plan on spending in regards to the salary cap?

05-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Mifroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Don't know if it was asked or not in the thread but where do the Avalanche plan on spending in regards to the salary cap?
He's not signing at that price lol.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
He's not signing at that price lol.
His cap hit is 6.6 right now. 28 and probably getting his last large contract from a NHL team. If he doesn't get it from Colorado he will take it elsewhere.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Mifroid

Quote:
His cap hit is 6.6 right now. 28 and probably getting his last large contract from a NHL team. If he doesn't get it from Colorado he will take it elsewhere.
Not sure why he would get in 7.5M$ territory... Most of the players his level signed between 5 and 6 in the last few years.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:25 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooserton View Post
He just got out of a re-build, he doesn't want to go to another one.
I wouldn't really say Nashville is in a rebuild. They barely missed the playoffs last season, even with Rinne being out for 51 games and AHL caliber goaltending for most of the season.

In fact, with some of the underlying numbers in Colorado, I wouldn't say they're a safe bet to stay where they were, either.

05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Legwand was traded because ownership didn't want to spend 5+ million dollars on a second line center when there were more pressing needs. Not to mention, the player they got in return has a good chance of outproducing Legwand at a far lower price as early as next season.

The point is...Nashville is looking for more "offense oriented" players, hence hiring an "offense oriented" coach.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:40 AM
p0ck3ts
BB Pisses Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

Roy and Sakic have been given the green light to spend to the cap...I believe that was part of the reason why Roy accepted the job last spring.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:45 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Not sure why he would get in 7.5M$ territory... Most of the players his level signed between 5 and 6 in the last few years.
How many of them were UFA's? How many of them were UFA centers in a year when there aren't any other 28 year old productive top 2 centers available?

He's not available yet, but if he hits July 1st, he'll most likely get north of $7 million.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Mifroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
How many of them were UFA's? How many of them were UFA centers in a year when there aren't any other 28 year old productive top 2 centers available?

He's not available yet, but if he hits July 1st, he'll most likely get north of $7 million.
Of course if he hits the market, he'll get around 7M$ per year.

But I think at 6-6.5 he remains an Avs.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:55 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:

He's already been at 6.6 for the last 5 years. Tough to see him taking a pay cut. If the Avs can make that happen, more power to 'em.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:57 AM
hockeyGod

Quote:

Yup, everyone will be making around 6 mil in Colorado.

Duchene, Lando & Varly are already right around there and I fully expect O'Rielly and Stastny to join them this offseason.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
He's already been at 6.6 for the last 5 years. Tough to see him taking a pay cut. If the Avs can make that happen, more power to 'em.
I don't know Statsny's career well at all but the counter argument to that in looking at his stats is...

While on his ELC, his performance blew it out of the water so he skipped the typical bridge contract, I believe.

But on this current contract, it seems he regressed relative to his 1st 3 years... so market value, $6.6M AAV is about right. But, he's the top UFA center and if hits the market, $7M AAV is likely

Old
05-08-2014, 01:40 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I don't know Statsny's career well at all but the counter argument to that in looking at his stats is...

While on his ELC, his performance blew it out of the water so he skipped the typical bridge contract, I believe.

But on this current contract, it seems he regressed relative to his 1st 3 years... so market value, $6.6M AAV is about right. But, he's the top UFA center and if hits the market, $7M AAV is likely
His stats don't tell the whole story.

His ELC, he played for Quenneville and an injury shortened year with Tony Granato as coach. Then came the Sacco years. When the coach thinks Brandon Yip, Kevin Porter and Chuck Kobasew are top 6 players, and Matt Hunwick is a top pairing D, you really can't expect a guy like Stastny to regularly have 50+ assists in a season.

Old
05-08-2014, 02:32 PM
letowskie

Quote:

If it is this late in the game, with a potential premier FA, I think the odds are pretty good that he will at least feel out the offers from elsewhere. This doesn't mean that he won't give a discount to the AVs, just that he would have a good idea of what he could get elsewhere, and what kind of offer from the Avs would constitute an acceptable discount.

My money is that he will end up with the Hawks. I don't think he feels that either the Avs or the Blues would be places where he can be assured of a prime chance at the cup anytime soon. The Hawks would provide him with the best opportunity (probably of any team) to win in the next few years. And they would also be the one high-end team (unless you consider the Blues a true contender) that still lacks a top-6 center, where Stastny would take on a critical role. Literally the only thing that stands between him and the Hawks is cap; and that's probably a manageable situation if the Hawks really consider it a priority, and that he would be more valuable than Versteeg+Oduya/Leddy (I don't think one needs much of an argument to be convinced.

Not a hawks fan here; it's just the logical conclusion if you think that he really wants to win, and wants to be at a place where he has a long term, critical role.

Old
05-08-2014, 02:45 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
If it is this late in the game, with a potential premier FA, I think the odds are pretty good that he will at least feel out the offers from elsewhere. This doesn't mean that he won't give a discount to the AVs, just that he would have a good idea of what he could get elsewhere, and what kind of offer from the Avs would constitute an acceptable discount.

My money is that he will end up with the Hawks. I don't think he feels that either the Avs or the Blues would be places where he can be assured of a prime chance at the cup anytime soon. The Hawks would provide him with the best opportunity (probably of any team) to win in the next few years. And they would also be the one high-end team (unless you consider the Blues a true contender) that still lacks a top-6 center, where Stastny would take on a critical role. Literally the only thing that stands between him and the Hawks is cap; and that's probably a manageable situation if the Hawks really consider it a priority, and that he would be more valuable than Versteeg+Oduya/Leddy (I don't think one needs much of an argument to be convinced.

Not a hawks fan here; it's just the logical conclusion if you think that he really wants to win, and wants to be at a place where he has a long term, critical role.
I'm sure Stastny is sitting at home thinking "Well, Colorado just won the Central Division, is loaded with young talented forwards, and a Vezina finalist goaltender, so my chances to win a Cup here are essentially non-existent. I'm going to sign with Chicago, for the less than $4m in cap space they have."

Old
05-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Cogburn

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0ckets View Post
Roy and Sakic have been given the green light to spend to the cap...I believe that was part of the reason why Roy accepted the job last spring.
It's not the "spending to the cap" portion that would nix this kind of deal. In the coming years, O'Reilly (this year, in fact), Landeskog, Duchene and Mackinnon are all on expiring contracts, all improving, and are, arguably, as good or better players then Statsny is.

If they hand him 7.25 this year, even with a rising cap, having 4 other forwards in the same range that would make a presumably similar amount would make navigating the cap in the future very difficult. Besides, after a prolonged stint with a team that he would no doubt have some manor of attachment to (both he and his dad have played with the franchise), it's not out of line for the Avs to expect some kind of concession in exchange for a longer term or a NTC.

On the open market though, I agree with Prongo, that seems like a realistic amount.

Old
05-08-2014, 02:51 PM
shifting

Who the hell are the Hawks going to get rid of to get enough cap space?

Old
05-08-2014, 03:02 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
It's not the "spending to the cap" portion that would nix this kind of deal. In the coming years, O'Reilly (this year, in fact), Landeskog, Duchene and Mackinnon are all on expiring contracts, all improving, and are, arguably, as good or better players then Statsny is.

If they hand him 7.25 this year, even with a rising cap, having 4 other forwards in the same range that would make a presumably similar amount would make navigating the cap in the future very difficult. Besides, after a prolonged stint with a team that he would no doubt have some manor of attachment to (both he and his dad have played with the franchise), it's not out of line for the Avs to expect some kind of concession in exchange for a longer term or a NTC.

On the open market though, I agree with Prongo, that seems like a realistic amount.
Landeskog is signed through 2021. Duchene is signed through 2019. Wouldn't call either one of those "expiring contracts".

And MacKinnon has 2 years left on his ELC. By the time he's ready for his next contract, PAP and Tanguay's combined $7.5m should be enough to pay most of his raise.

And, all expectations are that the cap will go up.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:14 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
I'm sure Stastny is sitting at home thinking "Well, Colorado just won the Central Division, is loaded with young talented forwards, and a Vezina finalist goaltender, so my chances to win a Cup here are essentially non-existent. I'm going to sign with Chicago, for the less than $4m in cap space they have."
The odds that Stastny ends up on the Hawks are pretty remote for at least a couple reasons - (1) he can get more money from another team than what the Hawks can afford, and (2) he's just coming off a very good season with a team loaded with a lot of very exciting young players - why would he want to leave?

But, one thing the Hawks could offer that the Avs probably can't is the opportunity to play top-6 center, because I have to think Duchene and MacKinnon will be the top two centers for the Avs for the foreseeable future. If playing wing is fine with him than I can't imagine he would leave the Avs.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:27 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Stastny would look seksi on the Oilers that's for sure, perfect opportunity for him and I think the Oilers would be very willing to give him the money he would ask for.

BUT Im quite certain he would prefer to continue to be a part of AVS and bring a cup there, especially considering the high end talent they have and where they have been.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:30 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
The odds that Stastny ends up on the Hawks are pretty remote for at least a couple reasons - (1) he can get more money from another team than what the Hawks can afford, and (2) he's just coming off a very good season with a team loaded with a lot of very exciting young players - why would he want to leave?

But, one thing the Hawks could offer that the Avs probably can't is the opportunity to play top-6 center, because I have to think Duchene and MacKinnon will be the top two centers for the Avs for the foreseeable future. If playing wing is fine with him than I can't imagine he would leave the Avs.
I thought there was enough sarcasm dripping off that post to be able to leave the off of it and people wouldn't think I was being serious. I apparently was wrong...

MacKinnon played RW much of this season with Stastny and Landeskog, and looked very good there. If MacKinnon stays at RW, a position where the Avs have very little talent/depth, Stastny still gets to play top 6 C.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

Why can't MacKinnon move to Wing like they did in the playoffs and have:

RoR-Duchene-
Lando-Staz-MacK

Seems to me Staz is still a top 2 center there. He isn't moving to wing because he is our best faceoff player and our most well rounded defensive center.

Closed Thread