HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Luongo has to play for 3.2

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Benji Frank

vCash: 500
Well, now the Panthers can offer him 4 years @ 22 mill in Jan instead of the 5 @ 25 they offerred on the weekend and Luongo's agent will do the math and think wow ... now they're offering us 5.5 mill per year! I told you I'm good at this!! Let's take it Roberto!!!!

Old
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73
My point is this... Lupien stated that Keenan's offer was under 3 mil...

AKA, Lupien's willing to say anything to try to win... I wonder how much accurate info he's been giving Luongo.

Did Lupien even disclose to Luongo the 11th hour deal Keenan offered before arbitration? Or did he turn it down without discussing it with his client?

hmmmm...

Old
08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks
How will he feed his dog?!!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?
Said hungry,hungry dog will be replaced with a likewise furry but much less consumptive hungry,hungry hamster

Old
08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
he better kick his agent
Somebody gets it, and it's a 'Nole nonetheless.

Keenan offered 5 years at 25 mil before the arbitration which is more than fair and generous for Louie. His agent is a complete idiot.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
From TSN.ca:

"I think my numbers are right," Lupien told the Palm Beach Post on Tuesday. "I said to (Panthers General Manager) Mike (Keenan), 'Give him four (million) and four (million) and you've got two full years to find out what number you want to give.' If you go to arbitration, it's over. You'll have to trade him."

As someone else asked, if he's traded, does he have to be signed for one year at 3.2, or can they work out their own deal?

Old
08-25-2005, 10:55 AM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7

Keenan offered 5 years at 25 mil before the arbitration which is more than fair and generous for Louie. His agent is a complete idiot.
what don't you get.. he wants out of Florida???????????

why would he accept 5 years?????? when he only wants 2..... I would take it either.. he can make the money later...

Old
08-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
I see this more as Luongo himself wanting to get out of Florida at any cost, even $2 million immediately. I can't imagine for a second Lupien didn't inform Luongo every step of the way. Keenan is an idiot, had he offered a mere $800,000 over the arbitration award on a 2 or 3 year deal ($4 million per) prior to taking his star goalie to arbitration he might actually have a chance to keep the player instead of alienating them and making it almost a sure thing Luongo departs via free agency at the first opportunity. The $25 million 5 year offer was the last kick at the can in an attempt to buyout Luongo's animosity for management, but that failed, which seems to indicate we will see Roberto in a new uniform come the expiration of his arbitration award.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Fan-of-#9

Well if he can't lead the team he now has in front of him to the playoffs, he doesn't even deserve the 3.2 he got. He soo overhyped it's unreal. Lots of talent, but can he be a winner? That what matters. I guess we'll see this season.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
From TSN.ca:

"I think my numbers are right," Lupien told the Palm Beach Post on Tuesday. "I said to (Panthers General Manager) Mike (Keenan), 'Give him four (million) and four (million) and you've got two full years to find out what number you want to give.' If you go to arbitration, it's over. You'll have to trade him."

As someone else asked, if he's traded, does he have to be signed for one year at 3.2, or can they work out their own deal?
Can't negociate until next January I believe.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Hounsy

Quote:

Well if Luongo stays Healthy the odds are he'll still make is twenty five over the next five years and choose who to sign with for three of the five. As long as the gamble on Luongos health and game was Roberto's to make his agent has not served him wrong IMO.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Can't negociate until next January I believe.
Only if a player has a contract.

I guess what I'm asking (and I feel stupid because I really should know this) is: Is arbitration binding? I don't think it is, because teams have walked away from awards before. Would the award still be enforced if Luongo's traded to another team? I'd guess so, but I don't know for sure.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:

Man come on, what's so hard to understand. HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY IN FLORIDA ANYMORE! Maybe he's tried of wasting his career in a place where he will never win?

Old
08-25-2005, 11:03 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Only if a player has a contract.

I guess what I'm asking (and I feel stupid because I really should know this) is: Is arbitration binding? I don't think it is, because teams have walked away from awards before. Would the award still be enforced if Luongo's traded to another team? I'd guess so, but I don't know for sure.
I believe it's binding. There's no reason it wouldn't be imo or otherwise it would be an empty process.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:06 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Man come on, what's so hard to understand. HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY IN FLORIDA ANYMORE! Maybe he's tried of wasting his career in a place where he will never win?
You don't understand the value of money and ego then. If Keenan makes him a 6 mil plus a year offer, you don't think Luongo will change his mind? It's not about out of Florida, it's about the money!!! Just go read some of Thorton's comments prior to his extension.

Everyone who knows Luongo down here knows he loves the life in south florida, and by his own comments if the money was right, he'd have signed long term. That destroys your little-thought-out he just doesn't want to play in Florida argument.

Wisen up, juniors.

Edited: here's the quote - "If the price would have been right I would have agreed to a five-year deal," Luongo told The South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "That was the bottom line. In the end they didn't want to take the extra step."

Last edited by FlaPanthers7: 08-25-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
You don't understand the value of money and ego then. If Keenan makes him a 6 mil plus a year offer, you don't think Luongo will change his mind? It's not about out of Florida, it's about the money!!! Just go read some of Thorton's comments prior to his extension.

Everyone who knows Luongo down here knows he loves the life in south florida, and by his own comments if the money was right, he'd have signed long term. That destroys your little-thought-out he just doesn't want to play in Florida argument.

Wisen up, juniors.
Maybe he wants to join the Lightning because he thinks the Panthers might be moved?

Old
Egil

You can't renegotiate an arbitration award during the season (Jan 1st is for players who signed a contract). Not a big deal for Luongo (who is still a RFA), but that had a large impact in the Hossa negotiations.

Old
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Funny how all say he doesnt want to play in Florida anymore. He hasnt said this himself at all. Also he wasnt offered 5/25 at any time. It was 4/20 or 21/5. Luongo better fire his agent soon.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0825.html

Luongo's agent, Gilles Lupien, said he rejected a five-year, $21 million offer Tuesday night and a four-year, $20 million package made just before the hearing Wednesday morning. The five-year deal was proposed during the weekend.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

Wisen up, juniors.
Really? His agent never said Thornton was leaving. Thornton never said anything (Well, he did tell Murray that he loved Boston).

I don't see how this compares with Thornton. If it wasn't for that Larry Brooks article last year, nobody would have said Thornton wanted out. In the Luongo situation, his agent said "If you go to arbitration, it's over. You'll have to trade him".

Old
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
what don't you get.. he wants out of Florida???????????

why would he accept 5 years?????? when he only wants 2..... I would take it either.. he can make the money later...
not if he blows out a knee ...see Atlanta!

Old
08-25-2005, 11:16 AM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
You don't understand the value of money and ego then.

Nor do you if you believe that he should have accepted the 5 year deal.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Really? His agent never said Thornton was leaving. Thornton never said anything (Well, he did tell Murray that he loved Boston).

I don't see how this compares with Thornton. If it wasn't for that Larry Brooks article last year, nobody would have said Thornton wanted out. In the Luongo situation, his agent said "If you go to arbitration, it's over. You'll have to trade him".
No, I never said he did. But all indications were that the bridge had been burned and the trade rumours started flying; yet Joe re-signed when Boston showed him the respect, err, the money. It's the same situation here - at the right price, Luongo WOULD NOT leave Florida. It's simply a monetary issue and has nothing to do with the Panthers as a bottom-feeder team.

Instead of predicting a Luongo trade, I'll predict Lupien gets fired before Louie becomes a FA after next year.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
flambers

Keenan may have won the Arbritation case but he has lost a young goalie with tonnes of talent. I would be shocked if Luongo is not traded within the next few weeks.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:23 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pens
Nor do you if you believe that he should have accepted the 5 year deal.
Well he better hope he doesn't get hurt or tanks under the new rules then.

Sorry, but if you knew the details you would see the hypocrisy in Lupien's position. First he asked for 4 mil per for the next 2 years, then he expects Luongo to be paid in the Khabby category. Well, at 5 years, 25 mil - if you pay Roberto 8 million over the 1st two years, then that's 3 years at 17 million which is roughly 5-6 million a year range.

That's not reasonable for a guy who's yet to hit his prime or win anything in the NHL? I guess it'll be a difference of opinion...but I certainly understand the value of money and ego, and that's exactly what Lupien has Luongo convinced of - that's he's on par with guys like Khabby, Thorton, Brodeur, etc. He's even said it in the papers.

I don't believe the 'Cats should go any higher than 5 years, 30 mil. If that's too litte, see ya later Louie!

Old
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers
Keenan may have won the Arbritation case but he has lost a young goalie with tonnes of talent. I would be shocked if Luongo is not traded within the next few weeks.
I wouldn't trade him, I'd make him go through the process again next year. No one's denying his talent, but he hasn't carried a team the way the Brodeurs, Theodores, Roy's have.

If he wants out of Florida now, I wouldn't make it easy and would want the world in return for him. He's got no leverage till he's UFA...

Old
08-25-2005, 11:32 AM
flambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value
I wouldn't trade him, I'd make him go through the process again next year. No one's denying his talent, but he hasn't carried a team the way the Brodeurs, Theodores, Roy's have.

If he wants out of Florida now, I wouldn't make it easy and would want the world in return for him. He's got no leverage till he's UFA...

Sure he has leverage, only two years to UFA. Plus why would Florida want to play a #1 who is pissed off. Sounds like a nightmare type of situation and a great recipe to finnish in bottom of the league.

Closed Thread