HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Tremblay

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
donelikedinner

vCash: 500
David Tremblay

A local ottawa news show (A Channel) reported that David Tremblay turned down the Flyers contract due to the "uncertainty" of hockey, and his QMJHL coach said pursuing a university degree will make him better by removing the stress of professional hockey and allow him to focus on playing for the Gatineau Olympique and his education.

Does this sound weird to anyone else?

Old
08-24-2005, 06:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
A local ottawa news show (A Channel) reported that David Tremblay turned down the Flyers contract due to the "uncertainty" of hockey, and his QMJHL coach said pursuing a university degree will make him better by removing the stress of professional hockey and allow him to focus on playing for the Gatineau Olympique and his education.

Does this sound weird to anyone else?
It's probably not all that unusual. He obviously feels that he doesn't have a great future in the game, and would rather get a degree and do something else with his life. He can play his overage year with the Olympique and attend classes part-time next year. I'm guessing he has a pretty good education package when he's done in the Q.

Old
08-24-2005, 07:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2121
Sounds a bit like when Fred Arthur left hockey in the early 1980s to go to medical school.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=11872

Old
08-24-2005, 07:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Sounds a bit like when Fred Arthur left hockey in the early 1980s to go to medical school.

where the hell did you pull that name from, #6 I believe.

Old
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles

Stafford just did the same thing so it's not all that unreasonable.

It doesn't bother me all that much since we have three other goalies with more potential IMO. Not to mention how we keep drafting goalies no matter what the circumstances.

Old
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Brad*

He must have zero confidence in his ability, because I highly doubt he'll get another chance like that.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:13 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
He must have zero confidence in his ability, because I highly doubt he'll get another chance like that.
thats what i don't get, if you sacrifice so much to get to the pinnacle of amateur hockey, and get offered a contract, why bail now? education? get it during the summer months.

this situation really bugs me for some reason. i know, some kid who does want to be in the nhl is riding the pine, sitting as a backup or worse because Dave is wasting a starting spot on a competitve team.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
where the hell did you pull that name from, #6 I believe.

If you haven't read "Full Spectrum," it is a must.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:38 PM
MojoJojo

As much as I am a fan of education, and I have a dozen years of full and part time higher education to my credit, I have to agree that this should be the time the kid reaches for his dreams. In three or four years if he doesnt make it, its not like he will be broken down or destitute from a stint in the AHL. Its something he will never be able to do again, and regardless of what happens he will always have that nagging question "What if" in the back of his mind.

Old
08-25-2005, 12:15 AM
CarlRacki

As hard as it might be for some to imagine (myself included) perhaps being a professional hockey player isn't his dream. Perhaps after playing the game constantly for the past 10 years he's come to the conclusion that a) he's unlikely to make it to the highest level of the sport, b) he doesn't enjoy pucks coming at his head at 90 mph and c) playing hockey just doesn't make him all that happy. Who knows? Everybody has to make their own decisions in life and if dropping hockey and going to school is what makes him happy, then bully for him.

Old
08-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Larry44

What was the contract? A winter in Trenton or worse? It could not have been an AHL one. Why not stay in Quebec for another year at least?

CHL pays tuition for players and league graduates, so he can play Jr. again and then decide next year if he wants to turn pro. Or decide he wants to play at Cdn. University tuition free like Rucchin, Cross, Gregg.

He didn't have a great year last year, so maybe he wants to kick it in QMJHL first.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

A few people have said the kid should "reach for his dream to play in the NHL"

Maybe thats not his deam.

Realisticly David Tremblay has a 5% chance of playing in the NHL let alone being a starter. From what I have heard he has good grades so concentrating on school isnt that out in left field.

This happens a lot in the CHL, just not to many drafted players who are offered contracts.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Cuiff

Where are all the peps who said he was going to be a great tender? Once again, I am right. What John, forgot the bet?

Old
08-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Well, if he doesn't want to play professional hockey then good for him. I'd be currious to know what the offer was that he turned down though.

Incidently, my Father turned down a Pro Baseball contract offer when he was playing. He did not doubt his abilities, and would have very likely had a good career as a lefty pitcher. He was all ready to sign with Cleveland in the mid to late 50's but decided to go to College instead. My Father of course wonders how well he would have did, but Baseball players played for peanuts back then and his lifes passion led him elsewhere.

Old
08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
paxtang

It's a little different for baseball players though, lots of players get offered contracts and turn them down for college in that sport.

Tremblay isn't very good anyways.

Closed Thread