HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Adult Hockey Prep at Chelsea Rink NYC

Old
05-01-2014, 07:54 PM
mzungu

vCash: 500
Adult Hockey Prep at Chelsea Rink NYC

Hi everyone! I need some advise.

I've been attending Adult Polar Bear learn-to-play sessions at City Ice Pavilion in Queens, NY once a week for just over 2 months. I really like it and want to improve to maybe try some lowest division hockey in not very distant future. But once a week is not really enough to step up your game and gain new skills fast.

My biggest issue is skating which I want to improve. I can skate forward, backwards, do stops and crossovers. So I've found Adult Hockey Prep at Chelsea Rink Monday nights. You have to pre-register for the remaining sessions (in my case it costs $240) and once you do it the money won't be refunded. So my question is - if anyone ever attended those session could you please advise if they could be helpful or they are for beginners who could hardly skate? Don't want to spend this much money without knowing I could improve my skating. Thanks

mzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:34 AM
NYRSinceBirth

It's for everyone, no matter level. They do focus on skating, but the direction of the sessions goes in cycles (at least it used to) - one week might might not even have pucks on the ice while the next could be simple rush plays.

So skating is always something they stress, but sometimes in conjunction with hockey plays. If you're primary goal is to really hone/put emphasis on skating, take a power skating lesson. They do absolute wonders.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 08:53 PM
mzungu

Thank you for your advice!

mzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:34 AM
adamkesher

Send a message via AIM to adamkesher
I'm signed up for this starting June 16. I heard decent things from the guys at Westside. Hoping it helps me get back on the horse.

adamkesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 01:20 PM
steevdeadman

I am taking skating lessons at Chelsea piers... I've got my forward skating down pretty good, but I'm super weak backwards. I have about three more weeks of lessons in skating, should I be thinking about hockey prep right after (if my backwards skating shapes up) or should I take more lessons?

steevdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Malarowski

I did them last summer, but we never had pucks on the ice, it was strictly skating. They were decent drills, but we had 1/3 sheet of ice for 2 groups (beginer & advanced) so certain things were limited.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote