HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Claude Julien safe for his Job???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2003, 04:46 AM
  #1
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Is Claude Julien safe for his Job???

I don't think we'll have that great of season even if we outshoot opponent but one thing looks to be certain that CG is modelled into long term plan on developing our young team so I don't think he'll be fired even if team doesn't leave upto expectations, lets hope we get some stability in the organization from this time on, I already like CG system atleast this keeps us fighting t'ill the last minute of the game, and effort goes long way then just playing Lazy!!!

Habs4ever is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 05:59 AM
  #2
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Results similar to those in the preseason games, if they go a quarter of the way into the season, would cost Julien his job without a doubt.

Corey is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:05 AM
  #3
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Hired to be fired, just like any other coach. The only question is "When". He must feel a lot of pressure, tho, knowing Doug Jarvis is in the wings. My guess is that BG won't wait too long, but Claude might surprise a few people.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:10 AM
  #4
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
I assume if BG was to fire CJ, he would have to have a french speaking coach in the wings. Don't see Jarvis filling that role, although I wouldn't be surprised if Jarvis was to become an assistant coach within a year or so.

Darz is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:16 AM
  #5
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I assume if BG was to fire CJ, he would have to have a french speaking coach in the wings. Don't see Jarvis filling that role, although I wouldn't be surprised if Jarvis was to become an assistant coach within a year or so.
Funny, but I don't think BG would be worried about Doug not speaking french. Pedneault and Tremblay, however, would certainly have a different opinion, but BG has made clear that he,s the one running the club.

I don't think he hired Jarvis just for the farm club. I may be wrong though.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:23 AM
  #6
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Funny, but I don't think BG would be worried about Doug not speaking french. Pedneault and Tremblay, however, would certainly have a different opinion, but BG has made clear that he,s the one running the club.

I don't think he hired Jarvis just for the farm club. I may be wrong though.
I hope that would be Bob's stance, and I love the fact he has taken a 'I don't give a @#$* what you think, I'm in charge' approach with the fans and media, but hiring a non french speaking coach, hmm.....I don't know if he'd do that.

Darz is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:25 AM
  #7
Raskolnikov76
Registered User
 
Raskolnikov76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I hope that would be Bob's stance, and I love the fact he has taken a 'I don't give a @#$* what you think, I'm in charge' approach with the fans and media, but hiring a non french speaking coach, hmm.....I don't know if he'd do that.

There's a guy named Larry who's available and speaks french too...

Raskolnikov76 is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:36 AM
  #8
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76
There's a guy named Larry who's available and speaks french too...
Yes, I could see Bob hiring him.



You mean Larry Hillman right?????

Darz is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:56 AM
  #9
Coco Fever
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Habs4ever,

I agree with you when you say that it looks like Claude Julien has a plan for the next few years...

Just like Jacques Martin did in Ottawa. Let's hope we get similar results in the regular season...but best results in the playoffs!!!

Coco Fever is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:00 AM
  #10
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
... but hiring a non french speaking coach, hmm.....I don't know if he'd do that.
Yeah, I agree, it's a stretch. But ...

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:32 AM
  #11
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
CJ isn't going to lose his job anytime soon. He hasn't had a full year with the club yet (about to, though) and he's just set up a system with the players. I think that's one of the main reason's this team hasn't been doing overly well this preseason. They haven't got this system down pat yet. I think once they get the hang of everything they'll turn things around. Also, I get the feeling he was brought in because all the prospects are making the dash to the NHL, and if he knows them well, and knows how to get them to work well then he should be the one to bring them in andbring them to full potential.

danboulie is online now  
Old
10-01-2003, 02:11 PM
  #12
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,957
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Just like Therien wasn't savards man, CJ isn't Gainey's man. It will be a matter of time. If they don't win, he will be gone

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 02:28 PM
  #13
P.U.S.H.
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
this is BS, I see Julien as the next Coach 2 come out of montreal and do something (the last being Jacques Lemaires) I don't want 2 see that happen again, I say Julien should be given as much oppurtunity 2 grow with the team as Jacques Martin was given itz not like Julien isn't as good, he just needs a year or two just like the Kidz do, the Kidz will better develop under someone they KNOW and trust and will listen 2, 3/4 of the kidz played under Julien in the AHL and played well they would learn alot from them, Julien and these kidz can only get better, I see Julien as a Jacques Martin (with more voice) he knows how 2 handle his players, I don't like Jarvis, don't want him Julien is the man he is the one who can help us win he's proved it at EVERY LEVEL of coaching, now he only has 2 prove it in the nhl.

 
Old
10-01-2003, 02:39 PM
  #14
8b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: montreal
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Coaching in NHL is one of the most unsafe job, if not the most. If Julien do not do great things this season chances are that Gainey will want a more experienced coach.

8b is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 02:49 PM
  #15
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
I don`t think Gainey is going to fire Julien just for the hell of it. I think if the team got off to a horrible start things will be different, but the habs roster isn`t exactly stacked with talent, Julien sorta has to make chicken soup with chicken $hit, I think as long as the habs are respectable Julien will be safe.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 02:57 PM
  #16
skidboot
Registered User
 
skidboot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
How about Carbonneau?


The Dallas connection....it could happen.

skidboot is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 03:02 PM
  #17
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
It would take a horrible start (a carryover of the preseason record to the first 20 games) to get Julien fired early. If the team plays decently (close to .500) over that interval, Julien will probably last at least for a full season because it would show that his methods are beginning to take root.

Carbonneau probably would not want to come to Montréal until his kids are past public school age.

Corey is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 03:08 PM
  #18
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Just like Therien wasn't savards man, CJ isn't Gainey's man. It will be a matter of time. If they don't win, he will be gone
Yup, it is all a matter of winning that matters in pro sports. If the team doesn't win too much the coach usually gets the axe

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 03:10 PM
  #19
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Gainey is supposed to be bringing stability to the Hab's organization. Firing the coach early into his first season is not going to accomplish that.

Gainey has stated he will go with youth, and one of Julien's strong points is teaching young players.

Jarvis was an assistant coach for 14 years in Minnesota/Dallas, and wasn't even a candidate for the head position when Hitchcock left. He didn't want to be a head coach is what I read.

Maybe Gainey has Jarvis in the AHL grooming him to be a head coach. Maybe he's there to teach the kids some defensive hockey before they make the show.

Bob MacKenzie said that Julien was the best coach not coaching the NHL, at the time of his hiring. Maybe he should get a chance to proove himself.

Gainey is not going lose his cool, and act out of desparation if we lose a few games. I say Julien's here for the full year.

Joe Malone is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 04:14 PM
  #20
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Honestly I just want to see us score some goals this season.

We have alot of talent up front. Why not build the system around the players, instead of trying to get the players to fit the system. It's like trying to get a line of Ribeiro-Petrov-Zholtok to play like the borad street bullies. Please, let's play to our advantage and try to control the play.

Brisebois is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:03 PM
  #21
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Either it is realistic or not, Gainey will want the habs to win a decent part of the games they play. Claude Julien have some room but certainly not as much somes seems to think. Guys, we are in montreal here. Claude Julien is going to have an hard time if the team struggle AND there's no sign of progression (can we agree it's possible at the least?)

As soon as the team will lost and Claude Julien will night after night comes in front of the micro to talk, you'll see what will happen. Unfortunatly, Claude Julien is not someone we can call a "good speaker" he have an hard time in both french and english. I can already see Michel Beaudry, Les Grandes Gueules and well half a dozen more humorists starting to imitate him on radio and tv and... Need I have to continue here? People will start to laught at the beginning and will use this defeat after defeat as a reason why he's not good or whatever. "He can think of a new system, he can't even talk correctly and blah blah blah". He will be dead.

Now you gonna say me this will not happen because finally we have a GM who's really totally in charge in Bob Gainey and that he dont mind about media and people opinion. TRUE but not appropriate to this case, Claude Julien is not Gainey Coach. Robinson, Jarvis, Carbonneau will be (or any other he will have take all by himself)

It's sad for Julien but he's not in a very different situation than Vigneault or Therrien were when they comes. And he wont have more chance, maybe less than Therrien since he has comes in Savard's decision and not Gainey...

Anksun is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:01 PM
  #22
CHareth
Registered User
 
CHareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
C'mon folks, let's not jinx the season before it even starts with talk of the head coach getting fired. Positive thoughts! Positive thoughts!

CHareth is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 12:16 PM
  #23
caper13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: cape breton nova scotia
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
i would say the plan is bob gaineys and not cj i will give cj until christmas or he will be gone that is to be over 500.

caper13 is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 12:19 PM
  #24
caper13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: cape breton nova scotia
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper13
i would say the plan is bob gaineys and not cj i will give cj until christmas or he will be gone that is to be over 500.
but i also think if the vets dont tune him out we will be alright

caper13 is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 06:35 PM
  #25
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Some posters here drool when writing about Doug Jarvis. Why? What has he proved as a coach, you tell me? Because he used to wear the uniform? Because he was an assistant and won the cup?

Julien has been a stellar coach throughout his career. Stellar ain't even the word. Spectacular!


Give the man a chance!

deandebean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.